• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

wrowa

Yeesh. That's way too much for us, haha :p Like Brian mentioned in an recent Forbes interview, if we'd want to ballpark a "smash hit", it'd be something like 200K sales at full or near-full price. Not quite what publishers aim for, is it, haha, but since it's self-distributed, you'd have to think 100K such sales already surpass the profit margin of the money we raised with the WL2 Kickstarter.

We haven't set any hard targets yet so I'm just ballparking and spitballing. It's not like we really *need* sales with the game's budget done and the next game's budget done, but there are levels at which you could call it a smash hit, and they're way lower than what you'd think of for a publisher.

Not sure if you are able to talk about such things, but is there a chance that W2 and Torment will be distributed at retail in certain countries some time after launch or does the team exclude such a possibility since boxed copies are supposed to stay exclusive to backers?

I'm asking since there are quite a few indie games being released in stores in markets with a strong PC presence (In other words: Europe/Germany) and I wonder if you would be willing to make a deal if someone approached you (and I'm pretty sure there'll be at least a certain degree of interest, considering the PC RPG market is still relatively popular).

Lime

Not sure if you are able to talk about such things, but is there a chance that W2 and Torment will be distributed at retail in certain countries some time after launch or does the team exclude such a possibility since boxed copies are supposed to stay exclusive to backers?

I'm asking since there are quite a few indie games being released in stores in markets with a strong PC presence (In other words: Europe/Germany) and I wonder if you would be willing to make a deal if someone approached you (and I'm pretty sure there'll be at least a certain degree of interest, considering the PC RPG market is still relatively popular).

Check out the Forbes interview with Fargo (at work, can't link).

Here's the Forbes interview. It's a really good read

Boxed copies aren't exclusive to backers. There are just specific editions of boxes exclusive to backers, like the Torment CE. I don't think Wasteland 2 promised any exclusivity for either its big box or CE.

Sure. I know Brian plans to explore retail options. Little early for that now, though no doubt he has his lines open to some people. That's on his end tho', I don't really get involved on that level of decision-making.

Velinos

Paypal reaching 320k isn't going to happen anyway.

You also need to remember that the Paypal donations only hitting $120k during the Kickstarter was because everyone else was using Kickstarter for their donations.

All inXile needs to do is announce a few more add-ons, like the large cloth map from the $500 tier, and get everyone to donate a few more $$$ and they'll get $200k easy.

Zukuu

Banned
You also need to remember that the Paypal donations only hitting $120k during the Kickstarter was because everyone else was using Kickstarter for their donations.

All inXile needs to do is announce a few more add-ons, like the large cloth map from the $500 tier, and get everyone to donate a few more $$$ and they'll get $200k easy.

Yeah, they need to have media presence every now and then where the paypal pledge stretch goal thing is also mentioned.

Yeah, they need to have media presence every now and then where the paypal pledge stretch goal thing is also mentioned.

Eh. I don't know if you should expect us to push it in any major way. Seems like a waste of effort at a time when we're focused on the initial pre-production planning. If we hit it, ok, if we don't, also ok.

Well they still can't wait forever. That money can only fund so many years' salaries.

Yeah, people say that "take your time" thing way too much, but that's not how it works. The games are fully budgeted for a specific time-frame. You may find some months leeway, especially if you have other income streams (like inXile does), but you're not going to be able to delay indefinitely. With significant delays you might actually be better off in the publisher-framework than the Kickstarter-framework.

The balance works well not because of delays, but because your initial planning should be way more realistic and is not focused at all on marketing and hitting certain quarterlies for released. If you do that step well, then you shouldn't have to worry too much about major delays. So yeah, there's truth to "they don't have to rush it" in the sense that no one else is determining their schedule, but at the same time, there's still a budget, and it's very inflexible, even compared to publishers.

Famassu

Can you still pledge money somewhere? My friend somehow missed this (even though I send him a link to the Kickstarter page day 1 of the Kickstarter... >_> ) and would perhaps still want to participate.

Zukuu

Banned
Can you still pledge money somewhere? My friend somehow missed this (even though I send him a link to the Kickstarter page day 1 of the Kickstarter... >_> ) and would perhaps still want to participate.

See that is what I mean Brother None. :D
I mean just mention it when you have a new interview, or get featured on a website. They could add at the bottom "Pledges are still open until the end of april via paypal, if you have missed out the kickstarter. This will also count towards the last remaining stretch goal." or something like that^^

mclem

On a side note, let me suggest your next project: a Darklands remake.

I suspect they'd go for an option that allows them to leverage the tech they made for these games, but if they *are* willing to be brave with the third game, I'd love to see a Bard's Tale 4. Who owns the RPG system used in that (and for that matter, the rights to the name?)

Avellone has me now interested, but please try something a bit different from the typical Dungeons and Dragons layou (no predetermined cliche classes like "Warrior" or "Mage"). That shit is as overused as the modern shooter. Surprise me.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Avellone has me now interested, but please try something a bit different from the typical Dungeons and Dragons layou (no predetermined cliche classes like "Warrior" or "Mage"). That shit is as overused as the modern shooter. Surprise me.
The Numenera "Character Creation" page has some info:

The game system itself is designed to be quick and easy for beginners, while offering additional complexity for those who desire it. To start with, character creation involves making three basic choices. The three features you choose combine to create a unique, well-rounded character. Players wanting the ability to configure their character more completely have that option as well.

First you choose one of three types:

Glaives are the warriors of the Ninth World. Glaives can wear heavy armor and wield massive weapons, or they can fight with light weapons and armor so they can move quickly.
Nanos are wizard-like characters who harness the numenera to work miracles. These miracles, called esoteries, walk the line somewhere between machine and magic, depending on the Nano’s particular skillset.
Jacks are named after jacks-of-all-trades. They have a lot of tricks in their bags, which makes them skilled at a little bit of everything.
Second, you choose from a number of descriptors like clever, tough, strong-willed, or mystical.
Third you choose a focus, which really distinguishes your character. These can vary from crafting illusions to becoming a master of a single weapon, from wielding magnetism to being a great leader.

These three choices help shape your character, providing not only abilities and skills but also possibilities for interesting backgrounds and unique bonds with the other player characters. In other words, at every step of the way, the story is as important as the mechanics.

So it looks like the "Warrior, Mage, Rogue" paradigm is probably going to be the foundation of the game. That said, between the descriptors and foci, there's likely going to be plenty of opportunity for breaking the mold.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Jacks != Rogue tho.
That's true, they're not exactly Rogues...more like a combination of Rogues and Bards. And I would imagine Nanos are not pure Mages, but something encompassing both Mages and Clerics. Still, I'd say the paradigm is basically there. Not a problem as long as these three classes are flexible enough to do really weird things. And remember, Planescape: Torment had tons of cool abilities and character types, even if it was based on the D&D 2nd edition rules and classes.

Zeliard

It's basically that same principle but with new terminologies. Fuck. They better have options to mix it up.

Did you not play the original Torment? They used the typical D&D classes - mage, fighter, thief (rogue), priest (healer). Morte was a sardonic, floating, chattering skull, but he was still your basic fighter class. Dak'kon was a somber monk with a shapeshifting sword who hailed from the chaotic plane of Limbo, but he was a fighter/mage. Falls-From-Grace ran a brothel centered on intellectual and creative pursuits, but she was a basic healer. Etc.

Notice the pattern? Torment took basic character tropes and twisted them into something that seemed (and was) new and interesting; on the surface, however, some of it is pretty familiar.

Did you not play the original Torment? They used the typical D&D classes - mage, fighter, thief (rogue), priest (healer). Morte was a sardonic, floating, chattering skull, but he was still your basic fighter class. Dak'kon was a somber monk with a shapeshifting sword who hailed from the chaotic plane of Limbo, but he was a fighter/mage. Falls-From-Grace ran a brothel centered on intellectual and creative pursuits, but she was a basic healer. Etc.

Notice the pattern? Torment took basic character tropes and twisted them into something that seemed (and was) new and interesting; on the surface, however, some of it is pretty familiar.

That sounds cool then. Just as long as they aren't generic which those examples certainly don't.

zkylon

zkylewd
Seriously? I wasn't aware of it. Did he write something about it?
he mentions his love of darklands regularly

Q: What are your favourite computer games of all time?

A: Darklands, Pool of Radiance, Fallout.

Q: What one of those games would you most like to work on given all the financing and time you want and why?

A: Darklands. Unlike the Fallout series, Darklands has been totally and completely abandoned, but the game was terrific. If money were no object, I'd love to make a new Darklands game set in either "Greater Germany" or another part of 15th century Europe.

taken from this interview with nma

JRPGs are an entirely different thing, in a different market, mostly on different platforms.

The question is, will these Kickstarter CRPGs compare (in terms of quality, polish, length, etc) to ultra-niche RPG titles released today through traditional means?

I don't read that as specifically referring to Western old school PC RPGs.

SMT games (etc.), as mentioned earlier in the thread, are ultra-niche within the sub-genre of JRPGs, are rated well in terms of quality, polish, and length, and are released through retail.

To me, that meets Squiddy's criteria and answers the question to which I responded.

Eusis

I don't read that as specifically referring to Western old school PC RPGs.

SMT games (etc.), as mentioned earlier in the thread, are ultra-niche within the sub-genre of JRPGs, are rated well in terms of quality, polish, and length, and are released through retail.

To me, that meets Squiddy's criteria and answers the question to which I responded.
I saw that, brought it up, THEN immediately shot it down:
Probably the ONLY examples are JRPGs, which is kind of like trying to compare Street Fighter with Smash Brothers as fighting games. The closest you're going to get on the JRPG side actually matching WRPGs are games like Etrian Odyssey, and that's just going back to the roots of the genre rather than what most of us REALLY want to see more of, the kind of design we were seeing in the latter half of the 90s and early 2000s.
They're distinct experiences, you didn't go to games like Fallout, Baldur's Gate, or Planescape: Torment in the late 90s for the same flavor as JRPGs. Maybe for the same reasons (generally enjoy RPG mechanics, are looking for good stories within the context of video games though I imagine Torment would satisfy there better than most games period), but you're not getting the same experience out of Final Fantasy VII as Fallout, and that was in the same year (though given how Midgar is maybe I should be bringing up Torment and FFVIII instead...)

And Megami Tensei's it's own strange beast, a JRPG but very unlike many of them, but unlike them doesn't really mean like WRPGs.

Welp, I pledged. My Kickstarter cherry is officially popped.

I'll probably get an email in December 2014 saying "here's your game!" and I'll be like "wtf is thi-OH SHI-".

Also, Planescape: Torment, is it worth it? Or is its age going to stick out like a sore thumb?

Minsc

Gold Member
Also, Planescape: Torment, is it worth it? Or is its age going to stick out like a sore thumb?

If you can still tolerate using a keyboard + mouse on PC, then you should have no troubles due to age, it plays the same now (possibly even better) as it did back then, and this spiritual sequel probably won't stray too far from the original in gameplay for that matter, so if you can't tolerate the original, bad news! Lol.

Actually has it been mentioned at all, what aspects of Planescape Torment's gameplay Tides of Numenera will improve upon?

Blackheim

I'll probably get an email in December 2014 saying "here's your game!" and I'll be like "wtf is thi-OH SHI-".

More like Spring 2015! They already said there will be a delay because of all of the added stretch goal items to add to development :)

Just about everyone will say yes to Planescape being worth it. I would as well :p If you have doubts, look up videos on youtube or just throw your money down and take a chance.

If you can still tolerate using a keyboard + mouse on PC, then you should have no troubles due to age, it plays the same now (possibly even better) as it did back then, and this spiritual sequel probably won't stray too far from the original in gameplay for that matter, so if you can't tolerate the original, bad news! Lol.

Actually has it been mentioned at all, what aspects of Planescape Torment's gameplay Tides of Numenera will improve upon?

I actually just read 5 seconds ago that the game will have extremely vague franchise references to Planescape due to licensing issues, so expect easter eggs. As far as gameplay is concerned, they pretty much said they're going their own way, while also borrowing some common RPG elements that WOTC can't possibly claim copyright on.

Lime

From a writing perspective, it has yet to be surpassed by any other game.

Visually, it holds up incredibly well, imo.

torment2013-03-1613-3h2xn8.png

torment2013-03-1523-5tno9p.png

From a writing perspective, it has yet to be surpassed by any other game.

Visually, it holds up incredibly well, imo.

Alright, sold. Looks like I'll be popping my GoG cherry this morning as well (It's 6am, I haven't slept because Civ V fucked up on me for some reason and I've been trying to fix it.).

Totally worth it, and can be modded for high resolutions which only make the game look more amazing.

jb1234

It's worth it. The advantage of those older pre-rendered games is that visually, they've held up very well. Certainly much better than early 3D attempts.

I don't recommend to play on 1080p or something. Way too small.

I've started playing on it and it isn't too bad. The buttons are on the small side but I can deal with it, unless I can change the resolution after installing the Widescreen Mod.

I managed to sneak in about 20 minutes of play (I have to get some fucking sleep)
I've just finished speaking to Dhall
and holy shit, what is this mad awesomeness that I've never played??

Zukuu

Banned
what res are you people playing on? I still haven't figured out the perfect one

I tried almost all resolutions and stuck with 800x600. Increases graphics but isn't zoomed out that much so you can still make out everything just fine without hugging the screen.

Zukuu

Banned
I've started playing on it and it isn't too bad. The buttons are on the small side but I can deal with it, unless I can change the resolution after installing the Widescreen Mod.

I managed to sneak in about 20 minutes of play (I have to get some fucking sleep)
I've just finished speaking to Dhall
and holy shit, what is this mad awesomeness that I've never played??

You can update the resolution using the same widescreen installer. All you lose when updating your save files is the Fog of War-clearance on the map of areas you have already visited.

Eusis

I'd say that the late 90s in general is when RPGs on a whole more or less began to stop noticeably aging beyond visuals, and that's only an issue here in two ways: you'll never get 60 FPS (game doesn't really need it, and it's like Ultima VII's 10 FPS or whatever the fuck) and some of the CGI models being sort of hideous when viewed within the journal, and that's really not a big deal either. The last problem though is more with modern video hardware, but it seems people mostly resolved those issues now, even newer drivers are less problematic than older ones and that's on the nVidia front anyway, not AMD.

In fact, I'd go a step further and say that there's been VERY little progress in making RPGs more accessible in a way that doesn't harm their fundamental design post-Torment, at most maybe a lack of a marker on where to go for quests could be a pain, but I believe the game usually gave enough information in-game and there's always guides for that. So yeah, definitely give it a shot.

I kinda wanted to play at 1080p.
CRPG+Couch gaming fuck yeah!

That didn't work though.
This is the kind of game you want to play on a laptop in the dark, while you carefully read through every single thing in the game. I recommend playing in either 720p, or something like 600p but windowed - so you can make notes in a separate word editor :p

inm8num2

Does the PS:T resolution mod require you to pick one resolution only for gameplay when you install it?

I have a 16:9 laptop but sometimes like to use an external monitor which is 5:4 or 4:3.

Top Bottom