• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Firestorm

I'll only be doing Saturday and Sunday. I don't think I'll need more time there and I can't really take more time off work.

My friend got me the 4 day pass for my birthday, but my company is having a national meeting over the weekend, and even though the hotel is only a few blocks away, I dont think Ill be able to sneak off. Hopefully the meeting end early on Saturday, so I can get s few autographs. Im definately doing Thursday, and Sunday all day. Maybe part of Saturday. :(

Quick

Banned
I have a friend or two coming with me who are new to FanExpo, and I know one of them wants to do all 4 days.

I went on Saturday last year, and the place was fucking packed to over capacity. I stepped out for lunch and had to wait an hour in a crowd (no, not a line) to get back inside. All this while carrying bags of stuff I bought. I need to be more organized this time around, I think.

Sober said:
Being unemployed finally has its benefits, I just stay home with the AC on :)
Hi5 unemployment team!

Won't be able to meetup at FanExpo (would have been a good chance to see as many people on this thread, I would bet), but I'll be at PAX.

E-DuB

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Yeah living on Degrassi street with all these kids running around with their problems really ruins the neighborhood for me.

You're next to Bonjour Brioche? I envy you. I loves me their food.

It's not even that hot. I'm loving this weather. Can't wait for 37º on thursday. Plan on going down to the Harbour Front or Cherry Beach and just bakinggggg. Gonna need SPF 100 sunscreen or some shit that day.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Can anyone recommend a place to eat downtown. Someplace possibly more ethnic? Would like to try something new.

I tried googling the answer and failed, maybe you guys can provide the answer:

How much beer (by bottles, 6-pack / 12-pack) can I bring back to the States with me? :3

I found something that if you stay for over 48 hours you can bring back 1 liter of alcohol; but I'm not looking for the hard stuff. I'm not sure if the same rule applies to the brew.

Maybe I should inquire with beer-age as well. . .

Stet

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
I tried googling the answer and failed, maybe you guys can provide the answer:

How much beer (by bottles, 6-pack / 12-pack) can I bring back to the States with me? :3

I found something that if you stay for over 48 hours you can bring back 1 liter of alcohol; but I'm not looking for the hard stuff. I'm not sure if the same rule applies to the brew.

Maybe I should inquire with beer-age as well. . .
It applies to beer, wine, and hard liquor all equally. But if you bring more than 1 litre back to the states and declare it, the amount of duty you have to pay is only dependent on the amount of actual alcohol, so you'll pay much less for beer than you would for wine or spirits.

Quick said:
I went on Saturday last year, and the place was fucking packed to over capacity. I stepped out for lunch and had to wait an hour in a crowd (no, not a line) to get back inside. All this while carrying bags of stuff I bought. I need to be more organized this time around, I think.
Yeah last year was crazy.

I am fairly certain that me and my friend are going as well. But it's probably going to be just the two or three days. I have no idea who goes to conventions on a workday like thursday, to me it seems just an excuse to charge more for admition.

Appleman

Biking an hour and a half to work yesterday was brutal in the humidity, and then crazy headwind along the M-G on the way back. Urghhh.

Rinoa

Fan Expo will probably still have lines, but it shouldn't be packed to over capacity again. I think they rented out south building this year.

Divvy said:
Can anyone recommend a place to eat downtown. Someplace possibly more ethnic? Would like to try something new.

If you like chinese food try New Sky, north of Spadina/Dundas. Their peking duck is my obsession.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
criesofthepast said:
It's not even that hot. I'm loving this weather. Can't wait for 37º on thursday. Plan on going down to the Harbour Front or Cherry Beach and just bakinggggg. Gonna need SPF 100 sunscreen or some shit that day.
If I didn't have to work in the heat then I would be fine with it. I like being out in the heat when I'm not working.

I've never been to FanExpo and will miss it this year (I'll be in Portugal) but I'm thinking of going next year and taking my cousin's son (who'll be 10 next year) because I think he'd get a real kick out of it.

Roto13

AlphaTwo00 said:
Today's the coolest day of the week.

GOD I'M GOING TO DIE
Ha ha ha ha ha, I know. It's like, hey, today is a break from the sweltering temperatures and humidity of the rest of the week. It's still awful enough for a heat warning, though.

http://thestar.blogs.com/weather360/2011/07/thursday-may-be-torontos-hottest-day-ever.html

Keep your fan on high and your water bottle handy: Thursday could be Toronto’s hottest day ever.

The temperature is expected to reach a scorching 38 C. Toronto has only been that hot once, when it reached 38.3 C on August 25, 1948 according to measurements at Pearson airport.

bt5U4.jpg

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Rafa=FedKilla said:
Yeah living on Degrassi street with all these kids running around with their problems really ruins the neighborhood for me.
Damn, I'm only a few blocks away from you. Mighy give that place another try, but I wasn't impressed the last time I went there.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Ill take it. In a few months we'll be seeing 2 feet of snow again. ENJOY it : )

edit: I wonder if it'll still be this hot during Caribana

Firestorm

Represent. said:
Ill take it. In a few months we'll be seeing 2 feet of snow again. ENJOY it : )

edit: I wonder if it'll still be this hot during Caribana
I won't! Getting the hell out of here in 1.5 months!

Zombie James said:
See, the office where I work at was supposed to move to a different office over a month ago. That new office is 5 minutes from my house. It still hasn't happened so I spend about ~1.5 hours on the road each day. And my car's AC doesn't work consistently. And when it does work is sucks gas like a mothe--- ><
I have no A/C in my car. I waited until traffic had settled down before I came home from work tonight.

How much more gas does A/C use, anyway? My girlfriend loved to blast it in the rental car.

Kunohara

My mother and sister both have asthma, and this heat has made it pretty unbearable for them. Tomorrow I have a feeling my mom might actually take the day off. My wife doesn't do to well in the heat, and she has a doc appt and then has to go to work.

But I would rather be boiling than freezing.

I can survive this temperature, I'm just concerned about the elderly and the others. I hope there aren't any brownouts tomorrow.

Except in a small section of Brampton, that would be sweet.

Sapiens

They don't anticipate any brownouts. They site that besides heavy AC use, people are actually conserving energy more these days.

cbox

Sapiens said:
They don't anticipate any brownouts. They site that besides heavy AC use, people are actually conserving energy more these days.

I dunno, my neighbour has had their AC on constantly (no lie, no exaggeration) since the heat started a few weeks ago. I can't believe a unit that old is still so reliable...

Kunohara

ConvenientBox said:
I dunno, my neighbour has had their AC on constantly (no lie, no exaggeration) since the heat started a few weeks ago. I can't believe a unit that old is still so reliable...

He's going to have a nice hydro bill this month.

Oppo

Kind of dreading tomorrow. No AC here. Working at home too. Supposed to be 38°C with no humidex. Blergh.

Magnus

I'd buy Deluxe FanExpo tickets now. They're apparently limiting the quantity they sell this year after the fiasco the last two years. Smart move. Can't believe it wasn't limited before. Hopefully they shut off at about 30,000 or something.

Zzoram said:
Is FanExpo actually good? Is it every year?
Well the guests tend to be good and it's probably a better convetion than anime north if you don't care about well anime. Personally I wouldn't say that its a great convetion but it's better than nothing if options are limited.

Yup it's annual.

Zzoram

Lostconfused said:
Well the guests tend to be good and it's probably a better convetion than anime north if you don't care about well anime. Personally I wouldn't say that its a great convetion but it's better than nothing if options are limited.

Yup it's annual.

What is there to do? What does the entrance fee cover?

Zzoram said:
Work in Starbucks instead.
The smart way of doing things.

Or a public library, you know, those things that Doug Ford thinks we have too many of:

http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/07/tim_hortons_vs_toronto_public_libraries_mashup/
Doug Ford's recent remarks regarding Toronto Public Libraries have already become notorious. Speaking on Newstalk 1010 about a week ago, the Ward 2 Councillor claimed that "We have more libraries per person than any other city in the world. I've got more libraries in my area than I have Tim Hortons."

Zzoram said:
What is there to do? What does the entrance fee cover?
The entrance fee mainly just gets you inside. The main things to do is getting to see the guests although I am not sure how many of them you can get too with just the entrance pass and for how many you have to pay extra for stuff like autographs. Go to panels, some are speeches by guests and QnA sessions. Me and my friend saw Stan Lee at FanExpo last year, I guess that was the highlight of the expo for me. There are other panels being about specific topics or contests or whatever. Then there is also the dealers room which is just a huge area with lots of people selling stuff or corporations promoting whatever it is they want to promote at the time. You'll also see a lot of people wandering around dressed up in costumes ranging from really good to ridiculous and terrible.

The main thing I would say is you should only go if you have a couple of friends with you who want to go as well so everyone would pick some stuff they would want to do and you have a reason to wander around the place or go to panels you might not have considered going to.

You should probably take a look at their website to see a list of guests and events. See if anything interests you. http://www.fanexpocanada.com/

Top Bottom