• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Adding another layer to the debate, Coun. Frances Nunziata recommended that responsibility for the TTC be turned over to Metrolinx, the province's transportation system.

"It’s time we gave the responsibility back to the province. Let them make the decision," she said, adding 'because obviously we can’t manage" the TTC.
http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...--council-votes-to-dissolve-current-ttc-board

I don't think I'd really mind that too much. Then again, I'm not a TTC user. The only thing I'd be worried about is when Hudak wins the next election.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
As one TTC worker said to me 'Queen St will open back up on Monday. And no, there won't be any delays. It's a Metrolinx project, not a TTC project. They actually finish on time'

Basically it's just a hail mary, but the Province already said they'll listen to the council, so fat chance.

Erm, folks, if (like me) you were wondering where that info came from....

Also, open question: if the new board is supposed to be comprised of four citizens, and they're not going to take their seats till October, do the current councillors have the mandate to proceed in the interim?

Firestorm

Toronto Poke-GAF:

Pokemon Canadian National Video Game Championships is in Toronto from June 30th to July 1st at the Doubletree Hilton. So I'll be in town again that weekend more likely than not. You should attend too!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Toronto Poke-GAF:

Pokemon Canadian National Video Game Championships is in Toronto from June 30th to July 1st at the Doubletree Hilton. So I'll be in town again that weekend more likely than not. You should attend too!

Too bad you can't come for the meet up. Love to rub that finals loss...er...welcome you back.

Erm, folks, if (like me) you were wondering where that info came from....

Also, open question: if the new board is supposed to be comprised of four citizens, and they're not going to take their seats till October, do the current councillors have the mandate to proceed in the interim?

I suppose. If they all agree on things, 7 members of a board of 11 is certainly a majority.

Azih

Doug Ford said that he'd put John Tory on it lol, thats the right wing's answer to every appointment, put Tory on it
Doug Ford is so damn clueless. John Tory is not a Ford yes man by any stretch. Dude put his name to a letter blasting Doug's monorail/ferris-wheel plan.

Dyno

Mayor Loses council vote

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ses-as-ttc-board-restructured/article2359388/

Some additional commentary

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-plunges-city-hall-into-chaos/article2359820/

Wow this mayor is failing hard! The vote went 29 - 15. Stintz was redeemed and and mayors counterattack was utterly thwarted. Not only has transit been basically pulled away from the mayor, but if a voting block of 30 or more is achieved then the mayor loses control of the agenda.

Dyno

At lunch today the crew and I discussed the latest round of council votes at length. Some men frame a political loss in sexual terms, you may have even done this yourself on occasion. They term a political loss as an act of violation whereby the loser has been made submissive by an unwanted penetration of some sort. This of course is rude behaviour. That said...

To say that Karen Stintz strapped on a dildo and pegged our mayor's brown love-button would be coarse and undignified, also it would be an understatement. To say that our mayor was victim to an ungreased, backdoor, hammer-time girlie-boy session would be feral and disgusting but also wholly accurate.

Good times.

ZZMitch

Toronto FC vs LA Galaxy tonight was pretty awesome. It was the first professional soccer game I have been too! Rogers Centre was pretty packed, 47500 or so people there!

Some pics I took:

422680_3418969953923_1260361257_33420848_515475210_n.jpg

64169_3418984394284_1260361257_33420862_931455207_n.jpg

423719_3418985834320_1260361257_33420864_1011816622_n.jpg

417298_3418992274481_1260361257_33420872_844268933_n.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

dudeworld

wow the stadium looks packed. Is that surprising for a north american soccer match? To me it is. Although I guess Beckham being there would help (he still plays for LA Galaxy right?)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
wow the stadium looks packed. Is that surprising for a north american soccer match? To me it is. Although I guess Beckham being there would help (he still plays for LA Galaxy right?)

Toronto loves their soccer team. 4th in the league in attendance numbers, basically selling out BMO Field every match.

Seattle is really impressive though, almost 40k per match. Far and away the most.

ZZMitch

Yeah Beckham was there, he is the guy getting some loving from the fans in the 4th picture. Every time he touched the ball he was booed heh.

Toronto loves their soccer team. 4th in the league in attendance numbers, basically selling out BMO Field every match.

Seattle is really impressive though, almost 40k per match. Far and away the most.

Well, it's one thing to sell out at BMO Field (it's about 20,000 seats or so), it's quite another to fill the Rogers Centre, which at capacity can hold about 50,000+.

If there's that kind of demand for every game, geez...why build a stadium that only seats 20,000? So much more profit to be made...

Azih

Well, it's one thing to sell out at BMO Field (it's about 20,000 seats or so), it's quite another to fill the Rogers Centre, which at capacity can hold about 50,000+.

If there's that kind of demand for every game, geez...why build a stadium that only seats 20,000? So much more profit to be made...

The history of soccer in North America is... sad to say the least. MLS is succeeding by being incredibly cautious about expansion and it's working. Still very few clubs are profitable.

For all the derision MLS gets I think it's a solid 2nd tier league now and getting better.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Well, most stadiums in the league sell around that mark, which is why making a stadium for around 20,000 was a smart idea. It's very intimate and they're not having to give tickets away if the team begins to stink and interest wanes. I don't think they could sell out 40k+ per game during the season, and having a packed BMO field produces a great atmosphere. And if the team goes into the tank for a couple of seasons, they probably still sell enough tickets at BMO field without looking like a depressing Jays vs. Pirates interleague series game in July.

I wish the Jays played in a 30k stadium sometimes. ;)

Hieberrr

TFC-Galaxy game was so fun! I stood with the supporters in 117 (based on ZZMitch's pics, it would be on the top right corner). One of the best atmospheres that I have experienced, and that's saying a lot since I've attended the Raptors-Nets playoff game a few years back.

Here are some pre-game pics I took and a video of the national anthem:
National anthem

419947_3415801077606_1347461038_3227509_749571296_n.jpg

429799_3415800437590_1347461038_3227507_409978937_n.jpg

420096_3415802917652_34230742_n.jpg

431020_3415803237660_2105459301_n.jpg

423336_3415804277686_1347461038_3227519_15985498_n.jpg

420793_3415804477691_1347461038_3227520_1390574733_n.jpg

427002_3415805797724_1347461038_3227526_1075218290_n.jpg

64628_3415805117707_1347461038_3227522_1802559014_n.jpg

So I'm going to the Toronto Comicon this weekend, and went online to look up some more info. Imagine my surprise when I did a search and ended up on a totally different convention page.
Did you guys know there are going to be two conventions at the MTCC in as many months?

March 10-11
http://www.comicontoronto.com/

April 14-15
http://www.wizardworldcomiccon.com/

This seems rather unnecessary to me.

You wouldn't believe the amount of politics and bad blood surrounding the Toronto comic convention scene. The reason we have so many each year now is there's at least two separate groups putting on multiple conventions trying to sabotage and undermine each other.

Prax

You wouldn't believe the amount of politics and bad blood surrounding the Toronto comic convention scene. The reason we have so many each year now is there's at least two separate groups putting on multiple conventions trying to sabotage and undermine each other.
WizardWorld vs. HobbyStar?
Well, the more the merrier for fans and retailers alike? I hope, anyway.

My friends an I will at least have a table in Artist Alley for the FanExpo at the end of August. :> Give me money, TO Gaffers.

explodet

I can sort of believe it.
Where there's conventions, there's drama.

I might check out the one in April too, for a larf.

Stet

Banned
WizardWorld vs. HobbyStar?
Well, the more the merrier for fans and retailers alike? I hope, anyway.

My friends an I will at least have a table in Artist Alley for the FanExpo at the end of August. :> Give me money, TO Gaffers.

Originally Paradise vs. HobbyStar. Which was a shame, because Paradise was "the little guy" and HobbyStar would have liked nothing more than to run their con out of business.

Anyone else watch footage from the Subway debate in Scarborough with Chong and Stintz?

From what CTV showed it looked like the people in the audience just kept shouting SUBWAYS while Chong and Sue Ann Levy called Stintz names when she explained that taxes and fees would have to go up for them to pay for it

How can a group called the Taxpayers Coalition of Toronto be ok with something that will force taxes up a significant amount?? Its funny seeing conservatives act this way after they criticize those on the left for raising taxes and spending all their money........when they really don't

Anyone else watch footage from the Subway debate in Scarborough with Chong and Stintz?

From what CTV showed it looked like the people in the audience just kept shouting SUBWAYS while Chong and Sue Ann Levy called Stintz names when she explained that taxes and fees would have to go up for them to pay for it

How can a group called the Taxpayers Coalition of Toronto be ok with something that will force taxes up a significant amount?? Its funny seeing conservatives act this way after they criticize those on the left for raising taxes and spending all their money........when they really don't

Let it never be said that ideologies cannot also contain hypocrisies.

Kunohara

The weather today has been nuts. Massive snowflakes one minute, nice and sunny the next. Now it looks like it never snowed at all (near Pearson).

Stephen Harper picks subways over LRT

lol @ people thinking Harper gives a shit about Toronto, if he wants subways he can pay for them

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The prime minister adds when he drives he prefers not to be "running into LRTS and streetcars."
Ultimately, Harper concedes, Toronto's transit plans are up to the city and not the federal government.

End the war on cars, damn it. Right of ways? More like, make me wait in my car for ten seconds longer at a light as a streetcar passes.

I know he was asked a question, but I'm surprised Harper even gave a direct answer. He's had seemingly little connection with Ford since the election

When is the last time Harper actually lived in a gigantic city? Pretty sure he hasn't had much experience driving into above ground transit before

Police are saying Mariam Makhniashvili died of a fall from a significant height and doesn't appear to be a homicide or suspicious death =/

Aren't saying suicide though

Quick

Banned
Police are saying Mariam Makhniashvili died of a fall from a significant height and doesn't appear to be a homicide or suspicious death =/

Aren't saying suicide though

Just saw this on CP24. I'm no expert and I've never really followed her story in detail, but I'm thinking suicide. :(

Top Bottom