• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

I find it hilarious, and disturbing, that the Ford Brothers want to build a mall. Don't they remember that their home ward in Etobicoke is littered with dead and dying malls? Perhaps they should do something about those dumps first.

Vhalyar said:
Has anyone been to the 360 (restaurant) at the CN Tower? How was the food?

The food is ok but not even half as good as the price would suggest. However, I've had 2 excellent dates up there because of the great view.

ZZMitch

EvilMario said:
Which direction are you coming from? Taking two days for the drive, I take it? I love cross country driving.

I have been driving from southern Maine and coming to Toronto through New York. Staying in a hotel in Buffalo at the moment. I went to see Niagara Falls today, it was beautiful!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Firestorm said:
Last day of work. Leaving tonight. It's been kinda nice experiencing Ontario =) Never been so close to the centre of the universe before ;D You all are great and I'm a little sad I didn't get to meet more of you before leaving!
TO>Van city
Leafs>Canucks
Take that lesson, and go, my son!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
ZZMitch said:
I have been driving from southern Maine and coming to Toronto through New York. Staying in a hotel in Buffalo at the moment. I went to see Niagara Falls today, it was beautiful!

It's too late to tell you this now, but; cross the border early. Especially on a long weekend like this, by 10:00am it'll be busy. I recommend Queenston/Lewiston Bridge (north of the falls).

Vhalyar said:
Has anyone been to the 360 (restaurant) at the CN Tower? How was the food?

I haven't seen my dad in over a year since he lives in France and can't really travel often, but he's finally coming over in October and I really want to have a great meal with him in Toronto before we set off on our little trip. The view is most likely nice, but if it's offset by crappy food...

Otherwise any suggestions for a nice, memorable restaurant?

Like others have said food is average at best, you're better off going to somewhere like Canoe restaurant - 54th floor TD bank tower. Consistently listed as one of the best restaurants in T.O. Great view, prices are about the same. Down side... they're closed on weekends

http://www.oliverbonacini.com/Canoe.aspx

lunarworks said:
I find it hilarious, and disturbing, that the Ford Brothers want to build a mall. Don't they remember that their home ward in Etobicoke is littered with dead and dying malls? Perhaps they should do something about those dumps first.
Nonono. Mega Mall. Those malls aren't big enough, that's why they're failing.

I'm trying to buy Tiff tix for my sister who is out of town........I had no idea there would be a virtual waiting room of 2 hours lol, ugh

My sis is 25, so I can get her the 25 and under tickets right? Even though I'm buying them and I'm over 25?

Dr.Acula

Banned
Oh man, that was the worst. I'm definitely buying a package next year. The line-up is usually about 4hrs, 6 at the worst, this year was over 7.

Went by the Eaton Centre. That new food court, I dunno. The tableware was nice, it really looks like ceramic, but it's actually a light-weight plastic. Still a food court, the food is just average.

Magnus

Dr.Acula said:
Oh man, that was the worst. I'm definitely buying a package next year. The line-up is usually about 4hrs, 6 at the worst, this year was over 7.

Went by the Eaton Centre. That new food court, I dunno. The tableware was nice, it really looks like ceramic, but it's actually a light-weight plastic. Still a food court, the food is just average.

Had the butter chicken meal at Amaya, the new Indian place there. Slow fucking service (they were all so clueless), but man, was it ever tasty and awesome.

ZZMitch

EvilMario said:
It's too late to tell you this now, but; cross the border early. Especially on a long weekend like this, by 10:00am it'll be busy. I recommend Queenston/Lewiston Bridge (north of the falls).

My great aunt who is from Toronto told me exactly the same thing :p But thanks! I am staying
south of the campus right now and am moving in tomorrow morning.

cbox

really scary storm in mississauga today - thought a tornado had gone down my street because half the trees in my backyard are now down :(

Have never seen winds that strong, and I've been in florida around hurricane season...

ConvenientBox said:
really scary storm in mississauga today - thought a tornado had gone down my street because half the trees in my backyard are now down :(

Have never seen winds that strong, and I've been in florida around hurricane season...
It's possible.

The storm lasted about 10 minutes in Scarborough, nothing like the one a couple of weeks ago.

ConvenientBox said:

Woah. Where in Mississauga?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Dr.Acula said:

Wife waited 8 hours apparently

Takao

Banned
SpaceBridge said:
Anyone know where I can pick up some Transformers toys other than the usual places (ie: TRU, Walmart, Silver Snail).?

AnimeXtreme in Spadina get a bunch of the US releases (no tri-lingual packaging) a month or two before Canada gets them. Do note, they do bump up prices for that luxury.

Takao said:
AnimeXtreme in Spadina get a bunch of the US releases (no tri-lingual packaging) a month or two before Canada gets them. Do note, they do bump up prices for that luxury.

I picked up some of the figures from the Classics line at FanExpo and now Im on the hunt for more. Such awesome figures. Dont wanna derail the thread but arent they lovely:

fpimage.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I feel ya bro. I bought my fair share at Fanexpo too. Mostly Gundam models kits tho, but yeah Anime Extreme is probably your best bet in TO.

Quick

Banned
Divvy said:
I feel ya bro. I bought my fair share at Fanexpo too. Mostly Gundam models kits tho, but yeah Anime Extreme is probably your best bet in TO.

AnimeXtreme is good. After stumbling into it thanks to this thread, I made it a point to come by when time allows it to buy a Gundam or two. AnimeXtreme's Gundam stock > everything, including Silver Snail.

Divvy said:

Picked up a Rodimus and Cyclonus two pack from the Hasbro stand at Fanexpo, and then a Kup and Cyclonus from another vendor. Today I picked up Blurr, Soundwave and Megatron from Walmart. I think I got bit by the Transformers bug again. Its been 2-3 years since i picked up some new toys. lol.

So I checked out Animextreme, but didnt find many Transformers toys other than the movie line. Anyone else know where I go on the hunt to? Was thinking of checking out 401Games on yonge.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
401 Games carries plenty of toys, but I'm not sure if they'll have exactly what you're looking for. They have a website, but it doesn't offer much in the way of information. A lot of the ol' comic shops on Yonge St, that also had plenty of figures, have closed up.

http://www.401games.ca

EvilMario said:
401 Games carries plenty of toys, but I'm not sure if they'll have exactly what you're looking for. They have a website, but it doesn't offer much in the way of information. A lot of the ol' comic shops on Yonge St, that also had plenty of figures, have closed up.

http://www.401games.ca

Someone told me that Silver Snail is closing too, anyone heard this rumour?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
SpaceBridge said:
Someone told me that Silver Snail is closing too, anyone heard this rumour?

Apparently they're just changing location to the Annex, or so I've heard.

Here's the article from back in April. I hope they move to Bloor around Bathurst. The Labyrinth is a great little shop there that imports a bunch of illustrated books, manga, and nerdy toys (like Dr Who). It would mesh perfectly with Silver Snail.

Stet

Banned
EvilMario said:
Apparently they're just changing location to the Annex, or so I've heard.
Yeah, the guy that owned the business also owned the building and now he's getting out and selling the business to the manager or something, but in no way would they be able to afford rent there. So they're going to compete with The Beguiling for some reason and Queen St. can get another Gap.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
He could just move down the street a bit. West of Spadina (and even further west of Bathurst), there's quite a bit of space for rent; both retail and office. Property owners would rather sit with empty stores and offices for months (or years) than lower prices though. It's sort of silly. Yonge St has suffered a similar fate in some spots, but I see quite a few of the 'holes' being filled up in the last few months.

There's really nothing left for me now on Queen east of Spadina. It's a nice, clean neighborhood, but I don't have a reason to visit. :/

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
On another topic; I might be moving to the Beach(es) soon if my new job pans out. It'll give me an excuse to live in one of my favorite neighborhoods in the city. The one trouble is tenants have been spreading bedbugs like mad in the low rise buildings in the area. It's even worse than downtown, per number of buildings.

We could just end up looking for a bungalow closer to Leslieville as well. There use to be a larger number of rent, but if you hunt, you can still dig up some what affordable small bungalows in the $1,200-$1,300 range.

Stet

Banned
EvilMario said:
He could just move down the street a bit. West of Spadina (and even further west of Bathurst), there's quite a bit of space for rent; both retail and office. Property owners would rather sit with empty stores and offices for months (or years) than lower prices though. It's sort of silly. Yonge St has suffered a similar fate in some spots, but I see quite a few of the 'holes' being filled up in the last few months.

There's really nothing left for me now on Queen east of Spadina. It's a nice, clean neighborhood, but I don't have a reason to visit. :/
I work on John so I kind of have to be there. It's becoming an awful area, boring and predictable. We'll see what the "Fresh Food Market" moving into the St. Patrick Market building will bring though.

EvilMario said:
On another topic; I might be moving to the Beach(es) soon if my new job pans out. It'll give me an excuse to live in one of my favorite neighborhoods in the city. The one trouble is tenants have been spreading bedbugs like mad in the low rise buildings in the area. It's even worse than downtown, per number of buildings.

We could just end up looking for a bungalow closer to Leslieville as well. There use to be a larger number of rent, but if you hunt, you can still dig up some what affordable small bungalows in the $1,200-$1,300 range.

Bedbugs is pretty bad in my neighborhood too. Everyday I see more mattresses being put out to the curb and makes me wonder, what should you do if you find them? And how do you avoid them?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
They're tough to rid yourself of, because they can survive come sprays used for things like silverfish, roaches, etc. And many landlords in this city don't actually go out of their way to fix the problem. They just want to give the impression that 'well, i tried'. Heat is apparently the one thing that really, really kills them (45-50c apparently in under 5 minutes). But it's a pain and costly. Plus they can live in furniture, tiles, cracks in wood, the walls.

It doesn't help that people like to collect junk from the street corner. It's pretty dangerous though when you consider you might end up with bedbugs, and just continue the spread.

I have thankfully never had to deal with bedbugs, and I hope http://bedbugregistry.com/ keeps me that way.

Firestorm

AlphaTwo00 said:
Random question out of the blue: how did the Toronto meetup go?
Met up with isny, Lostconfused, bombshack, and Quadratic along with two of my friends. Was fun =)

And man I'm so jaded and tired of school. I can't even remember what I need to do to prepare for class. I realized I should look up what room I'm in at least. One semester left...

Vhalyar

added_time said:
The food is ok but not even half as good as the price would suggest. However, I've had 2 excellent dates up there because of the great view.
Stet said:
The food isn't crappy, but it's a tourist trap. Very, very expensive for the quality of the meal and I'd probably rate it mediocre. It's all about the view, really.
Luscious LeftFoot said:
Like others have said food is average at best, you're better off going to somewhere like Canoe restaurant - 54th floor TD bank tower. Consistently listed as one of the best restaurants in T.O. Great view, prices are about the same. Down side... they're closed on weekends

http://www.oliverbonacini.com/Canoe.aspx

I decided to scrap the 360 plans, might as well splurge elsewhere for better food. Canoe was my first choice, but like you said they're closed on weekends and the one day my dad will be in Toronto... is a Saturday. I put down a reservation at l'Auberge du Pommier; reviews put it on par with Canoe and it looks like pretty nice.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
EvilMario said:
They're tough to rid yourself of, because they can survive come sprays used for things like silverfish, roaches, etc. And many landlords in this city don't actually go out of their way to fix the problem. They just want to give the impression that 'well, i tried'. Heat is apparently the one thing that really, really kills them (45-50c apparently in under 5 minutes). But it's a pain and costly. Plus they can live in furniture, tiles, cracks in wood, the walls.

It doesn't help that people like to collect junk from the street corner. It's pretty dangerous though when you consider you might end up with bedbugs, and just continue the spread.

I have thankfully never had to deal with bedbugs, and I hope http://bedbugregistry.com/ keeps me that way.

I have, last year in Ottawa. It was one of the worst four months of my life. It isn't the physical toll that it takes on you, but the psychological one. It's impossible to sleep well knowing you're sharing your bed with parasites like them. I got rid of them finally by taking a militant approach, caulking, using tape to trap them and buying bed leg interceptors. After I got rid of them, I moved the hell away from that building as fast I could.

I have to say that even if you don't have them, you should take precautions if you live in a problematic neighbourhood or building. In my case, we didn't bring them in, they climbed up the walls from the unit below. If your building has this problem, I HIGHLY suggest you get a caulk gun and seal your floors and walls. It's a tiny amount of effort that will save you months of pain and misery.

Vhalyar said:
I decided to scrap the 360 plans, might as well splurge elsewhere for better food. Canoe was my first choice, but like you said they're closed on weekends and the one day my dad will be in Toronto... is a Saturday. I put down a reservation at l'Auberge du Pommier; reviews put it on par with Canoe and it looks like pretty nice.

You can also look into Toula @ westin harbour castle. http://www.toularestaurant.com/.
Can't comment on the food, i've only been there once for summerlicious and it was wack. But the view is nice and I assume the regular menu is pretty decent.

L'Auberge du Pommier is expensive as hell, but the food is amazing. I had the chef tasting menu last time I was there.

Firestorm said:
Met up with isny, Lostconfused, bombshack, and Quadratic along with two of my friends. Was fun =)
Yeah we also wandered around the FanExpo with isny the next day. And spend about an hour at a weird branch of le trois brasseurs in toronto before he went back to Ottawa. All in all I think it was a rather good way to spend my weekend.

krae_man

Where did summer go? I saw white stuff falling from the sky on my way to work this morning. I have a long sleeve shirt on right now.

Top Bottom