• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Holmes

I come back for school after summer and it's been grey skies all week. :(

elty said:
Well it is pretty much Ford Mk2 vs Taxman.... great selection there!
d640abf24773a162179332c0a8c5.jpeg

(although I'm from northern Ontario, and won't be voting in any Toronto riding... NDP makes most sense for the north)

StevieP

Banned
elty said:
Well it is pretty much Ford Mk2 vs Taxman.... great selection there!

I do NOT like the HST. A lot of the other things McG has done, however, have been great. Kickstarting a green economy is a great thing, for instance, and *actually* creates sustainable, quality jobs. Something that simply cutting corporate taxes (as per NDP) will not do despite right-wing rhetoric to the contrary.

cbox

that or delivery trucks... but still - you'd have to be dumb to drive through there. Someone new here, sure but come on.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I always see the intersection full up, even before the change to a scramble. Streetcars obviously don't help matters, and plenty of people that come into the city just take Yonge because it a through street they know.

I'm sure plenty of people brainlessly take it for their daily commute too. It's usually so busy though, I get off on the stop before Bay St (while riding the streetcar) and walk to Yonge much faster.

Just got back from a week long vacation in Chicago. I had a great time but it feels great to be home!
I love vacations because I have tons of fun exploring other cities but I also always come back with even more appreciation for my home.
I ♥ Toronto.

krae_man

I want that stupid health tax removed. Adjust the tax brackets so you get the same amount of money from me and more from rich people instead of capping it at $1200 or whatever it is.

Get rid of that stupid thing. You only created it to claim you didn't break your "I won't raise taxes" promise.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news...head+Ontario+election+poll/5357349/story.html

Only two months ago, Premier Dalton McGuinty's Liberal Party was poised for a devastating defeat at the hands of Hudak's Tories. Now, with election day only five weeks away, the two leaders are ``neck and neck,'' according to a new poll by Toronto-based pollster Forum Research.

With PC support at 35% to the Liberals' 30%, if Ontarians went to the polls tomorrow, Hudak would only clinch a narrow victory over the Liberals to lead a minority government.

By Canada Day, the Tories held an approval rating of 41%. With Liberal approval running at 22%, it was more than enough for the Tories to clinch a decisive majority victory.

So, since Canada Day the Conservatives are -6% and the Liberals are +8%. Why? Oh yeah...

In March, Toronto Mayor Rob Ford was even threatening to mobilize ``Ford Nation'' against McGuinty. ``If he's not helping out the city then I have no choice but to work against him,'' Ford told NewsTalk 1010 radio at the time.

Five months later, support for the Ontario Tories in Toronto has evaporated faster than it has anywhere else in the province. According to Bozinoff, much of it is a backlash against Ford. Cheered by a flood of new Conservative MPs elected in Toronto, the Ontario Progressive Conservatives assumed they would pick up at least a few new seats in the 416 area code.

``It doesn't look like they're going to win anything now,'' said Bozinoff.

9mQeD.jpg

Azih

I'm a signed up Dipper, but I really like how McGunity has operated in his last two terms. His working relationship with David Miller was full on awesome for Toronto, the Greenbelt, the Green energy investments, actually moving on shutting down coal plants. We should give credit where credit is due and McGunity's earned a lot of credit. The HST sucks but it makes sense and sure the tuition credits are an election promise buyoff but it's a good one. Post secondary is too damn expensive for students right now.

And god damn but Hudak is like Rob Ford combined with Mike Harris just with less smarts. And I like Howarth but McGunity is better.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Kunohara

Heads up for anyone driving on the 401 westbound this weekend. That construction after the 400 where it only goes to 2 lanes is going to be 1 lane from 10pm today till 5am on Monday. i would suggest avoiding driving in that area during the weekend.

winjet81

EvilMario said:
I always see the intersection full up, even before the change to a scramble. Streetcars obviously don't help matters, and plenty of people that come into the city just take Yonge because it a through street they know.

I'm sure plenty of people brainlessly take it for their daily commute too. It's usually so busy though, I get off on the stop before Bay St (while riding the streetcar) and walk to Yonge much faster.

The problem with the Toronto scrambles is that they are not implemented correctly. In the rest of the world, pedestrians are ONLY allowed to cross when the scramble is on... when traffic is flowing, pedestrians must stay put, allowing drivers to easily complete right turns (or left turns in Britain and Japan) when they have a green light.

If cars could make these turns easily, the scrambles would be fine and clowns like Minnan-Wong could find some other non-issue to nitpick.

Kunohara said:
Heads up for anyone driving on the 401 westbound this weekend. That construction after the 400 where it only goes to 2 lanes is going to be 1 lane from 10pm today till 5am on Monday. i would suggest avoiding driving in that area during the weekend.
Heads up for everyone planning on driving in Toronto this weekend: it's the Toronto Weekend to End Women's Cancers, the marathon/walkathon/whateverathon that takes over main, suburban, and intermediary streets both Saturday and Sunday.

Best just not to drive at all.

Kinitari said:
Anyone know if this is legit? I mean... the source may not be completely without bias.

City to shut down public services on specific day and exact location of planned protest
If by "legitimate" you mean "it really will happen" then probably. It's certainly been ordered by parks and rec.

It's not uncommon for parks and rec officials to shut down programming if they're anticipating a big other event, positive (ie wedding) or negative (ie protest). Annoying as it is for those registered, it's easier to do than deal with a clusterf**k of people who are there for many reasons wanting a thousand different things.

BladeWorker said:
Heads up for everyone planning on driving in Toronto this weekend: it's the Toronto Weekend to End Women's Cancers, the marathon/walkathon/whateverathon that takes over main, suburban, and intermediary streets both Saturday and Sunday.

Damn and I just recently picked up a new ride. :(

BladeWorker said:

TTC Day Pass tomorrow, then.

I'd rather not drive downtown, anyway.

whitehawk said:
This is probably my fault. It's frosh this week for UofT, and we sat in the middle during a scramble, but we took too long and held up traffic for a bit.
You weren't the first frosh to do it, and you won't be the last. Most Torontonians who spend any amount of time in the city are used to it by now.

whitehawk said:
Whatever, we closed down bloor street today. uft > ryerson
As an 0T7 grad I agree with your conclusion, but as for the premise? That would only really get you street cred if y'all did it without parade permits.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
News this morning as the city has to make a decision on the budget cuts soon: ity Manager will recommend today selling Toronto's 3 theatres - Sony, St. Lawrence and TAC in North York and Riverdale Farm, Toronto Zoo and smaller Centre Island and High Park Zoos for closure. Source: Toronto Sun

It's just a 'recommendation', and the actual vote comes later.

Epic Tales of Penis said:
Whereabouts in EY?

Looks like it's well east, toward Laird.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
EvilMario said:
No wonder I haven't heard about it, being tucked away in East York. Will try when I'm near Yonge and Eglinton.
Yeah it has real Japanese people unlike most places which have Chinese or Korean 'chefs'

StevieP

Banned
typo said:
Every suggestion has been a terribad idea. Every one of them.

Sure, but some are worse than others obviously. Culling 500 cops is a horrific idea, but we know it's going to happen.

The Toronto Zoo has been an icon of this city for decades, I just... don't think it's a particularly good idea to take it off city-owned list.

Well, I've got half my foot out the door towards Montreal. This should be fun...

Seriously. Late night bus cuts? I've worked Sunday mornings before downtown, and getting downtown is damn impossible with so little bus service already. This city doesn't deserve to be "world class" if we can't even get transit right.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So many social service cuts, and bus cuts.. those are going to hit the poor the hardest. As a transit only-user, I never like to hear about cuts. 501 Streetcar better stay 24/7.

StevieP

Banned
Section from the Star article:

Among Pennachetti’s additional suggestions:

Clearing snow from city streets at a “minimum standard,” and reducing the level of snow-clearing and grass-cutting in city parks.

• Eliminating the windrow-clearing program, in which snow deposited by snow plows at the end of residents’ driveways is cleared by a second plow. Councillors have long bickered over the program, which only serves North York, Etobicoke and Scarborough. Pennachetti suggested that it be replaced by a program for seniors and the disabled.

• Considering eliminating or reducing a program that provides dental care to the poor.

• Eliminating the Christmas Bureau, which helps non-city organizations, such as the Star’s Santa Claus Fund, distribute gifts to needy children.

• No longer giving out four free garbage tags.

• Eliminating community grants of less than $10,000, and to programs where the grant amounts to less than 5 per cent of the budget. This includes both small community groups and major entities like the Toronto International Film Festival, which receives an $800,000 grant — 2 per cent of a $33 million budget.

• Eliminating Community Environment Days. Mayor Rob Ford attended one last week.

• No longer picking up animals from owners who want to surrender them.

• Reducing the level of “proactive investigation and enforcement” done by licensing staff.

• Attempting to sell, lease, or come to some other new arrangement at three city arts facilities: the Sony Centre, the St. Lawrence Centre for the Arts and the Toronto Centre for the Performing Arts.

• Closing the city museums with the lowest attendance.

Pennachetti also suggested no longer requiring police officers to work “paid duty” at construction sites “where possible.” The paid duty program was scrutinized by the city’s auditor earlier in the year.

Pennachetti recommended that city staff conduct further study of some of KPMG’s major suggestions. These include the idea of integrating the fire and paramedic departments and selling or transferring most of the city’s nursing homes.

Council must approve any cuts. And it is far from certain that even Ford’s executive committee will adopt all of Pennachetti’s recommendations when it meets to discuss them next Monday.

Ford has already distanced himself from Pennachetti’s suggestion on grants. On Friday morning, the Star revealed that Pennachetti’s recommendations would mean cuts of more than $6 million in annual funding to major arts organizations, including TIFF and the National Ballet of Canada.

But, in apparent bid at damage control as arts leaders started to rally against the cuts, Ford’s policy chief Mark Towhey said Friday afternoon that the mayor’s office is developing a new plan to save the grants.

Pennachetti has asked all departments to cut their budgets by 10 per cent. The police and fire departments are warning they'll have to lay off hundreds of front-line officers if they are held to those cuts.

Top Bottom