• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

sflufan

Banned
On a day with all the (as yet unproven) Microsoft bullshit, a company with a TRUE passion for gaming got over 70,000 people to give it over $4 million to make a game on little more than a promise and faith.

That is worth a bit of a smile.

Zeliard

I'm feeling ok at my final $110 pledge. i went back and forth so many times to the 275 one. All off the extra stuff would of been nice, but i really just was interested in the Corebook and printed player guide, but i couldn't justify 100+ more for it.

That was me for the last hour or so of this drive, but I finally caved and went with the $275 tier. I figured I was gonna get the (certain-to-be glorious) Corebook anyway, and having physical copies of the novellas will be nice too (along with beta/alpha access since I just want my hands on something asap). I don't mind digital reading but I still prefer the old school when it comes to that. :)

Even more useless than a Stronghold, unless I'm crafting words. Then that's a different matter!

Yeah Chairman Yang and I were questioning the inclusion of crafting earlier. Dunno. I think if they tie it to the narrative/setting in an interesting way and have it be non-obstructive from a gameplay standpoint, it could work.

The stronghold as well could potentially be cool if they channel some of the setting's creative energy into it.

Generally I'm not much for those mechanics but Torment is all about subverting shit, so the devs may be able to twist those features into unique and interesting shapes.

I don't even know what this is and I haven't played a CRPG in my entire fucking life... but I pledged like 4 minutes before it ended:

2uCgc

I also gave 20 bucks for Project Eternity back then, they will be my first ones

I don't even know what this is and I haven't played a CRPG in my entire fucking life... but I pledged like 4 minutes before it ended:

2uCgc

I also gave 20 bucks for Project Eternity back then, they will be my first ones

Good.

I'm huge with JRPG's(only good ones like Megaten games)... I've tried CRPG's but holy shit they are always about AMAZING AS FUCK stories and horrible gameplay, I have a hard time checking them out.

I need to play Planescape now, right? ;-;

Yes you do.

Etrian Odyssey is better than your silly CRPG games. (I will try and play Planescape :p )

Actually, since you're an EO fan I'd recommend trying Icewind Dale 1 and/or 2 to pop your CRPG cherry. Its similar to EO in that its a dungeon crawl with a fully customizable party.
Torment is NOT the game to play if you're new to the genre IMO.

Zeliard

Actually, since you're an EO fan I'd recommend trying Icewind Dale 1 and/or 2 to pop your CRPG cherry. Its similar to EO in that its a dungeon crawl with a fully customizable party.

I dunno man, I've disagreed with people on this. I think Torment actually makes for a good way to get in IF you go into it aware of some things - that is, that it contains a lot of text, and that to get the most out of it, you'll need to do quite a bit of (delicious) reading.

I think if a person goes in knowing that, Torment can make for a relatively accessible game due to its lack of focus on combat and general intricate mechanics. It's really a game about its setting and its characters, and the constant conversation that goes on between everyone.

The biggest obstacle a person could have may be the weirdness of the Planescape setting, but personally, that was one of the biggest attractions. People will react to it how they may :p

I'm just not interested in anything else, I think I'll give Planescape a spin later this year or next year.... I HAVE TONS OF TIME ANYWAYS. BUT THANKS, I'll keep it in mind because I love dungeon crawlers.

is the new one going to have any relation or it's just a spiritual sequel?

Eusis

Etrian Odyssey is better than your silly CRPG games. (I will try and play Planescape :p )
Except EO is just Wizardry with cutesy anime! And more accessible.

Hrn, I guess compared to old Wizardry it took inspiration from it really would be better.
Oh, I'm in the beta now :3
I pointedly avoided that. Might be worth it for something like Wasteland 2, and morbidly fascinating with Shroud of the Avatar, but this? I want to jump in on the completed product.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Because Torment subverts genre tropes, it makes sense to play a typical CRPG beforehand. It's not necessary, though. You can still enjoy the hell out of Watchmen without having read any superhero comics; you'll just understand its references and intent better after you have a broader exposure to the medium.

Hrn, I guess compared to old Wizardry it took inspiration from it really would be better.

I've played tons of Wizardry, and I believe Etrian Odyssey is the natural evolution of the series without changing the core of it.

Edit: Accesible? I had a harder time finishing some Wizardry games than EO1-2

I pointedly avoided that. Might be worth it for something like Wasteland 2, and morbidly fascinating with Shroud of the Avatar, but this? I want to jump in on the completed product.

It is really tempting, but I think I'll attempt to stay away from it.

same here. but it's quite nice we have a direct source of information in squiddy now ;)

damn it's probably 3am til the band starts playing.

Eusis

I've played tons of Wizardry, and I believe Etrian Odyssey is the natural evolution of the series without changing the core of it.
It's probably a good example of why making more accessible =/= bad. The problem is almost always with oversimplifying and sticking with familiar design just because it's popular and you don't want to scare people away (what happened to Bioshock essentially), when what's really ideal is easing people into more complex or hardcore kinds of games without treating people like idiots. And settings to make it easier to get into without messing up the core balance and design for those that want that.

That is getting kind of off topic, although I would hope this is "accessible" in the sense that anyone crap at combat can still get through and experience the story since it's supposed to be more narratively driven.

Durante

Just saw the result, everything went better than expected.

Torment was my first isometric CRPG. I played it last year, and enjoyed it immensely.
I always love reading impressions like this, since it (hopefully) shows that fans of this type of game are not a closed group that will only decline from now on, but that it's still possible for people to discover and enjoy them.

Blackheim

Didn't see anyone mention it. When they announced the totals for KS + Paypal on the stream, it was said that the 200k Fargo & other dude are adding puts them over the 4.5mil threshold so the stretch goal is considered reached (unless they change their minds when they sober up >_>)

~Kinggi~

Banned
Didn't see anyone mention it. When they announced the totals for KS + Paypal on the stream, it was said that the 200k Fargo & other dude are adding puts them over the 4.5mil threshold so the stretch goal is considered reached (unless they change their minds when they sober up >_>)

What really? Their stance has always been it wouldnt count..... Interesting.

Blackheim

What really? Their stance has always been it wouldnt count..... Interesting.

Yeah I know, they said it would be considered a little something extra to cover funding fees. So, either they changed their minds or the guy (shame on me, can't remember his name) got a little ahead of himself and said it counted... Not going to complain if it counts!

Maybe we'll get a mind fortress after all?

Top Bottom