• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Willectro

Banned

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
This is the best thing I've read all year. What a joke; I thought he would never utter "football" again.

On another, more positive note: Is anyone going to Nuit Blanche? What's the deal with www.scotiabanknuitblanche.ca? It's always down. I tried today and 2 weeks ago. Is there any other websites with info?

It's up for me. Also, not going because it's sucked every yeah I've went.

Mr. F

Banned
This is the best thing I've read all year. What a joke; I thought he would never utter "football" again.

On another, more positive note: Is anyone going to Nuit Blanche? What's the deal with www.scotiabanknuitblanche.ca? It's always down. I tried today and 2 weeks ago. Is there any other websites with info?

Works for me. Went to Nuit Blanche for the first/last time in 2010, found it underwhelming and not that enjoyable (maybe I didn't 'get it'). A friend of mine said last year's was a bust as well so I'm not really compelled to go back this year.

On a side note, waking up to The Dean Blundell Show kind of sours my morning. Need to get a better alarm station.

Hieberrr

Man, I freaking love California Sandwiches. Their veal and sausage sandwiches are to die for. Every time my girlfriend and I go, we each veal and sausage, respectively, and do half and half. Best meal ever.

EDIT: Should I send my Nexus 7 back to Google? The screen has a slight creak to it (which frankly doesn't bother me too much) and I'm afraid that it'll fall apart later on down the road.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Man, I freaking love California Sandwiches. Their veal and sausage sandwiches are to die for. Every time my girlfriend and I go, we each veal and sausage, respectively, and do half and half. Best meal ever.

I've never been a huge fan of California Sandwiches, but I may try it again. I haven't had one in over a decade it feels like.

Cudder

Ehh it's alright. Their sauce is really generic. I get the eggplant though lol.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Since they are franchised out I find that the quality of sauce/sandwich is pretty dependent on location. The downsview location is really good.

The one I had I think was closer to Woodbridge. I know where that Downsview one is and I'm not too far maybe I'll give it another shot.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Just went to Grazie near yonge/eglington

Service: very good...though dude kinda reminded me of Gus from Breaking Bad.
Food: not that great. Portions were huge, but food itself was bland.
Price: if you're paying for quantity, its good value. Taste = not so much
Other: bread was stale. Didnt have to ask for water. Atmosphere was good. Wasnt too busy. Server did come by to ask how everything was.

Overall: would not go again

Quick

Banned
You guys rocking Nuit Blanche tonight?

I didn't realize it was tonight.

I did a bit last year, pretty lame outside of a few exhibits. Maybe I'd have enjoyed it more with livelier friends, but I ended up in a foul mood when I decided to go home.

Biscuits

Did you guys see this? Princess of Wales to be demolished and replaced with a condos and a "culture complex"

I liked what he did with the AGO, but wtf:

Epgeu.jpg

Is that seriously random strips of crumpled paper?

Just went to Grazie near yonge/eglington

Service: very good...though dude kinda reminded me of Gus from Breaking Bad.
Food: not that great. Portions were huge, but food itself was bland.
Price: if you're paying for quantity, its good value. Taste = not so much
Other: bread was stale. Didnt have to ask for water. Atmosphere was good. Wasnt too busy. Server did come by to ask how everything was.

Overall: would not go again

I've been to the one near Wonderland and the service sucked, took over 25 minutes for someone to come by the table to say hi and take a drink order.........I wanted to leave but my parents wanted to stay =/

Personally, it's just too damn crowded, and everything is just behind a giant line. It's like new years, without anything interesting.

I guess I could have gone out later and wait till people thinned out, but then I can sleep instead.

I always hear negative things about Nuit Blanche yet the same people go every year because they fall for the novelty of having stuff to do overnight downtown...........I just think of all the drunk/stoned kids swarming about thinking they are hot shit

Mr. F

Banned
Personally, it's just too damn crowded, and everything is just behind a giant line. It's like new years, without anything interesting.

I guess I could have gone out later and wait till people thinned out, but then I can sleep instead.

Yeah my friends came back a little while ago and said that nearly everything had lines ranging from 45 minutes to an hour and a half waits.

I always hear negative things about Nuit Blanche yet the same people go every year because they fall for the novelty of having stuff to do overnight downtown...........I just think of all the drunk/stoned kids swarming about thinking they are hot shit
That's what it was, basically. Even things like food trucks near the eaton center was jam packed.

We had a boardgame night at a friends place before heading out, we quickly went back for another game instead.

That's what it was, basically. Even things like food trucks near the eaton center was jam packed.

We had a boardgame night at a friends place before heading out, we quickly went back for another game instead.

Big deal, you can get food anytime in Toronto =/

Hardly ever hear that the "art" is amazing

daemonic

Banned
People really get off on the fact that they can stay out late and practically do whatever they want. I barely lasted a half hour and then went back home.. for Nuit Blanche, best thing is to avoid the Yonge Dundas area and head out further like Queen/Bathurst, where people are less obnoxious. Lots of police around though.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

It's okay though I feel the same way, damn kids and their skateboards.

Quick

Banned

This was my experience last year. Plenty of (probably) uni/college students getting their hipster cred, high school kids acting like they're so mature, and artists generally getting off on having a place to freely exhibit their stuff. Not that there's anything wrong with those, though.

People really get off on the fact that they can stay out late and practically do whatever they want. I barely lasted a half hour and then went back home.. for Nuit Blanche, best thing is to avoid the Yonge Dundas area and head out further like Queen/Bathurst, where people are less obnoxious. Lots of police around though.

I went last year, spent about a couple of hours before heading home. You really don't do it for the art, you do it for the experience. The people I came with were pretty negative, so that partly soured my experience. I'd go again with the right people.

jokkir

Stayed overnight for Nuit Blanche. The only thing interesting was the free lantern convenience store thing which I thought was pretty cool but other than that, it was kind of meh. Like the past two years. I don't know why I keep going lol

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Here is the first draft render of the new buildings:

j2mrF.jpg

Looks amazing to me. If it even ends up half as good as "8 Spruce Street" that Gehry designed in Manhattan, then it will be a real treat.

Was just about to post this, it looks amazing.

They're all 85+ Storey towers too, plus we get 2 new museums.

gm1.jpg

gm3.jpg

gm3-1.jpg

Huge impact on the skyline too.

Top Bottom