• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

crazy monkey said:
so you have no prblem with king charles or king the youge dude and bowing before them with your family?
It would be appropriate protocol to curtsy (f) or bow (m) before a king, regardless of whether or not they were your head of state.

But that aside, we're in no way constitutionally or legislatively subservient to Britain. We're more subservient to the United States - and they're not even in our formative documents. To suggest that acceptance of a separate head of state - a benign one, at that - is equivalent to accepting subservience is a red herring.

BladeWorker said:
It would be appropriate protocol to curtsy (f) or bow (m) before a king, regardless of whether or not they were your head of state.

But that aside, we're in no way constitutionally or legislatively subservient to Britain. We're more subservient to the United States - and they're not even in our formative documents. To suggest that acceptance of a separate head of state - a benign one, at that - is equivalent to accepting subservience is a red herring.

I have different view I guess. Why would I bow to another human being especially some one who I have no respect for or no reason to respect for. Why would my child need to sing praise of some unknown person. I love this country to death but this is the only point that bugs me to infinity. sorry for taking this off track. This is about Toronto.

I visited Calgary last week. Much much better views lol. Just looking at mountains from inside the house and walking around so much fresh air.

Boogie

EvilMario said:
All 39% of them!

I'm sure you wouldn't have been bitching when the Liberals were winning majorities with 40% of the vote.

crazy monkey said:
I have different view I guess. Why would I bow to another human being especially some one who I have no respect for or no reason to respect for. Why would my child need to sing praise of some unknown person. I love this country to death but this is the only point that bugs me to infinity. sorry for taking this off track. This is about Toronto.

I'm guessing you're not big on military service either, since the whole "saluting" thing is also about showing deference/respect to someone based on title/status.

In theoretical terms, I don't know if I'd say I'm a monarchist, but I don't really have any issues with that aspect of our historical ties to Britain.

'sides, I thought it was kinda cool to give the salute as she got into the limo to leave Queen's Park last year.

Bringingsexyback.jpg

Boogie said:
I'm sure you wouldn't have been bitching when the Liberals were winning majorities with 40% of the vote.

I'm guessing you're not big on military service either, since the whole "saluting" thing is also about showing deference/respect to someone based on title/status.

In theoretical terms, I don't know if I'd say I'm a monarchist, but I don't really have any issues with that aspect of our historical ties to Britain.

'sides, I thought it was kinda cool to give the salute as she got into the limo to leave Queen's Park last year.

Bringingsexyback.jpg

I was interviewed in ottawa for engineering position ( marine research) . I would love to join but not right now. I have family member who is in Toronto police he loves it there.

I totally understand salute in military or in police service. I am all for it. I am not for saluting some dude who will say I am king of this country and its people. May be i am thinking more about this as i will become father soon.

Is there a political party which actually wants to abolish the association with monarchy?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Boogie said:

Of course not. The roles would then be reverse with the Tories complaining about the Liberals barely making it. :p

Harper and Ford in Toronto both bug me with their 'given a mandate' line used over and over when they were elected with far less than 50% of the vote. They should try the 'I represent' everyone in Canada/the city line more.

Boogie

crazy monkey said:
Is there a political party which actually wants to abolish the association with monarchy?

As Bladeworker said, the fact that it would require a constitutional change means that no serious political party is going to touch it with a forty foot pole.

EvilMario said:
Of course not. The roles would then be reverse with the Tories complaining about the Liberals barely making it. :p

Harper and Ford in Toronto both bug me with their 'given a mandate' line used over and over when they were elected with far less than 50% of the vote. They should try the 'I represent' everyone in Canada/the city line more.
There's an argument to be made that lower voter turnout in stable democracies suggests not apathy or anomie or disenfranchisement, but a general sentiment that everything is OK and that there is no compelling reason to vote.

In one respect, it feeds into the absent mandate thesis: the elected has no mandate to implement the changes on which he campaigned. In another respect, it undermines it: the elected has the mandate to do whatever he pleases, as those voting for him expressed confidence, and those who stayed home don't mind that he governs. Quid tacit consentit.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yup. Canadians are fuckin lazy and will only vote if a party supremely fucks up. Chretien and the liberals could've promised free donkey punches to everyone and they would've won.

Stet

Banned
crazy monkey said:
I visited Calgary last week. Much much better views lol. Just looking at mountains from inside the house and walking around so much fresh air.
What were you doing in Calgary?

crazy monkey said:
I totally understand salute in military or in police service. I am all for it. I am not for saluting some dude who will say I am king of this country and its people. May be i am thinking more about this as i will become father soon.
With how much deference would you take other dads' advice? Your father's? Your grandfather's?

They have a life experience that can offer you insight into your own. For your familial relations, it's a life experience that has allowed you to live healthfully and happily as you do.

Just as the ancestry of the British throne has contributed to our country's laws, structure of governance, and history that allows us to live as we do today.

Bow, don't bow; salute, don't salute; it's no skin off my back. But consider that respect for the throne isn't about blind allegiance to a monarchy; at least, not for any of us with even a rudimentary understanding of Canadian history.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
BladeWorker said:
There's an argument to be made that lower voter turnout in stable democracies suggests not apathy or anomie or disenfranchisement, but a general sentiment that everything is OK and that there is no compelling reason to vote.

In one respect, it feeds into the absent mandate thesis: the elected has no mandate to implement the changes on which he campaigned. In another respect, it undermines it: the elected has the mandate to do whatever he pleases, as those voting for him expressed confidence, and those who stayed home don't mind that he governs. Quid tacit consentit.

There's an argument to be made, especially with the younger voter's poor results, that they feel their vote won't matter, or whoever they vote for, it'll make little difference (and not in a good way). It can be twisted either way to match your point of view, depending on the political climate.

In regards to mandates; as seen lately in the case of Ford, it's the unwillingness to work with people, that might hold different views, that really eats at people. He's not trying to bargain, or compromise, and mean while tries to circumvent the process behind closed doors. He over estimates the power his office is given, it's not as if the buck stops with the mayor.

He should of course push his platform which he was elected on, but realise that the bullish manner he's trying to do it is not going to work. The committee meetings is a microcosm what's wrong with his approach. Idiotically run the meeting for over twenty four hours straight, hold it in a cramped office when larger rooms are available, attack people with vague facts, but ignore people that come with ideas and numbers, and then afterwards continue with the 'silent majority' line and that everyone you've heard from tells you to stay the course.

And what of a mandate for a mayor if the approval rating drops like a rock? Does he blindly 'stay the course', even if voices from all sides disagree?

Suggesting that bipartisanship, compromising, and working with people that have other ideals is weak is why I hate US politics. Because you are working with who you've been elected to work with doesn't mean you have up and abandoned the people that voted for you. But Ford does love that sports team mentality of 'us and them'.

crazy monkey said:

I miss the Pacific mountain ranges, but I'd even take the Rockies over this flatness. ;_;

Stet said:
What were you doing in Calgary?

job search related had couple of interview with engineering firms. I loved the city might move there in the future. I hope i get proper job first. If any one knows companies who are hiring new mechanical engineer graduate holla friends. I have experience in electronics manufacturing facilities mostly so the experience goes to waste when it comes to securing mechanical engineering jobs. I am trying to get EIT jobin hydros or in government first.

BladeWorker said:
With how much deference would you take other dads' advice? Your father's? Your grandfather's?

They have a life experience that can offer you insight into your own. For your familial relations, it's a life experience that has allowed you to live healthfully and happily as you do.

Just as the ancestry of the British throne has contributed to our country's laws, structure of governance, and history that allows us to live as we do today.

Bow, don't bow; salute, don't salute; it's no skin off my back. But consider that respect for the throne isn't about blind allegiance to a monarchy; at least, not for any of us with even a rudimentary understanding of Canadian history

I am not saying not to give credit. Britain was the super power that contributed not only in this country but many countries around the world. If we hang on to history Greeks would still be kings may be even Egyptians. I have always disliked the idea of king an queens. See queen Elizabeth is historical figure. She deserve respect . I am talking about her succession. charles and his son or even her husband are not something out of ordinary. Just because they were related to her they will be kings of my country. My child will sing about them everyday in school which just bogels my mind. I think after her we should respectfully remove the relationship with monarchy. Removing monarchy does not mean forgetting contribution of Britain like every other founding nation. Have presidents who are just their just like governor general like today for show off. presidents would be great intellectual and achievers from canada and will be proposed by parliament. We have the best country in the world imo. Anyways I am getting too offtopic now.

Regarding toronto city tv news kicked all sort of asses to cp24 lol. as soon as i turn on the tv that is the first channel.

Rinoa

Is it me or is it raining constantly lately for Toronto? I also can't remember a wednesday where it hasn't rained.

Also, the spot where the skateboarder died (King & Spadina) has flowers and messages..

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Rinoa said:
Is it me or is it raining constantly lately for Toronto? I also can't remember a wednesday where it hasn't rained.

Also, the spot where the skateboarder died (King & Spadina) has flowers and messages..

Just making up for the terribly dry summer.

Now bring on the snow!

EvilMario said:
Just making up for the terribly dry summer.

Now bring on the snow!

Hey I saw you in the NFL thread.

Anyone going to the Bills games this Sunday. I cant believe decent tickets are over $200 when the same tickets in Buffalo are $40.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
crimzonflame said:

Anyone going to the Bills games this Sunday. I cant believe decent tickets are over $200 when the same tickets in Buffalo are $40.

Maybe it's just because the only NFL games I've seen have been at Candlestick and the Coliseum, but I just don't find football to be a great spectator sport. Expensive in most markets, and I'd have more details on my television at home.

But yeah, they've been jacking up those ticket prices in Toronto since they've been up here now. Once Jacksonville relocates up here, I wonder if they'll tone the prices down a bit. :p

Dyno

The Asians are protesting the shark fin ban outside City Hall in the pouring rain.

It was a scene from Blade Runner.

Stet

Banned
crimzonflame said:

I wonder if it has anything to do with MLSE's racket. As in they've seen the prices Torontonians are willing to pay for the Leafs and expect us to pay that much to go to the Bills games as well.

I went to a Bills game with my brother in Buffalo. I have never been so bored (or cold) in my entire life!
It's even more boring in person than on tv!
Most of the time, the players are just standing there. I guess for commercial breaks or whatever. Even when it isn't a commercial break, it is mostly just standing there. There will be a 5 second play and then 30 seconds of standing around. I really do wonder how much of the time on the clock is used for game play versus standing there and setting up.

I hated sports growing up but I've come around to almost every sport now... except football.

The one good thing about it was to look at the crazy rednecks at the game. I have never seen such trashy people in my life! It was fun seeing them in action and it gave me something to watch other than the game.

Brinbe

I think it probably depends on the opposition and the game itself. For instance, I went to the Ralph a few weeks ago, for the Eagles-Bills game, and I had a good time, despite my team getting blasted. It was a fantastic, almost collegiate atmosphere, and that's something you can't quite replicate from your living room. It's worth going at least once, just to experience.

And the insane prices, (aside from the Bills being bad/facing uninteresting opponents) are a huge reason why the recent NFL in Toronto experiment hasn't been a success. Just not enough of an incentive to spend that much for what's mostly a novelty for many people. Of course, now that the Bills are decent, there'll probably be a good-sized crowd down at the Dome on Sunday.

Anyway, I'm glad that the Bills are probably staying in Buffalo, as that area needs and definitely appreciates that team more than we ever would, and I don't think Toronto needs or would properly support an NFL team at all.

daemonic

Banned
Better rain than snow. It feels warm for end of October, so I'll take what I can get.

On another note, does anyone know where I can find some good used clothing stores downtown or north york? I have a ton of things to sell, including some leather jackets that I'd rather not just dump in a clothing donation bin.

Brinbe said:
Anyway, I'm glad that the Bills are probably staying in Buffalo, as that area needs and definitely appreciates that team more than we ever would, and I don't think Toronto needs or would properly support an NFL team at all.

They certainly need the team more than we do. Buffalo seemed very poor and depressing and needs to hang onto anything that makes money.
NFL in Toronto would be just another thing to throw on a huge pile of stuff to do... but Buffalo really seems to need it.

Stet said:
I wonder if it has anything to do with MLSE's racket. As in they've seen the prices Torontonians are willing to pay for the Leafs and expect us to pay that much to go to the Bills games as well.

Its Rogers.

BladeWorker said:
The Queen is our head of state and the Governor General is her representative in Canada.

Abolishing the position would require constitutional change, which Canada has a startlingly poor record of achieving.

I like that we have a head of state who is distinct from our head of government. It is a check on the centralization of executive power and a balance to legislative whims.

Being a head of state would require you to have some semblance of authority over a country, the queen has none, it's a reminder of british colonialism and nothing more, like the appendix.

That said they should really get rid of the governor general, a completely useless post designed to waste money, Adrian Clarkson and Michelle Jean being two of the most recent offenders.

Dyno said:
The Asians are protesting the shark fin ban outside City Hall in the pouring rain.

It was a scene from Blade Runner.

Banning shark fin is ridiculous, shark fin soup is absolutely delicious and so is shark steak, it just feels weird going to a chinese wedding banquet and not have shark fin soup, if anything people should eat shark more, it's not like sharks are nice to people.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
ProfessorMoran said:
Banning shark fin is ridiculous, shark fin soup is absolutely delicious and so is shark steak, it just feels weird going to a chinese wedding banquet and not have shark fin soup, if anything people should eat shark more, it's not like sharks are nice to people.

Not sure if serious...

Stet

Banned
ProfessorMoran said:

ProfessorMoran

Stet said:
I bet Siberian Tiger penis is fucking delicious. Still doesn't mean I'd eat it.

It's nowhere near as common as eating shark fin, we're not talking about tiger penis or monkey brains here, sharks are fishes, people eat fish, are people not allowed to eat fish now?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
ProfessorMoran said:
Well I'm not. They use more than just the fin, the bone for medicinal purposes, the meat for eating, it's not like sharks are an endangered species.

It's one thing if the sharks were raised like cattle for food, but they're not. They're hunted very brutally (usually by just chopping off the fin, and tossing the rest of the shark back for it to die). The people who hunt them are criminals and overexploit them. This sort of hunting isn't sustainable and grossly affects the ocean ecosystem.

I ate some dog meat when I was over in China. I thought it was ok but when I got back here, everyone was mad at me for it when I told them about it.
There are tons of dogs in the world so I figured why not try it? I think these ones are raised just for meat anyways. I guess dogs are off-limits to most people but eating any other animal is a-ok.

About the shark thing: are they endangered? do they only use the fin? I really don't know enough about it.
edit: just read the info above. It certainly seems damaging to use the shark fins then.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
added_time said:
I ate some dog meat when I was over in China. I thought it was ok but when I got back here, everyone was mad at me for it when I told them about it.
There are tons of dogs in the world so I figured why not try it? I think these ones are raised just for meat anyways. I guess dogs are off-limits to most people but eating any other animal is a-ok.

About the shark thing: are they endangered? do they only use the fin? I really don't know enough about it.
edit: just read the info above. It certainly seems damaging to use the shark fins then.
I am Chinese, and I don't have shark's fin soup since there are better soups anyways.

Never understood the hate though. We have shark steaks and shark meat, but shark fin is not ok? Do we wait for the shark to die before getting their meat for the steaks, which makes it ok, but the finning leaves them to die in the water?

confused...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kuro Madoushi said:
I am Chinese, and I don't have shark's fin soup since there are better soups anyways.

Never understood the hate though. We have shark steaks and shark meat, but shark fin is not ok? Do we wait for the shark to die before getting their meat for the steaks, which makes it ok, but the finning leaves them to die in the water?

confused...

Aside from the western 'anything different is bad!' mentality, it's the perceived ethical issues of fishermen pulling sharks out of the water, cutting the fin and tossing them back in to die.

Of course, people concerned about this probably have no issue with the ethical treatment of their steak.

Divvy said:
It's one thing if the sharks were raised like cattle for food, but they're not. They're hunted very brutally (usually by just chopping off the fin, and tossing the rest of the shark back for it to die). The people who hunt them are criminals and overexploit them. This sort of hunting isn't sustainable and grossly affects the ocean ecosystem.

Most of them don't just chop off the fin and toss them back, they sell the meat and use the skeleton because of the high level of cartilage. That said, when you get sharks out of the water, they don't live very long, and they're fish, they're not mammals, cows are killed by driving a large spike through their heads (imagine if you're a cow and someone is holding you in a device and you're waiting for the machine to blow your brains out), yeah steaks are fucking delicious, next thing you know we might have to find more humane way of harvesting seaweed.

Not sure how you can raise sharks like cattle.

Human existence grossly affects every single ecosystem, we might as well all off ourselves.

Top Bottom