• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera |OT| What Can Change The Nature of a Man?

Eusis

For me, so far there's been conversation choices that you can choose which prevent combat from occurring. Of course this means that you have to go with a choice which you may or may not agree with for your character/situation, etc. or if there are stats preventing as such. Regardless, I've been able to avoid combat making these choices; not sure if there are 100 % mandatory fights later on. I'm about 5.5 hours in doing various side quests and enjoying the game quite a bit.
Yeah, I generally try to avoid those, but there's situations where i screw up and run with it (or perhaps wasn't an opponent to BE reasoned with, but avoided entirely.)

PS4 version stutters from time to time and loading is hit or miss. Though nothing tok crazy. Text is very readable in font size and they even offer a size bigger. Im sure PC is the way to go but Im alright with this so far.

Has there been any mention of an update in the works or acknowledgement of the issues plaguing the console version? Really wanting to grab it on the PS4 but not until they fix the performance issues...

They're using intentionally complicated and flowery language. It reads more like something that is trying to be artistic and deep than a normal story. I wouldn't worry. I guarantee you 95% of people would understand all the descriptions on the first read. I work with writing and reading in English every day as a core component of my job and I have to read some of the stuff multiple times.

It's certainly not a bad thing - i'm loving the game - but it might have been better had they toned it down.

Hey, if the Dark Souls people can post it...

576E6364D09F92E98A2CDA8D7138FCF8429928BA

Kidding, of course (though now I really want a macro of TLC holding a sign that says git liter8 on it). Still, Torment's writing style is unique in games and I'd be disappointed if the moderated the extravagance of the prose when it fits the setting and vibe as well as it does.

Ric Flair

Banned
Combat is the one thing I really don't enjoy about this game. It's slow, tedious, and there isn't really any strategy involved in it.

Moff

I hate Erritis from the start, what an idiot.

So I guess the reason Rhin doesn't want to join me is that my party is full? I don't know the max size.

So I guess the reason Rhin doesn't want to join me is that my party is full? I don't know the max size.

You can judge the max number of characters you can have in your party by the available slots in the character screen. In other words, your party can consist of you and 3 companions.

B_Signal

aww he's my favourite character. His story is decent too once it eventually starts

Kiyoshi

I seem to have picked up an ability called 'Inspiring Presence' that has the most annoying 'whining' sound effect; and I'm stuck with it. I've been deliberately trying to save infrequently so I stick with my choices; and that's bitten me in the behind as my last save would wipe 2 hours of progress (and it seemingly hasn't auto saved in that time).

So if you get the chance to pick that ability; don't. Unless you like your ears bleeding. :( I'm not sure what to do now. I don't want to replay the last two hours, but I can't go on with this ability active.

Taruranto

Once you get out of the tutorial area it becomes 150% more interesting, woah. Not sure why the intro setup didn't grab me.

It feels very Planescape-y (Hopefully not too much, references are fine, but I'd like for it to stand on its own as a story) also yay for companions that leave if they disagree with you.

bati

Man, I hope I don't NEED to get through Crisises in the future (or that they get easier later on) because I've died at each one beyond the very first. Which works OK without my other characters dying admittedly, but god damn.

Might also have just messed my character up period for combat, or not really know what to do best for combat.

I've almost finished what seems to be the first act of the game (really hard to tell how the game is structured, there's nothing in journal that would indicate it) and I've had a total of two unavoidable combat scenarions:
Peerless in the underground level of the building in Reef and some monsters in Changing God's mirror
. The first one hit me like a brick and made me rethink my future stat choices a bit. That was actually a good thing because I wasn't even paying attention to weapons before but now I know that some weapons use speed and some use might (might be obvious but I completely overlooked it). I was much better prepared for the second encounter and even with a kinda non-combat focused party (talker Jack,
Tybir, Callistege, Rhin
) it was pretty smooth. Use Cyphers if you're having issues, they can easily turn the tide.

Has anyone here really spoke to
Rhin
? for some reason, she's an odd ball of a young child but yet she's interesting on how she speaks and of course other elements that I will say here for Spoiler reasons.

Yes, I am very curious about her. She's not leaving my party.

A few scattered thoughts from last night: the UI is actually okay for an InXile game (and let's be honest, PST's UI wasn't exactly a looker). I agree with whoever said that combat is the main place it falls apart. And if combat were as important to this game as it was to Wasteland 2, I might have quit already. But I've fought twice in five hours, so it's not a huge deal.

I am over the moon about the number of interesting characters hanging around Sagus Cliffs. I think the a big advantage of a setting like Numenera is that it focuses the designers on strong character concepts. They happen to be strange concepts (e.g., a robot who needs to reproduce; a man bearing a word that can destroy civilization), but the strangeness is less important than the fact that the average character has, like, a defining physical characteristic that is connected with his/her worldview that is connected with his/her quest. In a game with an isometric perspective and tons of characters without portraits (I'll come back to this), this helps the characters "pop." Dragonfall was also quite good at this, to take a somewhat more grounded example.

On the presentation side, I do wish they did a little more to make differences in physical characteristics legible. Some NPC portraits or art of different races splashed on loading screens would have gone a long way. Better animation would be nice too.

I think I've just about exhausted the first set of sidequests in Sagus Cliffs. I will try to advance the main plot tonight. Then I'm afraid Torment goes on the backburner for BotW. There are maybe a half-dozen franchises that take priority over a Torment sequel for me, and of course one of them has a game out the same week.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yes, I am very curious about her. She's not leaving my party.

A few scattered thoughts from last night: the UI is actually okay for an InXile game (and let's be honest, PST's UI wasn't exactly a looker). I agree with whoever said that combat is the main place it falls apart. And if combat were as important to this game as it was to Wasteland 2, I might have quit already. But I've fought twice in five hours, so it's not a huge deal.

I am over the moon about the number of interesting characters hanging around Sagus Cliffs. I think the a big advantage of a setting like Numenera is that it focuses the designers on strong character concepts. They happen to be strange concepts (e.g., a robot who needs to reproduce; a man bearing a word that can destroy civilization), but the strangeness is less important than the fact that the average character has, like, a defining physical characteristic that is connected with his/her worldview that is connected with his/her quest. In a game with an isometric perspective and tons of characters without portraits (I'll come back to this), this helps the characters "pop." Dragonfall was also quite good at this, to take a somewhat more grounded example.

On the presentation side, I do wish they did a little more to make differences in physical characteristics legible. Some NPC portraits or art of different races splashed on loading screens would have gone a long way. Better animation would be nice too.

I think I've just about exhausted the first set of sidequests in Sagus Cliffs. I will try to advance the main plot tonight. Then I'm afraid Torment goes on the backburner for BotW. There are maybe a half-dozen franchises that take priority over a Torment sequel for me, and of course one of them has a game out the same week.

For shame.

Apparently I was playing a jack when I wanted a nano, hm. Glad I noticed it early on, will probably restart. Impressions are good though, loved the quest with
Tybir
and the conversations with the clerk. I'm aiming to play a horribly obnoxious know-it-all.

SoCoRoBo

In what ways?

Age of Decadence is just amazing. It made me genuinely appreciate why reactivity in RPGs is important as opposed to a flavour feature. Its willingness to kill you stone dead for doing something stupid is great, it reinforces the sort of world you're in better than a novel worth of flavour text could do. No Truce With the Furies is looking like it'll have a really cool conversation system where your skills actually intrude on the conversation. Someone said it earlier in the thread, but most RPG conversation systems are extremely basic, they're mainly interrogation trees where you get to pick one of three outcomes and occasionally a skill check will let you know which outcome is the best.

Sadly I primarily found it to be an example of a game not having the diversity of content to justify its playtime (not even by a long shot).

It's been a while since I've played it, but I think it was a combination of a sincere attempt at a historical setting (which is amazingly rare), the resource management and trying to manage the dispositions of your various party members along a benevolent/racist/religious spectrum. And I liked the soft Spanish guitar music.

Kiyoshi

Yeah, I'm a disgrace. On the bright side, maybe the "inspire" sound effect will be patched out by the time I get back.

I'm sitting here baffled that this passed through testing. Is anyone here playing the game with this fettle active? I'm wondering whether this is just me; i.e. am I being over sensitive to the way this buff sounds. I just can't stand it; so there's no way I can play on at the moment. :(

EDIT: Well would you believe it?! I loved to another area and the sound effect is now gone! Hurrah!

EDIT 2: Haha, and it comes back if I move back to the original area. Ooof!

Well, playing this game does remind me of playing PS:T, so if that's what they were going for, mission accomplished. There is so much paralells between the two games,
Endless Battles/Blood wars, the hidden underground labyrinth, even got a bronze sphere in the game

It's too early to say that it's as good as PST since I'm not far enough into the plot yet. I will say that I don't think any of the companions are as good as the ones in PST. The PST companion were all unique, engaging, and memorable. So far all the companions in TON are kind of bland. It also doesn't help that in PST all of the companions have a personal connection to TNO and have a reason to be traveling with him. In TON I don't understand why any of them is traveling with the protagonist. They are just kind of there because the game requires you to have companions.

bati

How does one enter the Bloom, do I have to progress the main quest? I want to look for the kids' father but the guard at the entrance won't let me in.

So, level up bonuses? What are people picking?

It's not combat-based so I doubt you can screw youself.

You are forced to pick one of each type of powerup at each tier (except for skills/abilities, where you have to choose one), so as long as you're not doing something crazy like putting all your stat points and edge in a pool you don't use, it seems like any configuration will work out okay. That said, if you're planning on talking your way out of things, it's good to have lots of intelligence and at least a point in persuasion.

As a diplomatic nano, I've spent the bulk of my stat buys on Intelligence (with a bit of speed thrown in), added edge to Intelligence, and bought a bunch of skills. I've pretty much ignored abilities to this point. I don't worry much about purchase order at each tier.

Ganrob

Neo Member
I'm going Nano. Still getting the hang of the combat system, I'm getting wrecked in the
orange house you open with the "key" you get from the Order of Truth.

bati

I'm going Nano. Still getting the hang of the combat system, I'm getting wrecked in the

Once you activate some machines it will cause the drones in various parts of the complex to go dormant. I only had to fight about 3 or 4 packs.

...Then I'm afraid Torment goes on the backburner for BotW. There are maybe a half-dozen franchises that take priority over a Torment sequel for me, and of course one of them has a game out the same week.

I feel you. March is a crazy month for me at work, so I have to blitz through this game in less free time to make sure I'm done before Mass Effect comes out.

edit: Which I then have to blitz through for Persona 5. I'm not sure what I'd do if I had to choose between them.

Menome

Once you activate some machines it will cause the drones in various parts of the complex to go dormant. I only had to fight about 3 or 4 packs.

I didn't even engage in combat at that point.
You can leg it to the control panels and get healed at each one, negating the need to fight at all.

bati

I didn't even engage in combat at that point.
You can leg it to the control panels and get healed at each one, negating the need to fight at all.

How? For me the combat started as soon as I moved the central point in any direction. Or do you mean that you spent your turns running to the panels?

O.DOGG

So how is the game, guys? I haven't started it yet - partly because I can't dedicate the needed time, and partly because I'm wary that it may be full of bugs that are yet to be patched (like Wasteland 2 was at launch). Is it in a decent enough state or should I wait for a patch or two?

Menome

How? For me the combat started as soon as I moved the central point in any direction. Or do you mean that you spent your turns running to the panels?

Yep. As soon as the Crisis starts, start running. Have to remember that a Crisis doesn't mean "stuck in combat doing combat things".

Ganrob

Neo Member
So how is the game, guys? I haven't started it yet - partly because I can't dedicate the needed time, and partly because I'm wary that it may be full of bugs that are yet to be patched (like Wasteland 2 was at launch). Is it in a decent enough state or should I wait for a patch or two?

If you are up for a real RPG experience, this is your chance. I'm talking long conversations, dialog choices that
give xp and certain kinds of numenera tides (think char attributes), and everyone, I mean everyone, has a long
story to tell and get involved in.

I'm literally playing with a notebook next to me jotting down notes because there is absolutely no way I can remember all of this. And that is fun for me.

I've almost finished what seems to be the first act of the game (really hard to tell how the game is structured, there's nothing in journal that would indicate it) and I've had a total of two unavoidable combat scenarions:
Peerless in the underground level of the building in Reef and some monsters in Changing God's mirror
. The first one hit me like a brick and made me rethink my future stat choices a bit. That was actually a good thing because I wasn't even paying attention to weapons before but now I know that some weapons use speed and some use might (might be obvious but I completely overlooked it). I was much better prepared for the second encounter and even with a kinda non-combat focused party (talker Jack,
Tybir, Callistege, Rhin
) it was pretty smooth. Use Cyphers if you're having issues, they can easily turn the tide.
Having Erritis and Matkina in your party really help with any potential combat too.

I actually found the few combat encounters I did run into decent enough and my Castoff is a diplomacy Nano and I have Rhin with me. Rhin is a real solid healer if you level her up into it.

I went ahead and picked up my copy even though it seems the PS4 version doesn't play all that well. Oh well, I needed that Steelbook. Will play it once I am done with Horizon and Zelda.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Played several more hours last night (still in Sagus Cliffs). I got into two Crises that I ended up re-loading from since I got there via discussions that didn't go the way I wanted. I'm not against using combat in the game (not going for Pacifist), but I think I'm not going to want to engage in it a ton either.

The two that I got into and reloaded after are below in spoilers.

Attempted to fight inside the Fifth Eye Taven and that went VERY badly. I dunno what the "more peaceful" route through this is but I'm pretty sure based on all the convos I've had in the tavern that I want to fight here and man that is a lot of people to fight off.

The other one I'm sure I can avoid if I just run around more quickly, but I was close to done for the night and didn't have time to start again. I need to explore that area a bit more first then reload and do what is needed in the "Peerless" area.

bati

Attempted to fight inside the Fifth Eye Taven and that went VERY badly. I dunno what the "more peaceful" route through this is but I'm pretty sure based on all the convos I've had in the tavern that I want to fight here and man that is a lot of people to fight off.

The other one I'm sure I can avoid if I just run around more quickly, but I was close to done for the night and didn't have time to start again. I need to explore that area a bit more first then reload and do what is needed in the "Peerless" area.

You can take the burden upon yourself in the tavern and win the encounter through convo checks. The Peerless area can be won by running to the panels as someone pointed out above. There is no peaceful solution here unfortunately.

goblin

How does one enter the Bloom, do I have to progress the main quest? I want to look for the kids' father but the guard at the entrance won't let me in.

Advance the main quest a lot.

So, level up bonuses? What are people picking?

It's not combat-based so I doubt you can screw youself.

Make sure you have a character with Edge in each pool. If you're looking to resolve crises without combat when possible, Running comes in real handy. Stealth and Initiative less so, but can still be useful.

Kiyoshi

what? what do you mean? Game is good, you just need to not compared it to planescape too much.

I was talking about one of the passive abilities in the game that appeared bugged (the audio is loud and looping); and the ability is awarded to Nanos and Jacks at tier 2 so I was saying there was no way you can avoid picking it up :D

Loving the game.

goblin

I was talking about one of the passive abilities in the game that appeared bugged (the audio is loud and looping); and the ability is awarded to Nanos and Jacks at tier 2 so I was saying there was no way you can avoid picking it up :D

Loving the game.

FWIW Inspiring Presence comes with the "Brandishes a Silver Tongue" Focus, so that's what you'd want to avoid picking. But yeah, you're right: the sound effect loop bug is bad. It was present in the beta, too, and there used to be a mod to fix it but it looks like that's been taken down. Between the sound when you open up a dialogue window and Inspiring Presence, I played through damn near the entire game with the Sound Effects slider way down.

bati

Is it possible to get any XP / optimal outcome out of
Najma's merecaster
or is it just fluff? There weren't any skill checks like with
Matkina and the reality didn't seem to change this time either

Top Bottom