• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
firehawk12 said:
Given that Teksavvy is just reselling Rogers lines, aren't their lines throttled as well?
If they have, I've never noticed. My torrents stay at the speed I set them at...not start strong and mysteriously decrease.

Oppo

Yeah I'm on TekSavvy and it's definitely faster, even though the package I have is rated at exactly the same speeds as my old Rogers package (15 down / 1 up). I know they are supposedly at the whim of the lines they rent from Rogers, and Roger's throttling, but I really noticed a big difference when I switched in practical terms.

The Toronto Star's trolling of Ford has gotten pretty shameless now.

Headline: No early cash for Sheppard, province tells Ford

Photo:
Cvo7k.jpg

Priceless.

Of course, he refuses to talk to the media, so he hasn't exactly made any friends there.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
lunarworks said:

Priceless.

Of course, he refuses to talk to the media, so he hasn't exactly made any friends there.

To be fair, Ford brings it on himself. And he's very photogenic.

StevieP

Banned
I recently bought an SMC Docsis 3 modem to be used on Rogers. Can I use that same modem for Teksavvy? Cause I paid like $200 for it lol

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
ConvenientBox said:
Damn that makes me want a Jamaican patty so bad.

Man makes me want to goto the islington subway bakery. They have some of the best stuff in town for some reason. Their samosas are incredible.

Rinoa

Divvy said:
Man makes me want to goto the islington subway bakery. They have some of the best stuff in town for some reason. Their samosas are incredible.

Are those the same as bathurst/other station patties?

The store in kensington don't do it for me.

cbox

Divvy said:

Islington and Bathurst always smell so good on the way and from work haha.

Rinoa

I used to go to St Peter's as a kid so Joyce's beef patties (outside the subway, not inside) were a staple. Now I go to bathurst on my way to my harp teacher's place, and the smell is damn distracting, I've given into it like 2 times. Don't like the price though, these things should be a dollar max.

cbox

my highschool had a deal with tastee patty so I'd get 2 of them every day at a buck each. Awesome times indeed.

Divvy

Rinoa said:
Are those the same as bathurst/other station patties?

The store in kensington don't do it for me.

I haven't been to the other ones, but everytime I goto Mississauga by subway I make it a thing to stop off at islington to get some samosas. I've never had samosas that good before. Though they're very different from the general samosas you get as they use phylo pastry.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
realraptor said:
so...what's that patty brand/place Ford's eating from? [serious]
I don't know but they had the coffee truck driver on the Edge this morning and he said Ford polished it off in 1.5 bites. He did say Ford paid $5 for the $2 patty.

Fuzzy said:
I don't know but they had the coffee truck driver on the Edge this morning and he said Ford polished it off in 1.5 bites. He did say Ford paid $5 for the $2 patty.
Well, he was hungry. Why wait for change when you can shove the food in your mouth right away?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
StevieP said:
I recently bought an SMC Docsis 3 modem to be used on Rogers. Can I use that same modem for Teksavvy? Cause I paid like $200 for it lol

List of 'approved' DOCSIS 3.0 modems from Teksavvy for cable.

DOCSIS 3.0

Motorola SB6120 - 1.0.6.1
Motorola SB6121 - 1.0.6.1
SMC 3DGN-RES - 1.4.0.40-RES
Thomson DCM 475 - STAC.02.16

artist

Banned
EvilMario said:
There are some beautiful, albeit, short drives near the Humber (Home Smith Park Rd). More east, Rosedale Valley Rd is always beautiful.

Rather than driving, I'd say go on foot / bicycle into some of the parks and ravines. Cedarvale Ravine and David A Balfour Park are both very beautiful walks that feel like you're out of the city. The west end of High Park is great as well, and of course the Scarborough Bluffs impress any time of the year.
Thanks a lot bud.

BigJonsson said:
Leviathan dwarfing Dragonfyre is a good sight to see

That's the truth! I mean we already knew it would but just seeing the real construction next to it really hammers home how awesome that ride its gonna be.

Sapiens

lunarworks said:

Photo:
Cvo7k.jpg

Priceless.

I will compile an amazing diet program based solely on eating what Rob Ford doesn't. What a sloppy mess. I be he hasn't had a shit that wasn't an emergency in 25 years.

I will call it, Dietnetics.

StevieP

Banned
EvilMario said:
List of 'approved' DOCSIS 3.0 modems from Teksavvy for cable.

DOCSIS 3.0

Motorola SB6120 - 1.0.6.1
Motorola SB6121 - 1.0.6.1
SMC 3DGN-RES - 1.4.0.40-RES
Thomson DCM 475 - STAC.02.16

I believe it is the 3DGN... the same one Rogers sells.

Divvy

I wish the TTC would change their colour scheme. That white is just going to inevitably turn into yellow in like a year.

Streetcar looks ace though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
More on the bicycle vs cars 'war'. Driver actually charged in a case of what looks like road rage.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...confrontation-between-driver-and-cyclist?bn=1

A man has been arrested after a confrontation between a driver and a cyclist in Toronto.

On Wednesday morning, police say a driver and a cyclist were travelling southbound on Ossington Ave. turning left onto Harbord St.

The driver, a 38-year-old man, passed the 35-year-old woman in the oncoming lanes and an argument ensued.

The man then allegedly turned his car towards the woman, forcing her onto the sidewalk and driving alongside her. Police say he then hit her with the car, knocking her off her bike to the ground, before fleeing.

The woman suffered minor injuries.

A few hours later, 38-year-old Matthew Nettleton turned himself in to police. He has been charged with failure to stop after an accident, dangerous operation and assault with a weapon.

The incident occurred just two days after 38-year-old cyclist Jenna Morrison was struck and killed by a truck at Dundas and Sterling Rd.

No charges were laid against the driver in her death.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
BladeWorker said:
How wonderful. He'll probably get off on a temporary insanity defense.

My uncle cut someone off on the highway in California before. Guy he cut off followed him, and jumped into his truck at a red light and started bashing his window in with a shovel he had in the bed of the truck (he was a landscaper). My uncle panicking, lost control and crashed, killing himself and injuring the guy in the back of the truck, and a mom & daughter in another car.

Guy that was bashing in his window with the shovel got six months for manslaughter and time served. Woohoo, justice.

Road rage sucks.

Watched RMR on my PVR today. The rant about pedestrians wearing all black and texting and not paying attention in the middle of the road rang true, as his rants generally do.

But then it struck me: his rant may have been spot on, but it totally oversimplified the problem. Safety is everyone's responsibility, including the drivers who take it upon themselves to be judge and jury - sometimes, even executioner - of every other driver, pedestrian, and cyclist on the road.

Maybe I'm just starting to notice this now, but it feels a little like lately, Mercer's rants haven't really been as strong as they used to be; they're not capturing the whole of the issue as well as they could, and should.

Anyone else notice this?

Roto13

BladeWorker said:
Watched RMR on my PVR today. The rant about pedestrians wearing all black and texting and not paying attention in the middle of the road rang true, as his rants generally do.

But then it struck me: his rant may have been spot on, but it totally oversimplified the problem. Safety is everyone's responsibility, including the drivers who take it upon themselves to be judge and jury - sometimes, even executioner - of every other driver, pedestrian, and cyclist on the road.

Maybe I'm just starting to notice this now, but it feels a little like lately, Mercer's rants haven't really been as strong as they used to be; they're not capturing the whole of the issue as well as they could, and should.

Anyone else notice this?
I dunno.

That fat photo of Ford is grabbing all the attention but I just realized that it's taken at the construction site of the new Eglinton Crosstown line.
Honestly, I'm just so happy to see any transit being built.
It's stupid that Ford is wasting money burying the far out parts of the line though since that money could have been used on other lines (especially Finch West)

Even with all the stupid decisions around it, I still can't help but be happy that Eglinton is finally going to have something built on it.

DoctorWho said:
And the new CoD is great.

Can we not do this and just stay on topic? The Uncharted stuff was bad enough the other day.

I'll attempt to bring it back on topic with a photo... here is a pic of the almost completed Four Seasons Hotel and Residence. It is a simple design but very nice materials and finishes make it a success in my books:

6326947953_9e573287aa_b.jpg

(obviously I would never have the kind of money to buy or stay here of course but I can still appreciate the architecture)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
added_time said:
That fat photo of Ford is grabbing all the attention but I just realized that it's taken at the construction site of the new Eglinton Crosstown line.
Honestly, I'm just so happy to see any transit being built.
It's stupid that Ford is wasting money burying the far out parts of the line though since that money could have been used on other lines (especially Finch West)

Even with all the stupid decisions around it, I still can't help but be happy that Eglinton is finally going to have something built on it.

I made a long post about how Eglinton has been in dire need of a rail transit line for a while, because it's even busier than St Clair (and try driving from Oakwood to Yonge on Eg). But I must have been posting in another thread, so I probably confused some people in some random Gaming Side thread.

Spl1nter

added_time said:
Can we not do this and just stay on topic? The Uncharted stuff was bad enough the other day.

I'll attempt to bring it back on topic with a photo... here is a pic of the almost completed Four Seasons Hotel and Residence. It is a simple design but very nice materials and finishes make it a success in my books:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6112/6326947953_9e573287aa_b.jpg

(obviously I would never have the kind of money to buy or stay here of course but I can still appreciate the architecture)

Exterior materials and finish makes the biggest difference I find. There are hundreds of other buildings in the city with very similar designs but they look cheap and like shit because of the materials they use.

2 people were arrested at the Toronto Remembrance day ceremony while Ford was giving his speech

One for public drunkeness, and one for causing a disturbance by yelling shame

BigJonsson said:
2 people were arrested at the Toronto Remembrance day ceremony while Ford was giving his speech

One for public drunkeness, and one for causing a disturbance by yelling shame

That's pathetic.

Was it Rob & Doug Ford?

I got suspended from school in 5th grade because I laughed during that trumpet tune they play (called "taps" I think) at the remembrance day assembly. The thing was I wasn't laughing about the soldiers or war or anything like that... it's just something about hearing a trumpet really cracks me up, even to this very day. I tried so hard not to laugh because I knew it was a serious assembly but I couldn't help it.

...and suddenly memories of growing up in Scarborough come flooding back...

StevieP

Banned
added_time said:
I got suspended from school in 5th grade because I laughed during that trumpet tune they play (called "taps" I think) at the remembrance day assembly. The thing was I wasn't laughing about the soldiers or war or anything like that... it's just something about hearing a trumpet really cracks me up, even to this very day. I tried so hard not to laugh because I knew it was a serious assembly but I couldn't help it.

...and suddenly memories of growing up in Scarborough come flooding back...

Which school? :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Four of the city’s 10 museums to close

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1085836--hume-city-museum-closures-loom?bn=1

In a city consumed by the cost of things, it’s easy to lose sight of the value of things.

Torontonians will be reminded of the difference later this month when Mayor Rob Ford unveils the city budget.

Among the measures included will be the closure of four of the city’s 10 museums. Sources tell the Star that those chosen to be shut are the Market Gallery, Gibson House, Montgomery’s Inn and Zion Schoolhouse.

The justification will be the nearly $1 million in savings, a tiny fraction of a city budget that in 2010 stood at $9.2 billion.

For thousands of residents who visit and use these facilities, the impact will be more about the quality of their lives than the depth of their pockets.

The 10 museums operated by the City of Toronto Culture Division cost taxpayers about $5.3 million yearly. The institutions themselves raise $1.3 million through rentals, admissions and gift shop sales.

Annual attendance is about 250,000.

Except for the Market Gallery, located downtown in the St. Lawrence Market, the venues slated for closure are in the former North York and Etobicoke.

Montgomery’s Inn has been a landmark in Etobicoke since the 1840s, when the current building was constructed. It is one of the former borough’s few surviving links to its past.

Zion Schoolhouse, which was built just two years after Confederation, remained in service until 1955. The modest but elegant structure on Finch St. E. was built by families in what was then the farming community of L’Amoreaux.

Gibson House, an impressive 1850s Georgian mansion west of Yonge St., north of Park Home Ave., is also in the former North York.

Though shuttering these attractions is unlikely to stir up the same sort of outrage as did Ford’s threats to close Toronto public libraries, it will inflict further damage on a sector already under pressure.

“Heritage is not gravy,” insists Councillor Joe Mihevc (Ward 21). “These museums are local community hubs. . . the unsung gems of our city. They offer vigorous programs for school kids. But this administration has made it clear it wants some very, very deep cuts to arts and heritage.”

As Mihevc also points out, the city has no plans yet about what to do with these historic buildings once they’re closed. Unless they are to be abandoned and left to fall apart, they will have to be sold to the private sector or maintained by the city, which costs money.

“I think the city will try to sell them,” says Mihevc. “But no one wants to see these iconic buildings turned into bars or restaurants. That would be disastrous.”

In the case of the Market Gallery, founded in 1979 as “the official exhibition space and storage of the city’s permanent art collection,” closure would mean significantly reduced public access to Toronto’s material history.

However, unless Ford is prepared to put city-owned artworks on the block, killing the gallery won’t leave the city with any saleable assets.

Culture has never figured prominently in official Toronto; the major arts institutions in this city depend on federal and provincial funding as well as private philanthropy and the box-office. Even the city’s museums receive $430,000 from Queen’s Park every year.

Perhaps the most serious long-term threat of closing these civic institutions is that Torontonians will lose faith in the city’s cultural sector, and stop contributing the cash and artifacts on which museums depend.

“It will breach the integrity of the city museums system,” Mihevc charges, “leading to a lack of trust among potential donors, funders and partners across the 10 sites.”

Truth be told, I didn't even know the city had this many museums. :/

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
JeFfRey said:
Actually, I'm surprised about how low the number is. Montréal has nearly 40 museums.

Indeed. San Francisco in comparison has about the same number as Montréal (although really it's about a dozen stand out museums and a bunch of smaller ones), and it's a much smaller area compared to Toronto. It's a shame the small number of museums in Toronto is being cut .

Top Bottom