• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Speaking of TTC.. missed this yesterday somehow.

The Toronto Transit Commission board will be dissolved Monday

The Toronto Transit Commission board will be dissolved Monday and a new board will be set up in its place, according to current chair Karen Stintz.

Stintz said Friday that was seen as the best way to get a new board up and running quickly.

“We felt the cleanest thing to do was dissolve the entire commission,” she said. “My concern was new members wouldn’t get on until June and that wouldn’t give the TTC the stability it needs.”

Proposed changes to the makeup of the commission could alter the course of the city’s transit future and restore control of the hot potato file to Mayor Rob Ford.

Ford, meanwhile, went on AM 640 radio Friday night to say the nine councillors on the commission, including Stintz, should not put their names forward to serve on the new commission.

“If she’s going to change some of it, then I suggest we change everyone,” Ford said. “Everybody gets removed, including her as chair, the vice-chair and all the councillors, including the ones that support subways. If we’re going to start off with a new group, then let’s start from scratch.”

Stintz said she’s proposing a new board of seven councillors and four citizens, while the Ford administration had suggested six councillors and five citizens. The chair would be a councillor.

The current commission is made up of nine councillors, although the TTC has had citizen commissioners in the past.

Council would be asked to approve the new composition and pick the seven councillors on Monday, she said. The citizen members would be added in June.

Stintz’s plan came as news to Councillor Frank Di Giorgio, one of the five commissioners who voted to fire chief general manager Gary Webster for favouring LRTs while Ford backs subways.

Di Giorgio said it’s likely Stintz has the votes to replace the five Ford loyalists, who he said all want to continue serving on the commission.

The city could end up with an LRT-oriented commission that’s at odds with Ford’s ambition to build subways.

“I suspect she’s probably got her votes lined up,” Di Giorgio said. “It may turn out to be a coup.”

Stintz, however, said she wants a voting process whereby councillors can nominate themselves or others to go on the commission and council will vote on each candidate.

“There won’t be a slate,” she said. “Anybody can be nominated or put themselves forward.”

Stintz said long, drawn-out debate shouldn’t be necessary.

“It doesn’t need to be painful. And the outcome is that it will reflect the will of council.”

She also said she expects the politicians on the board — including five Ford loyalists who engineered the firing of TTC chief general manager Gary Webster last month — would remain until June, when the players could potentially change.

But if the mayor wins a key transit vote in the meantime, those same councillors would retain control of the transit agenda.

Council is expected to decide on March 21 whether to proceed with Ford’s subway dream for Sheppard Ave. E. or an above-ground LRT.

Whether it’s nine or 11 members, the commission should be dominated by councillors and it should have a politician as chair, agreed city councillor James Pasternak, who said he supports the subway.

“The chair should never be a civilian. You have to have electoral accountability if you’re charting the third-largest transit system in North America,” he said. “To have a civilian in that position, I think that’s a high-risk strategy.”

Pasternak is vice-chair of the civic appointments committee, which met Friday morning to begin strategizing on how to vet the dozens of applications it expects from private citizens who want a place on the commission.

Given the highly charged political atmosphere around the transit file, the appointment process is expected to come under severe scrutiny.

Pasternak said there is talk of using an outside recruiter and a longer interview process than the typical 15 minutes that most city committee and board appointments receive.

“Those are the people who are going to chart the course of the next few years,” said Pasternak. “We need transit visionaries.”

Although he hasn’t heard any city councillors disagree with the notion of private citizens on the TTC, support isn’t unanimous, said current TTC commissioner Maria Augimeri.

“For full accountability, you must have politicians,” she said.

Pasternak said he was skeptical that the new private board members could be selected by June.

Meanwhile, councillors being wooed by Ford to support the Sheppard subway extension are telling him to look beyond Scarborough, especially if new city-wide fees or taxes are on the table.

In a recent meeting with Ford, centrist councillors Mary-Margaret McMahon and Ana Bailão pushed construction of a “downtown relief line” connecting the Yonge and Bloor lines. McMahon also pitched rapid transit to serve communities springing up on the eastern downtown waterfront.

“If we can find the funding pot of gold, a combination of road tolls and parking levies or whatever to build transit in Toronto, let’s spread the love,” said McMahon (Ward 32, Beaches-East York).

Bailão (Ward 18, Davenport) wants to see a “realistic business plan” for a Sheppard subway at a March 21 special council meeting, and long-term solutions including the relief line to ease chronic overcrowding.

Ford showed no enthusiasm but “didn’t say no,” McMahon noted.

Long article. Will be interesting to see the vote come down and what the musical chairs look like.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So, anyone could conceivably apply to one of the civilian positions? I should check that out, would love to do some trolling.

I'm off to New York today for a few weeks. Be good while I'm gone!

Toronto photo of the day:

vDpP6.jpg

if you like this image then here is a wallpaper sized version.

The TTC needs to get Presto

The TTC needs to get Presto.

The TTC needs to get the Eglinton line in.

The TTC needs to get the Finch line in.

The TTC needs to figure out what Sheppard is going to be.

The TTC needs a Downtown Relief Line.

The TTC needs to figure out how to service the east waterfront, which is going to have massive development that was designed around a proposed LRT.

The TTC needs a new North/South LRT... somewhere.

The TTC needs a lot of things, but the TTC just spends most of its time arguing with the city and province.

Black-Box

The TTC needs to get Presto.

The TTC needs to get the Eglinton line in.

The TTC needs to get the Finch line in.

The TTC needs to figure out what Sheppard is going to be.

The TTC needs a Downtown Relief Line.

The TTC needs to figure out how to service the east waterfront, which is going to have massive development that was designed around a proposed LRT.

The TTC needs a new North/South LRT... somewhere.

The TTC needs a lot of things, but the TTC just spends most of its time arguing with the city and province.

but with Presto, I could travel from Burlington to Toronto, with only 1 card, It may boost the amount of people who uses the buses. I would travel to TO all the time if they had presto...I did hear they were in talks.

but WOW, how does the TTC get so bad, sorry I don't go to TO often, never used the TTC before.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
but with Presto, I could travel from Burlington to Toronto, with only 1 card, It may boost the amount of people who uses the buses. I would travel to TO all the time if they had presto...I did hear they were in talks.

but WOW, how does the TTC get so bad, sorry I don't go to TO often, never used the TTC before.

You're lucky. There are some TTC defenders here, but I've lived in and gone to other cities (that are significantly bigger) that were better run.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
Thanks, Added_time. That's beautiful.

This damn 100kph wind kept me up all night, and now I'm tired as hell as I work on my game demo for GDC. I fly out early (EARLY) Monday morning; anyone else?

I didn't even know that about the TTC change. Holy hell, our transit commission is worse than parliament during an inter-party spat. I think it's been months and months since the TTC actually did anything.

Don't get decapitated by flying garbage lids out there, folks.

Divvy

The TTC doesn't have a problem with ridership. In fact one of the reasons they aren't in a rush to implement Presto and why they keep raising prices is because they don't want more people riding it. They need to expand the capacity of the system before they can get more people to come. It's a sad, sad situation.

I used to live in Oakville, so I understand the desire to have Presto integrated.

Anyway, how'd the TTC get so bad? Four main reasons:

1) Severe lack of funding. The TTC gets the vast majority of its money from the cash box. Every other major transit system in North America gets proper funding from the government.

2) Every administration that comes in ditches the previous administration's plans. The goes for City Hall and Queen's Park. Therefore, few plans ever go forward.

3) The TTC is essentially run by engineers. They're more concerned with keeping things running than actually expanding. Also, there's an insidious amount of red tape and bureaucracy to deal with. Tasks that should take 2 people one week take 5 people four weeks.

4) The Union. They. Resist. EVERYTHING.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I used to live in Oakville, so I understand the desire to have Presto integrated.

1) Severe lack of funding. The TTC gets the vast majority of its money from the cash box. Every other major transit system in North America gets proper funding from the government.

2) Every administration that comes in ditches the previous administration's plans. The goes for City Hall and Queen's Park. Therefore, few plans ever go forward.

3) The TTC is essentially run by engineers. They're more concerned with keeping things running than actually expanding. Also, there's an insidious amount of red tape and bureaucracy to deal with. Tasks that should take 2 people one week take 5 people four weeks.

4) The Union. They. STRIKE. OVER EVERYTHING.

Fixed.

They need to review how much and where their money is going. I have a friend who works for the TTC. When he first started, he had 3 freaking raises in one fucking year. One of them was 'proactive' raise that gave him more money on top of what he had already been paid.

I've also never gotten the impression the union deals in good faith. They claim the city is responsible for the strikes and holding the people hostage, but there's no reason to not continue negotiating while still working. I'm also not sure if the city has every taken anything away from them either; they're always pissed that the raises 'aren't enough'.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Looks like the YUS line is closed today. Flooding at Union. Yonge St was packed with people trying to board shuttle buses.

jNkF8.jpg

Well now they can't strike so we'll see what kind of arbitrated settlements they get

Well, if projections were correct and based off other unions put in this situation, the arbitration won't favor the city.

whitehawk

Banned
Looks like the YUS line is closed today. Flooding at Union. Yonge St was packed with people trying to board shuttle buses.

jNkF8.jpg

Well, if projections were correct and based off other unions put in this situation, the arbitration won't favor the city.
What the fuck. That can't be good...

Stet

Banned

jNkF8.jpg

Uhh that looks like it'll take ages to fix.

Black-Box

4) The Union. They. Resist. EVERYTHING.

I live in Oakville too, Oakville gives you discounts, so like the more time you use presto, the cheaper it gets till you don't pay anything. which is great because all the money you saved will be used next month. and you get good discounts on Go bus, like really good discounts.
and wow, I didn't know that.
The TTC doesn't have a problem with ridership. In fact one of the reasons they aren't in a rush to implement Presto and why they keep raising prices is because they don't want more people riding it. They need to expand the capacity of the system before they can get more people to come. It's a sad, sad situation.

so sad, I also wondered why TTC buses don't look like the Mississauga buses that are the very long ones, can't think of the name. most of the TTC buses I ever see look smaller than average buses

Divvy

so sad, I also wondered why TTC buses don't look like the Mississauga buses that are the very long ones, can't think of the name. most of the TTC buses I ever see look smaller than average buses

Those new Mississauga buses were supposed to be TTC buses. The order was paid for by the TTC until it was cancelled for some reason, and then Mississauga swooped in and got them at a discount.

Pretty funny, and sad.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Seems I missed a lot while I was gone.

Heard about the ridiculous wind. Odd that I didn't experience any while in the Windy city.

And got the nice surprise of the flood at Union when I landed from Billy Bishop. I said eff it and took a ridiculous cab ride fare back up to the suburbs. :(

Quick

Banned
Anyone wanna give me a job? :(

Either I'm looking at jobs the wrong way, or there's nothing available. I'm looking to GTFO from retail.

Black-Box

Those new Mississauga buses were supposed to be TTC buses. The order was paid for by the TTC until it was cancelled for some reason, and then Mississauga swooped in and got them at a discount.

Pretty funny, and sad.

wow that is sad, I feel like everyone is getting better buses, except Toronto

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Viewing an apartment on Roncesvalles this Tuesday. A bit smaller than what we have right now, but inclusive and barely more than we pay now. But living on Roncy would be a vast improvement in terms of being able to walk to 'stuff'.

My wife and I always look at apartments throughout the year, even though we are happy with ours and have been here for five years. It's good entertainment and if we find a nice place, all the better. Sadly, the last few apartments we've seen have been terribad.

Hieberrr

I can't speak for Ronces apartments themselves, but I used to go to school in that area + lived near there. It is a great area to live in *thumbs up*!

And looking at the blogto flag blog post: There are so many flags that would have been better than the current one. I fucking hate our flag :|

Divvy

So did anyone see that episode of Undercover Bosses with Karen Stintz and the TTC? Pretty entertaining.

Divvy

Council in session for today.. starting... now.

As always, Rogers has a live stream, and 680 news will probably have one up as well.

http://www.rogerstv.com/page.aspx?sid=1030&rid=16&lid=237&lve=29928

You know what's fucking sad?

That Stintz has to thank Ford for "listening to ideas with an open mind" like it isn't his fucking job.

EDIT: Hahahaha Mammoliti is so angry

EDIT: Hahahahahahaha What a bunch of clowns

EDIT: Mammoliti keeps talking about ramming things down people's throats

Brinbe

Just a re-post of what I wrote in the Canadian gaming deals thread for my Toronto peeps.

Not sure if already posted, but HMV currently has a great clearance sale going on at the moment with Games/Accessories up to 75% and consoles 30%.

Was able to pick up

Wii Classic Controller Pro
360 Quick Charge Kit
PS3 Nav controller
2 Move Controllers
PSEye

all for about 70 bucks at the Y&B HMV, all 75% off. Missed out on the Move Bundle I wanted, but still not bad. Will probably go back for games later.

They still had a few 360/PS3 accessories left at that location, and quite a lot of games left. Also checked at at the Eaton Centre location, and they were pretty much cleared out of accessories already, but also had tons of games left as well.

I read that the First Canadian Place location at King/Bay is also in on this too, but I haven't checked personally to see what they had left.

I know this deal has been posted on RFD/CAG for a few days, so better act fast haha. Hope y'all can find some good deals in your cities.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
d5K6e.png

By the way guys, in the Meetup thread, it's 'been decided' the meetup will be at the Ballroom at Richmond and John. Easy access via Osgoode Station, the 501 and 504 streetcar, and thus, Union Station for those coming via GO. Menu is available on the site, mostly pub food. Kinect setup, ping pong, pool, table hockey, bowling. The 9th is being discussed for the meetup (this coming Friday). Chime in via the Meetup thread if you plan to attend, or if something doesn't work for you.

Just a re-post of what I wrote in the Canadian gaming deals thread for my Toronto peeps.

I imagine most of the HMV locations have been cleared out by now by RFD and CAGers. Dundas Square location hadn't marked their stuff down at 3pm on Saturday, so I didn't get anything. :(

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
d5K6e.png

By the way guys, in the Meetup thread, it's 'been decided' the meetup will be at the Ballroom at Richmond and John. Easy access via Osgoode Station, the 501 and 504 streetcar, and thus, Union Station for those coming via GO. Menu is available on the site, mostly pub food. Kinect setup, ping pong, pool, table hockey, bowling. The 9th is being discussed for the meetup (this coming Friday). Chime in via the Meetup thread if you plan to attend, or if something doesn't work for you.

I imagine most of the HMV locations have been cleared out by now by RFD and CAGers. Dundas Square location hadn't marked their stuff down at 3pm on Saturday, so I didn't get anything. :(

I still feel bad about putting my tiny foot down there. We were all being so wishy washy, someone needed to at least get something agreed upon. :(

Brinbe

d5K6e.png

Yeah, I was pretty surprised that I was able to even get what I did. Ah well, if anyone's around one, it wouldn't hurt to check, if only for the deals on games, they had a surprisingly decent selection.

And I'd def be down for the 9th and perhaps later Fridays, if that's what we decide. I'll post it in that thread.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
THE PTA HAS BEEN DISBANDED *JUMPS OUT WINDOW*

I mean the TTC board

Well, it's a matter of who's on the new board now. *gulp*

And bumping for the new page.

Toronto-Age Meetup

d5K6e.png

By the way guys, in the Meetup thread, it's 'been decided' the meetup will be at the Ballroom at Richmond and John. Easy access via Osgoode Station, the 501 and 504 streetcar, and thus, Union Station for those coming via GO. Menu is available on the site, mostly pub food. Kinect setup, ping pong, pool, table hockey, bowling. The 9th is being discussed for the meetup (this coming Friday). Chime in via the Meetup thread if you plan to attend, or if something doesn't work for you.[/IMG]

Top Bottom