• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Saty

First screenshot:

Torment-Tides-of-Numenera-first-gameplay-screen-600x337.jpg

http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/01/torment-tides-of-numenera-first-gameplay-screen-revealed/

Wakaloo

Neo Member

I haven't read anything by Rothfuss. The kickstarter update almost made me order his first book, but the reaction here is giving me second thoughts.

I don't know why people here don't seem to like him, but I'd vouch for exactly the opposite...

My recommendation would be you read the books. It's the best fantasy I've read in a while. His prose is delicious, intricate, captivating. The guy is a master of his craft, and I have anything but good words about his work. His character development reminds me of Robin Hobb, which is another writer you should definitely check out (her farseer trilogy particularly), if you like stories written from a first-person view where the author manages to keep it consistent, credible, and engaging.

I think this is very hard to do, because the writer has to "think" like the characters do during the whole thing, and it's very easy to stray from that path and add stuff that doesn't make sense in the context of the character.

Rothfuss is magnificient at this.

Nibel

I like it, but I need a bigger screenshot

They really seem to have nailed the look of the previous game which is pretty damn good

dude

dude
Even though the small thumbnail looks good, I hope they release a bigger screen because it's hard to make out the details and such.

I find it... okay-ish. It's compelling but I, perhaps, expected something more.

I think the fact that in terms of colour, aside from the blue lights, the screen literally only uses variations of brown does not help to create an inspiring environment. It looks moody and atmospheric, no doubt, but it doesn't inspire excitement or intrigue which are really the moods they need to be invoking.

Hopefully this is just the 'unfinished' version that Avellone saw, and there's still a final pass on details to come.

Grym

I'm extremely happy with how well it remains reminiscent of the Bloom concept art ("Sojourner of Worlds"), which I love.

Zukuu

Banned
I like it. It's an early screen shot and it shows a dark, colorless area, so it should be of no surprise that it pales in comparison to the very bright, colorful waterfall image of PE (which without doubt, is one of the most beautiful screen shots ever). It's very atmospheric and that is what counts. 3D could have never been this good.

Violet_0

Banned
looks great to me. The Project Eternity screenshot shows us a more interesting area of the game, this is just a section of a cave with a statute in it, but I do love the art direction they seem to be going for. For promotional purposes, you probably want a screenshot of a nice-looking exterior area with lots of small details that catch the eye, there isn't really much going on here.

Kind of odd really that they picked this as the first picture to show us from the game. Artistically I'd say it's very promising and on the same level as the one from PE.

Midou

I hope so.

Man, that PE waterfall™ screenshot really is something else. Perfect hype image.

It's true, though I'd say this kind of setting certainly fits a Planescape/Torment sort of game a lot more. It is perhaps not the best 'first shot', but seems fitting to me, artistically.

Midou

I remember the huge freak out on initial PE character art, it's good to give feedback and all, but some people seem to jump to conclusions and expect stuff this early is super finalized and representative of the whole game.

I personally think it is exactly what I was hoping/expecting from a screenshot of the game.

Lime

Not sure what some people expected...looks pretty in line with the concept pieces to me...

There's a pretty big difference in color palette between the two. The concept art has more purple and blue in it, while the 2D screenshot heavily relies on an overall brown.

The former looks almost ethereal; the latter looks muddy and heavy.

Top Bottom