• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

This is correct, however, P:E wasn't nearly as frontloaded as Torment appears to be. I think Dreamfall is a closer comparison -- however, even that made a bit less than half of its first day in the final 2 day push. If you apply that to Torment, you're still looking at ~700k on the last 2 days combined.

We didn't know during PE's run if it was front loaded or not, and we won't know if torment is front loaded till the end.

If you look at style of game/talent involved torment is much closer to PE than it is dreamfall

ZoddGutts

Sv1rgJ5.jpg

Next up, 4 Million.

Gattsu25

Banned
Almost. It got a million dollars in its final four days. About 600K of that in its final day. Wasteland 2 raised about 500K in its final four days, only about 100K in its final day. I'd expect Torment to perform closer to WL2 in this, Eternity's situation of raising both backers and average pledge-per-backer was unique, and Torment's pledge-per-backer average now is already higher than Eternity was at the end.

Torment was not just more front-loaded in total backers, but it also has a higher pledge-per-backer than Eternity, WL2 or DFA did. It really is a victim of its own success now, haha, but I think we've got some good stuff planned to try and push for that magic 4. 3.5m honestly I think we could make even without too much effort, but we plan to put in a lot of effort.

I hope you guys make it to 4.

Also, I will raise my amount if 2D pre-rendered backgrounds are a lock ;)

Violet_0

Banned
PE almost hit 4 million as avellone stretch of playing arcanum. I think the end rush push is not entirely affected by the nature of stretch

they had the 3.5 mil two cities stretch goal though, which was huge. But yeah, it might just hit the 4 million mark without 2D graphics, hard to say

ZoddGutts

Final Five days for the bigger funded games:

Project Eternity: 1,275,036

Star Citizen: 892,218

Double Fine: 854,788

Planetary: 714,557

Wasteland 2: 544,714

Shadowrun: 384,313

Dreamfall: 364,527

Source: kicktraq

It should do more than Wasteland 2 did. Project Eternity didn't hit 3 Mil till the final 5 days, Torment is still ahead of it.

Durante

We didn't know during PE's run if it was front loaded or not, and we won't know if torment is front loaded till the end.
That's not really true. We can certainly say that Torment has been more front-loaded than Eternity so far, just looking at these charts:
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/#chart-daily
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/#chart-daily

Whether this holds true throughout is not certain yet, but I see no reason to doubt it. If Torment would not end up more frontloaded, it should reach at least 6 million or so based on its first few days of pledges. Do you really think that will happen?

Perkel

Banned
That's not really true. We can certainly say that Torment has been more front-loaded than Eternity so far, just looking at these charts:
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/#chart-daily
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/#chart-daily

Whether this holds true throughout is not certain yet, but I see no reason to doubt it. If Torment would not end up more frontloaded, it should reach at least 6 million or so based on its first few days of pledges. Do you really think that will happen?

If you compare average user pledge not icluding first 3 days you will see that it has same if not better pace than PE.

Last 2-3 days will be big push.

glaurung

OK, bit the bullet and pledged $80 to Torment.

I will have long forgotten about these games when they finally manifest themselves in playable form.

Logging into Kickstarter I realized I have supported Republique too. Why the hell is that game not done yet? smh

SparkTR

I personally hope so. I booted up Fallout last night and was amazed at just how fantastic the artwork is. Same with Planescape. I really hope they do this.

Fargo has said that doing pre-rendered backgrounds is much more time consuming and expensive than what they're doing with Wasteland 2. If that does become a thing, it'll probably be a 4/4.5 million stretch goal. Even then I'd rather they spend that money on quests/dialogue/skills as opposed backgrounds. But I won't complain either way, pre-rendered looks nice.

szaromir

Banned
Almost. It got a million dollars in its final four days. About 600K of that in its final day. Wasteland 2 raised about 500K in its final four days, only about 100K in its final day. I'd expect Torment to perform closer to WL2 in this, Eternity's situation of raising both backers and average pledge-per-backer was unique, and Torment's pledge-per-backer average now is already higher than Eternity was at the end.

Torment was not just more front-loaded in total backers, but it also has a higher pledge-per-backer than Eternity, WL2 or DFA did. It really is a victim of its own success now, haha, but I think we've got some good stuff planned to try and push for that magic 4. 3.5m honestly I think we could make even without too much effort, but we plan to put in a lot of effort.
Victim of its own success? You should be grateful you've managed to raise $3M without anything to show for it.

based

Neo Member
OK, bit the bullet and pledged $80 to Torment.

I will have long forgotten about these games when they finally manifest themselves in playable form.

Logging into Kickstarter I realized I have supported Republique too. Why the hell is that game not done yet? smh

They never said it would be done before June though. I expect to see much more on it in the next month or two, although I doubt they'll hit their original release

glaurung

They never said it would be done before June though. I expect to see much more on it in the next month or two, although I doubt they'll hit their original release
No shit original release... The original release was slated for September 2012.

Sorry for thread derail.

I hope Torment hits four million bucks. This and Eternity should fuel that old school RPG fire.

Zukuu

Banned
I'm going to get the first kickstarter pledged game next month. Larry 1 remake. It's nice to finally see that a game actually gets released.

@2D render.
It's VERY important. 20 years from now 2D artwork will still look nice, where as wasteland will look fugly like hell in comparison to the artwork that will be used by then. 3D just doesn't age well.

Durante

Early 3D doesn't age well, but I think later 3D (say, post-2004) ages about as well as 2D does: that is, really well for stylized stuff and well enough when it goes for realism.

Personally, I'm not really invested in the 2D/3D question. But then again, I'm also not really into the whole "fixed camera" thing, I don't see the advantages over a more flexible camera system.

Midou

So if Torment hits 3.8 million, does it automatically count as 4 million with the 200k being thrown in? I guess paypal might help a bit too. :p

injurai

Banned
So if Torment hits 3.8 million, does it automatically count as 4 million with the 200k being thrown in? I guess paypal might help a bit too. :p

I'd imagine for the final tally. But not for the in progress stretch goals. I do think paypal though is always included.

Eusis

Early 3D doesn't age well, but I think later 3D (say, post-2004) ages about as well as 2D does: that is, really well for stylized stuff and well enough when it goes for realism.

Personally, I'm not really invested in the 2D/3D question. But then again, I'm also not really into the whole "fixed camera" thing, I don't see the advantages over a more flexible camera system.
I've been fond of likening the 32-bit generation with the 8-bit when it came to 3D versus 2D, as it was around those times that 3D/2D respectively gained enough detail to really draw something recognizable as what it was going for, and likewise the last generation and the 16-bit generations were when we regularly saw great, very well aging visuals for 3D and 2D respectively. Though it also does seem most of the best 2D was towards the latter half of the 16-bit generation, and 3D may've been a bit slower. Still, I think there's more early PS2 games that aged well than the first part of the PS1's life, if not in ALL of its life.

Anyways, if what I'm recalling of Wasteland 2 is right I think that'd age OK, honestly it's always been uncommon for RPGs to really be pushing the graphical envelope anyway, even when we're talking just 2D, well, look at Dragon Quest on the NES, or the first two SNES FFs relative to other games like Contra III. Took until FFVI to look really REALLY good whereas before it was a combination of monster sprites and some degree of personal preference, but monster sprites aside (which were still anyway) nothing that was very amazing on a technical level.

Fargo has said that doing pre-rendered backgrounds is much more time consuming and expensive than what they're doing with Wasteland 2. If that does become a thing, it'll probably be a 4/4.5 million stretch goal. Even then I'd rather they spend that money on quests/dialogue/skills as opposed backgrounds. But I won't complain either way, pre-rendered looks nice.

No doubt it's a tough choice because both would be ideal. I just have this vision of how the game could look with today's tech. Fallout is one of my favorite games visually, and seeing it in high resolution now I'm realizing just how incredibly crafted it is.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I'm in the minority here, but 2D pre-rendered backgrounds hold no appeal for me. I'd be fine if the game looked/played like that Wasteland 2 footage we got not too long ago (same with the camera).

I guess I'm in the minority here, but 2D pre-rendered backgrounds hold no appeal for me. I'd be fine if the game looked/played like that Wasteland 2 footage we got not too long ago (same with the camera).

If it was any other game, I wouldn't care one way or another, but as a pretty direct sequel to Planescape: Torment - a game where the 2D pre-rendered graphics are fantastic - it would be a bit of a disappointment to not use 2D pre-rendered backgrounds.

If it was any other game, I wouldn't care one way or another, but as a pretty direct sequel to Planescape: Torment - a game where the 2D pre-rendered graphics are fantastic - it would be a bit of a disappointment to not use 2D pre-rendered backgrounds.

If they can hit the same visual style/tone of planescape, I personally could care less about how they go about modeling the world. If the only way to match that setting is by pre rendered environments than I would agree with you in that I would be disappointed.

Celegus

Oh, nice! The link is blocked at work, but wasn't 3 million the milestone for getting Patrick Rothfuss on board? That's probably the most interesting thing about this game to me (having never played the old Planescape or any of those D&D games)

chifanpoe

Oh, nice! The link is blocked at work, but wasn't 3 million the milestone for getting Patrick Rothfuss on board? That's probably the most interesting thing about this game to me (having never played the old Planescape or any of those D&D games)

3.25 is for Patrick, it should hit that with paypal and KS by Wednesday/Thursday.

saxman717

Banned
Ah, ok ---- thought it was ~200K --- still looking good to hit that milestone later on this week! Could be within 1-2 days with a hot update :cool:

saxman717

Banned
Heads up --- looks like there is a $110 Oddity physical collector slot that just opened and is up for grabs.

I got in on the Artifact Collector level when a slot opened a few days ago. Anyone else on here a fellow Artifact Collector?

Top Bottom