• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Violet_0

Banned
side by side comparison:
y6svx0S.jpg

PE-TempleEntrance01-2560x1440.jpg

Lime

http://i.imgur.com/G5hDaAp.jpg[IMG]

fittingly so.[/QUOTE]

True, the brown color palette is consistent with PS:T - I am not arguing against that. I am merely pointing out that there's a noticeable difference in color (and feeling) between the concept art of Bloom and the 2D screenshot - albeit understandably so.

Still, I would argue that there's too much of an over-reliance on brown (and red) in the posted screenshot, thus making the picture seem imbalanced and "heavy". It's still an okay screenshot, it just isn't up to par with the great concept art we've seen so far.

Zeliard

I don't really see the use in comparing PE to T:ToN here. You are basically comparing Icewind Dale art to Planescape: Torment art. They're striving for very different styles.

Midou

True, the brown color palette is consistent with PS:T - I am not arguing against that. I am merely pointing out that there's a noticeable difference in color (and feeling) between the concept art of Bloom and the 2D screenshot - albeit understandably so.

Still, I would argue that there's too much of an over-reliance on brown in the posted screenshot, thus making it seem imbalanced and "heavy".

Fair enough, I suppose they can quell people's fears of 'brown' by showing a city or something next, but I imagine those are quite far off.

Naito

I don't really see the use in comparing PE to T:ToN here. You are basically comparing Icewind Dale art to Planescape: Torment art. They're striving for very different styles.

There might be no use to comparing the two but it is inevitable.
I'm not arguing about the art direction, which is really solid. I'm slightly disappointed (read as "not impressed") because I expected something different.
Perhaps it is because we were already spoiled by the inspiring artwork of the Bloom and this screenshot feels like something we already saw and are aware of.
To me it feels like the screenshot tries to strengthen his appeal to people who already pledged rather than attracting new backers:
the screenshot is faithful to the mood but it, kind of, fails to impress me.

It's not like with PE where we had not-so-great artworks about the companions and, then, we were treated with a beatiful shot.

Grym

Twitter

Brian Fargo ‏@BrianFargo 54s
The early feedback on the screen shot is super positive. Wait till you see animation in it this week! pic.twitter.com/JE0YOo4MZP

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
some ridiculous opinions here. I mean I understand that tastes differ and so on but Torment doesn't strive for crispy colours, contrast and extra details. It supposed to look dirty, organic and brown. Jeez, it's like criticizing colours of this room -
space-jockey1.jpg
of being too monotone.

Slair

By the sound of the kickstarter update it seems it was about 4 people working after hours checking out the feasibility of pre-rendered backgrounds for the project. When this kickstarter began they were pretty much leaning towards 3D environments.

I see the screenshot as a quick and dirty shot at a potential area, probably without much iteration or without much planning, getting a graphical baseline out the door before the kickstarter ends.

Looks good to me. I mean, it's obviously early on and they'll have a chance to polish this up later if they even use this environment exactly, I'm pretty sure this was just meant to show the art style they're going for and also perhaps run some tests with Unity.

grumble

some ridiculous opinions here. I mean I understand that tastes differ and so on but Torment doesn't strive for crispy colours, contrast and extra details. It supposed to look dirty, organic and brown. Jeez, it's like criticizing colours of this room -
space-jockey1.jpg
of being too monotone.

People are very sensitive to a brown palette after being drenched in brown coated 'next gen' visuals.

Midou

I thought that was after if the KS made it past 3.5. That's too bad, no Avellone or 2D :/

Well last few days usually have a push. Plus if it gets to 3.3 million, then 3.5 is guaranteed as they are adding 200k to the kickstarter on top of what is there. I imagine they would make it count towards the goals.

Grym

I thought that was after if the KS made it past 3.5. That's too bad, no Avellone or 2D :/

It is already 2D, and the Avellone stretch goal will happen easily. Now the next one for that Oasis city they teased earlier? Dunno...but we'll see how high we have to go to get it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well last few days usually have a push. Plus if it gets to 3.3 million, then 3.5 is guaranteed as they are adding 200k to the kickstarter on top of what is there. I imagine they would make it count towards the goals.

I didn't think the extra 200k would count toward stretch goals, but I don't know for sure.

It should see enough of a surge at the end to break 3.5 easily though.

Sullen

Looks excellent. Though I'm not surprised to see graphics whores already trying to dissect the image and whine about it.

Llyranor

I like the look.

I really hope we can hit the water city tier when they announce it.

Can't increase my pledge this time, though. 250 was really really the upper limit here.

Just to reiterate: there is no 2d stretch goal. While they said that the amount of money made influenced their possibilities for the graphic approach, they never tied it to a specific stretch goal, and they've already confirmed they're doing 2d environments (that's the whole point of this update, showing a rough early draft at what they're aiming in terms of looks and elaborating in the write-up).

Also, Kickstarter campaign are always bound to raise the most at the beginning and at the end of the campaign. That means that very very likely we're going to at least reach $3.5 million and Avellone will get on board.

Velinos

Just to reiterate: there is no 2d stretch goal. While they said that the amount of money made influenced their possibilities for the graphic approach, they never tied it to a specific stretch goal, and they've already confirmed they're doing 2d environments (that's the whole point of this update, showing a rough early draft at what they're aiming in terms of looks and elaborating in the write-up).

Also, Kickstarter campaign are always bound to raise the most at the beginning and at the end of the campaign. That means that very very likely we're going to at least reach $3.5 million and Avellone will get on board.

Not sure if it is more because of the update or it getting close to the end, but the numbers have been climbing steadily all morning.

Froli

The environment seems to suffer from Pillow shading. I also think it would been best to showcase more interesting areas than this.

It may not look as good as that PE screen(not a lot of things do), but it sure as hell is a lot better than the first Wasteland 2 screen that was released :p

Velinos

Our PayPal donations now total $67,776.

That plus the current KS numbers puts it at just over 3.35 mil, which means another stretch goal met and another step closer to getting Chris Avellone. Let's keep it going!

~Kinggi~

Banned
Think it looks great considering they had to work overtime to get it done. Think it shows how it stays close to the concept art fairly well. Also shows it has the torment style to it. The concept art has been really varied so this style looks like it would do good to support it.

Edit:

Shieeeeeet

Brian Fargo ‏@BrianFargo1m
The early feedback on the screen shot is super positive. Wait till you see animation in it this week!

Love the screenshot, the world is going to be just beautiful to explore and take in. Does anyone know if I was to change my backing to a Paypal one would that mean they get the whole 100% or do they still need to give a kickback to someone (other than paypal fees). I just want these developers to benefit the most and I don't mind losing my $20 if I upgrade to the $35 with soundtrack and additional novellas.

This looks pretty amazing considering they've not really started with the game.
The ground looks a bit zerg-creep-esque, whereas I was kinda envisioning it as a "lighter" web-esque material - though you can see how it looks like that in the background.

I think the picture would be improved by increasing the blue tint of the ground, so anyone with photoshop skills up for the task?

EDIT: Gave it a go:

epmode

Does anyone know if I was to change my backing to a Paypal one would that mean they get the whole 100% or do they still need to give a kickback to someone (other than paypal fees).
The devs get a little more money this way. Paypal fees are about 5%, I think, and Kickstarter doesn't get a dime. The normal way, Kickstarter and Amazon get 5% each.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Im wondering if their streamlined production pipeline basically involves sculpting something and then painting it in super hi-res in Z-Brush and then setting something up to pre-render it. So its basically 3d, with some post photoshop stuff. Image kinda looks like a Z-Brush model. The trick i guess is finding a good render directly from zbrush, or maybe using displacement maps or normal maps in maya and render it there could work.

Im wondering if their streamlined production pipeline basically involves sculpting something and then painting it in super hi-res in Z-Brush and then setting something up to pre-render it. So its basically 3d, with some post photoshop stuff. Image kinda looks like a Z-Brush model. The trick i guess is finding a good render directly from zbrush, or maybe using displacement maps or normal maps in maya and render it there could work.

That is kinda what I thought it looked like, especially towards the left/bottem part of the structure.

The devs get a little more money this way. Paypal fees are about 5%, I think, and Kickstarter doesn't get a dime. The normal way, Kickstarter and Amazon get 5% each.

Thanks, I asked on the backer comments section and got a similar answer (alluding to 10% going in fees vs paypal fees). So I went ahead and changed to paypal and upped my backing to get a little more out of this. The only problem with that is I can't make comments on the KS page anymore but I'll survive.

2014 is going to be a good year, not only will this game be coming out but I'll also have fewer classes at Uni, meaning more free time to enjoy this game.

Top Bottom