• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Wind worked for me everywhere except for inside my apartment... it couldn't receive or send any calls or texts. It's too bad. I would have stayed with them if it just worked in there.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
added_time said:
Wind worked for me everywhere except for inside my apartment... it couldn't receive or send any calls or texts. It's too bad. I would have stayed with them if it just worked in there.

We suffer a similar fate. We need to be next to the window at our apartment to receive signal, but anywhere else in the city it's fine. We are in a west end low rise (second floor) with trees, and condos all around. And concrete walls, haha. We rarely use it when we're at home though, as we have access to Skype / Google Talk, etc, and it's mostly for use when we're out.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
New burger place opened at Yonge & St Clair, replacing Retro Burger (which was only medicore really..). And it's another place that's charging $10 starting for a burger. I don't like this expensive burger trend at all.

EvilMario said:
New burger place opened at Yonge & St Clair, replacing Retro Burger (which was only medicore really..). And it's another place that's charging $10 starting for a burger. I don't like this expensive burger trend at all.
That's proximate to my hood. I'll take one for the team and try it out.

whitehawk

Banned
added_time said:
Ditto. I was with them for 2 weeks last year and it worked everywhere except my house. I even had a good signal in a movie theatre.
oh and one time i was at a friends house by main and gerrard, and it said i was in a wind away zone...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
BladeWorker said:
That's proximate to my hood. I'll take one for the team and try it out.

I didn't eat there. I left when I saw it was so expensive, and got street meat. So tough to eat lunch in this city for under $5.00 without resorting to fast food (or of course being smart and packing!) :(

Toronto.com's description of the joint:

Holy Chuck Burgers

Few people had anything good to say about the Retro Burger location at 1450 Yonge St. and after just a year, the place is gone, now replaced by another burger joint called Holy Chuck Burgers. The new guys will have a few hurdles to overcome including a supposedly “cursed” location and a potentially offensive logo that brings new meaning to the term “suicide food”. The menu consists of plenty of novelties like The Farmers Threesome (three patties; beef, lamb and pork) and The Grazer, their version of a veggie burger served between two grilled cheese sandwiches, and the Go Chuck Yourself burger with six (yes, six) patties. There's also a milkshake made with bacon, fudge and sea salt. Maybe the logo of the cow holding its own head on a platter is meant to be a warning

whitehawk

Banned
If you are ever in the east end, try out Square Boy by coxwell and danforth. Great burger, large helping of fries and a can of pop = $4.86 including tax. So cheap, and still my favourite burger place in town. Actually if you don't care about price, South Street Burger Co. is my favourite.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Oh GAWD, it's test day. At least the real stormy weather has passed, I hope. Should be exciting, my adrenaline is already pumping!

lunarworks said:
So, the TTC approved random drug testing.

The union is going to have a fucking fit.

After the handful of incidents in the last couple of years involving drivers crashing, or passengers having to phone in because the driver is swerving around, from being under the influence, it's about time. The job involves public safety. It's not like they're flipping burgers.

Don't fret though, the union will use this a bargaining chip to get something for their workers. Probably more vacation time for the 'emotional toll' peeing into a cup will take.

Kraftwerk

Need some advice, if you wanna skip the story scroll down to after TLDR-

I am fucking done with Bell. Jesus christ these people. Last year they sent me a bill for $900 and disconnected all my services. After being on the phone for 2 hours they reconnected everything and corrected the mistake, didn't even say sorry once tho.

NOW YESTERDAY..

I received a big package. I open it up and inside is a huge gigantic black modem. It's from bell..Of course I am confused so I call bell.

Basically, they claimed that I had ordered the most expensive internet package they have on a 2 year contract to get a special bundle offer. o_______o

After talking for an hour she says...I SWEAR I QUOTE:

"Well, I will fix this problem. Now, to cancel this you will have to pay a $300-$400 fee. Would you like to do a Credit Card payment?"

O_____O

At that moment, I had to clap. I literally clapped. I was in awe of these masterminds.

Another 30 minutes of arguing and I told them I am done, cancelling everything. Come pick your shit up ASAP.

TL;DR FUCK BELL CANADA

I ordered Techsavvy internet.

I wanted to know, iIf I get an antenna, what channels will I have? Also, if there is another company besides Bell and Rogers that provides TV service.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
EvilMario said:
I work 2 blocks away from there. It IS expensive, but the quality is excellent. Don't bother with their shitty fries though.

edit: kraftwerk...just stream online... :p

There are lots of legal streaming sites. You can also get netflix too. No reason for cable nowadays. I hope you're happy with teksavvy! I can't comment on antenna; I just watch hockey on cbc when I need to.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kuro Madoushi said:
I work 2 blocks away from there. It IS expensive, but the quality is excellent. Don't bother with their shitty fries though.

I will try it when I'm out with the wife, but I can't justify spending that much for myself when I just need a quick snack. Good to hear that it's a decent burger though. After the disappointment with Burger Priest, I've nearly given up on these sorts of places.

Brandson

EvilMario said:
I didn't eat there. I left when I saw it was so expensive, and got street meat. So tough to eat lunch in this city for under $5.00 without resorting to fast food (or of course being smart and packing!) :(

For cheaper, relatively healthy lunches, try going to a grocery store like Longo's or Metro. I go to Longo's in First Canadian Place all the time. They have a wide variety of hot and cold sandwiches, pizzas, hot and salad buffets, and lots of fresh fruit options. A sandwich and 2 apples comes to about $8. Since early Summer I've lost at least 5 pounds, and a belt notch by buying my lunches there every day instead of food courts. It's slightly cheaper, and tastes better. Most grocery stores offer similar lunch options now. Longo's is just the closest to my work. Now I wonder why I ever ate from food courts before.

Kunohara

Kraftwerk said:

I am fucking done with Bell. Jesus christ these people. Last year they sent me a bill for $900 and disconnected all my services. After being on the phone for 2 hours they reconnected everything and corrected the mistake, didn't even say sorry once tho.

NOW YESTERDAY..

I received a big package. I open it up and inside is a huge gigantic black modem. It's from bell..Of course I am confused so I call bell.

Basically, they claimed that I had ordered the most expensive internet package they have on a 2 year contract to get a special bundle offer. o_______o

"Well, I will fix this problem. Now, to cancel this you will have to pay a $300-$400 fee. Would you like to do a Credit Card payment?"

O_____O

At that moment, I had to clap. I literally clapped. I was in awe of these masterminds.

Another 30 minutes of arguing and I told them I am done, cancelling everything. Come pick your shit up ASAP.

TL;DR FUCK BELL CANADA

I wanted to know, iIf I get an antenna, what channels will I have? Also, if there is another company besides Bell and Rogers that provides TV service.

I cancelled their internet about 2 months ago. I had returned their modem and I checked and it was delivered successfully. On my next bill, I don't see any extra charges so I assumed that everything was good. So I threw away the Canada Post receipt (big mistake), this next bill (I still have phone with them, not any more after this) I get a $75 non return modem fee. Uhh, I fucking returned the thing. I tried posting my problem on dslreports.com on the bell direct forum, and I told them I don't have the receipt any more because I thought everything was fine. They've never responded. I am fucking furious.

So now, when I call to cancel my home phone, and if they won't return my fee, I am going to call them every day and bug them until they do it. i don't fucking care how long it takes, I am gonna call every day until someone does it.

cbox

Kraftwerk said:

NOW YESTERDAY..

O_____O

TL;DR FUCK BELL CANADA

Demand to speak with higher ups and get that shit fixed, When i called in 3yrs ago to cancel my internet, I immediately asked to talk to a manager or supervisor.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
When I was moving from Seattle back to San Francisco, I had a similar issue with a modem. I shipped it off to the cable company, but a few months later I had a collection notice that I owed them for the modem. Just had to pay it off, because I had no proof. Learning mistake; now I buy my modems. :p

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
EvilMario said:
I will try it when I'm out with the wife, but I can't justify spending that much for myself when I just need a quick snack. Good to hear that it's a decent burger though. After the disappointment with Burger Priest, I've nearly given up on these sorts of places.
Burger priest is bad?? What are the better places? I haven't been there in a bit so it's hard for me to say.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kuro Madoushi said:
Burger priest is bad?? What are the better places? I haven't been there in a bit so it's hard for me to say.

The only good thing I have to say about Burger Priest from the one time we visited, based on the highest recommendations (but people like Burrito Boyz too, so it's tough to trust someone), is the beef. The freshly ground beef is great, but everything else is terrible.

Let's start with the portions vs. cost. Everything is small, the burger, the fries, the toppings. The buns are the stick to your throat sort of cheap McDonalds crap. The fries are soggy in a bag less than an fist full in amount.

Their menu is limited too, even when you throw in the 'secret menu'. And you pay a step price for the 'secret menu'. If the place was half the price, it would be an okay joint to grab a burger from once in a while.

But it's small, busy, will not fill you up, will empty your wallet, not to mention the people working there look like they're in some sort of burger-hell.

I'd rather eat at BQM (east end location, not the lesser Queen West one), or even Craft Burger if I wanted a $10-15 burger. I find it difficult to believe we'll ever try Priest again, because BQM is close by and I'd rather still be hungry after that price.

typo said:
Doesn't it feel good to have alternatives these days? Fuck Bell Canada. And rogers

fixed. I am so thankful for wind, moblicity and tekseavy . I hated both of this companies and still do for what they did to me for longggg time. In case of rogers 8 years and bell 10. Fuck them.

Azih

crazy monkey said:
fixed. I am so thankful for wind, moblicity and tekseavy . I hated both of this companies and still do for what they did to me for longggg time. In case of rogers 8 years and bell 10. Fuck them.

I need to get someone with Wind to come to my apartment so I can check the reception. Srsly considering ditching Bell land line for an awesome phone plan.

Stet

Banned
EvilMario said:
The only good thing I have to say about Burger Priest from the one time we visited, based on the highest recommendations (but people like Burrito Boyz too, so it's tough to trust someone), is the beef. The freshly ground beef is great, but everything else is terrible.

Let's start with the portions vs. cost. Everything is small, the burger, the fries, the toppings. The buns are the stick to your throat sort of cheap McDonalds crap. The fries are soggy in a bag less than an fist full in amount.

Their menu is limited too, even when you throw in the 'secret menu'. And you pay a step price for the 'secret menu'. If the place was half the price, it would be an okay joint to grab a burger from once in a while.

But it's small, busy, will not fill you up, will empty your wallet, not to mention the people working there look like they're in some sort of burger-hell.

I'd rather eat at BQM (east end location, not the lesser Queen West one), or even Craft Burger if I wanted a $10-15 burger. I find it difficult to believe we'll ever try Priest again, because BQM is close by and I'd rather still be hungry after that price.

A big problem with Toronto eateries is that people tend to go where the "fad" crowds are, for some reason. Hence why Utopia is always packed, why Burrito Boyz takes forever despite the fact that it's just shit food made by teenagers, and why BlogTO's top-10 lists are always full of mediocre joints packed by trendy people.

The only places in Toronto that I've ever found where the overnight popularity was a good sign were Guu and The Black Hoof.

Brandson

Kraftwerk said:
I wanted to know, iIf I get an antenna, what channels will I have?

I've been living without cable since 2008, opting for an OTA HD antenna and Teksavvy since then. Teksavvy DSL is pretty excellent, although it's not as fast as their cable options now. I'm considering switching to Teksavvy cable sometime, but I really don't want Rogers to come anywhere near my house.

Anyway, my first antenna attempt was by using one of Radio Shack's HD antennas with a built in amplifier in my old apartment (Yonge and College), pointed at a window. With that I could get CBC, CTV, Global, a bunch of Omni stations, and very, very occasionally NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, and CW. Now I'm living in a house in Midtown-ish and had an antenna installed on my roof. With that I get NBC, NBC Universal Sports (don't get your hopes up, it only shows triathlon repeats from 4+ years ago), CBS, CBC, ABC, CTV, TVO, Fox, CityTV, Global, Omni, CW, Sun, and other random channels I never watch. The signal on these channels is pretty stable about 90-99% of the time. The US channels sometimes cut out based on the weather, but it's pretty rare. It seemed to happen a lot during the NBA Finals on ABC last year though, which was pretty irritating. I get the US NBC feed for football games, including the Super Bowl with all the US commercials, and the HD quality on most broadcasts is stellar. You will miss out on most sports though, especially the NBA, and you will never see a Raptors game ever again. Still, I don't regret going with an antenna at all.

One of these years we'll be able to subscribe to all the sports on 360 or PS3. I just wish the NBA and Tennis Channel would get their act together in Canada faster.

Stet said:
A big problem with Toronto eateries is that people tend to go where the "fad" crowds are, for some reason. Hence why Utopia is always packed, why Burrito Boyz takes forever despite the fact that it's just shit food made by teenagers, and why BlogTO's top-10 lists are always full of mediocre joints packed by trendy people.

The only places in Toronto that I've ever found where the overnight popularity was a good sign were Guu and The Black Hoof.

"Stockyards" has a lot of hype. and holy shit did it ever live up to it for me.

Brandson

Stet said:

I totally agree. None of my favourite burger places made the BlogTO list. The best burgers I've had are at Bloor Street Diner, Great Cooks on Eight, Bannock, Nota Bene, and the Gourmet Burger Co. South St. Burger is definitely the best "cheap" burger place I've tried. I wish there was one in the Path.

Roto13

I should get an antenna. I haven't actually watched TV in a traditional sense in years. I'd like to be able to get local channels for things like the news. Just stuff I can't easily download or watch on Netflix.

Stet said:
Actually haven't been there. I've been meaning to, though!

It's amazing.. just make sure you go on one of the days when they are serving ribs.. and don't go too late or the ribs will be sold out and you will be stuck buying something else (the other things on the menu are awesome too though so it's not all bad)

Kuro Madoushi said:
Hmmm...lotta burger joints I haven't tried.

Apache gets a lot of Leaf love, but it's not great and faaaaAAR too.

Yeah. Apache is terrible! I couldn't believe that place has hype. It reminded me of bad fast food.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
http://www.torontolife.com/daily/informer/ford-focus/2011/10/20/john-filion-wants-to-curb-rob-fords-powers/

A municipal politics lesson courtesy of the Toronto Star: the employee and labour relations committee, made up mainly of Rob Ford’s allies, has the power to lock out city workers—without council’s approval. So, in an effort to add a little more consultation to the bargaining process, John Filion is proposing making council approval necessary. His proposal—which, really, will probably never get beyond the Ford-friendly executive committee—would lessen the city’s bargaining power while also keeping the mayor on a shorter leash, because apparently rumours have him worried that Ford “might be planning to do something impulsive.”

Go go, my Willowdale councillor go!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Well, that's that. For anyone curious about the process, this was my day.

I went in early, spent an hour in the Second Cup above St Clair Station studying the guide one last time. The guide about 45 pages of information, but a lot of it is just fluff. Reading through it and doing the practice tests around a hundred times, you can see the information you need to memorize quite clearly.

About fifteen minutes early, I ventured over to the CIC building. The room, containing around 60 chairs in a very 'class room' looking format, is almost full already. The desk we're given are tiny. I do believe they may have stolen them from some first grade classroom. Around 1:15, the CIC interviewers come in and the lead one gives instructions.

First, we need to prove we are who we say we around. With around 50-60 people and 3 interviewers this could take '2-3 hours' she says, as the room collectively groans. I'd say most people spent about 10 minutes, confirming travel outside the country, talking about where they're from, and a few did become a bit heated when there were conflicting pieces of information from the stamps on passports.

Just to break away for a minute; the make up of this crowd was roughly 60% Asian, with surprisingly no South Asians, 20% Middle Eastern, and 20% Euro-ethnicity. There were about 10 people that were 55 and over, and thus didn't have to take the test. The majority of the crowd was in my age range, looking anywhere from early 20s to mid 30s.

Although I had to wait nearly 2 hours for my name to be called, my interview was over quickly. I haven't traveled anywhere since I submitted my application, and coming from the States, my information is pretty simple to verify. They basically just look at your passport, and travel documents, and make small chat to determine if you can speak English (or French).. and throw in a couple questions about where you grew up, and why you came to Canada.

Soon after, as I was one of the last interviewees, the test came. I was fretting I would receive one of the test with all the off-beat, or 'weirdly' worded questions, but the test I received was simple. I was the first finished in about 3 minutes, which seemed to take the interviewers by surprise, as they were shuffling around doing paper work. 2 hours of sitting, 3 minute test. lawls

Sadly, they won't tell you if you pass, or fail on the spot. Although they do scan your test just to confirm it can read everything. I would be very surprised if I got any of the questions wrong however. In about 2-3 weeks I'll receive a letter confirming I passed, and my ceremony date. Or a letter telling me to go see a judge. My ceremony should be in December, or January. Probably in the middle of a blizzard. Very Canadian.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
EvilMario said:
Well, that's that. For anyone curious about the process, this was my day.

I went in early, spent an hour in the Second Cup above St Clair Station studying the guide one last time. The guide about 45 pages of information, but a lot of it is just fluff. Reading through it and doing the practice tests around a hundred times, you can see the information you need to memorize quite clearly.

About fifteen minutes early, I ventured over to the CIC building. The room, containing around 60 chairs in a very 'class room' looking format, is almost full already. The desk we're given are tiny. I do believe they may have stolen them from some first grade classroom. Around 1:15, the CIC interviewers come in and the lead one gives instructions.

First, we need to prove we are who we say we around. With around 50-60 people and 3 interviewers this could take '2-3 hours' she says, as the room collectively groans. I'd say most people spent about 10 minutes, confirming travel outside the country, talking about where they're from, and a few did become a bit heated when there were conflicting pieces of information from the stamps on passports.

Just to break away for a minute; the make up of this crowd was roughly 60% Asian, with surprisingly no South Asians, 20% Middle Eastern, and 20% Euro-ethnicity. There were about 10 people that were 55 and over, and thus didn't have to take the test. The majority of the crowd was in my age range, looking anywhere from early 20s to mid 30s.

Although I had to wait nearly 2 hours for my name to be called, my interview was over quickly. I haven't traveled anywhere since I submitted my application, and coming from the States, my information is pretty simple to verify. They basically just look at your passport, and travel documents, and make small chat to determine if you can speak English (or French).. and throw in a couple questions about where you grew up, and why you came to Canada.

Soon after, as I was one of the last interviewees, the test came. I was fretting I would receive one of the test with all the off-beat, or 'weirdly' worded questions, but the test I received was simple. I was the first finished in about 3 minutes, which seemed to take the interviewers by surprise, as they were shuffling around doing paper work. 2 hours of sitting, 3 minute test. lawls

Sadly, they won't tell you if you pass, or fail on the spot. Although they do scan your test just to confirm it can read everything. I would be very surprised if I got any of the questions wrong however. In about 2-3 weeks I'll receive a letter confirming I passed, and my ceremony date. Or a letter telling me to go see a judge. My ceremony should be in December, or January. Probably in the middle of a blizzard. Very Canadian.

Congrats! Odds are you passed. Now you just need to find a very Canadian way to celebrate. Uhm... get drunk.

mf.luder

Oh man do I miss Toronto. Just got off the greyhound and strolling around the eaton center. The lower level food court is blowing my mind.

Sad that I'm just visiting for the night.

EvilMario said:
In about 2-3 weeks I'll receive a letter confirming I passed, and my ceremony date. Or a letter telling me to go see a judge

Miniature Canadian flags for all!!!

(I actually bought 25 miniature Canadian flags on the day my wife got her permanent residence and we went to a bar and waved them around with friends. What a fun night!)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
added_time said:
Miniature Canadian flags for all!!!

(I actually bought 25 miniature Canadian flags on the day my wife got her permanent residence and we went to a bar and waved them around with friends. What a fun night!)

I don't know what we're doing yet after the ceremony, but 25 miniature Canadian flags sounds like a good start. Thanks for the idea!

I saw a truck with a license plate: "FER GAF".

Which one of you is it? :lol

After laughing a bit at it, I saw the Toronto FC logo in the back...

Maybe it's subliminally backwards and insulting the refs! D:

Kraftwerk

Well, my Bell Ordeal just came to an end thanks to ConvenientBox. That was fast.

TL;DR They apologised and gave a MASSIVE discount on all my services for the next 3 years. Basically 50% off everything.

:bow ConvenientBox :bow:

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kraftwerk said:
Well, my Bell Ordeal just came to an end thanks to ConvenientBox. That was fast.

TL;DR They apologised and gave a MASSIVE discount on all my services for the next 3 years. Basically 50% off everything.

:bow ConvenientBox :bow:

But you are still giving money to Bell. Noooooo..

Firestorm

Ah fuck I forgot I still owe Bell $18. I was going to fight it but I just don't have the time or patience. They have the worst support I've ever had to get through.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Bell is run by morons. When I left my last apartment I called Bell to see how I could return their modem. They told me that they'd ship me a return package. They never did, so I still have their modem. *shrug*

Oppo

I'm off contract next summer with Rogers, and there's no fucking way I'll sign up for another 3 years. I'm going to pick up an unlocked 4S at some point. Pricey, but it gets you off the goddamned merrigoround.

Last straw for me was running into the new 30-month contract, which they just put me on. So even though I have a 3GS from launch, I still don't qualify for an upgrade without an "extra fee". Such pirates.

Hopefully at some point next year there will be a number of the smaller players who can support iPhones. Or I'll have to do Telus, 'cause no way am I going back to Bell either.

whitehawk said:
If you are ever in the east end, try out Square Boy by coxwell and danforth. Great burger, large helping of fries and a can of pop = $4.86 including tax. So cheap, and still my favourite burger place in town. Actually if you don't care about price, South Street Burger Co. is my favourite.
Dude, try the homeburger here. EASILY one of the best in town.

Great owners here too. They've owned it for well over 25 years.

It's also closer to Donlands/Danforth than Coxwell.

Top Bottom