• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

I kinda wanted to play at 1080p.
CRPG+Couch gaming fuck yeah!

That didn't work though.
This is the kind of game you want to play on a laptop in the dark, while you carefully read through every single thing in the game. I recommend playing in either 720p, or something like 600p but windowed - so you can make notes in a separate word editor :p

I tried almost all resolutions and stuck with 800x600. Increases graphics but isn't zoomed out that much so you can still make out everything just fine without hugging the screen.

thanks I think I might go with 800x600 too.

you can play it windowed? I thought that wasn't possible :eek:

I don't recommend to play on 1080p or something. Way too small.

PS:T was designed for 640x480, and really does look best at a lower resolution that allows the intentional zoomed-in design to work -- the graphics are supposed to be big. Those screenshots posted a few posts back are way, way too zoomed out... that's not really how the game is supposed to look.

Minsc

Gold Member
PS:T was designed for 640x480, and really does look best at a lower resolution that allows the intentional zoomed-in design to work -- the graphics are supposed to be big. Those screenshots posted a few posts back are way, way too zoomed out... that's not really how the game is supposed to look.

True, but to some extent, 640x480 on a 4:3 15 or 17" monitor is comparable to ~1152x648 or 960x600 or whatever 16:9 or 16:10 resolution between 640 and 720p you run on a 23-27" monitor. Might as well take advantage of the extra real estate of the widescreen monitor one is likely using to play on!

Zeliard

As someone who originally played Torment in 640x480 and have my fondest memories of the game in that resolution, I find the higher resolutions effortlessly superior (I most recently played it in 1680x1050).

Characters are still highly detailed and the environments take on a whole new light, creating a more fully-drawn, coherent image. Environments that span beyond a single tiny room are aided tremendously by the higher resolutions, allowing the artistic vision to truly stand out.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I play in 1280x800. 1680x1050 would be alright if the text wasnt such a pain to read. Long durations reading that small text isnt good for the eyes.

I play in 1280x800. 1680x1050 would be alright if the text wasnt such a pain to read. Long durations reading that small text isnt good for the eyes.

haha yeah tell me about it. I had to get glasses because I kept trying to read the text on my old tv when I played something on my xbox and modern games are really not made for old tv's anymore so the fonts were insanely small and it pretty much destroyed my eyes every time.
zeliard's right though, get "Ghostdog's incredible UI mod"

Cynar

I pulled my kickstarter last minute due to the issue of Susan Wilson's fraud/scam on kickstarter and switched it to paypal. Feels good that they had other options to donate than kickstarter as kickstarter still hasn't done anything about that scam. I'm glad I was still able to participate in backing this project. I'm so excited. :D

Yeah.
It's been suggested that it'd take the shape of an "airship", which could be utilized to move the story forward, or it could be a mental fortress, with its own slew of problems.

Purkake4

Banned
I think PST did a good job with expanding the theme of a lack of identity by not giving you a safe home base. I'd rather this one didn't have it either.

I think PST did a good job with expanding the theme of a lack of identity by not giving you a safe home base. I'd rather this one didn't have it either.

Spoiler:

The Modron maze was kinda a safe house. You could safely rest there, store your loot (drop it on the ground), and even teleport to all the areas from there.

O.DOGG

Yeah, I dislike the idea of a home base too. Even if they make it fit the world somehow, I can't help but seeing it as a "me too" to Project Eternity's stronghold.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, I dislike the idea of a home base too. Even if they make it fit the world somehow, I can't help but seeing it as a "me too" to Project Eternity's stronghold.

Well they could make the home base a twisted nightmare realm of all the things your character grows to despise (based on your choices) and actions they regret during the course of the game, and eventually turn it in to a living entity that strips away your strengths and could destroy you if left unchecked. That certainly doesn't feel like a "me too" to a traditional stronghold.

O.DOGG

Well they could make the home base a twisted nightmare realm of all the things your character grows to despise (based on your choices) and actions they regret during the course of the game, and eventually turn it in to a living entity that strips away your strengths and could destroy you if left unchecked. That certainly doesn't feel like a "me too" to a traditional stronghold.

Yeah, that would be cool but your description doesn't really make it sound like a stronghold or a home base at all. Just call it a special dungeon, I'd be fine with that.

Purkake4

Banned
Yup, I'd be all up in that. Not really a flying airship base though...

I loved the pocket dimension in Throne of Bhaal, it fit that game, it's just a question of the overall tone.

Llyranor

I've finished PS:T a few times in the past, but I think my last playthrough was over 10 years ago. I figured, that's a long enough time for my memory to be a bit fuzzy over the details, so I gave it a go this week, picking it up again during the GOG sale.

....... and finished it in a marathon session 5 days later. While I knew the major plot points, I forgot a lot of the little details, which made my session particularly enjoyable. It's been a long time since a RPG enthralled me so with its writing/story/characters. I long to relive this feeling again one of the days, hopefully through one of these kickstarter games.

And I thought I was mostly done with singleplayer games. I guess I just needed an actually good game to rekindle my interest.

Onemic

Playing as a wild mage in BG1/2, and it's pretty awesome :D

I want a chaos/random-centric "class" for sure in Torment.

Just started a new game for the second time after finding out that not having a mage in your party is a big no no in the end game. This was after I was advised to not take a mage because they're totally worthless in BG1.

At least I found myself a magic Katana from some dudes messing with the trees of the druids in the Western Peaks. Edwin is totally worthless though, all he can do is colour spray and since there's FF in this game, that attack is pretty much useless.

Perkel

Banned
Just started a new game for the second time after finding out that not having a mage in your party is a big no no in the end game. This was after I was advised to not take a mage because they're totally worthless in BG1.

At least I found myself a magic Katana from some dudes messing with the trees of the druids in the Western Peaks. Edwin is totally worthless though, all he can do is colour spray and since there's FF in this game, that attack is pretty much useless.

Better take blind spell. For BG1 it is OP spell. I played mage/fighter and thanks to blind i could take anyone 1vs1

dude

dude
What? C'mon people, Wild Mage was a horrible class :(

They're useless until the end game which only makes it so much more annoying. But yeah, blind and sleep are pretty useful in the first game...

This is where strategy comes in. Positioning is an important part of the game, and taking that risk of placing your mage in the front row just long enough for him to get a colour spray or fireball off before running your fighters out to tank is something that I really enjoy.

I really need to get back to my game, I've started it 3 times and each time played for hours and hours but never once made it to Baldur's Gate. I always get sidetracked exploring the entire map before continuing the main quest.

Have been neck deep in PS:T, so far it's a 9 out of 10 for me, but I haven't even left Sigil yet. If I had one criticism of the game, it would be it could use a hell of a lot more direction. Sometimes I can really get lost trying to find where I need to go next.

Otherwise, amazing game.

Onemic

This is where strategy comes in. Positioning is an important part of the game, and taking that risk of placing your mage in the front row just long enough for him to get a colour spray or fireball off before running your fighters out to tank is something that I really enjoy.

I really need to get back to my game, I've started it 3 times and each time played for hours and hours but never once made it to Baldur's Gate. I always get sidetracked exploring the entire map before continuing the main quest.

Never thought about that. Usually fights don't last more than 20 seconds, so something like a magic missle(which I finally found in the gnolls stronghold) seems much more useful, at least early on.

I'd rather see a more trope breaking evolution to a Wild Mage----Berserker Mage. Imagine instead of a flurry of blades all over the place, it was a maelstrom of spells let loose with a snapping rage....tough enough to theoretically sort of survive one of their unhinged periods.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
What? C'mon people, Wild Mage was a horrible class :(

They're useless until the end game which only makes it so much more annoying. But yeah, blind and sleep are pretty useful in the first game...

Wild Mage is a fun class. Get on our level.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Have been neck deep in PS:T, so far it's a 9 out of 10 for me, but I haven't even left Sigil yet. If I had one criticism of the game, it would be it could use a hell of a lot more direction. Sometimes I can really get lost trying to find where I need to go next.

Otherwise, amazing game.

That sounds like Sigil to me. Wouldnt have it any other way.

CrunchyB

Have been neck deep in PS:T, so far it's a 9 out of 10 for me, but I haven't even left Sigil yet.

This may be superfluous because the game actually warns you about this, but make sure you do everything you wanted to do in Sigil before leaving.

It's hard to explain without using spoilers.

$114,177

That's how much more we need to get that 4.5 million goal.
They are counting paypal money until the end of the month, which gives us two more weeks, so we need an average daily of $7611.8!

The kickstarter hype begins anew!

$114,177

That's how much more we need to get that 4.5 million goal.
They are counting paypal money until the end of the month, which gives us two more weeks, so we need an average daily of $7611.8!

The kickstarter hype begins anew!

Remember that RPG Codex has raised >5k that will be pledged at the end of the month.

Top Bottom