• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

We need to have a Toronto meetup of some kind. A bunch of other cities are doing it on Gaf, with great success too. I would imagine the Toronto meetup will be packed :0

No offense, but ever since I found out that GAF has a bestiality defense force, I'm not really eager to meet up.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I give my thanks to EvilMario as well! This is the only place I really post on GAF besides various pinball threads.

(I just hope I can help with the restaurant recommendations next time... I feel that is the only thing lacking in the OP.. in terms of quantity and quality of restaurant choices.. but I know it's a pain to put together so I'd be glad to help!)

I'll gladly help too with the OP.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I give my thanks to EvilMario as well! This is the only place I really post on GAF besides various pinball threads.

(I just hope I can help with the restaurant recommendations next time... I feel that is the only thing lacking in the OP.. in terms of quantity and quality of restaurant choices.. but I know it's a pain to put together so I'd be glad to help!)

Thanks, EvilMario, for making this thread.

Having lived here for about 10 years now, any information thrown in this thread is basically new to me. And I always check the start of the thread for any info on stores or restaurants, or anything that might be of interest.

Thanks guys. I always welcome help with the OP when it comes to recommending restaurants and places of interest. The list was longer before, but a lot of recommendations didn't have anything written up for them. I feel that if I want to list something, I need to be able to explain why I think it's worth everyone's time to try out.

We need to have a Toronto meetup of some kind. A bunch of other cities are doing it on Gaf, with great success too. I would imagine the Toronto meetup will be packed :0

What location would be choose? There are places like Snakes and Lattes for some board games, or something more food oriented like one of the many Korean BBQs with all you can eat. Even just having a casual meetup at a place like A&C World on a weekend to play some games might be fun. A billion pubs and places for drinks available too. If we ever did this, you guys are choosing, not me. :p

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Only if Forza and Manics come.

Rip
Account suicides together. Like Romeo and Juliet but with more box stretching.

I remember there was a meet up in snakes and lattes, but there were't many people.

Not sure what we would all do together as well. I also assume many people will say they'll go but won't.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Rip

I remember there was a meet up in snakes and lattes, but there were't many people.

Not sure what we would all do together as well. I also assume many people will say they'll go but won't.

I think the base for Toronto-Age is probably a bit stronger now than the previous meetup, because we've had this thread to bring people in and become more familiar with one another.

Kraftwerk

What location would be choose? There are places like Snakes and Lattes for some board games, or something more food oriented like one of the many Korean BBQs with all you can eat. Even just having a casual meetup at a place like A&C World on a weekend to play some games might be fun. A billion pubs and places for drinks available too. If we ever did this, you guys are choosing, not me. :p

Anywhere. I guess we can seek suggestions from fellow gaffers, and decide on whichever date/place gets the most votes.

Rip

I think the there was some confusion with the last meetup, thus no one showing up.

Quick

Banned
Wouldn't mind meeting some Toronto Gaffers for some lunch or dinner. Korean BBQ seems like an easy place to go to, considering the amount of them scattered around downtown.

How about that Japanese place that's been discussed here, the name of which I forgot? That one with two locations where people sit on the floor or something. Price could deter people, though.

I throw a DJ night with my wife on the 4th Friday of every month at Cloak & Dagger (it's a pub)... but I wonder if she would be weirded out if a bunch of people showed up and I'm like "I know them from a videogame forum on the internet!"
Anyways, any of you are free to come to that any time if you wanna have a beer with me and the awesome wife.

Wouldn't mind meeting some Toronto Gaffers for some lunch or dinner. Korean BBQ seems like an easy place to go to, considering the amount of them scattered around downtown.

How about that Japanese place that's been discussed here, the name of which I forgot? That one with two locations where people sit on the floor or something. Price could deter people, though.

Guu.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I say we meet up at the Tim Horton's that Rob Ford goes to in the morning so we can have a chat with him.

whitehawk

Banned
Perhaps a karaoke bar?

Actually the best place for a GAF meetup would be Dave and Busters. I would have said Playdium but they don't exist except for Mississauga.

Unfortunately the closest Dave and Busters is out near York.

Playdium sucks though. I worked at canyon creek square one and we'd get gift cards from staff there who would come in to eat and the only thing good there is the batting cages. I can spend 2 hours on those easy. The Videogames aren't good. I'm not too I to retro gaming maybe those who are would find it fun because they haven't updated the games since the place opened.

Never been to Dave and Busters. I'd attend a GAF meetup. Maybe during march break cause school controls my life right now.

Edit: Feb 21-24 is reading week.

whitehawk

Banned
Surprised Playdium still exists. It's fun at times but not a place I would go for a hangout.
Me and my family drove to it for my 14th birthday or something, and it wasn't that great. There wasn't anyway there, so it wasn't very... exciting I guess? And the rollercoaster machine was half-broken.

I have memories of the downtown toronto one when it was packed with people. They even had a climbing wall. Really a shame arcades can't thrive anymore.

What really needs to happen is someone has to host a house party like that GAFer in California did.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Restaurant recommendation:

Bishop and Belcher.
http://www.bishopandbelcher.com/menu

I went there on wednesday and got 3 pounds of amazing wings for 9 bucks. They have some pretty good nightly specials and the food was great.

And if you order one of the nightly specials you get a side for only $1.

This:

183142_10150100289032651_502042650_6759067_4069538_n.jpg

Came up to a total of like $12

mcrae

No offense, but ever since I found out that GAF has a bestiality defense force, I'm not really eager to meet up.

rofl. i think i'd try and make it out from hamilton regardless.

on a different note, i want to take a girl out in north york on monday night, around 7-730. have a car, we'll be leaving from seneca college. i don't know the area at all, any recomendations?

looking for somewhere to eat, or just other cool locations for a date. not necessarily a bar, since we'll just be getting drunk at her place afterwards probably, lol.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yeah. The big thing that's going to scare people away are food they won't eat, participating in something they're uncomfortable with (you'd be surprised how much karaoke scares people, whether they're singing, or not), or having to travel a really far distance. I think sticking to the core is the best, simply because it's a centralized location for most.

It's probably why Snakes and Lattes is a decent location. It's just board games, and not really focused on food that might turn some people off. There's a bunch of places to eat around though if people do get hungry though.

Bishop and Belcher.

I went there on wednesday and got 3 pounds of amazing wings for 9 bucks. They have some pretty good nightly specials and the food was great.

Amazing, I love cheap pub food.

Kraftwerk

Bishop and Belcher.

This:

183142_10150100289032651_502042650_6759067_4069538_n.jpg

Fuck yes.

We need to go to a place like this. Cheap greasy food and tons of drinks. Goal should be to gain 10 pounds and get wrecked in one night. I'm on a diet, but I will devour everything in that picture D:<

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
http://www.newstalk1010.com/News/localnews/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10346879

Despite Transit Defeat, Half of City Supports Mayor

Mayor Rob Ford says he has a mandate to build subways and according to the latest numbers from Ipsos-Reid, he has the support of half of Toronto.

According to Ipsos Reid VP John Wright, their polling puts the Mayor's approval rating at 50% across the city, which is significant, as Wright estimates a Mayor in Toronto could win an election with roughly 35% of the vote.

The majority of support for the Mayor comes from the suburbs with close to 60% approving of the job he's done.

Wright says Ipsos-Reid polling suggests that 70-75% of downtown, East York, and York disapprove of the mayor, but his support in Scarborough, North York, and Etobicoke gives the mayor an approval rating at 50%.

Support is down significantly from March 2011, when Ford's approval rating was at a sky high 72%. A Forum research survey put Ford's approval rating at 42% in September 2011.

Ford's transit plan was defeated 25-18 Wednesday night at a special meeting of council, despite the mayor's insistence that people backed his subway plan.

Rinoa

The Ford mentality is so stupid, I can't stand it. You can't "fight" for subways, just like you can't "fight" to win the lottery.

It saddens me to see dumb people nodding their heads to what they say. I mean yeah, they speak the same language (i.e. football) and also don't know jack about reality.

Stet

Banned
It's just a campaign of misinformation. The referendum that Doug Ford wants would probably ask, "Do you want subways?" which is a dumb question and a completely irrelevant one at that.

The question should be, "Do you want xx kilometres of subways, which would move xx people at the $8bn we have available, and would be complete sometime in 2030, or do you want xx kilometres of LRT, which would move xx people at the $8bn we have available, and would be complete sometime in the next half decade?"

The numbers speak for themselves.

It's just a campaign of misinformation. The referendum that Doug Ford wants would probably ask, "Do you want subways?" which is a dumb question and a completely irrelevant one at that.

The question should be, "Do you want xx kilometres of subways, which would move xx people at the $8bn we have available, and would be complete sometime in 2030, or do you want xx kilometres of LRT, which would move xx people at the $8bn we have available, and would be complete sometime in the next half decade?"

The numbers speak for themselves.

The greatest bit of misinformation is that they want people to believe that a fully buried Eglinton Line is a subway when it is really still just an LRT.

Rinoa

Very true!

(by the way did you see my post replying to you about the condo at Bathurst and Dupont? I'm very curious which one it is that you said wouldn't get completed)

Oops didn't see. Yep that's the one. It was not done/livable last I saw. That's because the guys building it are waiting for money from ppl buying units. It should have been done ages ago.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Guys, Remember how I helped my friend with that drag assignment she had in class?... Facebook conversation from 5 minutes ago, I'm the bold

ok so
we did a fashion charity show last week at my school
it was actually in the toronto star
so they took magazine clippings and posted them on the wall in the front of the school
i mean newspaper clippings
anyways they were taking pictures the whole fashion show
so there are all these retarded pictures of me giving thumbs up
and pictures of the models
and they were all super crazy looks
like flowers on the eyes and painted on masks and shit
and i'm looking
and then I see your fucking photo up there
bahahahahahahaha

WHAT?!

they thought you were one of the female models for the fashion show

OH MAN

because the pictures were on the camera from before
hahahahahahahahahahah

AMAZING

i couldn't stop laughing all morning
lol
i know right

holy shit
Toronto star
wow

Edit - okay phew, she clarified, it wasn't in the Toronto Star - her school just put up pictures alongside newspaper clippings. That would have been... astronomical.

Oops didn't see. Yep that's the one. It was not done/livable last I saw. That's because the guys building it are waiting for money from ppl buying units. It should have been done ages ago.

Oh yeah? It seems like they are still working at it. Where did you hear this news?

I remember when that project was announced, I was looking at it with my wife because it's a great location and 2 floor units... but you could get a house for cheaper if you just look a bit more west like at Dufferin.. so it would be pointless to buy a condo so close but for more money than a house.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Guys, Remember how I helped my friend with that drag assignment she had in class?... Facebook conversation from 5 minutes ago, I'm the bold

ok so
we did a fashion charity show last week at my school
it was actually in the toronto star
so they took magazine clippings and posted them on the wall in the front of the school
i mean newspaper clippings
anyways they were taking pictures the whole fashion show
so there are all these retarded pictures of me giving thumbs up
and pictures of the models
and they were all super crazy looks
like flowers on the eyes and painted on masks and shit
and i'm looking
and then I see your fucking photo up there
bahahahahahahaha

WHAT?!

they thought you were one of the female models for the fashion show

OH MAN

because the pictures were on the camera from before
hahahahahahahahahahah

AMAZING

i couldn't stop laughing all morning
lol
i know right

holy shit
Toronto star
wow

Edit - okay phew, she clarified, it wasn't in the Toronto Star - her school just put up pictures alongside newspaper clippings. That would have been... astronomical.

Hahaha that's amazing. Is there a link to the story?

Top Bottom