• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

I haven't been in the Galleria since the late 80s for a ballet recital... looks like it hasn't even changed. I have eaten at the McDs outside there a few times recently + got drivethru from there. Never stayed long nor used the bathroom but it seemed clean.

How often does the Lansdowne bus run? I went by the station during rush hour and a huge crowd was waiting for buses, not huge like Dufferin levels but still pretty big.. made me worry that the Lansdowne bus might be rare like Christie.

Other than the major grocery places, are there small mom&pop shop types? Or have those all died away?

Dunno about the Landsdowne bus. I've never taken it. I always lived within a min of the subway station and taken Dufferin/Ossington buses if i need to go south since they run more frequently.

There's a couple small mom and pop produce places on Dufferin close to Bloor but at that point you might as well just go to the No Frills/Wal Mart unless you're anti-big box.

If you live on or close to Wallace, follow it west until it ends and there's a bridge that will take you across the train tracks and drops you off within a min walk of FreshCo/Shoppers Drug Mart and 5 mins from Lawblaws. That's probably your best bet.

Yeah, you're screwed when it comes to grocery stores, depending on exactly where you'll be everything will be at least a 20 min walk away.

Closest options are the Price Chopper at Galleria (ugliest/sketchiest/saddest mall in Toronto by far), No Frills at Dufferin Mall, No Frills at Dundas/Landsdowne or the FreshCo/Lawblaws at Dundas/Bloor.

Yeah, I've done some time in that mall. Horrible, horrible place.

FairyD

Anyone live in the Junction? I need some honest opinions about the Bloor/Lansdowne area, I know it's sketch but there are promises of gentrification and Ubisoft moved in... thono idea what will happen to the poisoned TTC lot.

The junction isn't a bad area. For the most part people mind their own business and is rather quiet. The area has been really been improving lately.

Yeah, you're screwed when it comes to grocery stores, depending on exactly where you'll be everything will be at least a 20 min walk away.

Closest options are the Price Chopper at Galleria (ugliest/sketchiest/saddest mall in Toronto by far), No Frills at Dufferin Mall, No Frills at Dundas/Landsdowne or the FreshCo/Lawblaws at Dundas/Bloor.

Sounds like someone hasnt been to Rexdale.

Takao

Banned
I haven't been to the Galleria in years. It was always pretty ghetto looking (no name stores, bootleg merch, etc.), but as a kid I'd go because of the card game Saturdays. Then a hobby store opened near my house, and that was the end of that.

In honour of EvilMario posting his Mississauga picture. Here is Mississauga ready for its closeup:

5890431924_e41f158e2d_b.jpg

I know I've posted those condo towers on here before but they are truly glorious and this artsy new picture seemed worth a post. (not my photo)

Rinoa

Loblaws, HK Harbor, Swatow, lol at some of my semi-regular places having inspection closures. Just about any busy spot gets probs eventually though.

Thanks for the info on Lansdowne everyone. I'm still on the fence about moving that far west, as it would be pretty much a permanent thing. I'm gathering as much info and opinions as I can for now... and weighing my options. I've got Annex in my blood (and still dream of a victorian) so it's hard!

Boogie

In honour of EvilMario posting his Mississauga picture. Here is Mississauga ready for its closeup:

I know I've posted those condo towers on here before but they are truly glorious and this artsy new picture seemed worth a post. (not my photo)

A pity that building will always be associated with a criminal kingpin in my mind... :-/

I went on a random Thursday at like 8PM and was seated at the bar right away. It was amazing.

Like others, though, if you're there on a date sit in the "traditional seating" area. It's too freaking loud in the main part for a date.

I really enjoyed 7 West when I was in University. They've got some decent cake.

Toni Bulloni's is good for Italian fare, decent wine list, "intimate" but not snotty, but call ahead there because they'll do events that book out the entire restaurant.

Bulloni's is or was owned (founded) by my childhood friends dad, I've never been though

They did open a location up in Thornhill but it didn't last very long

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

Wow nice.

Anyone know of any great BBQ resturaunts downtown? My Bday is on monday, im feeling for ribs and I'm tired of the usual Montana's Ribs.

Anyone know of any great BBQ resturaunts downtown? My Bday is on monday, im feeling for ribs and I'm tired of the usual Montana's Ribs.

The best ribs in town are at Stockyards! Although they only do them a few days per week and the place is really small so it is hard to get a seat.

Black-Box

wow that looks really nice, is it always light up like that at night, I swear on the go bus I pass it like 3 times a week at night...maybe I am sleeping when I pass it.

hopefully we get more unique buildings in the near future.

Presco

It's a bit west of downtown (Roncesvalles and Geoffrey) but Barque is an outstanding place for ribs and other BBQ. Get the sampler and leave very full and happy. It's also a hell of a lot nicer inside than Stockyards. Stockyards is very good but they only serve ribs a few times a week and they close early. Good takeout, not a great place to go and sit down and enjoy a meal.

edit - just checked their website and Stockyards doesn't do ribs on Monday

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Went to the Keg Mansion on Jarvis and Wellsley

Goddamn so full...

Steak was ok. I've had better. However, holy shit that double baked potato and garlic mash were excellent

ZZMitch

Went to the Keg Mansion on Jarvis and Wellsley

Goddamn so full...

Steak was ok. I've had better. However, holy shit that double baked potato and garlic mash were excellent

My parents love that place, whenever they come visit me at school they go out to eat there. I usually come with because I like it a lot too.

This year I've started walking around with a scarf over my mouth any time the temperature is under zero. I also bought winter boots for the first time in 15 years.
I like winter even more now! I feel totally warm out there every day!

This year I've started walking around with a scarf over my mouth any time the temperature is under zero. I also bought winter boots for the first time in 15 years.
I like winter even more now! I feel totally warm out there every day!

But it hasn't been that cold this year.

Dyno

Stet

Banned
So, what's this report going to actually do?

Are people just going to point at it and say, "oh dear, that's bad, mmhm mhmm. No he shouldn't have done that no siree. Bad mayor."

Or does it have the power legally to either reverse that decision or begin a process to do so?

Some people are going to point at it and say, "One has to wonder what Joe Mihevc is thinking with his silly legal opinion from a leftist law firm — to be unveiled Monday — that the mayor did not have the authority to cancel Transit City when he took office in December of 2010. I guess that means no new mayor can bring in new policies or change tracks."

You have three guesses as to the perpetrator of that nutty quote. No cheating!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first era (in a long time, at least) to introduce partisanship to municipal politics? Never in my lifetime do I remember hearing things about 'fascist, commies, pinkos, lefties, righties' as much as I do now. If there's one thing I hate about Ford, it's this. It's juvenile and it shows when you see council 'at work' (both sides are particularly childish).

That said, my councillor Mihevc is really doing a good job--probably his best efforts yet.

Some people are going to point at it and say, "One has to wonder what Joe Mihevc is thinking with his silly legal opinion from a leftist law firm — to be unveiled Monday — that the mayor did not have the authority to cancel Transit City when he took office in December of 2010. I guess that means no new mayor can bring in new policies or change tracks."

You have three guesses as to the perpetrator of that nutty quote. No cheating!

I love that. What people don't understand is that the role of the Mayor in our system is that he or she is supposed to bring leadership through inspiring the community and building consensus. To guide the debate.

Fordo thinks he can do things through bullying and making decisions on his own.

Flash

I can't brain how dumb Ford is, he's such a sockpuppet. I wonder who is the hand.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/30/its-all-about-subways-rob-ford-tells-city-hall-scrum/

good god this guy is an idiot... I would hate interviewing an idiot like him, seems frustrating as hell.

And it really did strike me as strange when the mayor scrapped transit city just like that. what an idiotic move, but I think the councillors didn't really do enough to fight back because at that time the public opinion of ford was (for whatever reason) high.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Wat...

Del Grande said:
“I mean, look, when the NDP came into power, I was a white male, I paid a very severe price because it had nothing to do with ability any more, it had to do with male versus female. There’s no point when the oppressed become the oppressors. It makes no sense at all. Either you get rid of oppression from everybody or we don’t. But you can’t then say, ‘Okay now it’s my turn to beat up on you.’”

Really? You're losing your grip on power because white males no longer hold any sway in the government?

And how the fuck is the NDP in power? They're minority opposition federally, the third party provincially, and has no official status municipally.

Councillor Mike Del Grande, Mayor Rob Ford’s budget chief, says he does not actually support the incendiary housing proposal he made last week.

Why, then, did he make it? Strictly to anger council’s lefties, he told the Toronto Sun.

At a meeting of Ford’s executive committee, Del Grande tabled a formal motion to take $36 million in affordable housing money, $16.4 million of which was supposed to go to Regent Park, and reallocate it to a proposed housing project in the ward of right-leaning Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti.

Pam McConnell, the left-leaning councillor who represents Regent Park, was furious — and that was the point, Del Grande (Ward 39, Scarborough-Agincourt) told the Sun.

Left-leaning councillors had complained to the committee about the inadequacy of federal and provincial housing funding, thus delaying — for mere minutes — the committee’s decision to approve the allocations proposed by city staff.

To retaliate, Del Grande said, he decided to do something with the intent of “throwing it” in the left-wingers’ faces.

“We had a report, we were prepared to pass the report and then they started, what they typically do, start to bang their feet and stuff,” he said.

“The game-playing was with them, they were playing the game and I just responded to their game to give them a taste of their own game-playing.”

Del Grande, known for his gruff demeanor and blunt talk, is a proud penny-pincher who sometimes brings a piggy bank to council meetings to remind his colleagues of the city’s fiscal challenges. But his fake proposal comes at a cost: the committee voted to have the city’s top bureaucrat, city manager Joe Pennachetti, write a report on it.

So a councillor made a motion that he knew would anger council, and then got upset that they became angry, because he thinks they only disliked the proposal for partisan reasons. Oh, and this was a proposal even HE couldn't support...

I think he proved Pam McConnell's point.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The Fords are really just a couple of idiots that don't know what they're doing. Del Grande and Mammoliti are the real sort of evil we should fear. Just watch a few council meetings and you'll understand.

Magnus

Just posted this in the Vita thread but figured it would be highly appropriate here too:

Vita kiosk demo booth is up just above the Urban Eatery in the Eaton Centre in Toronto. Finally got the chance to try it out just now.

My negative suspicions confirmed. Don't care for the feel of the unit, the buttons or the analog sticks. And the system's UI is confusing and a total scatterfuck of color with no unified design. Such a far cry from the elegance of the XMB.

Screen is nice and all, and the Uncharted demo was indeed cool. Staggering to think we've got a game that looks like UC in our pockets.

Head down if you wanna try it out.

Roto13

Just posted this in the Vita thread but figured it would be highly appropriate here too:

Vita kiosk demo booth is up just above the Urban Eatery in the Eaton Centre in Toronto. Finally got the chance to try it out just now.

My negative suspicions confirmed. Don't care for the feel of the unit, the buttons or the analog sticks. And the system's UI is confusing and a total scatterfuck of color with no unified design. Such a far cry from the elegance of the XMB.

Screen is nice and all, and the Uncharted demo was indeed cool. Staggering to think we've got a game that looks like UC in our pockets.

Head down if you wanna try it out.

Haven't there been Vitas in the EB Games across the street from there for a while now?

Top Bottom