• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Kraftwerk

Don't want to shit the thread up, but seems like this is the place to post this.

I like to go on long jogs, runs and bike rides, and I always end up in new places. Whenever I go to "all-white" neighbourhoods I get a weird vibe. I have asked for directions a few times, and I constantly get ignored and in some instances people just walk away from me really fast. I can sense fear.

I look like I'm from Span or Italy, which has a big presence here, and I dress normal. I dunno what the hell is up.

Dunno why I'm posting this really. I mean, I thought Canada didn't have shit like this. I know nobody is perfect, but I have been experiencing this a lot, which has made me feel very uncomfortable, and unwelcome.

bleh

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Don't want to shit the thread up, but seems like this is the place to post this.

I like to go on long jogs, runs and bike rides, and I always end up in new places. Whenever I go to "all-white" neighbourhoods I get a weird vibe. I have asked for directions a few times, and I constantly get ignored and in some instances people just walk away from me really fast. I can sense fear.

I look like I'm from Span or Italy, which has a big presence here, and I dress normal. I dunno what the hell is up.

Dunno why I'm posting this really. I mean, I thought Canada didn't have shit like this. I know nobody is perfect, but I have been experiencing this a lot, which has made me feel very uncomfortable, and unwelcome.

bleh

I find a lot of people don't really want to talk to people when they're out at all, even if it's just pointing them in the right direction. Very few 'good mornings' exchanged to passerby's in Toronto compared to some other cities. Had plenty of people pull up in their cars recently and ask me directions though. I never mind helping people out, but I probably talk to them for too long. :p

What neighborhood(s) by the way? I pretty much know every street in the city, even on the outskirts, so I only reeeeaaally get lost in parks sometimes.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

bleh

Huh, I've never run into this before. What neighbourhood are you in?

Rinoa

Think you've found your answer...

re: mild winter
Hope this means a decent summer and that there isn't too much rain in 2012. Felt like 2011 was an asston of rain during summer or was it just me? Not enough patio time.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
If I'm downtown Toronto, everyone is cool and shit. It's always in the suburbs I get this vibe.

Well, it doesn't help when they elect politicians that think like this..

“Right now we can’t even deal with the 2.5 million people in this city. I think it is more important to take care of people now before we start bringing in more people. There’s going to be a million more people, according to the official plan (which I did not support) over the next ten years coming into the city. We can’t even deal with the 2.5 million people. How are we going to welcome another million people in? It is going to be chaotic. We can’t even deal with the chaos we have now. I think we have to say enough’s enough.”

GUESS WHO

Roto13

bleh

I wouldn't talk to you because there's a 90% chance you're trying to sell me something or beg for money or get me to volunteer for your stupid charity or whatever.

ZZMitch

I just came down with Mono recently but I just wanted to say how impressed I have been so far with medical care in Toronto/Canada. It was pretty awesome being able to have a free doctor provided by the university (UofT) simply by having ohip/uhip. He seems like a good doctor and when he recommended I go get an ultrasound and blood test done it was easy and I was able to walk 5 minutes to another building and get those done in a short time for no cost. Maybe it is because I have never lived in a city before, but I love how quickly and easily it is to get stuff done here without the need for a car or anything.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Just saw Ford on the news in Scarborough talking about subways again. After all these years in office this guy still can't speak in public without looking like a fool.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Ugh, yeah, I've been procrastinating on my full G despite being eligible for almost two years now... Should probably just get it over with. Is it just a highway test, or more like a G2 + Highway test?

I did my test about 7-8 years ago so don't know how much it might have changed but yeah went on the highway then when I came back onto the regular roads I did everything from the G2 (3 point turn, parallel park, uphill/downhill parking, etc)

Fuzzy

Why are they shutting down Ontario Place? Ugh. I enjoyed the pool they had there.
Ontario Tourism Minister Michael Chan and Finance Minister Dwight Duncan announced the plan at Queen's Park Wednesday.

Chan said the waterfront amusement park has cost the Ontario government about $20 million a year and attendance has dropped from 2.5 million when it opened in 1971 to about 300,000 a year.
http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...-place-to-close-this-summer-for-redevelopment

I did my test about 7-8 years ago so don't know how much it might have changed but yeah went on the highway then when I came back onto the regular roads I did everything from the G2 (3 point turn, parallel park, uphill/downhill parking, etc)
Mine was longer ago than that but all I did was get on the 404 at Lawrence, 401 E to VP and back down to the testing center. They cut mine short because there was a huge snow storm coming and they wanted to get in as many tests as possible before they had to cancel the rest of the day. I didn't even park when I got back, the tester asked me to drop him off in order to save time.

Oppo

bleh

I'm surprised to read this. People ask me for directions and stuff all the time, I always try to help out. I am also curious as to what hood you are running around.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I've heard him talk before, but man, this speech was even slower than usual.

He's so bent on subways because 'people elected him based on subways' that he won't listen to reason from any transit, or urban development planners. The cost of the underground Light Rail is going to be hilarious.

He couldn't find the gravy train, but it's hard to see it when you're in the driver's seat.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Look behind me, you cannot move!

*vrooooom*

Fuck, that sound got me.

Edit:

It's like he can't read more than 3 words on his sheet at a time before looking back up and repeating them. Bro, read the whole sentence and ad lib if you have to.

Nintendo Pod at Ontario Place was awesome because they had Mario 64 before the N64 was released to the public, also had a demo reel playing and I stood there watching it over and over just to see Goldeneye

I agree with shutting it all down for a few years, all the attractions there are old and dated =/

Fuzzy

A buddy of mine worked at Ontario Place back in highschool. He worked on the log ride and would love being in the tower. Instead of keeping an eye out he would read the magazines his co-workers stocked up there. He also told me about seeing at least one couple having sex on the OP grounds every day.

A buddy of mine worked at Ontario Place back in highschool. He worked on the log ride and would love being in the tower. Instead of keeping an eye out he would read the magazines his co-workers stocked up there. He also told me about seeing at least one couple having sex on the OP grounds every day.

I can believe that.

Anyway, I regret that I won't have an opportunity to sneak up on top of the pods again. I almost did it again this past summer, but it would have been too obvious.

Beez

Banned

Ugh that is so disgusting. That's a place for kids. :-/

Beez

Banned
That's the one I was talking about. He doesn't know how to speak without constantly looking at his speech. There are points where he says 1 or 2 words then has to look down again.

Ford is so bad. I can't really stand him. Not much I can do though. *shrugs*

Azih

I just came down with Mono recently but I just wanted to say how impressed I have been so far with medical care in Toronto/Canada. It was pretty awesome being able to have a free doctor provided by the university (UofT) simply by having ohip/uhip. He seems like a good doctor and when he recommended I go get an ultrasound and blood test done it was easy and I was able to walk 5 minutes to another building and get those done in a short time for no cost. Maybe it is because I have never lived in a city before, but I love how quickly and easily it is to get stuff done here without the need for a car or anything.

Yeah the combination of universal care and living in a dense city is awesome in terms of the kind of services you can access. UofT is a short walk away from some of the best hospitals in de damn country.

I'm glad that worked out well for you. My wife was also very impressed when she first came to Canada. They gave her an OHIP card even before she had her permanent residence status which it turned out she needed almost right away.
Healthcare for everyone is the one thing Canadians should always fight to keep.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Doug Ford wants to give the TTC an enema.

Beyond that, he’d like to see major changes throughout the organization. “I believe we need some business folks involved in the TTC,” the frank-talking Etobicoke councillor told The Globe and Mail. “As far as I am concerned the TTC needs a complete enema.”

Sadly, he's probably not displeased with things like prices, or customer service, but more upset about TTC and Metrolinx don't bending to the Ford's demands.

It is great living in a city for medical care. A lot of clinics have ultrasound and blood work labs right on site too. Glad you found a helpful doctor too. Feel better!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Listening to Stintz this morning on Metro Morning News. I'd be surprised if she's holding the TTC chair position by the end of the month. Mayor against her, Commission is apparently against her, Metrolinx and the Province is just laughing at everything in the background.

Interesting that she says that Eglinton is planned to be above ground east of Yonge still, and if that's going to change, council has to vote on it still. ie; Mayor has no power on his own to change the transit plans. Falls in line with the report that Ford cancelling Transit City outright by himself was not 'legal'.

Stet

Banned
Thanks for the heads up on this!
So it's a place to go and sit and bring your own lunch to eat?
Or is there a place to buy food and drinks there?

There's a cafe in the lobby, but it's not great. We usually get something nearby like Freshii, Fusaros, Le Gourmand or Burro Burrito and then we take the elevator to the top floor and just eat out there. There's a garden and everything.

whitehawk

Banned
I don't know cheap rooftop patios..

such a long time to wait
http://countingdownto.com/countdown/31724#.Tyq7qUhoo8B.facebook
FUCK
LLShC.gif

There's a cafe in the lobby, but it's not great. We usually get something nearby like Freshii, Fusaros, Le Gourmand or Burro Burrito and then we take the elevator to the top floor and just eat out there. There's a garden and everything.

Sounds great! thanks!

Who's up for more transit drama? And KPMG!

The 188-page report by former councillor Gordon Chong is not a financing plan — he calls it an “interim” report while noting that Toronto Transit Infrastructure Ltd. revived by Ford had a modest $100,000 budget.

Rather, it is a unabashedly political argument for the superiority of subways over surface light rail transit; a history of proposals for subways on Sheppard that draw exhaustively from a 20-year-old environmental assessment; and a list of possible revenue tools to build the line. Projected revenues from these tools are in the billions of dollars over the next 50 years.

As descriptions and excerpts leaked out Thursday, councillors opposed to Ford’s subway-centric vision blasted the report, saying it appears biased and based on unreliable financial predictions using options that Ford has categorically rejected.

Chong commissioned management consultants KPMG to assess the financial case for building an 11-station line from Downsview to Scarborough Town Centre primarily with private-sector investment.

“KPMG concluded that funding and financing for the Sheppard subway extension is feasible,” the report says.

“Policy/legislative support of council and the province would be required … Detailed analysis by KPMG of three revenue tools — tax increment financing (TIF), development charges (DC) and city-owned property rights — illustrate that a large revenue pool is available to finance construction of the Sheppard subway.”

But the report makes it clear the line — estimated by the TTC to cost $4.7 billion, while Chong sides with a $3.7 billion estimate from the provincial Metrolinx agency — won’t be built without a combination of other “revenue tools.” Those suggested are almost all toxic to Ford’s low-tax, car-friendly ethos, or out of the city’s power to impose.

The options include road pricing (zone-based tolls, expressway tolls, high occupancy toll lanes and vehicle-kilometre-travelled fees); parking pricing (parking sales tax; parking space levy); a special regional sales tax; a special gas tax; a passenger vehicle charge and a employee/payroll tax.

TTIL argues that it should be transformed from a Ford-created shoestring operation into a standalone independent corporation with an initial $10 million budget in full control of Toronto subway expansion. The TTC would be cut out of transit building and planning altogether.

Independence would “insulate the organization from short-term political change at all three levels of government,” the report states as battle rages at city hall between Ford and his council allies and councillors opposed to his plan to completely bury the provincially funded Eglinton line.

As expected, the report says the line should be built through a public-private-partnership, or P3, model.

It favours a “P3 availability” model that it says would see the city put up little or no cash until years into construction, with seed money coming from private investors and the provincial and federal government. The projections assume Ottawa will deliver on its pledge of $330 million for the Sheppard line and that the province will deliver fully on up to $650 million in potential surplus funds from construction of the Eglinton line.

“The analysis demonstrates that partnering with the private sector will dramatically improve the city’s ability to finance the project during the construction period …,” the report states.

“Alternative construction and procurement approaches offer the potential for the city to save the taxpayer hundreds of millions of dollars and accelerate Sheppard subway project completion.”

Josh Matlow, a centrist councillor among an apparent majority who want some of the Eglinton line brought to the surface to free up money for other lines, including a possible city-funded start to the Sheppard extension, predicted Chong’s report “will not be a major factor in Toronto’s transit planning.”

“We can’t deal with maybes and possibles and options that might come to fruition,” said Matlow, noting Ford rejected his proposal to consider tolls on the Gardiner Expressway and Don Valley Parkway to help fund transit. “This is not a reasonable, responsible way to plan a transit. Any businessman can see that.

“The mayor had many opportunities to work with colleagues to work on a plan we can move forward on. He has rejected it and now he has missed the train.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...pay-for-sheppard-subway-report-concludes?bn=1

I love how the report assumes there's going to be a $650M surplus on a line that hasn't even started construction yet.

Flash

Listening to Stintz this morning on Metro Morning News. I'd be surprised if she's holding the TTC chair position by the end of the month. Mayor against her, Commission is apparently against her, Metrolinx and the Province is just laughing at everything in the background.

Interesting that she says that Eglinton is planned to be above ground east of Yonge still, and if that's going to change, council has to vote on it still. ie; Mayor has no power on his own to change the transit plans. Falls in line with the report that Ford cancelling Transit City outright by himself was not 'legal'.

And wasn't she hand picked by Ford himself? lol ridiculous.

Top Bottom