• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Just saw this on CP24. I'm no expert and I've never really followed her story in detail, but I'm thinking suicide. :(

She went missing
Police and her family searched and couldn't find her
Months later her father was arrested for stabbing someone and is currently in jail
There were allusions to her father having a really bad temper

I'd speculate his personality drove her to run away and she ended up jumping =/

Stet

Banned
End the war on cars, damn it. Right of ways? More like, make me wait in my car for ten seconds longer at a light as a streetcar passes.

I know he was asked a question, but I'm surprised Harper even gave a direct answer. He's had seemingly little connection with Ford since the election

He was at a barbeque at Ford's house in the fall :(

Police are saying Mariam Makhniashvili died of a fall from a significant height and doesn't appear to be a homicide or suspicious death =/

Aren't saying suicide though

Such a sad ending to all this. That poor mother and son. I know the dad had a temper and a few mental problems even before she went missing but losing my daughter and everyone speculating I had something to do with it would have probably pushed me over the edge too. Well, his anger issues at home still could have made her run away and kill herself too. So, not saying he has no blame in this but we'll never know. This is just really sad for everyone involved. What did she jump off of? A highway overpass or something? Not familiar with that particular area her body was found.

When is the last time Harper actually lived in a gigantic city? Pretty sure he hasn't had much experience driving into above ground transit before

Harper is the Member of Parliament for Calgary North.

Calgary has a very effective LRT system.

Anyway, just like everyone else, Harper wants subways, but he doesn't want to pay for them.

The thing is the LRT has become a very valuable wedge issue for the Conservatives. They're hoping to play it into the next election on all levels. Harper's just adding fuel to the fire for his buddies, just as Hudak did the other day.

So at this point it has absolutely nothing to do with what's best for the city and everything do to with making voters angry and getting Conservatives elected. Then, as soon as Conservatives are elected, the money for it will disappear completely.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The thing is the LRT has become a very valuable wedge issue for the Conservatives. They're hoping to play it into the next election on all levels. Harper's just adding fuel to the fire for his buddies.

So at this point it has absolutely nothing to do with what's best for the city and everything do to with making voters angry and getting Conservatives elected.

Well, election time is still two and a half years away. I don't think they can keep up this whining til then though.

Well, election time is still two and a half years away. I don't think they can keep up this whining til then though.

Oh, I think they can. They'll whine at every new development. Just wait till shovels go into the ground in Scarborough for LRT construction, they'll be there for the photo op, yelling "people want subways!" and "war on the car!"

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Oh, I think they can. They'll whine at every new development. Just wait till shovels go into the ground in Scarborough for LRT construction, they'll be there for the photo op, yelling "people want subways!" and "war on the car!"

Well I meant more of that the public would get tired of them whining before then.

And its up to the other parties to keep asking them how they would pay for subways without raising taxes

And if the LRTs are up and running successfully by the next election people won't care

And its up to the other parties to keep asking them how they would pay for subways without raising taxes

And if the LRTs are up and running successfully by the next election people won't care

1) The "how are you going to pay for them" question rolls off everyone's back like water off a duck. No one has a tangible answer, but no one seems to care.

2) LRTs up and running in the next two and a half years? Nope. In another city I'd give it four years, in this city I'd give it six.

1) The "how are you going to pay for them" question rolls off everyone's back like water off a duck. No one has a tangible answer, but no one seems to care.

Wait, what? "How are we going to pay for it" is the first question out of anyone's mouth who isn't hired to be in the audience when a Ford brother yells "SUBWAY!"

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Don't worry, we'll be back to 15 degrees above seasonal in no time.

:(

Winter's last breath?

MARo3.png

This whole Subways in Scarborough thing is driving me nuts. A very, very vocal group has been convinced that they need and deserve subways, and they're never, ever going to shut up about it. Of course, it doesn't help that it's now become a political wedge issue and funding is probably now pouring in to keep the noise cranked up. (With the Sun as the three ring circus ringmaster, as usual.)

This is fucking lunacy, and nothing is ever, EVER going to be accomplished in this city for stupid reasons exactly like this.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
This whole Subways in Scarborough thing is driving me nuts. A very, very vocal group has been convinced that they need and deserve subways, and they're never, ever going to shut up about it. Of course, it doesn't help that it's now become a political wedge issue and funding is probably now pouring in to keep the noise cranked up. (With the Sun as the three ring circus ringmaster, as usual.)

This is fucking lunacy, and nothing is ever, EVER going to be accomplished in this city for stupid reasons exactly like this.

The issue in Toronto is that the subway cars are larger, thus requirin doubled tunnels. In Montréal, there's only one tunnel needed and the city opted for longer trains. Thus building metro extensions here is cheaper than building underground LRT.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I hate humid summers.

That yucky, sticky feeling. Oh god...just thinking about it...oh god...

I hate and love it. I'll be the first one bitching when it happens but deep down I just love that it's so hot.

Especially when playing baseball through the summer, feels good man.

Zzoram

Ya as a lifelong Ontarion I'm definitely noticing global warming. Winters have been so short and there has been barely any snow in recent years.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Dry heat around 35-40c so good. Humid heat around 25-30c so terrible. Sadly, we mostly get the later.

Ya as a lifelong Ontarion I'm definitely noticing global warming. Winters have been so short and there has been barely any snow in recent years.

Well, we're not too far removed from 2008 where we set a record for snowfall in a year.

Brinbe

Yep, we definitely had an incredibly mild winter this year. Thank God. Glad for great temps today/this week though. Hopefully, that's it sticks around.

whitehawk

Banned
I've lived in Toronto for 20 years, and I just rode the blue line (RT) for the first time yesterday. It was weird. It's small, old and has terrible insulation. There was a terrible draft for the whole ride.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
cold 9 months out the year and people complain about humidity, tsk tsk tsk.

I'll take mid-December to beginning of April cold a thousand times over July and August heat. Of course, you think we have 'cold' weather for 9 months of the year, so I might not be talking to someone who will care. :p

Quick

Banned
Yep, we definitely had an incredibly mild winter this year. Thank God. Glad for great temps today/this week though. Hopefully, that's it sticks around.

Walked my dog today, and this weather is amazing. I wish we had this all the time.

Rinoa

I'll take mid-December to beginning of April cold a thousand times over July and August heat. Of course, you think we have 'cold' weather for 9 months of the year, so I might not be talking to someone who will care. :p

I'll take the heat.

many cheap pretty summer clothes & shoes > few expensive pretty winter clothes & shoes

I've lived in Toronto for 20 years, and I just rode the blue line (RT) for the first time yesterday. It was weird. It's small, old and has terrible insulation. There was a terrible draft for the whole ride.

Ya, it's a strange little line, like Scarborough's own little secret. I thought it was very odd when I first saw it, but I'm used to it now. The cars on it were essentially "prototypes". There's a long story about why it is like it is, but you can look it up on Wikipedia.

As part of the LRT plan they're gonna retrofit the whole thing with new, better LRT cars.

Azih

Ya, it's a strange little line, like Scarborough's own little secret. I thought it was very odd when I first saw it, but I'm used to it now. The cars on it were essentially "prototypes". There's a long story about why it is like it is, but you can look it up on Wikipedia.

As part of the LRT plan they're gonna retrofit the whole thing with new, better LRT cars.

That's not a SUBWAY!

Maybe they should retrofit the RT first to take away at least some of the absurd fearmongering about LRT trains.

Well, we're not too far removed from 2008 where we set a record for snowfall in a year
I think the climate change moniker is more accurate. You just cannot predict what a season is going to be like anymore.

Maybe they should retrofit the RT first to take away at least some of the absurd fearmongering about LRT trains.

The redone RT is going to connect into the LRT system. They need to remove and replace all the tracks, add in overhead wires, and redo the platforms of all the stations to accommodate low-floor vehicles.

That's not something they can do quickly at all.

Beez

Banned
I'm looking forward to a nice hot summer. My dad fires up the BBQ, has some beers and we have a really great time. I hope it's as hot as possible.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

I take the bus wherever I want to go and avoid the RT. It smells like diapers.

http://www.thestar.com/iphone/news/...to-get-mayor-rob-ford-ousted-from-office?bn=1

An application to remove Mayor Rob Ford from office and ban him from running in the next election has been filed in Superior Court.

The proceedings are being headed by respected constitutional lawyer Clayton Ruby, who is alleging that Ford breached the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act at a council meeting last month by speaking on an item that personally benefited him financially.

Can't think of a better way to start the week.

I'm looking forward to a nice hot summer. My dad fires up the BBQ, has some beers and we have a really great time. I hope it's as hot as possible.

Same here budd. Love the heat. Will only be a short time until everyone is complaining they can't wait till winter again. So many complainers in this city. Too hot, too cold, too much snow, not enough snow (white Christmas folk), more rain, less rain. Never happy.

Roto13

Same here budd. Love the heat. Will only be a short time until everyone is complaining they can't wait till winter again. So many complainers in this city. Too hot, too cold, too much snow, not enough snow (white Christmas folk), more rain, less rain. Never happy.

There's no such thing as too cold. And no such thing as too much rain unless it's like Vancouver where it's nonstop for nine months out of the year.

Anyone who is happy with 40 degrees plus 90% humidity needs to have their head examined.

Top Bottom