• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

cbox

Did now magazine go to far?

http://www.globaltoronto.com/photoshopped+image/6442578069/story.html

ford_nowmagazine_copy.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Ironically, aside from the gun, that's the most flattering picture of Rob I've seen in a while.

Rinoa

Oh yeah? It seems like they are still working at it. Where did you hear this news?

I remember when that project was announced, I was looking at it with my wife because it's a great location and 2 floor units... but you could get a house for cheaper if you just look a bit more west like at Dufferin.. so it would be pointless to buy a condo so close but for more money than a house.

Cousin is an agent. Those condos originally were much cheaper but I didn't want to buy something that's not built yet. At this point some of the units are being re-sold for more. This was like a month ago though, I've given up on that bathurst/dupont once knew.

Ironically, aside from the gun, that's the most flattering picture of Rob I've seen in a while.

They thinned him out...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Cousin is an agent. Those condos originally were much cheaper but I didn't want to buy something that's not built yet. At this point some of the units are being re-sold for more. This was like a month ago though, I've given up on that bathurst/dupont once knew.
The only real problem about buying a pre-built condo is that they can force you "move in" before the entire building is finished. My cousin bought one across the street from the old Tip Top building a few years ago. One of the standard clauses was that once a certain percentage of the building was ready for residents you were forced to start paying "rent". You have to give post-dated cheques for 6 months and they'll not cash in the last ones if they finish before the 6 months is up. The problem is that this "rent" doesn't go towards your mortgage. My cousin ended up paying more than $6K over four months until they were able to finally transfer the condo into his name and then he started to pay his mortgage. He told me he was glad when that was over because his mortgage payments were a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than the "rent".

StevieP

Banned
No offense, but ever since I found out that GAF has a bestiality defense force, I'm not really eager to meet up.

Wait, what?

on a different note, i want to take a girl out in north york on monday night, around 7-730. have a car, we'll be leaving from seneca college. i don't know the area at all, any recomendations?

looking for somewhere to eat, or just other cool locations for a date. not necessarily a bar, since we'll just be getting drunk at her place afterwards probably, lol.

Brass Rail.

wait, Seneca? Whiskey A-Go-Go.

Rinoa

The only real problem about buying a pre-built condo is that they can force you "move in" before the entire building is finished. My cousin bought one across the street from the old Tip Top building a few years ago. One of the standard clauses was that once a certain percentage of the building was ready for residents you were forced to start paying "rent". You have to give post-dated cheques for 6 months and they'll not cash in the last ones if they finish before the 6 months is up. The problem is that this "rent" doesn't go towards your mortgage. My cousin ended up paying more than $6K over four months until they were able to finally transfer the condo into his name and then he started to pay his mortgage. He told me he was glad when that was over because his mortgage payments were a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than the "rent".

Yup, I have several coworkers who got bit by that scam. Move in date comes around and they have to pay fees, can't even live in it, and everything is all wrong (rooms, size, colors, even floor)! They had rich parents to bail them out though.

StevieP

Banned
thx guys. turns out its that time of the month, so the evening wont end as early or in the way we'd planned on :(

on the upside, getting drunk at the bar is now on the table! i'll go google those places.

Look what we've done, roto. I almost feel bad. Almost

mcrae

pretty funny how i've heard the name zanzibar many times, just never clued in to the fact that its a strip club.

ah well..

StevieP

Banned
pretty funny how i've heard the name zanzibar many times, just never clued in to the fact that its a strip club.

ah well..

If it wasn't that time of the month, joking aside - taking a girl to a strip club *can* be hot as hell. Depends on their attitude towards strip clubs haha.

*puts 5 in her mouth, pushes her on stage* woohoo!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So..

•GG• Rob Ford: HELLO BRATHAR
•GG• Doug Ford is now Online.
•GG• Doug Ford: whar my beer and lingerie bowl and subway?!
•GG• Doug Ford: WHERE DAMMIT!
•GG• Doug Ford is now Away.
•GG• Doug Ford is now Online.
•GG• Rob Ford: SUBWAYZ
•GG• Rob Ford: GRAVEY TRAINZ
•GG• Doug Ford: WAR ON CARZ?!
•GG• Rob Ford: VOTERS ASKED FOR IT
•GG• Rob Ford: RIP OUT THOSE BICYCLES LANES
•GG• Doug Ford: i did!
•GG• Rob Ford: WAT DO U MEAN I LOST A VOTE
•GG• Rob Ford: IMMA GONNA SAY IT WAS IRRELEVANT
•GG• Rob Ford: AND IGNORE EVERYONE
•GG• Doug Ford: IT'S WHAT THE PEOPLE WANT! THEY'VE BEEN TELLING ME THAT DAMMIT!
•GG• Rob Ford: I KNOW
•GG• Doug Ford: I'M TALKING ON THE PHONE AND DRIVING! I'M DOING HARD WORK YOU SINGLE MOM! FUCK YOU!
•GG• Rob Ford: I TALKED TO YOU AND YOU TOLD ME YOU WANTED IT
•GG• Rob Ford: AND YOU'RE A TAX PAYER
•GG• Rob Ford: THESE OTHER PEOPLE ARE JUST PART OF SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS
•GG• Rob Ford: AT LEAST IT'S FRIDAY, TIME TO GET WASTED AND HAVE MY WIFE CALL THE COPS AROUND MIDNIGHT
•GG• Doug Ford: GODDAMN THOSE 22 MINUTES SCRUBS!
•GG• Rob Ford: I SAID CUT BUDGET BY 10%, NOT RESPONSE TIME
•GG• Rob Ford: DON'T THEY KNOW WHO I AM
•GG• Rob Ford: ROB FUCKING FORD
•GG• Rob Ford: BITTTTCHEZ
•GG• Doug Ford: BITTTTCHEZ!!!!

ZZMitch

The Toronto Raptors game tonight was really fun! That was the first time I had been to an NBA game before. They won against the Celtics. I would go again if I got the chance with cheaper tickets like I did this time!

The Toronto Raptors game tonight was really fun! That was the first time I had been to an NBA game before. They won against the Celtics. I would go again if I got the chance with cheaper tickets like I did this time!

Wow that is a surprising result considering the Celtics really spanked the Raptors last time they played. Glad you had a good time.

Passed my G2 test! Huge weight off my shoulders.

Congrats! Only one test away from not having to deal with the scammers at Drive Test Ontario! Go for your G as soon as you are eligible. Don't wait like I did till a few months before my license expired. Adds more pressure. I know everyone says this when they fail but graduated licensing is a scam. I failed my G2 once and my G once. It's sad when people drive an hour to Guelph or some other small town because they have a higher chance to pass. That's when you know something is wrong with our system. I did mine in Brampton and apparently it has the highest rate of fail in the province. My sister failed in Brampton as she's honestly the worst driver ever se doesn't deserve to have her license and then she went to orangeville and passed. System is fucked and they only care about making money. Too many shitty drivers on our roads. Glad I take the bus.

soultron

Banned
Why don't we work on setting a date for the TO-GAF meet up first before we get into specifics?

How about the weekend of 02 March? We could do either the Friday or the Saturday. We'll plan what and where when we've got specifics down.

It also gives me time to buff up on my Rob Ford research so I can pile onto the gravy train when the discussion eventually veers off the gravy rails.
Now I just want poutine. SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE?

I can't do the first half of March because I'll be in New York/Massechusetts with my wife visiting her family. I'm kinda scared of meeting people from the internet anyways but I guess I could try to shake that if it is on a different weekend.

Happy Saturday to you all! Here is the Toronto photo of the day:

6841211755_e9b4ee9971_b.jpg

What the hell were they thinking when they designed those buildings - so ugly.

It was Toronto attempt at a "project", before we discovered "projects" turn to shit.

Anyway, 30 years from now they're gonna look at all those generic glass condos down by the lake and wonder the same thing.

Brinbe

Ah, neat. You live in St Jamestown!

Here is an article about the last holdout house from the creation of the neighborhood printed in 1971:

F5UGw.jpg
Awesome! Not sure if it's the same one, but there's definitely still one left in-front of my apt.
V8tBY.jpg

And these apts are definitely ugly, no question, but they've done great job renovating my place during the past few years and I have no problem with it.

Also, please don't call my home, "shit", thanks. I hate that attitude whenever I read it on here or other forums.

Stet

Banned
Awesome! Not sure if it's the same one, but there's definitely still one left in-front of my apt.
V8tBY.jpg

And these apts are definitely ugly, no question, but they've done great job renovating my place during the past few years and I have no problem with it.

Also, please don't call my home, "shit", thanks. I hate that attitude whenever I read it on here or other forums.

There are a few of these kinds of homes still on Glen Rd. south of Sherbourne, but they're almost all bought-out now and a condo building is planned for that block. Shame.

Flash

Anyone been to Bar244? I've never been but seems like drinks are pretty damn cheap ($3) on Saturdays. Which is especially surprising seeing it is entertainment district lol

Anyway, 30 years from now they're gonna look at all those generic glass condos down by the lake and wonder the same thing.

The only real big masterplan down there was CityPlace and I think if the city was able to go back in time, they wouldn't have sold such a huge parcel of land to one developer. Oh well. I don't think it'll be the disaster many are predicting but I think not nearly enough thought went into making it feel like an actual neighborhood with a predictable street grid, shops etc...

Anyone been to Bar244? I've never been but seems like drinks are pretty damn cheap ($3) on Saturdays. Which is especially surprising seeing it is entertainment district lol

Its ok in there, kind of small, I went once a few years ago, took forever to get service at the bar

The upper level has tables, lower level has dancing

I have some friends that kept going there every week, they seemed to like it for the most part......

Since we are on the topic of St Jamestown, here is a photo of a fire that broke out in one of the apartment buildings back in 2010:

20100924stjamestownfire-lead.jpg

Fourteen people were injured but no one died. The cause of the fire was a cigarette thrown from a balcony.

grumble

I've been there a lot.

1. Cheap drinks ALL the time.
2. Service isn't bad.
3. Crowd is pretty young on average, think 25 or less
4. Fairly small place, some seating but get there early to get it. It's a 'bar-bar' in the main area, and a small dance floor off the bar.

I enjoy it. It's consistently fun, I can drink a lot without breaking the bank, it's conveniently downtown and it's fairly casual.

Generally recommended.

Stet

Banned
Since we are on the topic of St Jamestown, here is a photo of a fire that broke out in one of the apartment buildings back in 2010:

20100924stjamestownfire-lead.jpg

Fourteen people were injured but no one died. The cause of the fire was a cigarette thrown from a balcony.

Yeah, I remember walking home and seeing it, since it's a block and a half from my place. Apparently the guy on the balcony the cigarette landed on was a hoarder of newspapers. Careless smokers are awful in general, though. There was a (contained) fire in our building from the same cause.

iustfyOEPC5xN.png

I've had people from downstairs knock on my door and ask if I'm a smoker because they constantly have cigarette butts landing on their terrace. So rude.

Whenever someone says Bar244 I think of Bistro 422. The latter serves mixed drinks in pitchers.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Why not instead of burying street cars, we bury cars? Pull a Big Dig, and bury the Gardiner. It completely cuts off the waterfront from the downtown. Property values on both sides would soar, tax revenues would increase.

Burying a transit line wouldn't really change the streetscape, but getting rid of a giant overhanging highway?

Top Bottom