• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Conceptor

Getting to class tomorrow is going to be brutal, but at least all the buildings have air conditioning lol. Hope it gets a little cooler towards the end of the day :X

AlphaTwo00 said:
The smart way of doing things.

Or a public library, you know, those things that Doug Ford thinks we have too many of:

http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/07/tim_hortons_vs_toronto_public_libraries_mashup/
Yeah, when I saw that earlier today I lol'd.

I'm not sure what was more sad: that D-Ford obviously didn't put one iota of thought into what he said, or that he implies that donuts are more important to his local community than promotion of literacy.

Our political leadership, ladies and gentlemen.

Draff

BladeWorker said:
Yeah, when I saw that earlier today I lol'd.

I'm not sure what was more sad: that D-Ford obviously didn't put one iota of thought into what he said, or that he implies that donuts are more important to his local community than promotion of literacy.

Our political leadership, ladies and gentlemen.

I'm very curious about what Rob Ford's support base thinks of all of this. Surely, people are recognizing his (and Doug's) stupidity... right?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why Rob Ford is voting against funding programs like for HIV prevention, aboriginal health etc. Is he doing it for symbolic reasons? Is this what people in his constituent wants?

mf.luder

I'm partaking in the VW event at the CNE this weekend. You get to book a VW car for an hour with a professional (their term) driver on a closed course. Golf TDI and Jetta TDI. I'm doing car research.

Draff said:
I'm very curious about what Rob Ford's support base thinks of all of this. Surely, people are recognizing his (and Doug's) stupidity... right?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why Rob Ford is voting against funding programs like for HIV prevention, aboriginal health etc. Is he doing it for symbolic reasons? Is this what people in his constituent wants?

In terms of policy, Ford is a Tea Partier (Government is bad and should provide nothing), and a badly educated one at that.

Roto13

Zombie James said:
Reducing the size of the police force.
Considering one-officer patrols in certain cases.
Closing some library branches and reducing hours at others.
Selling the Toronto Zoo.
Scrapping the Toronto Atmospheric Fund, which provides grants to a host of environmental programs.
Eliminating late-night TTC bus service.
Eliminating public health community programs that fund AIDS prevention strategies.
Every single one of these is a bad idea.

The problem is that Ford assumed the gravy was in City Hall. When the gravy reserves were found to be quite low, the consultants had no choice but to look elsewhere. Outside of increasing user fees for certain things, all of their suggestions won't fly in Toronto's core (emphasis on core).

Especially less cops on the streets.

ConvenientBox said:
Doesn't it cost an arm and a leg to have consultants come in?
Ri1vr.jpg

Anyway, Rob Ford was elected into office because he bought his own office supplies and thought that would translate well into "fixing" a city that was already running well.

And to get rid of those selfish cyclists and build a subway to keep poor people off buses that were taking too much space on the roads for drivers getting gouged paying 60 dollars a year..............who may soon have to pay far more than that in road tolls.......doh?

Edit - heat induced Ford rage

BigJonsson said:
And to get rid of those selfish cyclists and build a subway to keep poor people off buses that were taking too much space on the roads for drivers getting gouged paying 60 dollars a month..............who may soon have to pay far more than that in road tolls.......doh?

It was $60/year, not month.

People believe anything they see on the news. Even though Toronto was and is booming even during worldwide economic uncertainty, you just need to tell people that it isn't and they believe it.

added_time said:
People believe anything they see on the news. Even though Toronto was and is booming even during worldwide economic uncertainty, you just need to tell people that it isn't and they believe it.

Better off people who don't need to use the services the city provides and funds with tax dollars feel they shouldn't have to give their money to the people that need those services......they couldn't care less if immigration and recreational services are gutted..........as long as their taxes go down

And not so well off people tend to think that the politician that is "just one of the guys" is just like them and forget that they are LOADED and don't care about poor people

Flash

not to mention Ford's competition failed. They let Ford's BS run rampant and barely attempted to disprove him.

Ugh, I still can't wrap my brain around the idea that someone like him could possibly be the mayor of Toronto, of all cities. I don't think the city as a whole could be more misrepresented (well, at least the core of Toronto).

Azih

Why oh Why didn't John Tory run? Why didn't David Miller re-run?

The problem in the election was that no one *no one* was defending the Miller years so it just become some sort of bizzare accepted fact that the Miller years were horrible when they were anything but. The dude took a City hall that was incredibly corrupt and a financial basket case and fixed the finances while improving the city and laying down amazingly well thought out long term plans for improvement besides that were funded and just starting to kick in for fuck's sake and not one soul mentioned any of that. Every freaking candidate was on a "TORONTO IS DOOMED WE MUST FIX IT" kick and Ford was just better at that kind of braindead populism than anybody else. Giambrone's insane crash and burn didn't help and Mammoliti was and is just a total moron.

God.

Zzoram

Zombie James said:

Reducing the size of the police force.
Considering one-officer patrols in certain cases.
Closing some library branches and reducing hours at others.
Selling the Toronto Zoo.
Scrapping the Toronto Atmospheric Fund, which provides grants to a host of environmental programs.
Eliminating late-night TTC bus service.
Eliminating public health community programs that fund AIDS prevention strategies

Um, WHAT?

I bet none of these things cost much relative to the benefit they serve the community.

Of course the fat ass thinks donuts are more important than literacy.

Of course the entitled rich prick thinks that police are safe patrolling alone.

Of course the conservative homophobe thinks that AIDS is a problem only for gays and they should burn in hell for being gay.

His extreme hatred for public transit is fucking retarded, no late-night TTC? Everyone who lives in Toronto proper uses the TTC, especially all the people coming out of the bars drunk. Get rid of the late-night TTC and you'll have tons of drunk drivers instead. But I suppose Ford doesn't mind that, since his multiple drunk driving charges suggest that he thinks it's cool to drive drunk.

Dyno

I don't even think Ford is keen on being a mayor for very long, just a single term and then I bet he makes a move to the provincial or federal level.

Kunohara

Zzoram said:
Um, WHAT?

I bet none of these things cost much relative to the benefit they serve the community.

Of course the fat ass thinks donuts are more important than literacy.

Of course the entitled rich prick thinks that police are safe patrolling alone.

Of course the conservative homophobe thinks that AIDS is a problem only for gays and they should burn in hell for being gay.

His extreme hatred for public transit is fucking retarded, no late-night TTC? Everyone who lives in Toronto proper uses the TTC, especially all the people coming out of the bars drunk. Get rid of the late-night TTC and you'll have tons of drunk drivers instead. But I suppose Ford doesn't mind that, since his multiple drunk driving charges suggest that he thinks it's cool to drive drunk.

Seriously. No late TTC service is just asking for people to drive drunk. That is fucking scary. I bet the taxi companies would love for that to go through though.

Does anyone know how much it costs the city every year for all of our libraries? It just really doesn't seem worth it get rid of them. Ford saying we have so many libraries as if it's a bad thing is insane. It is awesome that we have so many.

Zzoram

I'm still so mad that Ford got elected. It was obvious what he would be like once he got elected. Slash and burn anything that doesn't directly benefit the rich living in the suburbs. Ruin Toronto for the people living in the core.

Zzoram

I hope everyone votes against his ideas, and it's only him and his brother standing alone, looking like lunatics.

cbox

Kunohara said:
Seriously. No late TTC service is just asking for people to drive drunk. That is fucking scary. I bet the taxi companies would love for that to go through though.

Does anyone know how much it costs the city every year for all of our libraries? It just really doesn't seem worth it get rid of them. Ford saying we have so many libraries as if it's a bad thing is insane. It is awesome that we have so many.

God this reminds me when my city in simcity 4 was severely in debt, I destroyed all the libraries and museums in my city to get back some money and watched the education plummet because of it...

It's scary how realistic that game can be...

Zzoram

ConvenientBox said:
God this reminds me when my city in simcity 4 was severely in debt, I destroyed all the libraries and museums in my city to get back some money and watched the education plummet because of it...

It's scary how realistic that game can be...

Ford is actually creating the debt that he then uses to justify cutting useful and cost-effective services.

He cut the $60/year car tax creating a hole in the budget he wants to now fill by making police patrol without a partner and ending late-night bus service for drunken bar patrons, encouraging drunk driving.

Then he wants to cut the land transfer tax to justify shutting down homeless shelters, libraries, and AIDS prevention campaigns.

Stet

Banned
Zzoram said:
I hope everyone votes against his ideas, and it's only him and his brother standing alone, looking like lunatics.
Won't happen. Ford has a ton of supporters on the council that vote with him on a myriad of issues that they normally wouldn't. As an example, 8 councillors voted a few weeks ago to remove the Jarvis bike lanes that had previously voted to put those lanes in two years ago. Ford Nation.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The comments section of that article is incredibly asinine.

Stop TTC after 12am is a good move. it will further cut down crimes.

Every year there is an inflation and if they raise your taxes like Miller used to do, you get a smaller paycheck, then the city might not be in a deficit but your WALLET WILL BE and you will go bankrupt.

It is grade 7 math people.

dont see how supporting people on welfare, some multicultural groups ill never ever visit, etc. are essential for the community, simply, useless public services have to go and I am glad someone has to guts to do it.

It was very easy for the Liberal to do charity work with other people's money.

Zzoram

Stopping public transit at night will reduce crime?

LOLOLOL

Fucking Ford Nation. Toronto is going to suffer and it's probably never going to end now that the suburbs control the mayor that has the most impact on the core.

More details on the bright ideas from those idiot consultants (some are repeats from the link above):

Toronto Police Service
Reduce the size of the service through attrition.
Reduce the size of the service through budgetary means such as reducing temporary hiring or providing incentives for early retirement.
Reduce bylaw enforcement and parking enforcement.
Consider options for delivery of call taking and dispatch such as combining fire, ambulance and police.

TTC
Consider use of contractors for some TTC services.
Consider rolling back some of the service improvements from the Ridership Growth Strategy.
Cut late-night buses.

Toronto Parking Authority
Sell off street parking facilities.
Implement a pay by cell parking system

Affordable housing
Consider eliminating housing improvement loan program.
Consider a stronger consolidation of housing and homelessness planning and program delivery.

Toronto Zoo
Restructure as a self-supporting non-profit corporation.

Libraries
Close branches
Reduce hours

Exhibition Place
Consider integrating with Ontario Place.
Consider selling city interest.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...o-final-report-suggests-deepest-cuts-yet?bn=1

Privatize some TTC bus routes, roll back service improvements on crowding standards and frequency of arrivals, consider eliminating “Blue Night” overnight bus service or charging a premium fare, contract out Wheel Trans and/or make criteria stricter for it so fewer disabled people qualify. Also sell off TTC parking lots.

I can't facepalm hard enough.

Zzoram

I don't understand how people can vote for these hard C conservatives. The things they want to do strike me as petty ways to lash out at the poor and the weak who have no control over their circumstances.

zero_suit

Zzoram said:
I don't understand how people can vote for these hard C conservatives. The things they want to do strike me as petty ways to lash out at the poor and the weak who have no control over their circumstances.

Hmm, it seems like our (US) stupidity is spreading to Canada.

Zzoram

It's actually an all out attack on public transit.

If they get rid of the parking lots associated with TTC services, they'll prevent tons of people from using public transit. Obviously cutting night time service is terrible for the poor people working night shifts, and the drunken bar patrons who may now drive home drunk. Reducing access for wheelchairs too, very low Mr.Ford.

Zzoram

Firestorm said:
How was this guy elected o.o

He said he'd cut the $60/year car tax. He professed his hatred of gays and how he thinks AIDS is a gay disease. He told people how little he thought of immigrants. The rich suburbs decided they wanted the tax cut, regardless of how badly he guts the Downtown/Core of the city, since they don't use anything there or live there.

Firestorm

Zzoram said:
He said he'd cut the $60/year car tax. He professed his hatred of gays and how he thinks AIDS is a gay disease. He told people how little he thought of immigrants. The rich suburbs decided they wanted the tax cut, regardless of how badly he guts the Downtown/Core of the city, since they don't use anything there or live there.
By suburbs do you mean areas like Markham and Mississauga (which I would think can't vote for the mayor of Toronto) or places like Scarborough and North York which are technically Toronto but not downtown?

Just wondering because this guy seems like an absolute nightmare. The bike lanes and transit thing especially blow my mind. Not the type of person I ever see winning in Vancouver but we're also much smaller. I mean, the city of Vancouver has a lower population than Winnipeg. The metro region is made up of a lot of smaller cities like Burnaby, North Vancouver, Richmond, Surrey, etc. but they all have their own mayors.

Stet

Banned
Firestorm said:
By suburbs do you mean areas like Markham and Mississauga (which I would think can't vote for the mayor of Toronto) or places like Scarborough and North York which are technically Toronto but not downtown?

Just wondering because this guy seems like an absolute nightmare. The bike lanes and transit thing especially blow my mind. Not the type of person I ever see winning in Vancouver but we're also much smaller. I mean, the city of Vancouver has a lower population than Winnipeg. The metro region is made up of a lot of smaller cities like Burnaby, North Vancouver, Richmond, Surrey, etc. but they all have their own mayors.
Imagine if Burnaby, North Van, Richmond and Surrey were all amalgamated with Vancouver proper, and now voted in a single mayor.

That's what was forced upon Toronto by Mike Harris in the '90s.

Flash

Think of the dumbest, most crude ideas possible, and there is Rob Ford's plan. And people are supporting this shit? Reading the comments to that Toronto Star article seriously makes me weep. I'm actually appalled and angered that any of this is even being considered and not laughed at on the table.

Getting rid of the blue line? Making Wheels Trans less accessible to disabled folks? getting rid of libraries and aids prevention programs? what in the fucking hell is going on... this is some April fools level shit right here.

Flash

DoctorWho said:
When he says "Cut late night buses", does he mean all of them?

Even cutting some of them would be a terrible idea.

From my experience, even now they are way too infrequent. Especially on weekends. Blue night buses are usually packed.

Top Bottom