• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I'm from etobicoke - i do not want those fat fucks close to the municipal government

if by behind them doug means we'd like to kick their ass so fucking hard out the door... i agree

actually i challenge them. I challenge ford to call for an election and see how much we're behind them

sammich

I would think Kennedy station is the worst. Ive actually walked beside pools of blood there once. Learned later this was a stabbing. Long time ago though. Not to mention the numerous times is see cop cars rush to the place.

Now Doug Ford wants to hold a referendum. Wow, how about we hold a referendum every time these morons cut services like the TTC.

Why don't they just focus on raising that magical corporate money for the Sheppard Line? This new plan isn't at odds with that at all since Sheppard isn't touched at this point. They can prove to everyone how they can secure that funding since none of this money that just got diverted was set aside for Sheppard anyways.

Go ahead, Fords. Let's see those awesome private partners you had lined up to pay for it. There is nothing stopping you.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...m-that-province-wants-subways/article2332548/

“I confirmed once again that I needed the approval of the council,” Premier Dalton McGuinty said at a media scrum in Ottawa on Thursday. “Should he receive that, great, we’re off to the races. Should he not receive that and council decides they want to pursue another decision, that is something I feel obligated to consider.”

Thursday Mr. McGuinty expressed his frustration with the repeated delays for the Eglinton transit project, saying he would like a response “sooner rather than later” and has been “very clear with the mayor from Day 1” that the support of the council was paramount.

“Any costs associated with the delay and costs associated with changes in the plan must be borne by the city of Toronto,” Mr. McGuinty added. ‘We’re standing at the ready, and we’ve got good money and we want to do what we believe Torontonians want us to do, make progress.”

-----

Why don't they just focus on raising that magical corporate money for the Sheppard Line? This new plan isn't at odds with that at all since Sheppard isn't touched at this point. They can prove to everyone how they can secure that funding since none of this money that just got diverted was set aside for Sheppard anyways.

Go ahead, Fords. Let's see those awesome private partners you had lined up to pay for it. There is nothing stopping you.

That's going to be the next real test. At the end of March the expert panel is going to report on what the best way to deliver transit will be for Sheppard, and it may or may not be subways.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Metrolinx live press conference on CityNews right now.

EDIT: Sorry, it's the Minister of Transportation that's speaking.

Reporters and politicians need to correct the Fords every time they call Eglinton a subway, and remind them it'll be underground where it needs to be

Derp

And lol @ Hudak demanding subways even though it was his party that killed the Eglinton line in the 90's =/

Fuzzy

Minister of Transportation just said he sent a letter to Ford to have a meeting with him and his brother about transit and they never responded.

Minister of Transportation just said he sent a letter to Ford to have a meeting with him and his brother about transit and they never responded.

Oh snap

Maybe it got lost in the mail, or Rob Ford doesn't waste taxpayer money on having a competent office staff and they though it was junk mail :eek:

It's amazing to me how many of these reporters don't understand how local politics work. Decisions of council always supersede what a mayor wants. It's not a dictatorship. In council, the mayor is just another vote.

I liked the part where they said they are digging on the buried part first (starting this summer) before construction any other part of the Eglinton Line. That means the middle part will be completed first which means they could easily open that part of the line while still constructing the other parts if they want to.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I wish some of these morons with the "downtown vs suburb" narrative would use their brains. Neither of these plans include any downtown projects. What does downtown possibly have to gain by screwing over the suburbs?

DopeyFish

I wish some of these morons with the "downtown vs suburb" narrative would use their brains. Neither of these plans include any downtown projects. What does downtown possibly have to gain by screwing over the suburbs?

another thing is the LRT plan would service so much more of toronto

the original Transit City was absolutely MASSIVE compared to what they're doing - the burbs would have had so much more lines if they could just not screw with the process

I want my LRT plans back :<

another thing is the LRT plan would service so much more of toronto

the original Transit City was absolutely MASSIVE compared to what they're doing - the burbs would have had so much more lines if they could just not screw with the process

I want my LRT plans back :<

One step at a time, that 8.4 billion was to cover all of Transit City, right?

How much does Eglinton and Finch cost now?

DopeyFish

transit city cost $8.7 billion

the current plan costs about $8.4 billion

unfortunately the LRT for my area would run about $1 billion

if they do make sheppard an LRT, do only partial underground, the rest of transit city might go ahead

but it's unlikely, it's really depressing to watch the right wingers shit on the city

A decision's going to be made on Sheppard either way by the end of March. It's either going to be an LRT or subway + tolls + taxes. If people want subways, it's going to have to be paid for.

Rinoa

When I go downtown for games I have two choices for my way home. Take a bus across from Finch station then walk up to my house or take a bus up from Kennedy station that stops right behind my house. There's a reason I always go to Finch. I've lived in Scarborough for 30 years and I'm smart enough to avoid shit holes like Kennedy station.

One other thing.

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/326389

The cops have been called to christie several times back then because of the lack of security and camera coverage there. Stations such as Lansdowne, Kennedy, Warden, Christie have places where this happens and people either can't see or the people that ARE there ignore it.

Its also not like the 8.4B from the Province was going to be used for a Shep subway, only what was leftover from Eglinton, which they kept saying was going to be less than they thought after doing more studies

So if Ford can find the funding then he can go ahead and no one will fight him on it

Its also not like the 8.4B from the Province was going to be used for a Shep subway, only what was leftover from Eglinton, which they kept saying was going to be less than they thought after doing more studies

So if Ford can find the funding then he can go ahead and no one will fight him on it

The problem is he doesn't want to find funding, he wants the subway fairy to pay for the whole thing without strings. His hand-picked guy came back after working on a report for a year and he threw the whole thing in the trash because it talked about needing road tolls (and even then, the project was still $1B short).

Divvy

It's amazing. He can't find any funding for one short extension and there are councillors who think they're going to get subways on finch and in etobicoke.

Fuzzy

The problem is he doesn't want to find funding, he wants the subway fairy to pay for the whole thing without strings. His hand-picked guy came back after working on a report for a year and he threw the whole thing in the trash because it talked about needing road tolls (and even then, the project was still $1B short).
But Ford said there were private sector businesses lining up to pay for the subway so it shouldn't be a problem for him to pay for it.

dudeworld

Toronto photo of the day (in honour of transit in our city):

pS4RZ.jpg

here is the wallpaper sized version if anyone likes this image

keep these coming bro. as someone who was born and raised in Toronto and then moved away, I really miss the place. I like seeing these photos

Quick

Banned
I really enjoy Toronto-Age.

I get:

The hilarity of the Fords.

New information about the city I previously haven't known.

Added_time's photos.

Restaurant recommendations.

And more.

Divvy

I really enjoy Toronto-Age.

I get:

The hilarity of the Fords.

New information about the city I previously haven't known.

Added_time's photos.

Restaurant recommendations.

And more.

Toronto-age is really the best City-age

DopeyFish

Is this image accurate?

toDCE.jpg

that was the original transit city which is kind of different... some things already have streetcars (waterfront) so they are just upgrades

it's both accurate and misleading

It's actually miller vs ford plans

Fuck I wanted miller to run again

Divvy

Is this image accurate?

toDCE.jpg

It is fairly misleading. For one thing, the Eglington LRT is in both plans and is missing from the right side. The left hand side shows the complete Transit city plan, but the option we're getting is only the first phase. It still serves far more people than the Ford plan, but it's not nearly as lopsided.

Quick

Banned
Tomorrow's my road test. I'm panicking inside.

Toronto-age is really the best City-age

Thanks, EvilMario, for making this thread.

Having lived here for about 10 years now, any information thrown in this thread is basically new to me. And I always check the start of the thread for any info on stores or restaurants, or anything that might be of interest.

Thanks, EvilMario, for making this thread.

I give my thanks to EvilMario as well! This is the only place I really post on GAF besides various pinball threads.

(I just hope I can help with the restaurant recommendations next time... I feel that is the only thing lacking in the OP.. in terms of quantity and quality of restaurant choices.. but I know it's a pain to put together so I'd be glad to help!)

Kraftwerk

We need to have a Toronto meetup of some kind. A bunch of other cities are doing it on Gaf, with great success too. I would imagine the Toronto meetup will be packed :0

Top Bottom