• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Roto13

Zombie James said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates this heat. Sometimes I feel like I'm the weird one when you're doing 20kph on the highway and the radio personalities keep talking about how "fantastic" and "perfect" this weather is. They're fucking crazy, along with everyone on CP24 and CityTV. CBC gets it: OPPRESSIVE.
I hate people who love heat like this. Like they'd be happiest if the earth was just swallowed by the sun.

ZZMitch

I am in Toronto right now visiting UofT!

Damn that mall at the Eaton Center is huge. I have never seen anything like it!

It was also really hot.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Good lord this heat man. I don't care that I'll complain if it's too cold or too hot but jeez! I play a lot of baseball in the summer and today having to go from 1:30pm until 7 out in that sun in full baseball gear is not fun.

I'm pretty sure I went through at least 5-7 bottles of gatorade/water in that time.

Sober

Roto13 said:
I hate people who love heat like this. Like they'd be happiest if the earth was just swallowed by the sun.
Winter can't come soon enough. Wish I had vacation at this time of the year just to get out of this. Saw the thermometer hit 40C up here in Markham this afternoon, HOW IS IT POSSIBLE.

Kraftwerk

Utopia

So after hearing how 'amazing" this place is from a bunch of people, me and 2 other friends decided to check it out.

-Beer took 15 minutes

-Completely forgot about my whiskey sour order

-Didn't remember that we wanted, messed my salad up.

-Friend asked for well-done, got a medium-rare/rare instead.

-The waiter said, and I swear to God I quote " Oh tehee sometimes I get forgetful" Then went away.

I know it's busy, but come on. I am a VERY patient person, but the service and food was very sloppy.

This one cute Asian girl was busting her ass out serving people while the 2 other one were in constant slow-mode.

Ruined our whole night. Will not recommend this to anyone.

Roto13

ZZMitch said:

It was also really hot.
Metrotown kind of ruined the Eaton Center for me. :p

Draff

Grroan,
With all of this heat, I would have thought that my work place would be more lenient with the dress code

ZZMitch said:

It was also really hot.
The Eaton Centre is huge? You've never seen anything like it? Where are you from? It's a pretty standard sized "big city mall".

Arthrus

Today was an awful day to start my training for a marathon. An hour and a half in, I had been baked to a crisp by the sun and stopped sweating. I had to stop for the day, take a cold shower, and drink a few liters of water.

ZZMitch

lunarworks said:
The Eaton Centre is huge? You've never seen anything like it? Where are you from? It's a pretty standard sized "big city mall".

I live in Maine, our biggest city has 65,000 people.

srst

Eaton Centre is the third largest mall in Canada. Other malls in GTA and surrounding isn't that great, except Yorkdale.

Stet

Banned
Kraftwerk said:
Utopia

So after hearing how 'amazing" this place is from a bunch of people, me and 2 other friends decided to check it out.

-Beer took 15 minutes

-Completely forgot about my whiskey sour order

-Didn't remember that we wanted, messed my salad up.

-Friend asked for well-done, got a medium-rare/rare instead.

-The waiter said, and I swear to God I quote " Oh tehee sometimes I get forgetful" Then went away.

I know it's busy, but come on. I am a VERY patient person, but the service and food was very sloppy.

This one cute Asian girl was busting her ass out serving people while the 2 other one were in constant slow-mode.

Ruined our whole night. Will not recommend this to anyone.

Utopia doesn't deserve the line-up out the door they always have in the summer. Certain restaurants (Guu, Black Hoof) can pull off the "no reservations" policy and it's totally worth it. Utopia, on the other hand, is a glorified burger joint. No thank you.

Zombie James said:
I'm not looking forward to spending nearly two hours on the 401 and 404 in a car with wonky AC.
I just returned our vacation rental car, which had wonderful A/C.

This evening I'm driving the work car, which has NO A/C.

On the 401.

All the way from Dixie to Kennedy.

FML.

Roto13

Helmholtz said:
My AC decided to break yesterday :(
I feel so bad for you. I really do. I've been thanking god every day (and especially ever night) for the fact that I have a working air conditioner in my apartment. It's not the greatest air conditioner ever, but it keeps me cool and comfortable and that's all I can ask for. I'd be in pretty bad shape if it decided to die on my now.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
What's the average wait time for the Black Hoof for a weekday dinner? Want to go this thursday, but it'll be deathly hot outside if we have to wait too long.

Toronto's economy is in top spot among the country's major cities in CIBC World Markets' latest Canadian Metropolitan Economic Activity Index rankings.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/July2011/18/c5856.html

CIBC Metropolitan Economic Activity Index (2011 Q1)

Rank CMA 3Q Moving Average

1. Toronto 25.04
2. Kitchener 19.02
3. Winnipeg 18.00
4. Regina 17.71
5. Montréal 17.21
6. Québec City 16.60
7. Vancouver 14.50
8. Halifax 14.13
9. Ottawa 13.96
10. Hamilton 11.26
11. Edmonton 11.16
12. Trois-Rivières 9.97
13. Sudbury 9.86
14. St. John's 8.90
15. Calgary 8.03
16. London 7.01
17. Victoria 6.07
18. St. Catharines-Niagara 4.58
19. Saskatoon 2.78
20. Kingston 1.47
21. Windsor 1.43
22. Sherbrooke 0.49
23. Saint John -0.12
24. Thunder Bay -0.82
25. Saguenay -2.65

Average of 25 CMAs 9.42

Firestorm

Sober said:
Being unemployed finally has its benefits, I just stay home with the AC on :)
Workweek has benefits for me. Work has AC. Home does not.

Roto13 said:
Metrotown kind of ruined the Eaton Center for me. :p
I used to work at the Sears in Metrotown. It would take me 10 mins to get to work from entering the mall from the Skytrain entrance x.x

You know, I really don't like hot weather or extremely cold weather.. however, I still really like Summer and Winter.
I try not to complain too much about any season even though I prefer spring and fall. I guess I would just hate to lose any season even though I like some more than others.

I couldn't imagine playing Animal Crossing and seeing snow fall and know that I live somewhere that never happens.

I guess I'm saying that even though Toronto's climate has a bad reputation because of its extremes, it suits my preferences just fine.

Really hot and humid weather, especially like in Toronto can be a fucking bitch, but if I had to choose between Winter and this you best believe I'm taking the heat.

Been living in Toronto for 3 months now (lived here a long time ago when I just moved to Canada but that doesnt count). Its a nice city with lots of stuff to do but the traffic can go fuck off. Doesnt help that the TTC is a pile of shit. Also the parking police are douches. And everything costs too much.

But the traffic really makes me wish my internship was finally over. Otherwise I really like the city.

-Pyromaniac- said:
Really hot and humid weather, especially like in Toronto can be a fucking bitch, but if I had to choose between Winter and this you best believe I'm taking the heat.

I'll take winter any day. At least then I'll be able to sleep and not wake up in small pool of sweat.

Brinbe

-Pyromaniac- said:
Yeah living in downtown Toronto is a hassle, IMO. I live in the GTA, gladly not downtown.
Man, I have the totally opposite opinion. Don't think I'd be able to cope anywhere else but down here. I'm at Bloor/Sherbourne now, for reference-sake. But I grew up on Queen St W/across from Trinity Park, and have lived in Parkdale for a few years.

Zombie James said:
I'll take winter any day. At least then I'll be able to sleep and not wake up in small pool of sweat.
step up your air conditioning game!

Brinbe said:
Man, I have the totally opposite opinion. Don't think I'd be able to cope anywhere else but down here. I'm at Bloor/Sherbourne now, for reference-sake. But I grew up on Queen St W/across from Trinity Park, and have lived in Parkdale for a few years.
to each his own I guess, I think downtown is great, just wouldn't want to live there, but no doubt in my mind there are tons that love living there and can't imagine life anywhere else.

dudeworld

a good solution to beating the heat is to just sleep in your basement, if you have one. It's amazing how cold they stay despite extremely high temperatures.

-Pyromaniac- said:
step up your air conditioning game!

It doesn't reach my room all that well. I might as well just sleep in my basement but the last time I slept on my couch it killed my neck for two days.

Brinbe said:
Yeah living on Degrassi street with all these kids running around with their problems really ruins the neighborhood for me.

cbox

dudeworld said:
a good solution to beating the heat is to just sleep in your basement, if you have one. It's amazing how cold they stay despite extremely high temperatures.

I have my office in the basement, Cool dry and so awesome in the summer.

Rinoa

Some anime-related Toronto things...

http://www.facebook.com/AnimeXtreme.ca
AnimeXtreme now has a facebook page where sales and such will be posted

http://www.atomiclollipop.ca/
Atomic Lollipop is a new convention on July 30-31 at the Sheraton Toronto Hotel & Conference Centre

http://www.tfcon.ca/
Transformers Con is July 30th - 31st at Delta Meadowvale Resort and Conference Centre

http://www.fanexpocanada.com/
Fan Expo is now 4 days long on August 25-28 at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre

Roto13 said:
I like living downtown because I can just walk everywhere. Screw the TTC and driving.

Same here. I walk for pretty much all my day to day stuff and just hop on the subway for things that are too far. It's a great life!
I couldn't say the same when I lived in the suburbs and had to drive for even the most meaningless outing (like going to the bank, grocery shopping etc...).
I feel so free (and healthy) now!

somesayyea said:
Toronto's economy is in top spot among the country's major cities in CIBC World Markets' latest Canadian Metropolitan Economic Activity Index rankings.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/July2011/18/c5856.html

CIBC Metropolitan Economic Activity Index (2011 Q1)

Rank CMA 3Q Moving Average

1. Toronto 25.04
2. Kitchener 19.02
3. Winnipeg 18.00
4. Regina 17.71
5. Montréal 17.21
6. Québec City 16.60
7. Vancouver 14.50
8. Halifax 14.13
9. Ottawa 13.96
10. Hamilton 11.26
11. Edmonton 11.16
12. Trois-Rivières 9.97
13. Sudbury 9.86
14. St. John's 8.90
15. Calgary 8.03
16. London 7.01
17. Victoria 6.07
18. St. Catharines-Niagara 4.58
19. Saskatoon 2.78
20. Kingston 1.47
21. Windsor 1.43
22. Sherbrooke 0.49
23. Saint John -0.12
24. Thunder Bay -0.82
25. Saguenay -2.65

Average of 25 CMAs 9.42

Rob Ford is going to take credit.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Divvy said:
What's the average wait time for the Black Hoof for a weekday dinner? Want to go this thursday, but it'll be deathly hot outside if we have to wait too long.

Anyone?

Quick

Banned
Firestorm said:
I'm probably gonna go to Fan Expo and it'll also be my last weekend in Ontario. Anyone wanna do a meetup? :)

Nice. I'm going as well, but I'm still deciding whether to go for all 4 days or just a couple.

Top Bottom