• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

http://www.thestar.com/news/toronto...o-is-united-against-ford-s-proposed-cuts?bn=1

Excellent new poll, with ward-by-ward results.

A Forum Research telephone survey of nearly 13,000 people reveals that more than three-quarters of Torontonians want their local councillor to protect services rather than comply with the mayor’s wishes. And only 27 per cent of residents say they would vote for Rob Ford if an election was held tomorrow.

More significantly, because of the poll’s size, Forum was able to provide the first authoritative assessment of support on a ward-by-ward level.

Forum’s poll, which was paid for by CUPE Local 79, one of two major unions at city hall, questioned 12,848 Toronto residents on Tuesday using a random dial, push-button response, phoning system. The margin of error is plus or minus 0.9 per cent, 19 out 20 times.

Some of the strongest opposition to the current direction at city hall is in the wards of executive committee members.

For example, in Cesar Palacio’s Davenport region, 81.2 per cent of residents want him to fight Ford on cuts. In Willowdale, 82.9 per cent of David Shiner’s constituents are against cutting services.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Seriously, what the fuck were they thinking on the waterfront idea. The previous idea is years of research, care, preparation and investment in the pot already. Throwing that away for what amounts to a recycled whim from half a century ago, with no forethought and a half-assed presentation...

It's like they want people to hate them.

Kinitari said:
Seriously, what the fuck were they thinking on the waterfront idea. The previous idea is years of research, care, preparation and investment in the pot already. Throwing that away for what amounts to a recycled whim from half a century ago, with no forethought and a half-assed presentation...

Pretty sure I read that the developers from Australia behind the idea said that the Fords were the only city in the world that listened to their idea...........

Like wtf lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kinitari said:

Transit City.. for a mono rail!

Azih

Kinitari said:

Simply put they wanted to sell off the Port Lands quickly to a mall developer so they could use the money to balance their budget and pretend to be fiscally competent. Mike Harris 407 style.

Dyno

Zombie James said:
Palacio still hasn't written me back on any of the emails I've sent him. He can go screw himself as far as I'm concerned.

You really need to hear this man speak in council and on the works committee when he attends. To call him a pompous, aimless windbag is only the beginning. This is a man who truly loves to hear his own voice but has nothing of substance to say.

Expect those polls to go down further:

TTC officials voted Friday to lay off hundreds of staff and revert to 2008 service levels, likely resulting in more crowded commutes even though ridership continues to grow. But talk of a fare increase was put off until December.

Pink slips affecting 251 positions will start going out as early as Monday, after transit officials voted to eliminate 311 positions, including 60 that the TTC decided not to hire.

The reductions for 171 unionized positions will be done through attrition.

The layoffs are expected to save the TTC $14 million for 2012. The TTC said next year it will look at contracting out station services, building services and other services which could reduce at least 500 more positions.

A TTC report containing many cost-cutting measures released earlier this week was the subject of Friday’s meeting. Officials essentially adopted that report, which called for service level reductions during rush-hour periods on 50 bus and streetcar routes.

Off-peak service will also be reduced on 60 routes.

The service reductions are expected to save the commission $20.9 million next year.

And approximately 700 dialysis patients who rely on Wheel-Trans are now no longer eligible for the service -- a move also recommended in the report released Tuesday. That cut is expected to save the commission $5 million a year.

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...or-hundreds-of-layoffs-reduced-service-levels

Azih

AlphaTwo00 said:
TTC cuts don't go through council, IIRC. They've been told they need to cut, and they act independently to meet those numbers.

Well. SUCKS TO BE A DIALYSIS PATIENT THEN.

In more positive news, more than 300 people have signed up to give deputations in Monday's executive committee meeting. Hope Ford and his stooges are ready for another all-nighter.

Saidin311

Neo Member
As a Toronto resident I'm already depressed enough about this city. This TTC stuff is just brutal, my commute recently increased in length because my office moved. The last thing I need is to wait even longer for a bus!

Instead of more hate, lets liven this discussion up with some more talk of food and drink!

Burgers
W Burger (Next to Frans at Yonge and College)

Great Burger place, also has great cheap beer. I mean you're still drinkin PBR or Canadian, but they have pitcher deals in the 11-13 buck range.
Their Burgers are ordered by the single order but use a great range of high quality ingredients and flavors. They do have a small street-side patio and its a fairly large building inside. It looks clean and classy, and being a "gourmet burger" place it might seem pretentious however it's anything but.

Bars
The Artful Dodger (Yonge and Isabella)

For what little summer there is left, I recommend hitting their back patio up before it gets cold. It's got a pool table and a jukebox and some great atmosphere! The Dodger has a huge front patio too.

This place is pretty eclectic with a mix of the regulars sitting by the bar who might watch anything from football (soccer), baseball, hockey, or whom you might overhear a topic about travel or books or politics. Outside the patio can be packed with hipsters and other walk-in traffic sitting down for some decent pub grub and pints of beer served at a decent price.

In the winter they have an upstairs bar with a pool table, you could walk in there on a Sunday and watch some football (nfl) or you could walk in on a Friday where there is a live band playing, or a bar night from a U of T arts course.

You never know what you're gonna get at The Dodger, but if you do make the trip you're rarely disappointed.

Italian Food
5 Doors North (on Yonge in between Davisville and Eglinton)
If you like Italian I recommend this place. There isn't much to say about other than it's amazing.

Great street-side patio. Great servers who really know their food and wines. The atmosphere is casual-hip. It's a great place for a date, or a great place to bring your family! The menu is usually hand written and the specials are always amazing. Fresh Pasta, great wines, friendly people.

5 Doors is also reasonably priced, 2 drinks a main and an app will average around 40 dollars which isn't too bad for the quality of food.

Plus when you're done there head around the neighbourhood for some lively spots at night!

So yeah, where are people going these days for good food and drink?

Food:

Hogtown Vegan: I'm not vegetarian but my wife is this place is very good for that type of food.

Stockyards: AMAZING ribs that are slow cooked all day. Not to mention having the best fried chicken and great burgers.

Caplansky's: Best smoked meat sandwich in town

WVRST: Tons of sausage options including really weird gamey stuff.

Drink (I like good beer only):

Bar Volo

Grapefruit Moon

Kunohara

Anyone know a good place to get an image printed into a poster/canvas? I have a really nice Red Dead image I would like to get printed. Someplace not downtown if possible (I live in North York). I think there is a Kinko's near Highway 7 and Woodbine, but I'm not sure if I can get it done there.

Saidin311 said:
Italian Food
5 Doors North (on Yonge in between Davisville and Eglinton)
If you like Italian I recommend this place. There isn't much to say about other than it's amazing.

Great street-side patio. Great servers who really know their food and wines. The atmosphere is casual-hip. It's a great place for a date, or a great place to bring your family! The menu is usually hand written and the specials are always amazing. Fresh Pasta, great wines, friendly people.

5 Doors is also reasonably priced, 2 drinks a main and an app will average around 40 dollars which isn't too bad for the quality of food.

Plus when you're done there head around the neighbourhood for some lively spots at night!
This is one of my favourite restaurants ever.

Also, Trattoria Nervosa, which is in Yorkville, but has reasonable prices (along the same lines as Five Doors North (of the nose).

The pastas are fresh, the meats are well-prepared, the atmosphere is warm (sometimes crazy, but I've never had to wait in line) and the pizzas are a mix of classic italian and innovative. Wines and desserts are good too, but if you're just in the mood to people watch, meander down the street for Summer's Ice Cream, open seasonally. I recommend the Credit River Turtle.

Le Papillon is another place I'm a big, big fan of - Quebecois cuisine, a variety of sweet and savory crepes, decent prices. They used to be on lower Church, but after the massive flooding rainstorm of ...like...2004, they closed up shop and moved onto Front Street E (in the Market area). Food is just as good, space is better set up.

As far as steakhouses go, Hy's and Barberians have the two best steaks in the city (by my opinion). Barberian's prices are a little better, and their wine list is among the best in the city (something like a 30,000 bottle collection). They also have an on-site sommelier, which is rare for a restaurant that allows people in with jeans and running shoes. Hy's is more upscale, complete with gallery walls and arched ceilings. This is where you take a girl to impress her, or a high-felutin' client to let them know you're in their league.

Harlem (in the Queen E hood) is a great little place with more of a "down home" feel for foodies. They boast sides of mac n cheese, have great, greasy sandwiches, and there's no way in hell you're coming out of there with room in your stomach. Delicious.

7 Numbers is another Italian fusion place I wouldn't count out. From time to time they also offer family-style dining, which is great for big groups (e.g. birthday parties). Prices are pretty good, in the realm of Five Doors North (a little less expensive) but the atmosphere is similar - handwritten menus, specials on a chalkboard, etc. They have two locations, both locally managed - Eglinton and Avenue Road, and Danforth and...somewhere.

As for pubs, I've always been a fan of the Unicorn (Eglinton and Mt Pleasant). Cheap appetizers, from time to time they offer live music, and the staff know what's good (and what isn't - the chicken) on the menu. Have the perogies. They never come out the same way twice, and they're always good. Also, this is somewhere that (provided there's no worldwide shortage) can serve pitchers of Magners.

For Strongbow on tap, go to the Wheat Sheaf. Oldest pub in Toronto, best avoided on football (soccer) Sundays. Food is standard pub fare, but the place just reeks of history, and the crowd is decent, too.

...There are more restaurants and food joints I could mention, but those are the ones that come to mind first.

Firestorm

Canada finally getting an official Pokemon National (and two regional) video game tournament and it's gonna be in Toronto. Looks like I might be visiting your neck of the woods for a week or so next summer =)

firehawk12 said:
I'm curious how Porter works... do you have to pay to get to and from the island, or is that included in the fee?
Island ferry is free. You can transit to or take cab and access from the foot of Bathurst street. Free shuttle operates roughly every 15 minutes during flying times from the Royal York hotel, so easy access from Union stn.

And, free non-alcoholic beverages and snacks in the departure lounge. Complimentary alcohol on flights.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
BladeWorker said:
Island ferry is free. You can transit to or take cab and access from the foot of Bathurst street. Free shuttle operates roughly every 15 minutes during flying times from the Royal York hotel, so easy access from Union stn.

And, free non-alcoholic beverages and snacks in the departure lounge. Complimentary alcohol on flights.
Yeah my brother loves it. He goes to Atlantic City every year for a DJ expo and takes it.

Porter is amazing. I hate going all the way to Pearson Airport so going 15 minutes to the island airport is a breeze for me. Plus they give me free Steamwhistle beers and all the snacks I want. I would only fly another airline if it is somewhere that Porter doesn't fly to (like most international destinations)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Who's watching the Executive Committee meeting today? Ford is speaking right now, outlining why the city is better without things like libraries and services for the poor.

The most rage inducing quote I found in an article regarding the meeting:

Looking ahead to Monday’s meeting, Councillor Paul Ainslie was hoping less people will be “against the whole thing.”

“I am hoping more people will come out and tell us we’re doing a good job,” Ainslie said last week. “After 20 to 30 deputants telling me what I’m doing wrong, you pretty much get the gist of it.”

And here's a link to the meeting: http://www.rogerstv.com/page.aspx?lid=237&rid=16&sid=1030&lve=26516

EvilMario said:
Who's watching the Executive Committee meeting today? Ford is speaking right now, outlining why the city is better without things like libraries and services for the poor.

The most rage inducing quote I found in an article regarding the meeting:

And here's a link to the meeting: http://www.rogerstv.com/page.aspx?lid=237&rid=16&sid=1030&lve=26516

According to the Star, it appears Ford may back off completely on the library and day care issues, but selling the theatres is definitely a go.

explodet

Decided to check on how Toronto-Age is shaping up, and I'm getting the Toronto firefighter's notgravy.ca bannerad on top.

Looks like Kouvalis is earning his paycheck.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Oh man, I wonder if they'll end it early if there's too much applause / noise from the crowd.

First two speakers are good. I didn't get to see the beginning of the last one (although I watched it until 4:00am), but there's a lot of energy now that everyone isn't dead on their feet.

edit: Oh, looks like they shortened it to 2 minutes again after saying they would be given 5 minutes at the start.

And of course, this one will be running until the early morning again. I'm glad they're getting called out for it early.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
They're threatening to throw Adam Vaughan out of the meeting for making 'false statements', and not keeping to the statements made by speakers.

I don't always agree with Vaughan on his city building ideals, but it nice to see him sticking it to the Executive Committee. As long as he's not getting himself really thrown out.

I wonder if Adam Vaughan is going to run for mayor some time. I'm not sure if he would be able to have the wide appeal needed beyond his obvious supporters but he definitely knows his shit.

added_time said:
Porter is amazing. I hate going all the way to Pearson Airport so going 15 minutes to the island airport is a breeze for me. Plus they give me free Steamwhistle beers and all the snacks I want. I would only fly another airline if it is somewhere that Porter doesn't fly to (like most international destinations)
Add me to the +1 Porter experience. Highly recommended (and given that their fares are on par with AC)

New seat projections for the Ontario election have the Liberals at 50

nw-number-cruncher_1321265a.jpg

added_time said:
I wonder if Adam Vaughan is going to run for mayor some time. I'm not sure if he would be able to have the wide appeal needed beyond his obvious supporters but he definitely knows his shit.
Which is what drives Ford and his cronies nuts.

Few things are more aggravating to an uneducated loudmouth than someone with educated responses.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
BigJonsson said:
A minority Liberal government with the NDP having a whole lot of power sounds awesome.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I do wish that some of these deputants would come up offering solutions rather than just "don't cut our stuff!" This whole thing just seems pointless, much like last time.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Divvy said:
Mammoliti is such a steaming piece of shit.

8lncA.jpg

Although all the Fordites are annoying, Mammoliti is the most rage inducing because he always goes after people he views as weak. It was great last meeting when he did go after a few people, and they actually shot back with facts. And then he just sits there. Bwaha.

Divvy said:
I do wish that some of these deputants would come up offering solutions rather than just "don't cut our stuff!" This whole thing just seems pointless, much like last time.

I do as well. It means the Ford-sided Councillors can't fire back at them very easily.

Raising the property tax, and bringing back the Vehicle Registration Tax are the two common ones brought up. I've also heard road tolls, and automating more transit.

BigJonsson said:

nw-number-cruncher_1321265a.jpg

Although I wish this to be true... I'm finding it hard to see how the Liberals would come out on top with the most seats. It says that the PC party is polling higher for one thing and I would think the NDP would only be stealing votes from the liberals and not the conservatives.

I suppose they have been doing detailed analysis of each riding though and would know much better than me.

Top Bottom