• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

added_time said:
iHd3tvHgvy6em.png

I got this from wikipedia but I'm not sure if it is correct? Was York really its own city separate from Old Toronto?

Yes. Many moons ago -- York's City Hall was on Eglinton, west of Keele.

explodet

EvilMario said:
Also, I noticed there's ANOTHER Hero Burger opening at Queen and Spadina soon. I've been to Hero Burger a few times, but for the price of their fast food, I don't find it great. Why do we suddenly have dozens of these around the city?
It's kinda baffling for me too, they actually closed down a Lettieri's. It seems off to me that they're getting rid of a coffee joint in downtown Toronto, normally we can't get enough of the stuff.

And there's already a fancier burger joint a little ways away, not to mention the McDonald's on the opposite corner.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
If we're talkin burgers

A Better Burger (near my work at Summerhill Station)
Burger's Priest (near where I live in Riverdale/Beaches)

Hero is 'ok', but it seems like it's done like it should normally be done and isn't spectacular.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
added_time said:
I'm sure some nice developer will buy it up to demolish it for some houses and parking lots.

i haven't been to the zoo in years, but i'd riot

the toronto zoo is a source of pride for the city, ugh....

but apparently buyers want to add an amusement park... wtf. just an excuse to charge more

Zzoram

Pretty sure the land is worth more as a ton of condos than as a zoo, so those are the developers that will likely bid for the land.

StevieP

Banned
Zzoram said:
Pretty sure the land is worth more as a ton of condos than as a zoo, so those are the developers that will likely bid for the land.

Not really. It's scarborough, has a ton of rivers ravines/etc etc... It would make more sense as a hybrid zoo/amusment park than it would condos. Sadly.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kuro Madoushi said:
If we're talkin burgers

A Better Burger (near my work at Summerhill Station)
Burger's Priest (near where I live in Riverdale/Beaches)

Hero is 'ok', but it seems like it's done like it should normally be done and isn't spectacular.

I'll have to try A Better Burger, but I think Burger Priest is one of the most overrated places in the city. The portions are tiny, the burger are bland (even the secret menu offers limited appeal), the fries are small in portion and always soggy. Oh, and it's even more expensive than BQM for about half the amount.

The freshly ground beef is the only redeeming aspect of the place. Staff seems generally not to be having a good time, and don't smile either. Baah.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
From The Star's live blog (I haven't been able to watch until now)

Council voted 24-21 against the elimination of community environment days. It voted 23-22 against the elimination of the public realm improvement program, which fixes up forgotten or neglected corners of the city such as traffic islands, boulevards and subway entrances.

Council voted 40-5 to see if Heritage Toronto can operate city museums with low attendance rather than having museums quickly closed. And it voted 23-22 to see if the High Park Zoo and Toronto Island Park, which includes another petting zoo, can be operated as conservancies rather than potentially handed over to a private operator.

Council also voted 25-20, against Ford's wishes, against thehypothetical future privatization of the profitable Toronto Parking Authority.

Two of Ford’s allies, executive committee member Councillor Jaye Robinson and right-leaning Councillor Gloria Lindsay Luby, voted against the mayor on several of the close votes. Lindsay Luby put forth the motion opposing the privatization of the Toronto Parking Authority.

Council voted 44-1 to stop requiring paid duty police officers at construction sites. And it did endorse some cuts, voting 25-20 to eliminate the Christmas Bureau, 34-11 to stop distributing four free garbage tags, 24-21 to seek the sale of the city’s three theatres, 24-21 to consider eliminating horticultural initiatives at parks.

CSM0A.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You've got to love Mammoliti.

Mammoliti: None of you Councillors opposed to these cuts have any solutions!
Councillors: Reinstate the VRT and Land transfer tax, break the property tax freeze..
Mammoliti: Like I said, no solutions!

StevieP said:
Not really. It's scarborough, has a ton of rivers ravines/etc etc... It would make more sense as a hybrid zoo/amusment park than it would condos. Sadly.
If they try to turn it into condos, an RA or environmental group can petition the province to have the Zoo's land listed as protected (like the Escarpment...that is, the parts that aren't being dug up to make roads).

EvilMario said:
Because if Ford had his way, there wouldn't be any public transit at all.
Not true. All the poor people would take the subway so that he could rip up streetcar lines and cancel bus routes, leaving more room on roadways for his precious cars.

If there's anything we learned from his election as mayor, it is that nobody should mess with him drivin his car where and how he damn well chooses: on a cell phone, to a(nother) downtown megamall, through bike lanes, onto sidewalks, across rights-of-way...any impingement on his "right" to drive is an act of war.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
BladeWorker said:
Not true. All the poor people would take the subway so that he could rip up streetcar lines and cancel bus routes, leaving more room on roadways for his precious cars.

If there's anything we learned from his election as mayor, it is that nobody should mess with him drivin his car where and how he damn well chooses: on a cell phone, to a(nother) downtown megamall, through bike lanes, onto sidewalks, across rights-of-way...any impingement on his "right" to drive is an act of war.
I think we should demolish all buildings as well. Without buildings in the way, people could driver all over downtown without traffic jams!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
BladeWorker said:

All those subway stations need to be converted to parking garages for all the new drivers that'll want to come downtown. I'm afraid it must go as well. Poor people can just leave.

StevieP

Banned
will52 said:
Exactly. The TTC union needs to be slaughtered.

I do not think we should be fighting middle class vs middle class (as per earlier in the thread) but there is some definite corruption that needs to be addressed in the TTC union.

What the fuck? They sold the zoo?!

They haven't sold it yet. Is there any way we can stop this pending sale? I'll post some articles shortly.

StevieP

Banned
Zoo talk. Wall Street Journal: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703960004575427150960867176.html

WSJ said:
Cities and states across the nation are selling and leasing everything from airports to zoos—a fire sale that could help plug budget holes now but worsen their financial woes over the long run.

Zoo in Ontario review: http://www.zoocheck.com/Reportpdfs/Zoos in Ontario.pdf

Private Zoos, MarineLand as the example:
This appears to be a very successful commercial enterprise which attracts large crowds to the amusement rides and marine mammal shows. The main objective seems to be public entertainment.
The other animal exhibits are not as popular. The animals are very overcrowded in barren enclosures with no attempt at any environmental enrichment. The bear enclosure is particularly bad. The bears are overcrowded; have no enrichment, such as tree trunks to encourage climbing; and exhibit aggression and abnormal behaviour caused by feeding by the public.
It would appear as though there is no financial excuse for Marineland to keep and display animals in such poor enclosures without any apparent care given to animal welfare.
This zoo would fail an inspection under the standards of the U.K. Zoo Licensing Act

Publicly-funded Zoos in Ontario:
Conclusion said:
A consideration of the standards for animal care and housing in zoos laid down in Canada by the CAZPA and in Europe by the EAZA and the British Zoo Licencing Act, in relation to my inspection of the zoos in Ontario, showed that of the 18 zoos visited only Riverside Park and Zoo in Peterborough and the Metropolitan Toronto Zoo attained these standards.

www.zoocheck.com is an excellent site for this kinda stuff, and MarineLand being used as the example of a successful commercial private venture is consistently failing in various aspects related to animal care, even recently.

Flash

Is there any site where we can see projected riding numbers for the upcoming provincial elections? Parkdale-High Park here.

Top Bottom