• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

jzIkZyShwddDM.png

iLjXXvEty1Q.gif

DTKT

Shame.

A proper stronghold would have been great. The stronghold mechanic in NWN2, while kind of obtuse and broken, still allows you to shape the world beyond the characters and the story. It's nice to see yourself have an actual impact on the game.

Myomoto

Shame.

A proper stronghold would have been great. The stronghold mechanic in NWN2, while kind of obtuse and broken, still allows you to shape the world beyond the characters and the story. It's nice to see yourself have an actual impact on the game.

True, but I doubt the 'stronghold' they had intended would something a literal as the one in NWN2 (which yes, was really fucking rad!). I feel like the story is more geared for you being a wanderer on a long journey, whereas NWN2's story was more like a series of small adventures that then culminated in preparing for invasion of the world you had explored.

We thought it would be helpful to clarify a bit what we mean by a stronghold for Torment. It would be a location in the game that is “owned” by the PC, but won’t be a cozy home – it would be designed to fit the atmosphere of Torment and the setting of the Ninth World of Numenera (examples include an airship or a dimensional pocket). It would be a playable area and would include its own sorts of quests and challenges. We don’t intend for the stronghold to be a management mini-game, but it may serve gameplay functions as a storehouse, travel hub, and/or “museum” for accomplishments.

While a permanent home can be very relevant to one’s life, many do not leave such a legacy. Thus not only would the stronghold likely be optional, but its exact form within the game might change based on your decisions. It might not be a physical location at all (or even a static one – it may travel with you) and it would be well integrated into the storyline. Colin’s been resurrecting and evolving ideas from when we first considered the feature before culling it, and we hope to be able to run with them.

This sounds so awesome, can't you guys see how awesome a stronghold would be?

94k in a week!
It can be done!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I got a question, it's for Kickstarers in general. When codes and things like this are handed out, digital things, I should just get an email specifically stating 'here it is' on the email I used for my kickstarter account right?

I don't want to have to set up a shovel knight, eternity, torment, maia etc account

DTKT

I got a question, it's for Kickstarers in general. When codes and things like this are handed out, digital things, I should just get an email specifically stating 'here it is' on the email I used for my kickstarter account right?

I don't want to have to set up a shovel knight, eternity, torment, maia etc account

Unfortunately, most developers will create an account system for their own titles. They might send a Kickstarter email urging backers to link their Kickstarter account with their own proprietary database, but that's it.

zkylon

zkylewd
of the games they suggest to support:
Camelot Unchained is a counter-revolutionary RvR-focused MMORPG from Mark Jacobs and CSE set in a post-apocalyptic yet familiar world.

what the hell is a counter-revolutionary rpg?

mclem

It's not a well-defined thing; different KSes will run it differently. The one recurring factor is that at one point after the Kickstarter is concluded you'll get a questionnaire which will ask for whatever information they need to fulfil your tier reward. For Project Fedora I've been given access to a website (yes, with its own standalone account) allowing me downloads of all the digital rewards as they become available. Diamond Trust of London asked for my home address to send physical rewards; Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams just asked for an email address on which I recieved a Steam code and pointers to a DRM-free download.

So, yeah. Ultimately, the folks running the KS can choose to fulfil the rewards any way they wish.

What's the current total amount with the newest PayPal sum?
Latest update was 3 days ago:

4,188,927+231,134= $79,939 left
Assuming that 5k from RPGcodex hasn't been added to the pot yet, then we need $74,939.
At this point I just want them to say "fuck it, we're adding the 4.5million tier anyway".

Naito

Latest update was 3 days ago:

4,188,927+231,134= $79,939 left
Assuming that 5k from RPGcodex hasn't been added to the pot yet, then we need $74,939.
At this point I just want them to say "fuck it, we're adding the 4.5million tier anyway".

Thanks, I thought they were updating their PayPal numbers today (?) and we had a new total amount.
2 days left then, doesn't seem it will hit 4.5m..!

Tarsul

would be so weird if they didn't add the final stretch goal. Especially considering that Collin and co. are already thinking about how to implement it...

Imo they should only do it then if they feel it fits the game perfectly.

Top Bottom