• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Stet

Banned
This storm is nuts. I'm just sitting on my balcony with a camera.

29nhz47.jpg

149vwpl.jpg

2dqr87s.jpg

dvk751.jpg

Well it's over. Was one of the scarier ones in a long while but nothing of significance happened. Was windy for a bit but it was mostly thunder and a ton of non-stop lightning. Now I can sleep.

Nice pics stet.

Zips

The storm started getting noticeably loud and flashy tonight while my girlfriend and I were watching Jurassic Park on AMC. It was the part where the T-Rex breaks out and looks at the kids through the car window.

Awesome.

I can't believe I was outside at a TFC soccer match during the storm. I thought we were all gonna die! The game got cancelled obviously but was rescheduled for 10am tomorrow. haha I can't believe I'm actually going to go to that but I am.

Magnus

Man...the storm's still going in the distance. It's only been over in the city for like, an hour and change.

These photos can't compare to Stet's (nice job man!) but here are a few my roommate and I grabbed from our balcony with our lowly iPhones:

254705_10100618995310512_28106779_63216505_1352809_n.jpg

320809_10100619034541892_28106779_63217686_8064324_n.jpg

308854_10100619056652582_28106779_63218377_964568_n.jpg

Takao

Banned
Speaking of another storm - Firestorm, he's running our FanExpo meet-up, and would appreciate it if those interested could sign up in this thread. I'll update the guest list as it expands.

Also, if anyone is heading to FanExpo today, check out if there's any PlayStation Vita's there.

Roto13

I'm so sad I missed that storm! I'm visiting my family in Newfoundland for a couple of weeks. Already miss the city, but I have to say, it's nice to be able to breathe. The weather here is perfect. Sunny and breezy and cool. Mmm.

That storm was pretty brutal last night, lasted from 8 - 10 but could still see lightning and hear thunder 'till 12.
Apparently a tornado touched down in Newmarket, not exactly positive about that. Anyone news on a tornado anywhere in the GTA?

Firestorm

BigJonsson said:
BC is getting rid of the HST

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/08/26/bc-hst-referendum-results.html

I think its safe to say that the PC's in Ontario were hoping for this but would have expected at least 65% voting this way

If I were in BC I'd have kept the HST and taken the 2% reduction
Yeah, I was F5ing the results.
godfucking dammit i hate people

As my friend said, "I'd rather have had a by-election for every hypocrite Liberal MLA (our term for MPP) than a referendum".

I wasn't able to figure out how to vote from Ontario but my riding was lost anyway. Close to 70% said "Yes" (which means no HST just to keep it confusing). High immigrant population means most people just thought "HST BAD" and voted on that without really looking into it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I hadn't been to Pacific Mall in years, but it deeply saddens me the Japanese dish wares shop (one of my only reasons for visiting) has shut down. There seems to be less 'toys' shop around as well. And there are five Tea Shops 168. Bwaha.

BigJonsson said:
I think its safe to say that the PC's in Ontario were hoping for this but would have expected at least 65% voting this way

And if they act on it here, one could easily counter with their stated preference of not so very long ago that harmonized tax systems were the smarter way to go. But then, what's a politician who doesn't change his mind from time to time.

Back in BC, the provincial NDP have asked the Federal Government to let them keep the 1.6 Billion in federal adjustment funds. As one blogger I know put it:

"Dear mom, I know we agreed I'd get $25 if I got an A in math but I only got a C+. But I think I should get the $25 anyway."

whitehawk

Banned
Okay, which one of you was this? It was actually placed under the big plastic thing on the glass near the doors.

YKGnf.jpg

fdf6O.jpg

There was also one at the other door across from that one.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Zombie James said:
Watching the funeral precession on CBC... wish I could be down there.
So do I; I'd like to pay my respects. I wonder how many people are down there right now? There seemed to be a lot.

:(

Draff

EvilMario said:
I hadn't been to Pacific Mall in years, but it deeply saddens me the Japanese dish wares shop (one of my only reasons for visiting) has shut down. There seems to be less 'toys' shop around as well. And there are five Tea Shops 168. Bwaha.

Yep, pretty much.
The arcade's now shitty and derelict. I wonder what type of stores they'll attract with their massive expansion. Can't see much more than copies of what they already have.

Roto13 said:
A little old, but I was reading about the $48 million food court renovations at the Eaton Centre and laughing. They're going to be using real china and silverware now. You know, for people to steal. It pretty much feels like a luxurious new space for homeless people to beg for your cold McDonald's fries.

I forgot that the Eaton Centre exists! I hate malls though so I guess I was just blocking out any memories of that place.

This city is pretty amazing.

I'll try to post some more fleshed out thoughts, but I love how well put together everything is here. Especially the women.

Back home I'd be screwed by the sh*t excuses we have for art supply stores. No Copic Markers for years, no screen tone, just no chance of getting the art supplies I go looking for. Here, there are so many art supply stores and if one doesn't have what you're looking for - another will.

God damn that's great!

Even the hobos in Toronto are better than the hobos back home. Who will tail you like a vulture waiting for the money beast to drop dead to feast on the corpse.

Businesses being OPEN is a huge deal. It's just awesome that there's plenty of business and it stays open. It doesn't shut down early and people LIVE in the city. People everywhere and all sorts. I dig it. I dig being able to walk around and get Arabic, Indian, Chinese, Italian food. Back home after a certain hour your food options downtown are Subway, Quiznos, Subway, Subway, and Subway. >:O

And you guys have a REAL subway and good public transportation.

The Take Out Bandit said:
I dig being able to walk around and get Arabic, Indian, Chinese, Italian food.

As a native Torontonian, this is one of my favourite things about the city. All kinds of food within single city blocks.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
added_time said:

Toronto, fuck yeah!

Toronto does attract a lot of hate from inside (everyone else has it better, transit, city services) and out (boring, ugly, rude, stuck up). I've always found it amusing. There are things the city could be doing better, but overall, I couldn't ask for a much better place to live.

whitehawk

Banned
crimzonflame said:
If he think Toronto's so awesome wait till he visits Montreal.
I've been to montreal many times, but I'll stick with toronto.

Vancouver on the other hand... I've been tempted to say fuck it and stay there when I visited family.

Firestorm

BladeWorker said:
First I've heard of this. Where were you tryin' to go?
This was more on my last visit at the beginning of the month. August 7th. Was staying at Le Meridian King Edward. We walked from around there (King & Yonge-ish) down to Front and half the places we came across were closed Sundays :( I was starting to think Torontonians don't eat on Sunday? Y'all are inhuman!

Firestorm said:
This was more on my last visit at the beginning of the month. August 7th. Was staying at Le Meridian King Edward. We walked from around there (King & Yonge-ish) down to Front and half the places we came across were closed Sundays :( I was starting to think Torontonians don't eat on Sunday? Y'all are inhuman!
In the business district, yah, most places are closed on Sundays. If you're out where there are more people living than business-ing, you'll find more open.

Same could be said for most major cities: had the same experience in NYC when a friend decided she needed a specific bakery's cupcake on a Saturday afternoon while we were standing outside the NYSE. That went well...:/ And (for a second example) according to their tourist information people, Rome shuts down on Sundays for their religious holiday.

Firestorm said:

Walking around the financial district and wondering why restaurants are closed on Sunday? lol

Blackface

Banned
Zombie James said:

This is actually 10000 times better for the city then a bunch of new condo's and shit. The Stadium would bring an NFL which brings in tons of money. The monorail would bring in tons of money. And Parks are ALWAYS a really good thing.

Really, if anyone is against this, they are doing it simply because they do not like the Fords. It's an awesome idea, and much better then what the space is currently being used for/going to be used for.

Firestorm

crimzonflame said:
Walking around the financial district and wondering why restaurants are closed on Sunday? lol
Hey man Front St. near St Lawrence market seemed touristy enough to me.

In Vancouver you wanna be fed we don't discriminate based on location! >=O

Top Bottom