• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera |OT| What Can Change The Nature of a Man?

jtb

Banned
Negative in what way?

A lot of "this isn't what was promised" and "cut content." Some balance issues too, though that's always YMMV in my book.

Personally, I don't give a shit about cut content if the final product is any good.

But with InXile... caveat emptor.

I regret backing the game regardless of how it turns out, if only because I hate incentivizing such poorly managed, borderline fraudulent projects.

A good review-in-progress by AV Club (first 10 hours)
http://www.avclub.com/review/torment-tides-numenera-living-planescapes-lofty-le-251106
Sleep off a rough bout of exploration in the middle of a murder investigation, and you might wake to find that a character you’d just been chatting with has become the killer’s next victim. As a result, conversations feel as weighty and full of danger as fights, and it drives home a central moral: Your choices matter.
If Torment can keep up this pace of interesting challenges and fascinating stories, it might just prove itself as a successor to Planescape Torment in more than merely name.

Grabbed this on PS4. Came with a map and cd soundtrack. Nice steel case at Gamestop too.

C5x9R0rVAAAhQUm.jpg

Does anyone have a track list of the soundtrack? I bought the Day One edition that came with a soundtrack CD that has 22 tracks but no track list. WIndows Media Player does not show title information. Just track 1, track 2, etc.

MartyStu

Does it open up new dialogue choices?

I went with a Nano with Read Thoughts, and was disappointed that it didn't seem to give you additional choices related to people's thoughts. Although Steam discussion said it does, but they aren't labeled as a Read Thought check/option, so not 100% sure

Several skills that you have will open additional dialogue options, but the game bizarrely does not notify you of this.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Does anyone have a track list of the soundtrack? I bought the Day One edition that came with a soundtrack CD that has 22 tracks but no track list. WIndows Media Player does not show title information. Just track 1, track 2, etc.

Interesting, the soundtrack that I got as a kickstarter backer has 50 tracks.

Track list (tagging just in case)
Main Title
What Does One Life Matter
Sagus Exterior - Exploration
Sagus Deep - Exploration
Sagus Crisis
The Fifth Eye Tavern
The Mere
The Sorrow
Miel Avest at Peace
The Oasis
Valley of Dead Heroes - Crisis
The Bloom
The Bloom (Reprise)
The Bloom - Deep Exploration
Innermost Heart
Sticha Lair - Stealth
Sticha Lair - Crisis
Necropolis
Labyrinthine Worlds
The Calm
Final Journey
Fathom Battle - Part 1
Fathom Battle - Part 2
Final Confrontation
Final Confrontation - Crisis
Post Tash Mere
Memovira - Crisis
Callistege's Theme
Tybir's Theme
Erritis's Theme
Aligern's Theme
Matkina's Theme
Rhin's Theme
Blue Tide
Gold Tide
Indigo Tide
Red Tide
Silver Tide
Bloom Sting
Revelation
Labyrinth Sting
Sagus Sting
Valley of Dead Heroes
The Sorrow Appears
The Aftermath
Nightsphere
Stichas Attack
The First Castoff
Matkina's Mere
Who is the Changing God

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Hate the idea that resting to restore effort advances the game and potentially screws up quests. I get why someone would think that's a neat and/or clever design decision but the completionist in me loathes this kind of design.

This just tells me you havent played Alpha Protocol, where you role play various forms of asshole. You should rectify this.

You are right, and I will. It ran poorly on my laptop back then and never picked up again when I finally had a decent desktop. But I was totally being a dick for the few hours I played.

Interesting, the soundtrack that I got as a kickstarter backer has 50 tracks.

Track list (tagging just in case)
Main Title
What Does One Life Matter
Sagus Exterior - Exploration
Sagus Deep - Exploration
Sagus Crisis
The Fifth Eye Tavern
The Mere
The Sorrow
Miel Avest at Peace
The Oasis
Valley of Dead Heroes - Crisis
The Bloom
The Bloom (Reprise)
The Bloom - Deep Exploration
Innermost Heart
Sticha Lair - Stealth
Sticha Lair - Crisis
Necropolis
Labyrinthine Worlds
The Calm
Final Journey
Fathom Battle - Part 1
Fathom Battle - Part 2
Final Confrontation
Final Confrontation - Crisis
Post Tash Mere
Memovira - Crisis
Callistege's Theme
Tybir's Theme
Erritis's Theme
Aligern's Theme
Matkina's Theme
Rhin's Theme
Blue Tide
Gold Tide
Indigo Tide
Red Tide
Silver Tide
Bloom Sting
Revelation
Labyrinth Sting
Sagus Sting
Valley of Dead Heroes
The Sorrow Appears
The Aftermath
Nightsphere
Stichas Attack
The First Castoff
Matkina's Mere
Who is the Changing God

Same

I got a question about how the stats work. Is each stat just a resource (like mana) or does your capacity or current level matter? Like if you spend might does your damage with your sword go down? Or is your damage with weapons purely tied to the weapon?

If it's just a resource I can spend it willy nilly on stuff right? As long as long term attrition is not an issue?

goblin

One puzzle that's eluded me since back in Early Access is the
colour-sphere
in the Order of Truth building. Has anyone figured it out yet?

There are actually two solutions to this puzzle. One awards a cipher and the other an accessory. IIRC the best solution is to pay attention to hue.
It's been a long time since I played through Act 1, so I had to look it up.
Remove left, front, right, right, bottom, back, back, bottom, front, left.
Hope it works!

I got a question about how the stats work. Is each stat just a resource (like mana) or does your capacity or current level matter? Like if you spend might does your damage with your sword go down? Or is your damage with weapons purely tied to the weapon?

If it's just a resource I can spend it willy nilly on stuff right? As long as long term attrition is not an issue?

Each stat's a resource. Your maximum in each stat pool affects certain derived statistics (Might -> 1 Health/point, Speed -> 5% Evasion/2 points, Intellect -> 5% Willpower/2points) but you can spend down your stat pools on effort as much as you want. The only penalty is that you have less stats to spend elsewhere until you've restored your pool.

Pools can be replenished by specific cyphers, healing consumables, or environmental interactions, or by resting -- which will advance some time-sensitive questlines. Lucking into a critical success on an effort attempt restores the stat points spent on that action.

You can mouseover any weapon to see what stat pool it's tied to, which tells you what stat you need to expend to increase your hit/damage with it in combat. If you have a 100% chance to hit your target you'll automatically apply the weapon's maximum effort bonus damage.

Alastor3

I regret backing the game regardless of how it turns out, if only because I hate incentivizing such poorly managed, borderline fraudulent projects.

Numénéra is a borderline fraudulent project? How come?

Unless I missread, my english isn't the best.

The Wart

Numénéra is a borderline fraudulent project? How come?

Unless I missread, my english isn't the best.

Certain stretch goals were being cut with no communication to the backers until after the community had figured it out themselves. They then offered refunds to anyone who requested (afaik).

Not a great look for inXile, but someone who considers that "fraudulent" behavior, well, yeah, probably that person shouldn't be backing much of anything.

SRG01

Negative in what way?

A lot of "this isn't what was promised" and "cut content." Some balance issues too, though that's always YMMV in my book.

Personally, I don't give a shit about cut content if the final product is any good.

Yeah, basically this. My main concern is whether or not the cut content contributed to the game in a major way, and whether or not the game suffers as an RPG because of this.

I mean, I understand the point of Torment in that it's mainly trying to establish a narrative first similar to PS:T... but the game is also an RPG, no?

Each stat's a resource. Your maximum in each stat pool affects certain derived statistics (Might -> 1 Health/point, Speed -> 5% Evasion/2 points, Intellect -> 5% Willpower/2points) but you can spend down your stat pools on effort as much as you want. The only penalty is that you have less stats to spend elsewhere until you've restored your pool.

Pools can be replenished by specific cyphers, healing consumables, or environmental interactions, or by resting -- which will advance some time-sensitive questlines. Lucking into a critical success on an effort attempt restores the stat points spent on that action.

You can mouseover any weapon to see what stat pool it's tied to, which tells you what stat you need to expend to increase your hit/damage with it in combat. If you have a 100% chance to hit your target you'll automatically apply the weapon's maximum effort bonus damage.

Ah, I see thank you. I'm going against the grain here for a lot of people's first builds and started the game as a strong glaive with high might and speed. I'll save the intellectual talking run for a second playthrough.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yeah, basically this. My main concern is whether or not the cut content contributed to the game in a major way, and whether or not the game suffers as an RPG because of this.

I mean, I understand the point of Torment in that it's mainly trying to establish a narrative first similar to PS:T... but the game is also an RPG, no?

The narrative and the RPG are the same thing in PST and apparently in this game as well. Not sure how one comes first.

jtb

Banned
Certain stretch goals were being cut with no communication to the backers until after the community had figured it out themselves. They then offered refunds to anyone who wanted asked (afaik).

Not a great look for inXile, but someone who considers that "fraudulent" behavior, well, yeah, probably that person shouldn't be backing much of anything.

I'm pretty much anti-crowdfunding across the board, so... yeah lol. But InXile seems to be pretty bad, relatively speaking, at managing the expectations and feature creep that comes with the territory of crowdfunding.

As expected, couldn't be happier with this, so far.

Writing is right up my alley. They've come a long way from the early beta build I played.

ordrin

does anyone know if this game outputs natively at 4k on the ps4 pro?

the devs already said that the game, on pc at least, was designed with 4k in mind.

I played about 4 hours this evening. It's too early to say much about the game systems, but the setting and sidequests certainly have their hooks in me. I am genuinely intrigued by a few of the mysteries I've encountered (e.g., what is Rhin's deal? How can I help Loss-of-Self?) -- which is a rare thing in a videogame. I think the Torment legacy really comes through in the abundance of weird, interesting locations and entities. They're not uniformly interesting, but I'd bet everyone will find five or six things in Sagus Cliffs that tickle them (e.g. the orphan gate, the fifth eye's inhabitants, the levies, ...).

Pretty happy so far.

^^^
Ooh, good to hear that the Tavern is promising. Just reached that section of Sagis. Smoldering Corpse Bar was amazing in Planescape

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Wait, this game is on a timer? Ugh that's the worst. Is it only for a few side quests, or can you fail the game entirely by taking too long? Is it obvious which parts fail if you take too long?

My absolute least favorite design in RPGS. I thought designers realized 10 years ago that everyone fucking hates timers in RPGS. I guess not inExile.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wait, this game is on a timer? Ugh that's the worst. Is it only for a few side quests, or can you fail the game entirely by taking too long? Is it obvious which parts fail if you take too long?

My absolute least favorite design in RPGS. I thought designers realized 10 years ago that everyone fucking hates timers in RPGS. I guess not inExile.

Uh what? I've encountered one side quest that was on a timer and the "timer" was tied purely to how many times you rested, not how long you played. The quest also took all of 5 minutes to beat.

Relax.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. I have only gotten through a small part of the Sagus Cliffs and this game is incredible. I have fallen into about 5-10 weird contraptions and met aliens or robots or I-don't-know-whats all of whom have interesting things to say and mysterious reasons to want them. I don't know who to tell what (and my character knows even less). I very am excited to keep exploring.

You can really feel that the writing was the focal point of the design. A nice change from many of the systems-first RPGs that have been popular recently. Very pleased so far. The interface leaves something to be desired but since I am barely ever looking at it except to read more of the wonderful writing, I hardly care.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
No one else is getting the dialogue lag bug? Dialogue scrolling starts to stutter until it eventually comes to a complete stand still...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Uh what? I've encountered one side quest that was on a timer and the "timer" was tied purely to how many times you rested, not how long you played. The quest also took all of 5 minutes to beat.

Relax.

Oh thank god. I thought all quests were timed.

No one else is getting the dialogue lag bug? Dialogue scrolling starts to stutter until it eventually comes to a complete stand still...

I got it during one of the earlier dialogues, but it went away after that and hasn't come back.

When it happened, I found that just wildly scrolling with the mouse wheel speeds up the process drastically.

Two people have had it in this thread.

The game gets unplayably bad. Forum threads on the inxile tech supports are at a standstill too.

I can't play this game at all. Paid a lot for it, too.

Sarek

Five hours played and still running around examining things and talking to people in Sagus Cliffs. Feels like a Torment game alright.

I really can't get into the crisis mechanism. I think I would have prefered no combat at all, rather than what we got, but enjoying the rest of the ride.

Bluth54

I'm very impressed with inXile's effort here. I didn't think they had this in them after Wasteland 2.

I thought the core of Wasteland 2 was good it was just rough around the edges, which I can forgive them for since it was the first modern CRPG they did. I did expect this game to be better (which it has been so far) than WL2. I'm also expecting WL3 to be better than WL2.

What's all this then?

Wasteland 2 was pretty damn great if you ask me.

Hate the idea that resting to restore effort advances the game and potentially screws up quests. I get why someone would think that's a neat and/or clever design decision but the completionist in me loathes this kind of design.

Don't rest often, then?

Abuse of resting is a flaw of this D&D-like systems.
Of course I don't know if the game is balanced for that.

Top Bottom