• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
At sushi 67 now. Hmm...run by Koreans. Didn't have ramen or smoked salmon, but the tea is really nice.

Did you drop by the park for the cherry blossoms?

There's nothing really good in the immediate area.

Head slightly east and go to The Westerly, Barques, Hopgood's Foodliner or Zocalo.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Bloor West Village has some okay places to eat (Dr G, Yellow Griffin, even Sunset Grill), but they're all just okay.

Dyno

Was on the patio at The Black Bull for lunch. They really do have an excellent burger. Big enough, perfectly cooked, simple but super tasty. I got it with salad for a change and they give you a really nice, big, fresh salad.

Might be in high park today. Any of you milk baggers got a good restaurant in the area?

At Bloor and Keele (the north/east corner of High Park) there is a pub called the Mugshot Tavern. It's a nice little place with amazing food! Their fried chicken is awesome as is their burgers, fish n chips, and other dishes. Best place in the neighbourhood.

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/the-mugshot-tavern-toronto

EDIT : Too late! Enjoy!

o31hz.jpg

Stet

Banned
Just a reminder that I'll be at the Wizard World Toronto Comicon tomorrow and Sunday at table 2128 promoting an indie comicbook I co-wrote called Adventures of the Unlikely.

AqZDGA6CAAAqbzK.jpg

Come drop by if you want to say hi or to buy an issue for 2 bux. I might give you a discount if you tell me you're from Toronto-Age or are EvilMario. You'll recognize me because I look like Luke Perry.

jokkir

To those watching Coachella:

Don't forget to give your love to The Airplane Boys. They're a up and coming hip/hop/indie/electronic/pop/something group from Toronto (Scarborough to be more precise)

Gotta support these guys and see them hit it big :p

Kraftwerk

Fuck the roads and the shitty pothole. Can't bike for shit on them. I missed my mini-gaf meeting today to watch Nausicaa because of it. Need to move to Europe asap.

MPW

do you guys know any store where they sell nice/unique video game t shirts? (or maybe online site without crazy shipping and handling fees to toronto?)

Roto13

sure it is like I have black friend I am not racist kind of thing. downtown is so much better with all the drunks, old falling houses, jam packed street and pot smoking hippies.

Touchy? Every city has that one suburb that everyone hates. Vancouver has Surrey. Toronto has Scarberia.

daemonic

Banned
Having been raised in Scarborough I never really felt any hate towards it. There are obviously some disreputable areas, but what part of the city is free of that? Besides, I don't think it's been universally accepted that Scarborough is generally hated, so not sure what you're expecting to get out of posting a pic like that. Personally I always feel pretty uncomfortable going through parts of Etobicoke but I'm not going to hate on it.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Eh it's just a thing in the city. People make fun of Scarborough as a joke. No one really has any animosity to it, it's just a running joke. It's not like Jane and Finch and how people are actually afraid of that area.

sure it is like I have black friend I am not racist kind of thing. downtown is so much better with all the drunks, old falling houses, jam packed street and pot smoking hippies.

What part of "I live in Scarborough" did you not understand. If I objected so much to this place I wouldn't set foot in it, let alone live here.

Anyway, if any part of Toronto sucks, it's Etobicoke. That place is a shithole.

Quick

Banned
Eh it's just a thing in the city. People make fun of Scarborough as a joke. No one really has any animosity to it, it's just a running joke. It's not like Jane and Finch and how people are actually afraid of that area.

Or Malvern.

I don't actually hate Scarborough, and I used to live there. I just think that a few areas need some major fixing.

Presco

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but for anyone looking for the best tacos (and bourbon list) in town, Grand Electric is your place. It's right at the gentrified border of Parkdale on Queen, just west of Dufferin. The question you have to ask yourself is if you're willing to wait 2-3 hours for tacos. I was, and it was soooo worth the wait.

They open at 6 and I had heard you need to be there early if you want a seat in the opening seating. My wife and I met two friends on Friday around 5:45 and it wasn't early enough. The line was insane! We got on the list for the 3rd seating so we didn't actually sit down to eat until 8:15 or so. Plenty of bars in the area to kill an hour or two though. The Rhino across the street had a nice patio so we waited it out there. And as I mentioned, the wait was worth it.

It's cheap and it's run by ex-Black Hoof guys. That's really all you need to know if you've ever been to the Black Hoof. It's a small menu and the focus is tacos. Beef, fish, chicken, and pork tacos...instead of ground beef and pork, you get beef cheek and pork belly. And so on. Interesting beer selection and an awesome bourbon selection with plenty of reasonably priced choices as well as some aged upscale choices. Only downside to the meal was that they were blasting hip hop too a bit too loud for conversation. At least it was good hip hop, like mid 90s era Gang Starr. Really can't say enough about the place and can't wait to go back to try the rest of the menu.

Presco

If you can make it for 5:30 you'll get a seat at 6. And I went on a Friday. The line is there every night but it might be easier to get a table on another weekday.

Quadratic

I do admit the taco quality has sky rocketed in recent times. Back 10 years it was hard to get a decent one. As a Latin food junkie I'm loving it.

If you can make it for 5:30 you'll get a seat at 6. And I went on a Friday. The line is there every night but it might be easier to get a table on another weekday.

I've been there at 5:30 several times and it's always a line 50+ deep. Fuck that shit. There's plenty of awesome places slightly west or slightly north.

Zzoram

Anyone know if you can park overnight on streets without parking signs in small towns in Ontario? I see some streets with no parking signs or with time limits, but some streets don't have any signs.

Anyone know if you can park overnight on streets without parking signs in small towns in Ontario? I see some streets with no parking signs or with time limits, but some streets don't have any signs.

http://www.toronto.ca/transportation/parking/parking_faq.htm

How long can I park on the street if there are no signs posted?

Within the City of Toronto, an unsigned maximum three-hour parking limit exists on public roads unless there is signage posted indicating otherwise (eg, maximum 1 hour parking, maximum 15 minute parking, etc.)

Does the parking rule vary city to city then? Not all cities have a 3 limit for unsigned streets. Sorry for asking here but there isn't a "small town Ontario OT" and many people now in Toronto may have come from small towns.

Bah, sorry, it's late. I saw your question but glanced over that part.

Magnus

Rogers BOGO is on sale at most stores now. I'm at one in my neighborhood and it's still got a lot of great stuff. Dark Souls ($30), Skyrim ($30), Zelda: SS ($30) etc. so basically $15 each if you buy em in twos. All their games, blurays and DVDs formerly for rent are part of the sale.

All the new stuff is a flat 30% off.

Rogers BOGO is on sale at most stores now. I'm at one in my neighborhood and it's still got a lot of great stuff. Dark Souls ($30), Skyrim ($30), Zelda: SS ($30) etc. so basically $15 each if you buy em in twos. All their games, blurays and DVDs formerly for rent are part of the sale.

All the new stuff is a flat 30% off.

I'm going to give this a quick look today. Not sure if I need anything though.

Magnus

I can ask em to hold a couple things for ya under my name if you want man. Used to work here, so they'll probably be cool with that.

All holiday games seem to be $19-29. The odd one here or there is $60 for some reason (FFXIII-2 lol).

Edit- scratch that. The mgr is around. Don't wanna get em in trouble. Lol

ZZMitch

So Gaf, how do you deal with random people trying to get you to buy something or donate on the street? I have never delt with this before I lived here so whenever someone says hi to me on the street I just naturally say hi back and then I'm fucked because they want me to give them 25 dollars a month to help save children or something and I feel bad when In them down. I also feel bad when I ignore someone tho :p.

maybe I will just wear headphones everywhere.

Top Bottom