• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So Gaf, how do you deal with random people trying to get you to buy something or donate on the street? I have never delt with this before I lived here so whenever someone says hi to me on the street I just naturally say hi back and then I'm fucked because they want me to give them 25 dollars a month to help save children or something and I feel bad when In them down. I also feel bad when I ignore someone tho :p.

maybe I will just wear headphones everywhere.

I used to do that job a few years ago. Just say no thanks. 99% of people don't stop.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So Gaf, how do you deal with random people trying to get you to buy something or donate on the street? I have never delt with this before I lived here so whenever someone says hi to me on the street I just naturally say hi back and then I'm fucked because they want me to give them 25 dollars a month to help save children or something and I feel bad when In them down. I also feel bad when I ignore someone tho :p.

maybe I will just wear headphones everywhere.

Whether it's an organization, or a homeless person, I usually acknowledge them, but say 'no thanks', or 'not today'. The key is to not stop walking; that's where you get into trouble. :p

Whether it's an organization, or a homeless person, I usually acknowledge them, but say 'no thanks', or 'not today'. The key is to not stop walking; that's where you get into trouble. :p

Yep. Don't ever stop walking and always just smile and say "Nope, sorry" or whatever. As soon as you stop walking you're screwed.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Does the parking rule vary city to city then? Not all cities have a 3 limit for unsigned streets. Sorry for asking here but there isn't a "small town Ontario OT" and many people now in Toronto may have come from small towns.

Just like you said it does vary from place to place. You may have to say specifically which town/city you're asking about to really know.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
You guys personify the Canadian stereotype of being way too nice.

I do stop walking because a lot of times it's actually someone who does need some help with directions. If it's not and they go into their spiel I just say "no thanks" and just take off.

ZZMitch

I do stop walking because a lot of times it's actually someone who does need some help with directions. If it's not and they go into their spiel I just say "no thanks" and just take off.

I've never had anyone ask me for directions yet actually heh, would be a bad choice for them since I barely know my way around once you get off campus.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

It's normally pretty easy to differentiate someone asking for directions from someone working for an organization asking for donations, or a panhandler. People asking for directions normally don't open with 'can i have a few minutes of your time today', or 'spare any chain'. But you never know I guess. I do have plenty of people ask me for directions, and I've no trouble helping them out. I guess I look way too nice with my smiling ways.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
It's normally pretty easy to differentiate someone asking for directions from someone working for an organization asking for donations, or a panhandler. People asking for directions normally don't open with 'can i have a few minutes of your time today', or 'spare any chain'. But you never know I guess. I do have plenty of people ask me for directions, and I've no trouble helping them out. I guess I look way too nice with my smiling ways.

The ones around my workplace seem to have switched it up.

I haven't got a "can I have a few minutes..." opening statement in a while. Usually it's "excuse me?" or something similar.

They've learned to adapt.

Quick

Banned
That's what I do. There have been times I've worn headphones without actually listening to music.

Or pretend to be on a phone call, as douchey as that is.

I posted it here months ago, but the whole headphones thing didn't work for me once. Black history guys at Eaton Centre actively stopped me by reaching out to my hand for a handshake and handed me the paper. I feel like shit because I gave the guy a dollar for the "donation", and he had the nerve to tell me "it's $2." I said I didn't have $2 and I walked away.

Roto13

Once my husband had his headphones on and one of those weird sleazy tootsie roll "donation" guys handed him one and he nabbed it and kept walking and was like "Thank you!"

And that's why I married him.

ZZMitch

I posted it here months ago, but the whole headphones thing didn't work for me once. Black history guys at Eaton Centre actively stopped me by reaching out to my hand for a handshake and handed me the paper. I feel like shit because I gave the guy a dollar for the "donation", and he had the nerve to tell me "it's $2." I said I didn't have $2 and I walked away.

Haha those guys stopped me on the way to the Skydome before a baseball game last month.

scogoth

It's funny how every month is black history month at yonge and dundas

Quadratic

I can tell a quick story about Charity workers on the street. I was on my way to work one morning and I was in a hurry. A guy tried to stop me for a few moments but I just blew by him saying I was on my way to work. I didn't think much of it. Later on that day I was on a patio drinking when the same guy walked by my table. My friend mentioned how he was giving me the stink eye as he was walking by LOL. Maybe they do hold a grudge? I can sympathize when you are ignored 99% of the time on the street. It might take it's toll mentally.

zorbsie

Once my husband had his headphones on and one of those weird sleazy tootsie roll "donation" guys handed him one and he nabbed it and kept walking and was like "Thank you!"

And that's why I married him.

That's bad ass! I see more and more of those guys. They make it look like they are handing them out. Pretty sneaky stuff.

I can tell a quick story about Charity workers on the street. I was on my way to work one morning and I was in a hurry. A guy tried to stop me for a few moments but I just blew by him saying I was on my way to work. I didn't think much of it. Later on that day I was on a patio drinking when the same guy walked by my table. My friend mentioned how he was giving me the stink eye as he was walking by LOL. Maybe they do hold a grudge? I can sympathize when you are ignored 99% of the time on the street. It might take it's toll mentally.

I had one of those guys giving me attitude once because I told him that I was busy. I hate how they work in tandem and try to trap you. I'll give to those charities but I won't do it through their glorified street beggars.

scogoth

I would sympathize with them except I don't want to be saved by Christ, learn the way of Islam or give donations for supposedly free Reese's pieces. You try to evangelize or scam me then I feel no remorse in telling you to fuck off

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

As someone who used to be one of those annoying Sick Kids people, I don't think anyone takes it seriously. They only care because they have quotas to meet or they get fired. The only annoying people are the ones that agree to pledge money then back off later on when they get called to confirm.

Rinoa

friend took a pic of the lineup for oprah
581398_10101076998992462_28112917_66336098_1896981659_n.jpg

cbox

That's bad ass! I see more and more of those guys. They make it look like they are handing them out. Pretty sneaky stuff.

Yeah seriously, there was a dude at yonge/bloor giving out reese cups and I grabbed one and unwrapped it. The guy's like, that'll be a dollar... I angrily gave the unwrapped chocolate back to him.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but for anyone looking for the best tacos (and bourbon list) in town, Grand Electric is your place. It's right at the gentrified border of Parkdale on Queen, just west of Dufferin. The question you have to ask yourself is if you're willing to wait 2-3 hours for tacos. I was, and it was soooo worth the wait.

They open at 6 and I had heard you need to be there early if you want a seat in the opening seating. My wife and I met two friends on Friday around 5:45 and it wasn't early enough. The line was insane! We got on the list for the 3rd seating so we didn't actually sit down to eat until 8:15 or so. Plenty of bars in the area to kill an hour or two though. The Rhino across the street had a nice patio so we waited it out there. And as I mentioned, the wait was worth it.

It's cheap and it's run by ex-Black Hoof guys. That's really all you need to know if you've ever been to the Black Hoof. It's a small menu and the focus is tacos. Beef, fish, chicken, and pork tacos...instead of ground beef and pork, you get beef cheek and pork belly. And so on. Interesting beer selection and an awesome bourbon selection with plenty of reasonably priced choices as well as some aged upscale choices. Only downside to the meal was that they were blasting hip hop too a bit too loud for conversation. At least it was good hip hop, like mid 90s era Gang Starr. Really can't say enough about the place and can't wait to go back to try the rest of the menu.

i'm heading there on wednesday with a few...it being run by ex-black hoof guys is a huge plus. and mid 90s era hip hop! fuck yeah, sign me up.

Quadratic

While we're still on the topic of Tacos. El Asador in Koreatown now has fish tacos! It's grilled whitefish with guacamole. They aren't baja style. Tasty in any case.

Stet

Banned
Metro news people and sometimes free promotional merchandise, but other than that all the regulars are out there for money.

There's a Metro News girl outside of Osgoode Station that is consistently the happiest person I see in my morning. She smiles at everyone and looks like she gets out of bed in the best mood in the world.

Must be nice. :(

Quick

Banned
I don't know if it's been brought up or not, but Silver Snail is officially moving to Yonge St. beside HMV.

Seems like a prime spot for the Snail - close to Ryerson, Eaton Centre, Dundas Square, and tourist area in general. However, Yonge St. is kind of a dump. I don't like the location purely because of the odd characters that seem to litter the place.

The Snail right now is pretty tight, but I like the feel of it. Going to be weird not climbing up the stairs (and tripping myself) and checking out the Gundams or the NHL models or shirts. Ah well.

I don't know if it's been brought up or not, but Silver Snail is officially moving to Yonge St. beside HMV.

Seems like a prime spot for the Snail - close to Ryerson, Eaton Centre, Dundas Square, and tourist area in general. However, Yonge St. is kind of a dump. I don't like the location purely because of the odd characters that seem to litter the place.

The Snail right now is pretty tight, but I like the feel of it. Going to be weird not climbing up the stairs (and tripping myself) and checking out the Gundams or the NHL models or shirts. Ah well.

Wow. I guess the deal to move into the Annex area fell through. That's a much better location if they have a good sized space. I hate going into the Snail right now. Far too tight for me. I like space when I'm browsing a store. Same reason I rarely go into A & C games.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I might end up with Marlies playoffs tickets for Thursday. Buddy of mine apparently won 4 but is going to the Jays game so has to pass them up.

Dyno

This is good news! The Snail will be a great addition to Yonge St. At one time Yonge St. was a sketchy dump full of criminality. It's come a long way since then. There are many higher end stores now and a bigger variety of services but some of the old dumpy hold-outs are still there. Over time I see it getting better and better. The Snail will help in that regard.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
This is good news! The Snail will be a great addition to Yonge St. At one time Yonge St. was a sketchy dump full of criminality. It's come a long way since then. There are many higher end stores now and a bigger variety of services but some of the old dumpy hold-outs are still there. Over time I see it getting better and better. The Snail will help in that regard.

Yes, I don't see any issue with the Yonge St location. In fact, it just adds another comic / game / nerd shop to the area with The Hairy Tarantula, 401 Games and Comix, among others. Although Silver Snail is arguably the weakest, but they have a bit of everything. I guess they win the collectable statues battle.

Yonge St is actually a bit boring now. The removal of Funland Arcade was basically the end of 'sketchiness', as soon as they replaced it with an Ardene(arg). If you find Yonge St sketchy, you will probably find a majority of neighborhoods in the city terrifying.

Quick

Banned
The Scarborough resident in me gives me a sense that all neighbourhoods are sketchy. :lol

For real though, on the positive, it makes shopping around a little easier with all these shops on the same street.

Top Bottom