• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Tornado watch is official for Toronto. They say the ingredients are there for a tornado to go down, they just aren't certain whether it will happen because of how unstable the storm is. They said no matter what we'll get severe weather, but man, a tornado watch doesn't happen often here.

dudeworld

-Pyromaniac- said:
Tornado watch is official for Toronto. They say the ingredients are there for a tornado to go down, they just aren't certain whether it will happen because of how unstable the storm is. They said no matter what we'll get severe weather, but man, a tornado watch doesn't happen often here.
it happens more often in Toronto than most other Canadian cities. I'd say a few tornado watches/warnings a year is pretty normal. Toronto at basically at the top of tornado alley and usually gets the left-overs from the states.

Toronto gets these things from time to time. They rarely touch down, though. There's was an insanely ridiculous storm a couple of years ago. The sky was actually rotating, and the clouds were weird colours like green and brown.

No, I wasn't on drugs.

dudeworld

lunarworks said:
Toronto gets these things from time to time. They rarely touch down, though. There's was an insanely ridiculous storm a couple of years ago. The sky was actually rotating, and the clouds were weird colours like green and brown.

No, I wasn't on drugs.

I was right there where they were touching down in the Vaughan area. I think 4 touched down that evening

EvilMario said:
I'm right by the lake. Come on, let's see some harmless water spouts!
Saw those over the lake when I was a wee kid.

That was the craziest storm cloud I'd ever seen. Looking way back, it was like the alien ship from Independence Day.

The watches happen but this is the most extensive one possibly ever spanning a lot of Ontario, so it's worth noting. Should be more clear in the evening.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Updating the OP a bit. Labeling new listings with *new*, so you can keep an eye out for those if you're interested in seeing recent additions. Recommendations always welcomed if you've found a new great place to eat, shop, or visit. Just try to write a few words about why it's good.

By the way, digging through my photos from this year, I found this charmer. One internet point if someone can actually tell me where it's from.

DSC01863.JPG

Sky is black and angry over Mississauga. I swear everytime these things happen I expect a T-Rex at any moment to eyeball past my window. Sounds like I'm in jurrasic park.

Quick

Banned
EvilMario said:
Updating the OP a bit. Labeling new listings with *new*, so you can keep an eye out for those if you're interested in seeing recent additions. Recommendations always welcomed if you've found a new great place to eat, shop, or visit. Just try to write a few words about why it's good.

I'll toss in my recommendation for Salad King. Went there a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty damn good. And in the OP, did you mean them moving to their current location at Yonge, or are they moving to a new location?

As for places to eat, I've got one:

Ajisen Ramen [North York & Markham] - As the name implies, their specialty is ramen. They have a healthy selection, so even the pickiest of eaters have their choice. The sushi could be better, but clearly the focus is ramen.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
LT+Dan.jpg

"Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch, blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me! Ha ha!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Quick said:
I'll toss in my recommendation for Salad King. Went there a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty damn good. And in the OP, did you mean them moving to their current location at Yonge, or are they moving to a new location?

As for places to eat, I've got one:

Ajisen Ramen [North York & Markham] - As the name implies, their specialty is ramen. They have a healthy selection, so even the pickiest of eaters have their choice. The sushi could be better, but clearly the focus is ramen.

I'll have to update it. When I originally wrote about the Salad King, they had not yet opened their new (and excellent) location.

Draff

EvilMario said:
I'll have to update it. When I originally wrote about the Salad King, they had not yet opened their new (and excellent) location.

Ehh, I think it's pretty overrated.
For Pad Thai, at least, Sukhothai is much better.

Quick

Banned
Spl1nter said:
5 minutes of power outage make me realize how much I love electricity. lol

My lights just flickered, and I don't hear lightning anymore.

On another note, has anyone considered doing EdgeWalk at the CN Tower? I'm highly considering it for my birthday. Price is deterring me, though.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Quick said:
On another note, has anyone considered doing EdgeWalk at the CN Tower? I'm highly considering it for my birthday. Price is deterring me, though.
The price is crazy which is why I'll never do it. If it ever shows up on Groupon/LivingSocial with a great discount then I'll consider it.

Quick said:

Go skydiving instead.

Firestorm

Quick said:

You should do it today. Like, right now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So much lightning. It's pretty cool.

The thunder is not, however. So loud... and it's pretty constant.

My lights turned off for two seconds, and they just flickered again now. The street lights on around my place went out for a little bit, though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Definitely the most continuous lightning I've ever seen. Growing up on the west coast, these storms are so rare, it's awesome to see up close.

dudeworld

Firestorm said:
There were like 5 flashes every 10 seconds what is this 10 per minute bullshit @_@
I should have said it's 10+ per minute. It's labeled as "continuous" which means you should be seeing and hearing constant thunder and lightning

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Quick said:
MY BODY IS REA--

lightning.JPG

I don't know if this pic is from tonight but I was just coming to here to post that I saw the lighting just like this hit the tower 4 times. It was the most clearly defined lightning I have EVER seen and each strike lasted for about a second. Craziest shit I've ever seen. WOW.

StudioTan said:
I don't know if this pic is from tonight but I was just coming to here to post that I saw the lighting just like this hit the tower 4 times. It was the most clearly defined lightning I have EVER seen and each strike lasted for about a second. Craziest shit I've ever seen. WOW.
Ya, I was downtown during a crazy storm once. I swear the tower got hit nearly 10 times within an hour.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Man getting shots of lighting is not easy. Shout outs to the photographers who get those amazing shots. <_<

I was just out on the balcony, and I JUST saw the CN Tower get hit by lightning. I saw this all the way from Scarborough. Pretty intense.

Represent. said:
Man getting shots of lighting is not easy. Shout outs to the photographers who get those amazing shots. <_<
Tell me about it. I took a few shots tonight, I just got one dinky bolt.

I set the aperature to the smallest it will get, set the ISO to 400, and let the exposure run for 10+ seconds.

I gave up because I don't have a proper tripod, and had to rest my camera on the balcony. It started getting wet, so I brought it back in.

cbox

Went for a drive, and witnessed the power fizzle out in a huge condo - then having lightning strike behind now dark condo, and lighting up everything around it + having Gail force winds and torrential downpour = the most intense drive I've ever taken in my life thus far.

I need a cigarette.

dudeworld

lunarworks said:
I was just out on the balcony, and I JUST saw the CN Tower get hit by lightning. I saw this all the way from Scarborough. Pretty intense.

Tell me about it. I took a few shots tonight, I just got one dinky bolt.

I set the aperature to the smallest it will get, set the ISO to 400, and let the exposure run for 10+ seconds.

I gave up because I don't have a proper tripod, and had to rest my camera on the balcony. It started getting wet, so I brought it back in.

yeah a tripod is basically essential for taking lightning shots since you need to use long exposure. I got lucky once and got a shot of lightning without using long exposure or a tripod

ConvenientBox said:
Went for a drive, and witnessed the power fizzle out in a huge condo - then having lightning strike behind now dark condo, and lighting up everything around it + having Gail force winds and torrential downpour = the most intense drive I've ever taken in my life thus far.

I need a cigarette.
Last stormageddon, I was on the road and watched as lighting struck a hydro pole, which then fell over and hit a car. That was my cue to GTFO. I don't watch storms anymore.

Also: I believe you mean gale force winds. Unless there's a Gail in your life who blows through like a tornado from time to time, which I suppose is also possible. /grammarbitch

Wow. There's a a tornado warning for Oakville (I used to live there), complete with all the "stay inside, stay away from windows, etc" stuff that goes along with it.

My girlfriend said I should call my dad and warn him. I said no. Why? If I called him, and if he even answered the phone, he'd just laugh and go back to bed. (He's a stubborn Dutchman.)

If a tornado blows him away, then that's what's going to happen.

Top Bottom