• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm actually heading out in an hour to vote at an advance poll. It's so much nicer to be in and out in 5 minutes instead of waiting for election day and waiting over an hour.

Zzoram

EvilMario said:
Interesting that the NDP has such strong support in Northern Ontario. Is this new, or has it been like that for a while?

Northern Ontario is a lot of mining and government jobs since there aren't a lot of big industries there. That means labour unions and public sector workers make up the majority of the economy, and the NDP is very pro labour union and public sector.

I really hope voters don't give the Conservatives every level of government. That's got to be a recipe for disaster, since they're all advocating cuts cuts cuts, with the exception of Harper wanting to spend far more on building mega prisons and starting a war on drugs.

Dyno

Stet said:
2ahsi1s.gif

I am in City Hall watching this while the debate goes on. I've been showing my co-workers. This is just fantastic!

Are the signs on lawns or on roads?

Up in Maple there are a TON of PC signs but it just shows that they couldnt find many people who wanted signs on their lawn

And its Sorbara's riding, hes got it locked up

My riding, Thornhill, is supposedly really close, there are a ton of signs on lawns this election

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
BigJonsson said:

Up in Maple there are a TON of PC signs but it just shows that they couldnt find many people who wanted signs on their lawn

My riding, Thornhill, is supposedly really close, there are a ton of signs on lawns this election

Lawns around my area. In fact, I see none on the public roads, like there were during the mayoral election.

BigJonsson said:

Yup. If you're going by signs, it's going to be a close call here. I swear I'm getting called everyday from both parties.

Takao

Banned
PlayStation Canada's hosting another holiday preview event this year. Instead of the Sony Centre for Performing Arts it's at The Liberty Grand on Oct. 12.

I might go, but I'm pretty terrible when it comes to public transit, so if I don't have some of my friends to tag along I won't, lol.

Zzoram

I don't see the point in lawn signs other than telling everyone how you are voting. It's not like seeing lawn signs without an explanation will change people's minds.

Zzoram said:
I don't see the point in lawn signs other than telling everyone how you are voting. It's not like seeing lawn signs without an explanation will change people's minds.

I think it does play a part when there are 2 left leaning parties. People might decide to pick the one with the most lawn signs thinking that they would have a better chance of beating the PCs for that riding.

Firestorm

Zzoram said:
Some people go in and just vote for the person they've heard of. Immigrants are known to want to vote for a winner due to something or another (even seen it with my parents).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Firestorm said:
Some people go in and just vote for the person they've heard of. Immigrants are known to want to vote for a winner due to something or another (even seen it with my parents).

HARPER GOVERNMENT OF FOREVER

The worst thing about those polls is the idea of Liberal voters getting complacent.

"They're gonna win, so I don't need to go out and vote."

Everyone knows that Conservative voters are the more dedicated ones, so much so that even if they're slightly behind in the polls they can come out way on top through sheer voter dedication.

lunarworks said:
Everyone knows that Conservative voters are the more dedicated ones, so much so that even if they're slightly behind in the polls they can come out way on top through sheer voter dedication.
There are a few factors you're not considering in your assertion, one of the most important of which is that a lot of traditional PC voters aren't great Hudak fans.

People who like the party but not the leader are also more likely to stay home. Which, ultimately, doesn't really work to anyone's advantage, but I digress...

BigJonsson said:
(Stuff about Thornhill)
Jaysus I hope you're right. I find it really sad that the hills elected not one, but TWO former media personalities on name recognition.

Edit: Oh, also, tomorrow is Debate Night in Ontario! I will be creating a debate bingo card. Hopefully I won't be too hungover on Wednesday.

Zzoram

How could traditional PC voters not like Hudak? His wife was architect of Mike Harris' Common Sense Revolution. Don't Conservative voters think of those days fondly?

Zzoram said:
How could traditional PC voters not like Hudak? His wife was architect of Mike Harris' Common Sense Revolution. Don't Conservative voters think of those days fondly?
I'm speculating, but maybe it has something to do with selling his soul to (ultra social conservative) Randy Hillier to win the leadership?

Zzoram said:
I love how Conservatives justify Harris' hatchet job on our province: "At least he didn't break his promises."

BladeWorker said:
There are a few factors you're not considering in your assertion, one of the most important of which is that a lot of traditional PC voters aren't great Hudak fans.

People who like the party but not the leader are also more likely to stay home. Which, ultimately, doesn't really work to anyone's advantage, but I digress...

Jaysus I hope you're right. I find it really sad that the hills elected not one, but TWO former media personalities on name recognition.

Edit: Oh, also, tomorrow is Debate Night in Ontario! I will be creating a debate bingo card. Hopefully I won't be too hungover on Wednesday.

Shurman won due to the religious school funding

Azih

I was so sure that Rob Ford wouldn't be worse than Mel Lastman. Le sigh. Toronto municipal politics is so damn weird.

Holmes

EvilMario said:
Interesting that the NDP has such strong support in Northern Ontario. Is this new, or has it been like that for a while?
Northern Ontario has turned into NDP vs Liberal to strongly NDP vs Conservative. It's a resource-based region, and with all the shit that's gone down (forestry mills, smelting plants, etc. closing...) along with the Liberal government's tendency to not give a shit, the region's moved into the NDP's column. It helps that the region is also pretty unionized and into labour issues. It's not because the north is some shining beacon of progress, though.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
BigJonsson said:
One of my conservative friends is melting down on facebook asking how anyone could vote Liberal lol

I posted on a conservative 'friends' (I actually dont like this person, but work with them) facebook page, or rather replied to a "Vote conservative! No more of these crazy liberal taxes!" - I asked a few questions about how she felt about the last couple of years provincially, and how she felt about voting for rob ford, and she got her ass shut down. People are now simply voting because they don't want to admit their political position is dumb, even though they deep down know it's true.

Sadly, a lot of them are believing everything Hudak is saying about government waste and already forget that Ford said and lied about the same thing

Dyno

When was that busted Rob Ford photo taken?

In other news chaulk messages are starting to appear around City Hall again. This time they're all slagging the good mayor. FUCK FORD seemed catchy but WE CAN'T AFFORD IT and SELL THE FORD KEEP THE FARM seemed clever.

Also, Councillor Fletcher might bring up de-amalgymation sometime this afternoon.

Stet

Banned
Dyno said:
Also, Councillor Fletcher might bring up de-amalgymation sometime this afternoon.
Would this even be possible? It was a provincial matter when it was passed, completely skipping the Toronto council.

Azih said:
So hey how come Toronto Age is so busy? I don't recall any other 'City'-Age being this populated.
No city has such a controversial mayor, which in less than a year into office, seems to have dropped the city from "everything is A-OK" to "HOLY SHIT WE NEED MONEY, CUT CUT CUT".

AlphaTwo00 said:
No city has such a controversial mayor, which in less than a year into office, seems to have dropped the city from "everything is A-OK" to "HOLY SHIT WE NEED MONEY, CUT CUT CUT".

Speaking of funny and awful mayors:

Anyone remember Mayor Giuliani in New York? He banned dancing in restaurants and bars unless the place had paid for a special licence (of which there were only 300 to go around for the entire city.

On my very first trip to New York, I was DJing at a bar and the bartender kept telling the girls to stop dancing and pointed at the sign on the wall "NO DANCING"

ixJA5Mar329Or.jpg

I remember thinking to myself "this is so fucked up"... but I met my wife that night so all is well that ends well.

Oh wait meeting my wife wasn't the point of this story... the point was that bad mayors will pass eventually and things will return back to normal!

Stet

Banned
Azih said:
So hey how come Toronto Age is so busy? I don't recall any other 'City'-Age being this populated.
It's remarkable that we can have so many Toronto posters and such unpopulated meets.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Dyno said:
When was that busted Rob Ford photo taken?

In other news chaulk messages are starting to appear around City Hall again. This time they're all slagging the good mayor. FUCK FORD seemed catchy but WE CAN'T AFFORD IT and SELL THE FORD KEEP THE FARM seemed clever.

Praise Paula Fletcher. Too bad it'll never happen.

From the Sun article on it:

Ford isn’t exactly opposed to splitting up the city.

“Would I like to go back to the old Etobicoke? Sure, if it didn’t cost us a dime,” he said. “I think everybody would agree, let’s go back, we had a surplus in Etobicoke, when Doug Holyday was mayor, we were doing fantastic.”

Asked what he thought about the idea of de-amalgamation, Deputy Mayor Holyday laughed it off.

“Only if I can be mayor again,” he joked.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Also, I noticed there's ANOTHER Hero Burger opening at Queen and Spadina soon. I've been to Hero Burger a few times, but for the price of their fast food, I don't find it great. Why do we suddenly have dozens of these around the city?

Top Bottom