• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Quick

Banned
CP24 brought it up, and he didn't do it this week because City Hall was closed yesterday, and he's doing it next week.

Hieberrr

What was that section of lakeshore that was recently renovated? I could have sworn something was posted here near the end of 2011.

Gah, it's diving me nuts!

EDIT:Found it! http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/sherbourne_common

c4383b774c3f9945876792f03ffe.jpeg

Quadratic

I'm taking a friend out for sushi for his birthday and I was wondering if anyone can recommend an omikaze for around 50-80 per person. I've been to Kaji 3 times and I would like to try a new place. I was thinking about Kaiseki at the Japanese cultural centre but it's really expensive. I heard good things about Le Cafe Michi, worth the trek to Sheppard and Pahramcy (Scarborough) for?

Hieberrr

I'm taking a friend out for sushi for his birthday and I was wondering if anyone can recommend an omikaze for around 50-80 per person. I've been to Kaji 3 times and I would like to try a new place. I was thinking about Kaiseki at the Japanese cultural centre but it's really expensive. I heard good things about Le Cafe Michi, worth the trek to Sheppard and Pahramcy (Scarborough) for?

I don't know what an omikaze is, but if you're looking for some good sushi and is awesomely priced: Sushi On Bloor. They are always packed, but if you make reservations, you're golden.

Their Sushi Salad Rolls (cucumber on the outside and some other stuff in the inside) is to die for. Its so refreshing... oh god, I'm drooling.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
By the way, the bank machine finally gave me a new $50 today. It's really weird being able to see through part of the bill, and it's so light feeling it comes across as frail.

Silver Snail's new location is great!
http://torontoist.com/2012/04/silver-snail-gets-a-new-home/

Gobo Sushi at Christie/Dupont may be able to take reservations as well, same pricing as Bloor Sushi but not as big/crowded. What about Izakaya?
http://www.torontolife.com/daily/da...y-dish/2012/02/01/introducing-dondon-izakaya/

Great location for Silver Snail. I wouldn't have minded the Annex either, but I walk up and down Yonge between Bloor and Queen a lot more. A bunch of comic and game shops in both places now.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
By the way, the bank machine finally gave me a new $50 today. It's really weird being able to see through part of the bill, and it's so light feeling it comes across as frail.
I got one in January and I hate them. I don't put cash in my wallet because I just use a money fold (no clip) and the new bills are a pain to fold.

Quadratic

Thanks for the suggestions for Japanese.

Omikaze is basically a "tasting" menu. The chef decides what courses are served and the sushi is made moments before you consume it. Kaji is 80-120 per head and Hashimoto is like 300 per head. I looked around and Omi on Carlton/ Parliament does a omikaze menu for $65.

I like Sushi on Bloor but it's way too busy and more of a guilty pleasure. Izakaya style dining is way too loud. However I do really want to try Don Don one day. Guu is one of my favourite drinking spots.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

mikado

http://www.mikadorestaurant.ca/

It's not freakin kaji sushi quality...that's supposedly the top place in Ontario :p, but I will swear by this place.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Name that Councillor.

“The people here were duly elected. My advice to the taxpayer would be: ‘Don’t send us any more activists, don’t send us any more unionists, don’t send us any more cyclists. Send us some people down here with good common sense who just want to manage the city’s affairs.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
aZKmu.jpg

Looking across Grenadier Pond and High Park to downtown. St Joseph's is the building he you make out just over the grass.

And the other side from High Park.

pond.jpg

And the cherry blossoms are still out. I recommend going early (like 6am early) if you want to avoid the gigantic crowds that always show up, even on the weekdays.

DSC02720.JPG

Dyno

Look at this fucking troll. Deputy Mayor can't even keep his teeth white. Also his buddy the Mayor threw his back out TOSSING CANDIES. That's who we need running our city, that's who we all should vote for, people whose bodies are so worthless and polluted that they injure themselves performing light charity work.

It is nothing but a sick fucking joke.

Sonki.

Banned
I need some help guys. I need to print of like 2 pieces of paper. Where can I do this downtown? I don't know why Google is failing me. Could be because I suck.

WHERE CAN I DO THIS FOR CHEAP IN THE DOWNTOWN AREA??!

whitehawk

Banned
I need some help guys. I need to print of like 2 pieces of paper. Where can I do this downtown? I don't know why Google is failing me. Could be because I suck.

WHERE CAN I DO THIS FOR CHEAP IN THE DOWNTOWN AREA??!
There's a place just west of spadina and bloor I believe. I can't remember the name but I went with a friend there a few years ago because she had to print some things. Do some googling in that are to make sure it's still there.

Quadratic

Are you printing out text or colour images? I would suggest the Toronto Public Library if you can find a branch close to you. It's 15 cents per page.

Kinkos?

Downtown is a big area, not sure what advice I can give you unless you narrow down an intersection.

Dyno

Yeah, give us a street corner. If you're in the Ryerson area they have a print shop on Gould and Dalhousie just south of the Metro supermarket.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Not sure if thread worthy, it applies to Ontario!

Ontario bill targets cellphone contracts and prices

Ontario is hanging up on “price gouging” by mobile phone companies with legislation that would cap the costs of cancelling service, provide up-front pricing details and plain-language contracts.

The law from Consumer Minister Margarett Best incorporates two previous private member’s bills by Liberal MPP David Orazietti in an effort to ease “cell shock” when customers open their invoices.

But it does not address concerns about voice, data and texting costs because they are regulated federally, Orazietti (Sault Ste. Marie) told reporters Thursday, urging Ottawa to open the industry to more competition that could lower prices.

“Canadians are paying the highest cellphone prices out of 11 countries in a recent survey,” said Orazietti, whose two previous attempts to get his legislation approved had all-party support.

Best said beefs about cellphone bills are among the top 10 complaints received by her ministry.

“This is a pocketbook issue consumers want addressed,” said Orazietti. “Bill shock is a common problem.”

But costs of complying with the legislation “could see costs rise for consumers,” warned Marc Choma of the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association, a group representing major players in the cellphone industry dominated by Bell, Rogers and Telus.

The bill, however, was applauded by WIND Mobile as “what is needed to keep the traditional wireless carriers from abusing their market power,” said chief executive Anthony Lacavera.

“We need to remove the barriers that prevent consumers from taking advantage of increased choice and better value.”

If passed by the Legislature under the minority Liberal government — which is now casting for NDP support of its budget to avoid a late May election — the law would cap “exhorbitant” cancellation fees for fixed-term phone contracts at $50.

Some carriers have charged as much as $400 to $600 for cancellations.

Better consumer protection on cancellations is long overdue, said Michael Janigan, of the Public Interest Advocacy Centre.

“We want a thriving rivalry in the wireless market, not one where customers are locked into plans and contracts that no longer serve their needs.”

Contracts would also have to be written in plain language so consumers can understand them more easily and would have to spell out clearly which services are covered by the basic fee and which are extra.

The legislation would also require customers be notified when they are about to go above their voice, data and testing limits, incurring extra charges.

Choma said the bill — similar to legislation in Quebec and Manitoba — could put Ontario cellphone users at a disadvantage “through the addition of expensive government bureaucracy that could possibly interfere with the price, choice and level of services.”

Orazietti countered that the enforcement of the bill will come at minimal or no cost to the government.

The association said it would prefer the federal government set national standards “if further consumer protection measures are deemed necessary.”

But whether the legislation will be passed remains unclear.

Ministry officials said the bill will be introduced within two weeks, while the Legislature is tied up in debate on the budget with a final vote by April 25.

If the fiscal blueprint is defeated, forcing an election, the cellphone bill would die.

“It’s kind of passing strange, this timing,” said Progressive Conservative MPP Peter Shurman (Thornhill), adding the Tories “cautiously support” the legislation to help consumers but need to see details.

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath said her party is also eager to see the proposed legislation.

“Anything that helps with the affordability of everyday life we’re interested in looking at.”

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
People who get smartphones with data pretty much have to. The subsidy makes smartphones affordable, and if you were going to get a data plan anyways, might as well take the subsidy.

Indeed, there are few options. We didn't even have a smart phone until last year, when we picked up a Nexus with WIND. We're month to month with no contract. While I could probably save a small amount by playing the retention game with Rogers, or others, I would hate myself and I would be on contract. So fuck contracts. I could live a life time without smart phones if I had to sign up for contracts.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Hopefully this passes. I've been riding out a telus bill for a year because they wanted $800 for me to cancel. Fuck that.

Wouldn't it pass pretty easily? I don't see the NDP voting against it.

And yeah, fuck contracts. Been with wind for almost two years and have been pretty happy.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Oh God. Zombie Roto.

edit: I just saw your new post in the Nintendo Downloads thread. Stop trying to get yourself banned again. >:|

People who get smartphones with data pretty much have to. The subsidy makes smartphones affordable, and if you were going to get a data plan anyways, might as well take the subsidy.

I'm lucky I guess
On the Wind All in the Family 2011 plan and bought a Nexus for 425 to replace my BB 9700 which I used with Wind for over 2 years before it started getting annoying

Video Games Plus has such a weird website. I ordered this 20$ PSN Card off it and it says that instead of just shipping me it, they'll email me the code. That was on Monday and my order status says: "shipped" since 2 days ago. What does that even mean? They didn't charge me for shipping either, so are they actually shipping it or just lazy emailers? If I knew that it would take 5 days, I'd have just gone to a store and picked one up.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Video Games Plus has such a weird website. I ordered this 20$ PSN Card off it and it says that instead of just shipping me it, they'll email me the code. That was on Monday and my order status says: "shipped" since 2 days ago. What does that even mean? They didn't charge me for shipping either, so are they actually shipping it or just lazy emailers? If I knew that it would take 5 days, I'd have just gone to a store and picked one up.

Maybe e-mail them? I know people love Video Games Plus, but I have never dealt with them myself.

Just an FYI for any gamers in here that live in the High Park area. A new store called "Games Mania" is opening up at Bloor/Keele, about 4 units east of the southeast corner.

I just walked by 5 mins ago and there's a bunch of dudes setting up some shitty looking shelves.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just an FYI for any gamers in here that live in the High Park area. A new store called "Games Mania" is opening up at Bloor/Keele, about 4 units east of the southeast corner.

I just walked by 5 mins ago and there's a bunch of dudes setting up some shitty looking shelves.

Oh God. More game stores on the west end. Game Centre has a new store at St Clair and Dufferin and now this. I hope they're actually decent. I'll drop by soon and take some photos. Thanks for the heads up!

Oh God. More game stores on the west end. Game Centre has a new store at St Clair and Dufferin and now this. I hope they're actually decent. I'll drop by soon and take some photos. Thanks for the heads up!

np.

Have you ever been to Xtreme Games Interactive close to Dundas/Dufferin? I'm pretty sure it's some sort of front since I never see anyone shopping in there and they've stuck around for a few years. They're usually decently stocked and decently priced but extremely rude and dismissive.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
np.

Have you ever been to Xtreme Games Interactive close to Dundas/Dufferin? I'm pretty sure it's some sort of front since I never see anyone shopping in there and they've stuck around for a few years. They're usually decently stocked and decently priced but extremely rude and dismissive.

I haven't been by in years, but I remember they having an impressive collection of older generation titles, but the prices seemed a bit high on some. I'm not usually around the area, so I don't just happen to drop by. Now that you've reminded me, I guess I should check it out once more.

Speaking of rude and dismissive, that's my experience with Gamerama (Yonge and Eglinton). Another shop with a pretty good selection of older generation titles, but the kids they hire to run the place (and maybe own it?) don't care about customers, leave pizza boxes laying all over the place, and won't even look up from their computer when you walk in.

Of course, nothing beats B. Zone Video Games on Yonge, north of Wellesley. They have terrible stock, horrible prices, and their owner threatens people that give them bad reviews on sites like Yelp.

Best stores are Game Centre (Yonge and Charles location), A&C Games (even if a little expensive, their selection is impressive), and Game Shack at the Atrium (Yonge and Dundas). Game Shack actually has some really competitive prices on used stuff now, where they didn't at one point.

I haven't been by in years, but I remember they having an impressive collection of older generation titles, but the prices seemed a bit high on some. I'm not usually around the area, so I don't just happen to drop by. Now that you've reminded me, I guess I should check it out once more.

Speaking of rude and dismissive, that's my experience with Gamerama (Yonge and Eglinton). Another shop with a pretty good selection of older generation titles, but the kids they hire to run the place (and maybe own it?) don't care about customers, leave pizza boxes laying all over the place, and won't even look up from their computer when you walk in.

Of course, nothing beats B. Zone Video Games on Yonge, north of Wellesley. They have terrible stock, horrible prices, and their owner threatens people that give them bad reviews on sites like Yelp.

Best stores are Game Centre (Yonge and Charles location), A&C Games (even if a little expensive, their selection is impressive), and Game Shack at the Atrium (Yonge and Dundas). Game Shack actually has some really competitive prices on used stuff now, where they didn't at one point.

Yeah, I try to shop at Game Center whenever possible since their used prices are really, really good but I rarely go east of Spadina unless I really need something.

whitehawk

Banned
I was walking down Yonge from bloor station recently and realized there is another game store there. Checked it out and it was the biggest piece of crap I have seen. Ugly interior, and they mostly stock last-gen games. Don't know how they are in business. Game Centre all the way.

Kraftwerk

Me and Quadratic are meeting up tonight at the TIFF to watch Nausicaa by Miyazak/Ghiblii, subbed .

It starts at 6:30 so we will meet at the theater around 6.

Might go for a drink after.

Roto13

I was walking down Yonge from bloor station recently and realized there is another game store there. Checked it out and it was the biggest piece of crap I have seen. Ugly interior, and they mostly stock last-gen games. Don't know how they are in business. Game Centre all the way.

Selling drugs.

cbox

Yeah I pass by every day, haven't gone in , no desire to - place looks like a shit hole lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

That's B. Zone Video Games I was talking about.

And it's been discussed a few times before, with Roto's experience being the most notable.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33190240&postcount=3969

Rinoa

That's B. Zone Video Games I was talking about.

And it's been discussed a few times before, with Roto's experience being the most notable.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33190240&postcount=3969

What a shady ass store, it must be a front of some kind. Someone needs to track down that "Daniel Z" tool.

That's not even his real photo on yelp
ss.jpg

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/b-zone-games-toronto

http://menshair.about.com/od/picturegalleries/ig/Short-Styles/
loser took a random picture from the internet!

short3.jpg

Maybe e-mail them? I know people love Video Games Plus, but I have never dealt with them myself.

I emailed them last night and got my code this morning. Apparently they didn't email me it when they verified my payment, instead they posted the code directly on the order status page of their website. The code worked, sure, but they really need to be more clear about everything.

Top Bottom