• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
added_time said:
No kidding. That would have been a kick in the groin to all the people living in Scarborough. I relied on those buses for years back when I used to live there.

The cuts don't sound so bad so far.. I wonder if the strategy was to say you will cut everything and then when it comes down to it and you only cut a few things, it won't sound as bad.

Yeah, I go downtown to hang with a lot of friends who live there, or go out dancing. I don't want to spend 60+ bucks on a cab to trek it back to Scarborough.

And the cuts so far seem so absolutely minuscule, it is insulting. These aren't meaningful cuts financially, but they do hurt a few people. Luckily it doesn't seem like it's soooo bad, but it doesn't mean that it's any good.

Stet

Banned
Kinitari said:
And the cuts so far seem so absolutely minuscule, it is insulting. These aren't meaningful cuts financially, but they do hurt a few people. Luckily it doesn't seem like it's soooo bad, but it doesn't mean that it's any good.
Yeah, I'm curious to see how much of a dent this actually puts in the shortfall. I can't imagine it's much.

Dyno

crazy monkey said:
I have no problem with paid police officer cut. It is useless and they get paid a lot.

I'm actually surprised that plum perk got axed in a Ford administration. Miller never went against the cops and he didn't like Fantino at all. It's a good cut thought, I always thought it was a joke for paid duty officers to be hanging around construction sites. They never did anything but chat up the workers.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Dyno said:
I'm actually surprised that plum perk got axed in a Ford administration. Miller never went against the cops and he didn't like Fantino at all. It's a good cut thought, I always thought it was a joke for paid duty officers to be hanging around construction sites. They never did anything but chat up the workers.
The only thing that's been useful on sites I've worked on was when the cop was needed for directing traffic or blocking off the street for safety concerns when moving things. The contractors (either the general or the sub that needs it) should be paying for them any way.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Funny (sad?) article from Torontoist.

pBEhA.jpg

Department of Ironies: Toronto Kills Fort York Bridge, Then Awards It Toronto Design Award

On May 18, Toronto’s councillors decided to let the planned Fort York pedestrian and cycling bridge die. Last night they gave it a prize.

The Toronto Urban Design Awards “acknowledge the significant contribution that architects, landscape architects, urban designers, artists, design students, and city builders make to the look and livability of our city.” Awarded every other year, winners are selected by a jury of architects and urban designers; the City holds a ceremony (this year, at the Palais Royale) and the winning designs are exhibited at city centres and Toronto City Hall.

This made things somewhat awkward yesterday, when that jury of respected design professionals recognized the merits of the Fort York bridge. It was accorded an Award of Excellence, in fact, in the “vision and master plans” category. “The number and quality of this year’s nominated projects demonstrate a high level of sophistication and excellence in the design and construction of structures throughout the city,” said Councillor Peter Milczyn (Ward 5, Etobicoke Lakeshore).

Yes, he was one of those who voted the bridge down.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So they're killing some museums entirely? That's kind of a shame.

BladeWorker said:
Island ferry is free. You can transit to or take cab and access from the foot of Bathurst street. Free shuttle operates roughly every 15 minutes during flying times from the Royal York hotel, so easy access from Union stn.

And, free non-alcoholic beverages and snacks in the departure lounge. Complimentary alcohol on flights.
That sounds badass... and hey, TTC to the airport costs the same as TTC to the ferry... although I wish that god damned bridge was built (ugh, Miller).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
firehawk12 said:
So they're killing some museums entirely? That's kind of a shame.

That sounds badass... and hey, TTC to the airport costs the same as TTC to the ferry... although I wish that god damned bridge was built (ugh, Miller).

Part of the problem. Fare zones, TTC. Please.. every other city does it. And it will save you a ton of money. It shouldn't cost the same to go from Kipling to Kennedy as if it to go from St George to King. Use the old municipality borders as the zones. Traveling inside a single zone cost $2.00. Traveling in two zones cost $3.00. Three zones $4.00.

We talked about this before on here, but there's a misconception that poor people live in the suburbs like Etobicoke and Scarbough, but it's just not a true blanket statement. There are some of the poorest neighborhoods, right downtown, while there are plenty of millionaire neighborhoods in the far reaches. And visa versa.

Sorry to ramble on, but I'd just like to bring that up again. :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
ConvenientBox said:
hey man, i take the bus from the airport to bloor/yonge :(

Is it really unfair though? TTC is pretty archaic in many practices (and I'm not just talking about token booth collectors). Distance traveled should matter on the system. And I never understand why we don't have timed transfers. Many cities, once you pay your fare, you can jump off and on the system for an specific amount of time. So, you could hop on a streetcar, do a very quick grocery trip and still make it home.

These are all commonly used practices and for the most part, they make sense.

cbox

oh don't get me wrong, they do in some circumstances. Though it does make things a bit more confusing and would require a giant redesign of the system - but It'd cost me so much more to get to work lol. Our system is pretty small compared to other cities, so distance on those others systems makes more sense. I mean we have two major lines and that's it.

I think they should implement timed transfers first, Mississauga transit has done it since I can remember and it's great.

Stet

Banned
EvilMario said:
Part of the problem. Fare zones, TTC. Please.. every other city does it. And it will save you a ton of money. It shouldn't cost the same to go from Kipling to Kennedy as if it to go from St George to King. Use the old municipality borders as the zones. Traveling inside a single zone cost $2.00. Traveling in two zones cost $3.00. Three zones $4.00.
It's a good proposal but I'm entirely lost as to how it would be enforced.

ElNino

EvilMario said:
We talked about this before on here, but there's a misconception that poor people live in the suburbs like Etobicoke and Scarbough, but it's just not a true blanket statement. There are some of the poorest neighborhoods, right downtown, while there are plenty of millionaire neighborhoods in the far reaches. And visa versa.

Sorry to ramble on, but I'd just like to bring that up again. :p
Etobicoke has some very expensive neighborhoods. I rented a townhouse in Etobicoke for a couple of years before we decided to buy a house. We very quickly came to the conclusion that we could not afford to buy there and decided to go east to Durham.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Stet said:
But would you pay when you exit, or ... ?

That would be ideal. Like in San Francisco, BART spits out refillable tickets / transfer cards when you pay. You load it up with a set amount of money. You swipe when you go in and you swipe when you go out. And it takes out the correct amount depending on where you boarded and where you exit. Using this sort of system, you could have really varied fares from station to station. And the refillable tickets are great.

Or you could go a more Vancouver / GO Transit route, where the system is Proof of Payment using random checks. And the number TTC employees in stations checking tokens / transfers all day would be cut. You wouldn't need to overhaul the payment system in that case.

TTC is so incredibly far behind the times, and we pay a very high price for it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Zone travel within the existing TTC seems kind of silly. At least for the subway, since it's not like the trains turn around or anything. Maybe if they had express trains that run from Kennedy to Bloor and Bloor to Kipling (and the equivalent north/south routes), that might make more sense.

They do charge extra for bus routes that leave the city of Toronto, so there's that... and maybe if they wanted to charge extra for bus routes, I can kind of understand... although at that point, I would never, ever want to leave downtown since 5 bucks for a two way trip already feels kind of steep.

Anony

BigJonsson said:
Viva in York Region does the whole random check thing, I know people that have been fined lol
that system would not work in toronto, it's way too big, people make too many small stops (like from finch to bayview) for it to be enforced properly
and they'd have to hire a shitload of ttc police officers

the only way for it to change is to revamp the entire subway payment system to the kind evilmario is talking about, but instead of zones, you pay for the exact amount u traveled
ie, we need the octopus card (google hong kong, mtr, octopus card)

that is like, going to permanently fix the ttc, it is the future, but as of right now, the ttc is too poor to implement it, they're too busy putting halfbaked fixes that isnt going to evolve the system

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
firehawk12 said:
Zone travel within the existing TTC seems kind of silly. At least for the subway, since it's not like the trains turn around or anything. Maybe if they had express trains that run from Kennedy to Bloor and Bloor to Kipling (and the equivalent north/south routes), that might make more sense.

They do charge extra for bus routes that leave the city of Toronto, so there's that... and maybe if they wanted to charge extra for bus routes, I can kind of understand... although at that point, I would never, ever want to leave downtown since 5 bucks for a two way trip already feels kind of steep.

I don't know why that would be silly. Transit systems everywhere use this method to recoup expenses of people using the system to travel great distances. And thus, it could even save money for people that travel within their region. Almost all transportation methods require you to pay more if you're going further.

And of course, if they actually updated their method of collecting fares, they could save even more money to go along with it. People just freak out when they hear about zones because they think it'll be troubling to maintain, enforce and IT'S DIFFERENT. But take it from someone who's lived in a few cities when I say it's insane for the TTC to not be using some zoned fares, outside of traveling to York region.

Anony said:
that system would not work in toronto, it's way too big, people make too many small stops (like from finch to bayview) for it to be enforced properly

the only way for it to change is to revamp the entire subway payment system to the kind evilmario is talking about, but instead of zones, you pay for the exact amount u traveled

that is like, going to permanently fix the ttc, it is the future, but as of right now, the ttc is too poor to implement it, they're too busy putting halfbaked fixes that isnt going to evolve the system

Overhauling the fare system would be the best answer. You pay for how far you go. But Proof of Payment can work for a city this large. It already works in many cities I've been to across North America, and somehow the 501 Queen car which has POP hasn't bankrupted the TTC.

You don't have to enforce POP religiously. You do it sporadically, but enough to make people consensus that there are checks.

Anony said:

If we had turnstiles that were automated and fares were determined by card or ticket scans, instead of some dude eating chips in a booth, there would be no problem to speak of.

This is how many cities - London, for example - operate their systems.

Then again, every other transit system in the world isn't majority financed by fares. So there's evidently no political will to have mass transit here, nor has there really ever been.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
BladeWorker said:
If we had turnstiles that were automated and fares were determined by card or ticket scans, instead of some dude eating chips in a booth, there would be no problem to speak of.

This is how many cities - London, for example - operate their systems.

Then again, every other transit system in the world isn't majority financed by fares. So there's evidently no political will to have mass transit here, nor has there really ever been.

San Francisco as well. There's a person in the most popular BART stations (like on Market) to help tourist, but for the most part the system (and even the trains) are automated.

The TTC Union will fight automation of the system tooth and nail though. They won't openly embrace replacing worker's jobs with technology. It'll surely save money, but that's not the business they're in.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
EvilMario said:
I don't know why that would be silly. Transit systems everywhere use this method to recoup expenses of people using the system to travel great distances. And thus, it could even save money for people that travel within their region. Almost all transportation methods require you to pay more if you're going further.

And of course, if they actually updated their method of collecting fares, they could save even more money to go along with it. People just freak out when they hear about zones because they think it'll be troubling to maintain, enforce and IT'S DIFFERENT. But take it from someone who's lived in a few cities when I say it's insane for the TTC to not be using some zoned fares, outside of traveling to York region.

I just think it defeats the purpose of public transit by making it less accessible, not more. I mean, do you think fares within zones, however they are defined, will go down? I sure as hell don't.

Of course, if you were to say that we should tax drivers for driving into the city, then I'd be all for that I suppose. :lol:

cbox

I wouldn't take the TTC nor work downtown if zoned fares in came into play :(

Much is the reason I don't take the go train in every day... It's the union that's bleeding them dry and it should be cleaned up first, if ever.

firehawk12 said:
I just think it defeats the purpose of public transit by making it less accessible, not more. I mean, do you think fares within zones, however they are defined, will go down? I sure as hell don't.

Of course, if you were to say that we should tax drivers for driving into the city, then I'd be all for that I suppose. :lol:
Tolls are inappropriate considering that more than half the businesses in the city are operated by people who don't live in the 416. If you tax people to come in to work, and to leave work, or to patron those businesses in any way, those businesses will move to Mississauga.

Within a single fare zone, the fares would decrease. Second-fare zone would be the same. Third- or fourth-fare zone would be higher. (Alternately, you could operate it like GO and do it based on distance travelled - swipe on and off and your card is deducted accordingly. On second thought, this is a better option.)

Of course, that assumes a union that hasn't been declared an essential service, artificially preserving jobs that shouldn't exist and inflating salaries well above COLA increases. That's got to be the dumbest policy move I've ever seen in my lifetime. THE dumbest.

But again, we need transit funding that isn't 80% fares. That's the only way the TTC will ever be able to maintain or expand its infrastructure.

Personally, I think Metrolinx should just annex the whole damn thing and run a whole GTHA (GTA+Hamilton) integrated transit system. But that's just me. And I also loved the GO train. When I commuted from York Region, it was less expensive for me to buy a GO monthly for my line than it was for me to pay a double fare (VIVA/YRT+Metropass).

StevieP

Banned
Why all this middle-class infighting here? That's the last thing we need - and you can see many clear examples of how bad it is south of the border as a result. "Unions are bad" , "those jobs shouldn't exist" , "bleeding them dry" , etc.

Don't pick on those trying to eek out a living, whether they work for public or private interests. They're not the real issue in our society.

Stet

Banned
EvilMario said:
That would be ideal. Like in San Francisco, BART spits out refillable tickets / transfer cards when you pay. You load it up with a set amount of money. You swipe when you go in and you swipe when you go out. And it takes out the correct amount depending on where you boarded and where you exit. Using this sort of system, you could have really varied fares from station to station. And the refillable tickets are great.

Or you could go a more Vancouver / GO Transit route, where the system is Proof of Payment using random checks. And the number TTC employees in stations checking tokens / transfers all day would be cut. You wouldn't need to overhaul the payment system in that case.

TTC is so incredibly far behind the times, and we pay a very high price for it.

I could get behind this. Metro cards are really the most logical next step anyway.

cbox

StevieP said:
Why all this middle-class infighting here? That's the last thing we need - and you can see many clear examples of how bad it is south of the border as a result. "Unions are bad" , "those jobs shouldn't exist" , "bleeding them dry" , etc.

Don't pick on those trying to eek out a living, whether they work for public or private interests. They're not the real issue in our society.

I wouldn't consider 100k+ salaries eeking out a living.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
You guys want no cuts? Then you should just give the city more of your money!

Councillors want willing residents to pay more taxes

Members of Mayor Rob Ford’s inner circle have put forward an unusual proposition: allow willing Torontonians to pay more property taxes.

After many of the 205 residents who spoke at Monday’s marathon executive committee meeting said they would pay more taxes to prevent cuts – though it’s unlikely they meant small individual amounts – the committee recommended a “voluntary contribution option.”

“The executive committee recommends that city council request the city manager to report on options to add a voluntary contribution option to future property tax bills so taxpayers who are willing to make a larger contribution to fund city programs can easily do so,” the motion reads.

Apparently to make a point, committee member Denzil Minnan-Wong also suggested setting up a website to allow people who don’t own property to contribute, according to the Toronto Sun.

Monday’s 20-hour committee meeting, which ran through the night and ended around 5:30 a.m. Tuesday morning, addressed city manager Joe Pennachetti’s report recommending cuts proposed in KPMG's core service review.

At the beginning of the meeting, the mayor backed away from a plan to close public libraries – though he’s still open to reducing hours – and said subsidized childcare spaces would not be cut.

Ford has also promised to limit any property tax increase to 2.5 per cent.

Though the city has been claiming a $774-million shortfall in next year’s operating budget, Pennachetti suggested on Monday the figure is more likely between $500 and $600 million.
http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...lors-want-willing-residents-to-pay-more-taxes

You gotta love these people. :lol

cbox

StevieP said:
Yeah? How many ticket booth takers or bus drivers do you honestly believe are making over 100k?

I'm not talking about the ones doing the work, I'm talking about the execs who make the terrible decisions.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
StevieP said:

Because this is the Mayor 'the city' elected. Instead of listening to his campaign promises, they should have looked at his voting record and previous statements. He's a US minded conservative homophobic bigot who does want any level of government supplying social services. He thinks AIDs is a gay-only disease, and that immigrants bleed the city dry.

And I mean, all those services are taking money away from his NFL dream. And he only has three more years to achieve that!

After people discovered they fell for his gravy train campaign, and that 'gravy' really meant everything that makes Toronto a great city, his approval rating fell like a rock. And because there's no option to vote out a Mayor, we're probably looking at a stand still for another 3 years in the city rather than progress.

That said, some unions in the city do hold way too much power. TTC Union was already very powerful with their influence at City Hall, and then they were made an essential service.

StevieP said:
Yeah? How many ticket booth takers or bus drivers do you honestly believe are making over 100k?

In 2007 (numbers pulled from BlogTO, but looks like .gov has updated the numbers):

1. AWDHAN, CATERPAUL - $109,611.86 + $3,010.91
2. BARNHOUSE, ELKE - $102,731.27 + $2,793.31
3. BARREIRO, CANDIDO - $104,246.94 + $2,437.21
4. BOVE, ANGELO - $106,071.39 + $2,437.21
5. CHADWICK, GLENN - $105,900.59 + $2,052.45
6. COLLIER, CECILIA - $106,242.37 + $2,507.21
7. DEFINA, FRANK - $104,312.18 - $2,437.21
8. DEZILVA, DERRICK - $103,401.04 + $2,437.21
9. DINYARIAN, MINA - $111,282.86 + $2,437.21
10. DSOUZA, CARLOS - $110,577.84 + $2,462.56
11. GAUCI, NEIL - $108,165.76 + $2,437.21
12. GRECH, JOAN - $103,265.76 + $2,442.96
13. GUZZO, FRANK - $101,932.10 + $2,437.21
14. HIGGINS, JAMES - $101,548.90 + $2,437.21
15. JAVED, MOHAMMED - $107,283.98 + $2,874.86
16. MCGLENNON, ALLAN - $102,406.78 + $2,740.26
17. MORITZ, EVA - $108,404.88 + $2,437.21
18. PALAYATHIL, VINITA - $112,392.53 + $1,055.63
19. SACHDEV, KIRAN - $125,247.19 + $2,089.33
20. SALEEMI, YASIN - $112,371.14 + $2,496.66
21. WAYLEN, RICHARD - $103,109.38 + $2,955.91

More information at: http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/publications/salarydisclosure/2009/munic09.html

ConvenientBox said:
I'm not talking about the ones doing the work, I'm talking about the execs who make the terrible decisions.

Execs will be making far over 100k, of course. And if they're ever let go, just imagine their severance.

StevieP

Banned
ConvenientBox said:

The execs are a different story. I'm talking about the middle-class. Most people in unions are middle class. It's the reason unions came into existence.

In 2007 (numbers pulled from BlogTO, but looks like .gov has updated the numbers):

1. AWDHAN, CATERPAUL - $109,611.86 + $3,010.91
2. BARNHOUSE, ELKE - $102,731.27 + $2,793.31
3. BARREIRO, CANDIDO - $104,246.94 + $2,437.21
4. BOVE, ANGELO - $106,071.39 + $2,437.21
5. CHADWICK, GLENN - $105,900.59 + $2,052.45
6. COLLIER, CECILIA - $106,242.37 + $2,507.21
7. DEFINA, FRANK - $104,312.18 - $2,437.21
8. DEZILVA, DERRICK - $103,401.04 + $2,437.21
9. DINYARIAN, MINA - $111,282.86 + $2,437.21
10. DSOUZA, CARLOS - $110,577.84 + $2,462.56
11. GAUCI, NEIL - $108,165.76 + $2,437.21
12. GRECH, JOAN - $103,265.76 + $2,442.96
13. GUZZO, FRANK - $101,932.10 + $2,437.21
14. HIGGINS, JAMES - $101,548.90 + $2,437.21
15. JAVED, MOHAMMED - $107,283.98 + $2,874.86
16. MCGLENNON, ALLAN - $102,406.78 + $2,740.26
17. MORITZ, EVA - $108,404.88 + $2,437.21
18. PALAYATHIL, VINITA - $112,392.53 + $1,055.63
19. SACHDEV, KIRAN - $125,247.19 + $2,089.33
20. SALEEMI, YASIN - $112,371.14 + $2,496.66
21. WAYLEN, RICHARD - $103,109.38 + $2,955.91

More information at: http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/publicat...9/munic09.html

And there is no reason that station collectors should be making more than 100k. Managers and supervisors? Sure, that's par for the course to be making that much. People sitting in a booth? Not so much. That's corruption, not an example of middle-class infighting.

After people discovered they fell for his gravy train campaign, and that 'gravy' really meant everything that makes Toronto a great city, his approval rating fell like a rock. And because there's no option to vote out a Mayor, we're probably looking at a stand still for another 3 years in the city rather than progress.

Standstill? This is the mayor who said "people are telling me - 'stay the course, rob' and I will" and "don't blame your councilor for any of the cuts. the entirety of the blame can fall on me. just don't blame your representative"

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Entropia said:
Wait. So the dude sitting in the booth at a subway station can potentially make up to $100k?

In fact, in 2010 the TTC had 1,013 employees total earning over $100,000 per year. In 2000, they had 36 employees earning over that mark.

http://toronto.pints.com/

StevieP said:
Standstill? This is the mayor who said "people are telling me - 'stay the course, rob' and I will" and "don't blame your councilor for any of the cuts. the entirety of the blame can fall on me. just don't blame your representative"

You think they'll have progress one way, or the other? The Mayor has a very small group of allied council members left, with the bandwagon jumpers felling his sinking ship. The odds of him being able to pass any of his really ambitious issues is slim now. But the council being able to actually accomplish anything on its own.. what are the odds?

Azih

Entropia said:
Wait. So the dude sitting in the booth at a subway station can potentially make up to $100k?
Yeah but those guys IIRC do massive amounts of overtime to get to that point... which may be saving the city money (cheaper than hiring more people). i would like a bit more of a breakdown. That pints website has a few LOL points though EvilMario, like these people WILL BE MILLIONAIRES IN TEN YEARS. (yeah if they had no expenses at all, sure).

Draff

Azih said:
Yeah but those guys IIRC do massive amounts of overtime to get to that point... which may be saving the city money (cheaper than hiring more people).

Well, as mentioned earlier, we could just automate the process...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Azih said:
Yeah but those guys IIRC do massive amounts of overtime to get to that point... which may be saving the city money (cheaper than hiring more people). i would like a bit more of a breakdown. That pints website has a few LOL points though EvilMario, like these people WILL BE MILLIONAIRES IN TEN YEARS. (yeah if they had no expenses at all, sure).

Sometimes this is true. There was a story a year, or two ago about a 60k employee working up to 120k in overtime, or something insane. But many of the booth collectors were at one point drivers, and have been with the TTC for years and years. They're simply put in a more leisurely role, but their salary doesn't come down with the position.

Zombie James said:
That's actually not a bad idea, even though they're clearly trying to be dicks about it. I'd just want it to be fine-grained. Like, if I give $500 I should be able to tell them where to put it (20% transit, 20% arts, etc).

How about to $300,000 studies on how to turn the Port Lands into an amusement park? :p
They might open this site, but they'll never let people be so specific about where the money is going.

Stet

Banned
Fuzzy said:
You guys want no cuts? Then you should just give the city more of your money!

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...lors-want-willing-residents-to-pay-more-taxes

You gotta love these people. :lol
It's depressing that so many of our city councillors don't understand how taxes work. The handful of people who would contribute out of pocket aren't going to solve any problems, and it's a waste of money to try to contribute voluntarily because your money isn't going to help anything without the support of everyone else. The only way that raised taxes can actually raise substantial revenue is if hundreds of thousands of people are paying more.

Kunohara

Zombie James said:
Council just banned the sale of dogs and cats in pet stores.

Goodbye being able to look at puppies/kittens while at the mall.

This is cool though. If you want a pet, go to the Humane Society. Lots of dogs/cats over there that need a home.

Top Bottom