• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Roto13

A friend of mine went to Fan Expo and said he didn't get a single 3DS Street Pass, which sounds really weird. Did anyone else bring their 3DS? Did you have a similar experience?

Firestorm

Roto13 said:
A friend of mine went to Fan Expo and said he didn't get a single 3DS Street Pass, which sounds really weird. Did anyone else bring their 3DS? Did you have a similar experience?
I got at least 30. he was doing something wrong.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Firestorm said:
This was more on my last visit at the beginning of the month. August 7th. Was staying at Le Meridian King Edward. We walked from around there (King & Yonge-ish) down to Front and half the places we came across were closed Sundays :( I was starting to think Torontonians don't eat on Sunday? Y'all are inhuman!
Might as well go to the hammock district in the middle of winter.

Roto13

Yeah, he just checked seconds ago and found out that he had ten, which is the max you can get without checking. :p Dummy. Doesn't know what he's doing.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Blackface said:
This is actually 10000 times better for the city then a bunch of new condo's and shit. The Stadium would bring an NFL which brings in tons of money. The monorail would bring in tons of money. And Parks are ALWAYS a really good thing.

Really, if anyone is against this, they are doing it simply because they do not like the Fords. It's an awesome idea, and much better then what the space is currently being used for/going to be used for.
LOL at a mononrail bringing in "tons of money". I bet you've thought about this as much as Rob Ford.

Firestorm

Roto13 said:
Yeah, he just checked seconds ago and found out that he had ten, which is the max you can get without checking. :p Dummy. Doesn't know what he's doing.
After doing the puzzle pieces and find mii, he can then just go back in and there should be more at the gate. I was confused as to why I only got 10 at a goddamn national US Pokemon tournament and then found out there was more afterwards >.>

crimzonflame said:
No doubt but I was mostly insulting Vancouver.
bitch plz dont even

Stet

Banned
lunarworks said:
Sun TV is essentially a money-losing venture funded by rich right-wingers desperate to get their message across.
Butbutbut the Ezra Levant interview with conservative killjoy Mark Steyn had better ratings than a local CTV outlet!!! See, it's a real network!!

Quick

Banned
I love Toronto. I've been to Montreal, and I'd like to go back simply to visit. I don't think I can live there.

Vancouver, I've yet to go, so I won't say anything bad about them.

Roto13 said:

Lol, I got 100+ passes during my 3 days there.

lunarworks said:
878A3.jpg

They're all running away from cleveland.

crimzonflame said:
If he think Toronto's so awesome wait till he visits Montreal.

I may visit BC next, just because I'm interested in moving some place where there's not sh*t weather; and if I can get in on that free health care - then I will have one massive excuse to not pursue a career as a dirty poor who draws funnybooks for a living stricken from the record.

Kuro Madoushi said:
I'm so sorry... :(

cleveland is a fate worse than death.

Yes, Darfur is technically worse - but to think cleveland exists in America, where the are cities that are vibrant, forward thinking, and amazing. Yes, it's sh*t.

At least Iowa has corn.

I'm back in cleveland now. What a bummer. I'll miss you packs of cyclists, trash cans with foot pedals to operate, plentiful recycling options, and abundant sexy ladies! ;_;

Magnus

Roto13 said:
I got an average of 50 a day. And I don't even care about them. Just had my 3DS on me, lol.

Roto13

The Take Out Bandit said:
I may visit BC next, just because I'm interested in moving some place where there's not sh*t weather; and if I can get in on that free health care - then I will have one massive excuse to not pursue a career as a dirty poor who draws funnybooks for a living stricken from the record.
Well, Vancouver has shitty weather for ten months out of the year and healthcare isn't free in BC. :p

Dyno

Quick said:
I love Toronto. I've been to Montreal, and I'd like to go back simply to visit. I don't think I can live there.

Vancouver, I've yet to go, so I won't say anything bad about them.

I live in Toronto but have family who moved to Vancouver and Victoria. I've visited there dozens of times but I wouldn't want to live there.

If you're an outdoorsy person then Vancouver is attractive for the skiing, snowboarding and other mountain sports. Some people live for that stuff and if you do then you will enjoy living in Vancouver. It's also on the ocean and that can be nice if you're into that.

That said - and probably because of the above - Vancouver's night life is really tame. Their clubs are generic also-rans with no style of their own. They have excellent sushi restaurants but anything else is pretty forgettable. The overall culture and streetstyle is nothing like Toronto and aside from East Asians it's not all that ethnically diverse, which gives Toronto so many of its cool signature neighbourhoods.

I actually like Victoria more then Vancouver because it looks wealthier, their harbourfront is really nice (like Toronto's Queens Quay) and the weather on the island is much nicer than Vancouver. It's not as big as Vancouver but as I've said Vancouver as a city is pretty easy to walk away from.

Firestorm said:
After doing the puzzle pieces and find mii, he can then just go back in and there should be more at the gate. I was confused as to why I only got 10 at a goddamn national US Pokemon tournament and then found out there was more afterwards >.>
Yeah, you have to clear it. Huge problem over at PAX when we're just getting new hits like every minute. I jumped from 50 to 490 tags...

Firestorm

Dyno said:
I live in Toronto but have family who moved to Vancouver and Victoria. I've visited there dozens of times but I wouldn't want to live there.

If you're an outdoorsy person then Vancouver is attractive for the skiing, snowboarding and other mountain sports. Some people live for that stuff and if you do then you will enjoy living in Vancouver. It's also on the ocean and that can be nice if you're into that.

That said - and probably because of the above - Vancouver's night life is really tame. Their clubs are generic also-rans with no style of their own. They have excellent sushi restaurants but anything else is pretty forgettable. The overall culture and streetstyle is nothing like Toronto and aside from East Asians it's not all that ethnically diverse, which gives Toronto so many of its cool signature neighbourhoods.

I actually like Victoria more then Vancouver because it looks wealthier, their harbourfront is really nice (like Toronto's Queens Quay) and the weather on the island is much nicer than Vancouver. It's not as big as Vancouver but as I've said Vancouver as a city is pretty easy to walk away from.
It's going to depend on where you grew up. I can never see myself living downtown Toronto but I would love to move downtown Vancouver near the English Bay area. Obviously also going to depend on what areas you've visited of the city you don't live in. I definitely disagree with Vancouver being a city that's easy to walk away from as do most people I know who grew up there. The points you gave Toronto over Vancouver are even worse in Victoria by the way. It's known as the place you go to study and the place you go to die =P The reason it looks wealthier is that it's where people go after retirement. The "rich" part of Vancouver is the western side and the municipality of West Vancouver on the north shore.

Our European immigration is definitely lower than Toronto's. Most of our population is East and South Asian giving us less of the neighbourhoods you talked about. I'm not a club-person so maybe you're right on that too!

Obviously, I love Toronto best of all since it's my home but I hope people don't take this too much into a Canadian city vs city discussion because I think there are great things about Vancouver and Montreal as well.
I'm sure each of the three cities serves a certain type of person well so there is no need put them down.

The Take Out Bandit said:
I'm back in cleveland now. What a bummer. I'll miss you packs of cyclists, trash cans with foot pedals to operate, plentiful recycling options, and abundant sexy ladies! ;_;

Come back anytime! :)
My wife is from the States and a lot of my friends too. Toronto seems to collect a lot of the best Americans that want to move somewhere new.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The reason I would never live in Vancouver, despite my love for (and growing up on) the west coast, is the cost of buying a house. Even Toronto has some $300k-range two bedroom bungalows with a small yard on transit lines. You'd have to nearly triple the price in GVRD, and you're looking at a commute from further out. An older one bedroom would be one of our only solutions, and then having to find a one allowing large dogs.

And then of course, you'll need an employer that supports the markups you'll be facing. :/

added_time said:
Obviously, I love Toronto best of all since it's my home but I hope people don't take this too much into a Canadian city vs city discussion because I think there are great things about Vancouver and Montreal as well.
I'm sure each of the three cities serves a certain type of person well so there is no need put them down.

Agreeing with this. We had a Toronto vs. Other Canadian cities discussion already. But it always crops up from time to time because people feel the need to defend where they come from. Remember, just be glad we don't live in Cleveland! (sorry, The Take Out Bandit)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
EvilMario said:
Agreeing with this. We had a Toronto vs. Other Canadian cities discussion already. But it always crops up from time to time because people feel the need to defend where they come from. Remember, just be glad we don't live in Cleveland! (sorry, The Take Out Bandit)
Or Hamilton. Come on, you were all thinking it. :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Fuzzy said:
Or Hamilton. Come on, you were all thinking it. :p

I don't know. At least the few downtown strips in Hamilton have stores and it's clean. I'd rather live there than Windsor. :p

I better hurry up and find some Toronto news, or the thread will degrade into 'find the armpit of Canada' thread!

The new census results are going to be released in February. The 2006 population of Toronto was 2,503,281 so I'm curious how much it will have changed since then.
It certainty feels like more people are living downtown since then but I wonder if those people are just moving from other parts of the city or not.

Cities like Detroit and Chicago have lost population over the past five years whereas cities like New York and Austin have increased in population. I think Toronto will trend like the latter.

I'm going to try guessing and say the population will have increased by 100,000.

(I find statistics fascinating) <---NERD

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
added_time said:
The new census results are going to be released in February. The 2006 population of Toronto was 2,503,281 so I'm curious how much it will have changed since then.
It certainty feels like more people are living downtown since then but I wonder if those people are just moving from other parts of the city or not.

Cities like Detroit and Chicago have lost population over the past five years whereas cities like New York and Austin have increased in population. I think Toronto will trend like the latter.

I'm going to try guessing and say the population will have increased by 100,000.

Well, Toronto has more in common with east coast American cities than the rest of the 'Rust Belt'. We've haven't experienced the mass exodus from downtown, like Hamilton, Cleveland, Buffalo, and Detroit have. Manufacturing was an important industry in the city, but we had others avenues to fall back on. The rest of the region are recovering from decades old problems. We've long since moved on.

Regarding growth; Given that well over a third (some years over 40%)of all immigrants land in the GTA, I'd say it's safe to assume our population will be the one of the largest increase by number (and very high % for the large cities). And Toronto is still in a condo building boom, giving people plenty of places to live. I'm not sure if I can 'feel' there are more people, but it's just a safe assumption.

Other population centres around the GTA will continue to expand as well. Brampton always seem like the hottest spot on the west end.

Roto13

I was born in Newfoundland and have lived in downtown Vancouver and currently live in downtown Toronto. Toronto is much bigger and has a lot more going on than Vancouver, but Vancouver is much prettier and has infinitely nicer summers. Ideally, I'd live in Vancouver during the summer and Toronto for the rest of the year. (Yes, I'd rather have a few months of snow than nine or ten months of rain.)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
added_time said:

What were the previous increases in population?

Roto13

Firestorm said:
I jest when I say Toronto sucks so hopefully people don't take that too seriously ;D I do prefer Vancouver for sure but I'd rather live in Toronto than most other cities!

Also you guys are officially more expensive to live in than Vancouver as of last month!!!
http://business.financialpost.com/2011/07/12/toronto-tops-vancouver-on-most-expensive-cities-list/

It doesn't rain that much Roto come on :(
It rains that much. It's insane. It really sucks in the fall when the leaves fall and it rains for two weeks straight so you're walking on sludge. Blech.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Firestorm said:
I jest when I say Toronto sucks so hopefully people don't take that too seriously ;D I do prefer Vancouver for sure but I'd rather live in Toronto than most other cities!

Also you guys are officially more expensive to live in than Vancouver as of last month!!!
http://business.financialpost.com/2011/07/12/toronto-tops-vancouver-on-most-expensive-cities-list/

It doesn't rain that much Roto come on :(

Cost of living year to year might be less, but I can't even afford the upfront cost of buying in Vancouver to make it realistic. I do long for mountains and redwoods though. ;_;

Fuzzy said:
What were the previous increases in population?

Looking it up, it was a pretty small increase from 2001-2006. 2,481,494 to 2,503,281. The rest of the GTA absorbed most of the immigration numbers. I'm curious about what the increase will be this time around, with the large number of residential towers going up.

Hieberrr

Would anybody recommend going to a TFC game any time soon? I have a seller on hold for 2 tickets to the Rapids game. I don't really care about MLS, but I do want to experience it at least once, especially at BMO field. I'm more of a Bundesliga (German league) fan... but soccer is soccer :D

Is it worth it for $80/pair?

Hieberrr said:
Would anybody recommend going to a TFC game any time soon? I have a seller on hold for 2 tickets to the Rapids game. I don't really care about MLS, but I do want to experience it at least once, especially at BMO field. I'm more of a Bundesliga (German league) fan... but soccer is soccer :D

Is it worth it for $80/pair?

I am the biggest TFC fan in the world. The atmosphere has died a lot since the first seasons with a lot of empty seats now. They've sucked for so long that a lot of people have given up.
Not me though.
The supporters are in the south corner so I would suggest sitting (standing) in the south end or in sections 110 or 111 if you can get tickets in those places.

The standard of soccer in MLS is a lot lower than European leagues but improving a lot every year.

In fact, since you are a Bundesliga fan, I'll point out that TFC signed Torsten Frings and we have him for the next 2 seasons. He is the best player on the team by far obviously.

Azih

Firestorm said:
This was more on my last visit at the beginning of the month. August 7th. Was staying at Le Meridian King Edward. We walked from around there (King & Yonge-ish) down to Front and half the places we came across were closed Sundays :( I was starting to think Torontonians don't eat on Sunday? Y'all are inhuman!
That's pretty much ground zero financial district. Place kinda shuts down over the weekend.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Azih said:
That's pretty much ground zero financial district. Place kinda shuts down over the weekend.

It's true, most tourist won't leave the core to actually see the city. Neighborhoods like the Annex, Roncesvalles, the Beaches, and the Danforth are much more lively on the weekend and after office hours during the week. And you actually get the chance to take in the city that residents live in.

There's a lot of green space outside of the immediate core that goes undiscovered by residents and tourist alike. David A Balfour Park at St Clair and Yonge is an amazing ravine, as is the slightly busier Cedarvale, and the quieter west end of High Park.

I mean, sure, Yonge St and Eaton are always busy too, but I'd rather not spend too much time there.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Bwaha.

YhuJ9.jpg

Source: http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1046381--win-lunch-with-doug-ford?bn=1

Hoping to “raise awareness of the benefits of lower taxes,” the Toronto Taxpayers Coalition has launched an online essay contest with Councillor Doug Ford as the grand prize.

The entry must start with: “Lower taxes are good for Toronto because ___ ___ ____ ___.”

Alternatively, contestants can submit a 2 minute video entry to qualify.

The taxpayer coalition contest is clearly a dig at the Toronto Public Library Workers Union , which last week unveiled their own “Why My Library Matters to Me” contest. The prize: quality time with Margaret Atwood or one of nine other notable Canadian authors.

“We are excited about the opportunity to hear from the silent majority of Torontonians who know that lower taxes are better for Toronto's economy,” Matthew McGuire, Toronto Taxpayer Coalition's President, said in a statement.

You can submit your entry at www.torontotaxpayer.ca.

Contest winner gets lunch with the mayor’s brother.

The coalition’s press release did not indicate who will be paying for the meal.

I'd love for the NFL to come to Toronto but I wouldn't build the new stadium in the city. Use Rogers Centre until a new city can be built outside the city. This seems like a terrible idea.

DoctorWho said:
I'd love for the NFL to come to Toronto but I wouldn't build the new stadium in the city. Use Rogers Centre until a new city can be built outside the city. This seems like a terrible idea.

Don't worry, it won't get built. The Fords will go on about how it won't cost taxpayers a dime, the private sector will gladly pay for everything! Which, of course, won't happen, just like the Sheppard subway extension.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
DoctorWho said:

Rogers Centre IS a football stadium after all. If we're building anything sports related, let's make it an actual baseball stadium please. There are also many gorgeous parks in MLB, and we're stuck with this. :/

But I think the Ford's single track mind is what is most disturbing. There's no public outcry for this movement, and it seems like they would divert any resource required if the NFL actually did want to move here on a permanent basis.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
EvilMario said:
Rogers Centre IS a football stadium after all. If we're building anything sports related, let's make it an actual baseball stadium please. There are also many gorgeous parks in MLB, and we're stuck with this. :/

I agree with this, I'm tired of looking at that concrete jungle and getting depressed.

Give the Jays a sexy new ballpark!

Top Bottom