• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

whitehawk

Banned
So Gaf, how do you deal with random people trying to get you to buy something or donate on the street? I have never delt with this before I lived here so whenever someone says hi to me on the street I just naturally say hi back and then I'm fucked because they want me to give them 25 dollars a month to help save children or something and I feel bad when In them down. I also feel bad when I ignore someone tho :p.

maybe I will just wear headphones everywhere.
I've learnt to just ignore them flat out. Usually I'll have my headphones in which makes it easier.

Also this: http://youtu.be/40phQC-9qFE?t=1m27s

Stet

Banned
Yes, I don't see any issue with the Yonge St location. In fact, it just adds another comic / game / nerd shop to the area with The Hairy Tarantula, 401 Games and Comix, among others. Although Silver Snail is arguably the weakest, but they have a bit of everything. I guess they win the collectable statues battle.

Yonge St is actually a bit boring now. The removal of Funland Arcade was basically the end of 'sketchiness', as soon as they replaced it with an Ardene(arg). If you find Yonge St sketchy, you will probably find a majority of neighborhoods in the city terrifying.

That's a bit of why I'm upset about the move. Since 3rd Quadrant closed, Silver Snail has been the only store between Bathurst and Yonge on Queen. Dragon Lady is gone too, which means basically every store is in the same area. Boring.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
That's a bit of why I'm upset about the move. Since 3rd Quadrant closed, Silver Snail has been the only store between Bathurst and Yonge on Queen. Dragon Lady is gone too, which means basically every store is in the same area. Boring.

Well, there is a second hub for comic stores downtown in the Annex (Beguiling, BMV Books, Labyrinth), which is where they were originally looking to move. It's funny how places love to clump together, but really, I don't mind it. It means there's almost no reason for me to stop at Queen & Spadina now, outside of having to buy something from Active Surplus. I'd love even one in my neighborhood, but that's never going to happen. There are a few good comic shops mostly scattered on the east end, but the west end is pretty much the Annex, or Yonge, or nothing. Red Nails II is an okay shop, but probably too far out of the way for most people (Jane & Bloor), and Hairy Tarantula has a west end location in the Annex (with video games.. that are overpriced).

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I was told I am spoiled because my first "gentleman's club" experience was at Whiskey a Go-Go's. They say I should have started at a more dingy place and built up to that "class". :(

explodet

The major newspaper websites are starting to tick me off. The Toronto Star running Ford/KFC as their main headline is pretty asinine - I'm not a fan of Mayor McCheese either but this hardly seems worthy of headline news.

And the National Post headlines seem to be all Wildrose, all the time. You're supposed to be a NATIONAL paper guys, feel free to once in a while talk about how much McGuinty or Charest sucks again.

Toronto Sun, 'nuff said.

There you go. See? A perfectly valid reason to call him a shitheaded fucktard. So much better than "lol u eet chikin"

Nah, I think it's perfectly reasonable to mock him for going into KFC.

He makes a bold, public promise to lose weight, complete with a weekly dog and pony show of him stepping on the scale. He's gained weight back for the past 4 weeks in a row. Now he's spotted going into a greasy fast food place. (Well, he's spotted going into them all the time, but this visit was caught on tape.)

He's brought this on himself.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
In that case, how about him confirming that he's skipping town for Pride again this year?

I think it makes him look like a douchebag for not supporting the event, and carries much more weight politically than going to a KFC. But I'm not going to go to his cottage and call him names for doing it.

Since when was the Star a tabloid rag?

Whatever generates hits. The Star has never been above tabloid material, but they haven't compared Rob Ford to Hitler yet, so they're still behind the Sun.

Black-Box

Maybe Rob Ford is just getting so much hate, that its to the point whats the point of going. I think spending time with his family is more important, than walking around being made fun of.

maybe he isn't comfortable with gays, maybe some gay people should come up to him, and confront him, and act very openly gay and see how he reacts. like a mini pride hour

maybe I am just being WAY to nice to Ford.

Black-Box

385727_10150966560410550_806755549_13042830_1084576765_n.jpg

passing it around, someone must of saw something!

Roto13

Where should I get my cats spayed and neutered? They're about that age and size where it's time to get them fixed. (I thought it was six months, but apparently you can do it much earlier than that.) I'm not exactly rich, but I don't want to bring them anywhere sketchy. :p Preferably downtown, if only because I don't want to drag two cats who just had surgery very far.

Stet

Banned
Where should I get my cats spayed and neutered? They're about that age and size where it's time to get them fixed. (I thought it was six months, but apparently you can do it much earlier than that.) I'm not exactly rich, but I don't want to bring them anywhere sketchy. :p Preferably downtown, if only because I don't want to drag two cats who just had surgery very far.

I would wait until 6 months, to be honest. It's not so much about the hormonal changes as it is about how large they are and the amount of anesthetic they have to use. I take my cats to the Downtown Animal Hospital at Church and Isabella.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Only vet I've had experience with in the city is the Forest Hill Animal Clinic. They're very helpful at the front desk, and you can just do walk-ins before noon. Prices are similar to what you'd have at Animal Services, or Animal Hospitals, but you can call and check.

Also, nearly all 'vets' are no Animal Hospitals. I guess they can charge more for their services then? Oh well, at least Toronto has plenty of locations in case my dog has any trouble.

Quick

Banned

I went to get my dog neutered at the Ontario SPCA. Top notch care for a very cheap price. Only catches are you have to wait a while since you're going to be on a waiting list and there are only two places that do it: their clinic in Newmarket and in Barrie.

http://spayneuter.ontariospca.ca/

I think the bigger news is Rob Ford won't be attending any Canada Day festivities in Toronto since Canada Day is on a Sunday this year........

Did other Mayors stay in Toronto on weekend Canada Days?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
How much does it cost to spay a cat?

I ask cause one of my friends has been bitching and complaining about how expensive it is and thus has been putting it off for months and complaining about her cat all the time.

The major newspaper websites are starting to tick me off. The Toronto Star running Ford/KFC as their main headline is pretty asinine - I'm not a fan of Mayor McCheese either but this hardly seems worthy of headline news.

And the National Post headlines seem to be all Wildrose, all the time. You're supposed to be a NATIONAL paper guys, feel free to once in a while talk about how much McGuinty or Charest sucks again.

Toronto Sun, 'nuff said.

The First Real Alberta Election Contest In 30 Years(TM) is a fascinating national event, really. I don't blame the Post for focusing on Alberta, where they could stand to increase their circulation.

whitehawk

Banned
Rogers BOGO is on sale at most stores now. I'm at one in my neighborhood and it's still got a lot of great stuff. Dark Souls ($30), Skyrim ($30), Zelda: SS ($30) etc. so basically $15 each if you buy em in twos. All their games, blurays and DVDs formerly for rent are part of the sale.

All the new stuff is a flat 30% off.
When you say Rogers BOGO, you mean Rogers Plus right?

Also I'm guessing this sale your talking about has to do with Rogers+ shutting down right? http://business.financialpost.com/2012/04/17/rogers-shutting-down-video-rental-business/

How are the pickings?

I think the bigger news is Rob Ford won't be attending any Canada Day festivities in Toronto since Canada Day is on a Sunday this year........

Did other Mayors stay in Toronto on weekend Canada Days?

I don't know, but Google Images tells me he's been photographed at a Fossil of the Day awards.

And jogging with the Pride Parade.

So I'm inclined to say yes.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
BlogTO has a piece on A&C World (the 'arcade' next to A&C Games just south of Bloor on Spadina).

http://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2012/04/where_video_gamers_gather_in_toronto/

I've been to A&C Games many times. They're far and away the best shop in the city for older generation games and systems.. and one of the only places for imports. I would like to check out A&C World at some point. Frequent Mario Kart, Tetris Attack, Smash Bros, Pokemon, fighting games, and now Kid Icarus tournaments.

Ox7zO.jpg

And there are some renders up for proposed development at the corner of Church and Huron.

PaF6G.jpg

LZZSV.jpg

Dyno

Nah, I think it's perfectly reasonable to mock him for going into KFC.

He makes a bold, public promise to lose weight, complete with a weekly dog and pony show of him stepping on the scale. He's gained weight back for the past 4 weeks in a row. Now he's spotted going into a greasy fast food place. (Well, he's spotted going into them all the time, but this visit was caught on tape.)

He's brought this on himself.

Exactly. When you claim to go on a diet and have a string of bad weeks then you don't get any free pass to hit up the KFC. That is a declaration saying that you've essentially given up on the diet. It shows a complete lack of discipline.

Dyno

I like the look, especially the old with the new.

You have to face it boys, we are at the glass building stage of our technological development.

Magnus

When you say Rogers BOGO, you mean Rogers Plus right?

Also I'm guessing this sale your talking about has to do with Rogers+ shutting down right? http://business.financialpost.com/2012/04/17/rogers-shutting-down-video-rental-business/

How are the pickings?

Rogers Buy-One-Get-One Sale (BOGO) :) Yeah, the Rogers Plus stores. Oh, it's way too late to look now, imo. Might find the odd treasure here or there, but Monday was the day. Sorry dude!

This is good news! The Snail will be a great addition to Yonge St. At one time Yonge St. was a sketchy dump full of criminality. It's come a long way since then. There are many higher end stores now and a bigger variety of services but some of the old dumpy hold-outs are still there. Over time I see it getting better and better. The Snail will help in that regard.

Batmanbegins1.jpg

385727_10150966560410550_806755549_13042830_1084576765_n.jpg

passing it around, someone must of saw something!

Friend of a friend of mine. :(

I hope she turns up safe soon.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
My friend lives in one of those glass walled condos. Specifically the one that first dropped glass onto the street. It's also incredibly cold there during the winter and hot int he summer thanks to the complete lack of insulation. Sucks for him.

daemonic

Banned
Yeah I've got a friend at the Murano as well. Glass fell on the street and the entrance has been covered with scaffolding for months. He has a corner unit made up almost entirely of glass walls. Freezing in winter, unbearable in summer. Aesthetics over comfort I suppose.

Rogers Buy-One-Get-One Sale (BOGO) :) Yeah, the Rogers Plus stores. Oh, it's way too late to look now, imo. Might find the odd treasure here or there, but Monday was the day. Sorry dude!

I went to a Rogers store today and they still had plenty of stock. I'm hoping the store eventually flips to a Buy 1 get 2 free store. That's when shit will start to fly.

Top Bottom