• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

mf.luder

EvilMario said:
Hooray. I'm officially a Canadian.

Appropriate avatar. Nice.

As for the Sears Court, I've only ever seen big (read decent) displays in the south portion of Sears. North is nothing but an entrance and escalators.

Edit: Also, I need some good spots for gelato in Toronto. The one that I've found recently was near the Opera House, like just east a little bit. Forget the name.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Best part of the ceremony, outside of becoming a citizen of course, was the 'free stuff'. Of course you receive a flag and a little maple leaf pin, but they also give you a city pass for Toronto which basically lets you visit any museums / historical site in the city for a year. A free year to the ROM / AGO, etc. Pretty good deal!

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
EvilMario said:
Best part of the ceremony, outside of becoming a citizen of course, was the 'free stuff'. Of course you receive a flag and a little maple leaf pin, but they also give you a city pass for Toronto which basically lets you visit any museums / historical site in the city for a year. A free year to the ROM / AGO, etc. Pretty good deal!

But at what price?

Roto13

I guess Sears Court is that spot where stuff gets advertised all the time? I didn't know that spot had a name. :p

Congrats, EvilMario! You're already the most Canadian guy I know on the internet.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
EvilMario said:
My goddamn taxes paid for that pass ya fuckin alien freeloading hoser! :mad:

Just jokin! Congrats EM...now stop picking up stray pussies from the streets and attempting to feed them pizza.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
EvilMario said:
Better use that while they're all still open.

Rinoa

EvilMario said:
Hooray. I'm officially a Canadian.

Congrats!

mf.luder said:
Appropriate avatar. Nice.

Edit: Also, I need some good spots for gelato in Toronto. The one that I've found recently was near the Opera House, like just east a little bit. Forget the name.

SOMA has amazing gelato (and it's two floors below where I work, danger) but not as much selection as other places. There were also some good places on Baldwin street but I can't remember the name.

In the summer we sometimes stop by Dolce Gelato, but lately my friends have opted for icecream places like the Big Chill because it's less snobbish.

Azih

Dude grats EM. That's definitely a snazzy pin. We got commemorative toonies among other things. I think I still have mine in the plastic case it came in.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Fuzzy said:
Better use that while they're all still open.

rob+ford.jpg

;(

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
crazy monkey said:
tekseavy has been down in many area due to ass holiness of rogers. Fuck rogers.

What did they do? My net's been down all day, Had to tether my phone to my computer.

Divvy said:
What did they do? My net's been down all day, Had to tether my phone to my computer.

they sent out update to their modem. knowing it will screup the tekseavy customers. They are ass holes. Atleast from what I know.

Divvy

crazy monkey said:
they sent out update to their modem. knowing it will screup the tekseavy customers. They are ass holes. Atleast from what I know.

Guess they were butthurt from yesterday's crtc ruling.

Rinoa

Apparently Ford is going to be doing a cameo in the NB's Nutcracker :(

1dFuJ.jpg

Not that I'll see it this year, manfriend getting Romeo&Juliet tix which is a new production.

It's normal for them to get local personalities to do cameos but.... *goes to walter carsen tonight and hangs head in shame*

`Moe Joe.

Banned
Hey gaisz!

I'm going to study at Dalhousie in Halifax, Nova Scotia during your Winter.

Any advice for an Australian?

Yeah I know y'all are from Toronto btw.

Azih

`Moe Joe. said:
Hey gaisz!

I'm going to study at Dalhousie in Halifax, Nova Scotia during your Winter.

Any advice for an Australian?

Yeah I know y'all are from Toronto btw.

Layers! A big damn coat is a good start but under it you still have to Dress in LAYERS!

`Moe Joe.

Banned
Azih said:
Layers! A big damn coat is a good start but under it you still have to Dress in LAYERS!

Might not be the place to ask, as you're most likely in toronto, but would it be wise to bring a set amount of money for clothes over? Simply because the jackets here are thin, may not do the job, and are expensive to boot.

I would assume Canadian winter clothes are cheap because they're the norm?

cheers for this

Azih

`Moe Joe. said:
Might not be the place to ask, as you're most likely in toronto, but would it be wise to bring a set amount of money for clothes over? Simply because the jackets here are thin, may not do the job, and are expensive to boot.

cheers for this
Yeah you might be better off making a "moving to Nova Scotia thread" but I've seen pretty big coats for 50 bucks at Walmarts in Toronto (no idea on quality). Get some thermal underwear for sure. Best barrier against the wind. When are you landing?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
`Moe Joe. said:

cheers for this

Not always true. Lots of people will probably recommend Canadian Goose , which make great winter jackets, but they're not cheap. I actually buy a lot of my clothes (for all seasons) at Mark's, and stay on the look out for sales there. There's a couple in Halifax.

You can probably get by with one good winter jacket, and on the days when it's 'only' -10c, pack on the layers. Thermals on the legs help a bunch.

When are you landing however? If you show up int he middle of February without a jacket in Halifax, you might not even make it to the store to buy one.

`Moe Joe.

Banned
Azih said:
Yeah you might be better off making a "moving to Nova Scotia thread" but I've seen pretty big coats for 50 bucks at Walmarts in Toronto (no idea on quality). Get some thermal underwear for sure. Best barrier against the wind. When are you landing?

Yeah I may just bring a budget for clothes. Only clothing I might bring are jeans. Everything else will probably need an overhaul because it will be too thin haha. Will definitely get some thermal underwear before coming.

And landing late dec, in time for ny

EvilMario said:
Not always true. Lots of people will probably recommend Canadian Goose , which make great winter jackets, but they're not cheap. I actually buy a lot of my clothes (for all seasons) at Mark's, and stay on the look out for sales there. There's a couple in Halifax.

You can probably get by with one good winter jacket, and on the days when it's 'only' -10c, pack on the layers. Thermals on the legs help a bunch.

Thank you

`Moe Joe. said:

cheers for this
So if I go to Perth, should I go into a Sydney thread and ask what to bring? ;)

You're gonna need a thick jacket. Since you're from a warmer climate, you're going to feel the cold even worse than we do. You're right: Buy one here. Probably cheaper, and it'll save you a whole lot of luggage space. Heck, you could even go to a thrift store and get one second-hand for a bargain.

Then you'll acclimatize to our climate, go back to Australia, and not be able to handle the heat there. :)

Divvy

Canada Goose jackets are certainly well made, but they are ridiculously overpriced. Mostly because they're less utility, but more fashion now. It's pretty bad in Toronto where people will wear these heavy and thick winter coats in 10 degree weather.

Azih

Landing in December makes it a bit of a challenge. You got any friends picking you up or anything like that? I don't think there'd be any place in the airport you could buy a coat (you'd have to ask a Haligonian about that) but even if there was it'd probably be overpriced.

daemonic

Banned
Divvy said:
Canada Goose jackets are certainly well made, but they are ridiculously overpriced. Mostly because they're less utility, but more fashion now. It's pretty bad in Toronto where people will wear these heavy and thick winter coats in 10 degree weather.

Huge pet peeve. People were wearing them back in early October. Even at the office some leave them on as they walk around. I'm sure they're warm, but everyone here buys them for weather that doesn't really justify it. Besides, the hoods are made with coyote fur :(

Rinoa

There are two reasons for that, one being you can wear anything under that jacket and still feel warm... and the other being that it's balls cold/windy at night. Sure it's 10 degrees right now, but forecast has "feels like below freezing" tonight. Apparently there may be flurries Thurs or Fri.

Roto13

Rinoa said:
There are two reasons for that, one being you can wear anything under that jacket and still feel warm... and the other being that it's balls cold/windy at night. Sure it's 10 degrees right now, but forecast has "feels like below freezing" tonight. Apparently there may be flurries Thurs or Fri.
:D

cbox

I don't think it's so much the jacket, but the boots, hats and gloves you wear that keep you warm. I mean I've never said, "man my torso is fucking frozen" when outside in the freezing weather. Though that's just me, Maybe I'm nuts or somesuch.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
ConvenientBox said:
I don't think it's so much the jacket, but the boots, hats and gloves you wear that keep you warm. I mean I've never said, "man my torso is fucking frozen" when outside in the freezing weather. Though that's just me, Maybe I'm nuts or somesuch.

Well, they're all important. I don't know how I would rank them if I needed to though. Thermals on the legs are definitely as important as a jacket for me, but I can probably go hatless for most of the 'Toronto winter' if I needed to. Without a good jacket though, if you're in a windy place, the cold wind will just cut through you.

Roto13

All of that stuff is important to keep you warm. :p If you've never had a cold upper body, it's probably because you've always worn a suitable coat.

Divvy

StevieP said:
Congrats EM!

What happened in that ruling? OpenMedia hasn't emailed me anything yet lol

Usage based billing was killed. However, the flat rate price they're giving the independents are set pretty high. We'll probably all soon see our teksavvy or whatever fees go up.

Kunohara

Divvy said:
Usage based billing was killed. However, the flat rate price they're giving the independents are set pretty high. We'll probably all soon see our teksavvy or whatever fees go up.

Better than caps I must say. Still sucks, but we'll see how Teksavvy etc handles the new fees.

daemonic

Banned
I've been using Teksavvy for a while now and been pretty satisfied with them overall but have been renting a modem. I'm moving soon so I'd rather buy a new one myself. How do I know which modems are compatible? It may have been addressed in the thread but I can't find it.

Divvy said:
Not at all given the fuckloads of jackets they sell at said price.

Divvy

DevelopmentArrested said:
Not at all given the fuckloads of jackets they sell at said price.

They are overpriced the same way that Louis vuitton bags are overpriced. Not market price, but the average price compared to other products in its class.

Divvy said:
We're a city of brand whores and we know it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Thanks everyone, it's great to be a citizen finally even though it has felt like I've been Canadian for years!

And the news that the TTC 'voice' will be replaced by a computer generated voice in the coming years got to be wondering who exactly does all the voices for the subways, etc.

ZrDnL.jpg

The woman on the left is Cheryl Bome, and she voices the streetcar / bus routes, and on the right is Susan Bigioni, who has been voicing the subway stops since 2007. Openfile Toronto did a small piece on them recently. http://toronto.openfile.ca/toronto/text/meet-voices-ttc

Top Bottom