• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Hieberrr

Everybody here needs to go to this place to get some awesome Italian sandwiches. My girlfriend brought me here two weeks ago and my mind was blown. Their sandwiches are huge! They taste amazing! and are relatively cheap compared to their size! :O~ I tried the beef and veal sandwiches. Veal >>> Beef... but yeah, holy shit man! GO GO GO GO GO GO!

California Sandwiches‎
244 Claremont Street
Toronto, ON M6J 2N2
(416) 603-3317
http://californiasandwiches.ca/

MAFUCKIN DELICIOUS!

EDIT: Other locations too
http://californiasandwiches.ca/locations.html

But, I can't comment on the other ones. I've only been to the one at Claremont Street (near Dundas/Bathurst)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hieberrr said:
Everybody here needs to go to this place to get some awesome Italian sandwiches. My girlfriend brought me here two weeks ago and my mind was blown. Their sandwiches are huge! They taste amazing! and are relatively cheap compared to their size! :O~ I tried the beef and veel sandwiches. Veal >>> Beef... but yeah, holy shit man! GO GO GO GO GO GO!

California Sandwiches‎
244 Claremont Street
Toronto, ON M6J 2N2
(416) 603-3317

MAFUCKIN DELICIOUS!

EDIT: For those not in Toronto

But, I can't comment on the other ones. I've only been to the one at Claremont Street (near Dundas/Bathurst)

Awesome. I know they a place by the same name in Mississauga, but I never gave it a try. Will check this place out when I'm in the area.

Snakeyes

What is the best bang for your buck combo of Internet, landline, cellphone and cable plans? I need an iPhone carrier and want to have NBA League Pass, NFL Sunday Ticket, TSN, GolTV and Setanta.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Hieberrr said:
Everybody here needs to go to this place to get some awesome Italian sandwiches. My girlfriend brought me here two weeks ago and my mind was blown. Their sandwiches are huge! They taste amazing! and are relatively cheap compared to their size! :O~ I tried the beef and veal sandwiches. Veal >>> Beef... but yeah, holy shit man! GO GO GO GO GO GO!

California Sandwiches‎
244 Claremont Street
Toronto, ON M6J 2N2
(416) 603-3317

MAFUCKIN DELICIOUS!

EDIT: Other locations too

I like San Francesco Foods on Clinton (North one street and to the West of California) even better although ever since the kids of the owner took over it hasn't been as great a value since the dad used to give away free spicy olives if you bought 4 sandwiches.

Spl1nter

I cant believe people do not know about california sandwiches. I could understand if you are not Italian. They are great sandwiches nevertheless. I go to the downsview location pretty often when I am in Toronto.

Daft_Cat

EvilMario said:
Awesome. I know they a place by the same name in Mississauga, but I never gave it a try. Will check this place out when I'm in the area.

The one up by the newish food complex in Heartland?

So ironic because I came so close to checking it out yesterday before settling on some Pho instead.

I'll definitely hit it up now.

Hieberrr said:

Thanks for the tip. I'm not big on Italian food since I don't like tomatoes but I should give it a look anyways.

The funny thing is when I was in Europe most of the Italian food didn't even have tomatoes in it. In North America though, it's like 90% of the dishes in Italian restaurants are covered in tomatoes or tomato sauce.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It's a little sad you guys would rather go to California and ignore San Francesco which is a 1 minute walk from there. The only reason I would go to California was that Doug Gilmour would stop by after Saturday night Leafs games in the early 90's.

Quick

Banned
I've been hitting up Xe Lua once a week for the past couple of weeks now, and the service is shit (not that I was expecting anything magnificent), but the pho is amazing. I've been craving pho, and I've always been telling myself to go there since I haven't been since last summer.

I usually just go to Ginger for a quick pho fix, but I actually made the effort to walk to Xe Lua. Feels good man.

Boogie

California sandwiches is delicious, but overpriced.

You can get a chicken cutlet sandwich at CS for $10.

You can get the same at Pomodoro's in Brampton by the courthouse for $8.

Or the same at an Italian Sandwich place in Milton for $6.25.

Quick

Banned
Boogie said:
California sandwiches is delicious, but overpriced.

You can get a chicken cutlet sandwich at CS for $10.

You can get the same at Pomodoro's in Brampton by the courthouse for $8.

Or the same at an Italian Sandwich place in Milton for $6.25.

Pretty far off, man.

I just had amazing pizza tonight. The place is called "Buddha Pie". It's around the Junction area and is run by two super nice people.
The pizza is fucking delicious. Super thin crust and tons of awesome toppings. It's now my second favorite in the city after Pizzeria Libretto.
What I couldn't believe though was when I went to pay with my Visa, the machine didn't work. So the owner said to me "sorry the machine isn't working. Since it's your first time here and this happened, just let me give you the pizzas for free"

I couldn't believe my ears. I refused getting it for free and just paid cash but he still insisted in giving us a discount off the price. Nicest people ever.

Highly recommended.

Rinoa

added_time said:
I just had amazing pizza tonight. The place is called "Buddha Pie". It's around the Junction area and is run by two super nice people.
The pizza is fucking delicious. Super thin crust and tons of awesome toppings. It's now my second favorite in the city after Pizzeria Libretto.
What I couldn't believe though was when I went to pay with my Visa, the machine didn't work. So the owner said to me "sorry the machine isn't working. Since it's your first time here and this happened, just let me give you the pizzas for free"

I couldn't believe my ears. I refused getting it for free and just paid cash but he still insisted in giving us a discount off the price. Nicest people ever.

Highly recommended.

That's really awesome, I'm gonna eat there if I'm ever in the Junction.

Dyno

On my first day of full time employment, some 23 years ago, I was taken to California Sandwiches for lunch. History was made that day and I've been going back often. As they spread out through the GTA I've hit them all and the quality remains. I was at the original shop just two years ago.

Best sandwiches in the city! After years of experimenting I get veal with hot peppers, cheese, mushrooms, and no tomato sauce. Perfection!

Entropia

No One Remembers
BladeWorker said:
Any Toronto-GAF out there been to (or go to) CFL games? What's the atmosphere like?

I've been to a couple Calgary Stamps games and they're usually pretty fun! It's typical sports event atmosphere. The games are a bit more exciting to watch in person.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
BladeWorker said:
Any Toronto-GAF out there been to (or go to) CFL games? What's the atmosphere like?

My sister plays for the Argonotes (official? band of the Argonauts) so every home game I got to sit behind the end zone for free.

For the most part it was pretty bland but I attribute that to the Argos being so awful. The few times I was there when they actually either won or made it close the place was pretty electric.

I'm sure in places in Saskatchewan or Montreal they probably go insane.

Azuran

Banned
BladeWorker said:

I went to an Argos game 2 years ago and the experience was really terrible. I'm blaming most of it on the team completely sucking. Toronto just doesn't care about them unless they're winning.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Kave_Man said:
My sister plays for the Argonotes (official? band of the Argonauts) so every home game I got to sit behind the end zone for free.

For the most part it was pretty bland but I attribute that to the Argos being so awful. The few times I was there when they actually either won or made it close the place was pretty electric.

Oh yes, they go insane over their team.
I went to a Stamps vs. Roughriders game, I'd say there were more Roughriders fans than Stampeder fans.

Kave_Man said:

Thanks. Was considering getting tickets as a gift for someone who likes sports but I don't know that he's actually a football fan...maybe I'll try for soccer instead.

cbox

Hieberrr said:

Being Italian, I'm not a fan at all. They're ok for the price though. The bread is the biggest offender, they're using 30 cent buns when they should be using better foccacia or ciabatta bread.

Azuran

Banned
BladeWorker said:
Thanks. Was considering getting tickets as a gift for someone who likes sports but I don't know that he's actually a football fan...maybe I'll try for soccer instead.

TFC games are an awesome experience. I manage to turn one of my friends into a hardcore soccer fan after taking him to one.

Azuran said:
TFC games are an awesome experience. I manage to turn one of my friends into a hardcore soccer fan after taking him to one.
I agree, but the tickets are more $$ and harder to come by. At least, the seats that aren't right in front of the opposing team's cheering section.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
BladeWorker said:
I bet they had really great shots.

Shots shots shots shots...
shots was HYPE. like so HYPE. even the kids were like SHOTS SHOT SHOTS SHOT SHOT SHOTS. IF YOU TRYINA FUCK PUT YO HANDS IN THE AIR

So it looks like we could have a standoff in St. James on our hands tonight:

Occupy Toronto Protesters served with eviction notice:
Dozens of police officers have descended on St. James Park to hand out eviction notices to protesters, giving them until 12:01 a.m. to pack up and vacate the park.

Hatlem, who also maintains the OccupyBaySt Twitter account, said the city's eviction plans will not stop the occupation.

"We'll reoccupy the park or occupy another park."

Protesters have already disassembled their media tent, which included laptop computers and Internet connection, but most tents remain standing at the moment.

Social worker and Mennonite street pastor Doug Hatlem, who attends the Occupy protest a few times a week but is not living in the park, said plans were already in place for an 11 p.m. rally at the park in anticipation of the midnight eviction.

He said hundreds of people will defend the occupation.

"They'll have to jail more than they did at the G20," Hatlem said. "And they don't have the Eastern Ave. jail ... They can take away our tents, but they, but they can't stop the movement. We're too big to jail."

In the letter distributed to Occupy protesters, and posted on the city’s website, city manager Joe Pennachetti says “the time has come to remove your tents, structures, equipment and personal belongings from the park.”

“The City recognizes the rights of Canadians to gather and protest. However, the City has determined that it cannot allow the current use of St. James Park to continue,” the letter states.

“In particular, the City can no longer permit the appropriation of St. James Park by a relatively small group of people to the exclusion of all others wishing to use the park and to the detriment of those in the vicinity of the park. In addition, the current use of the park by Occupy Toronto and others occupying St. James Park is causing damage to the park and interfering with necessary winter maintenance of the park.”

He also tells them “many activities” happening in the park since the protest started a month ago break city by-laws, policies and practices on use of public space.

Protesters are being serviced with a notice under the Trespass to Property Act ordering them to “remove all tents, structures, equipment, and other debris from the park and immediately discontinue use of the park between the hours of 12:01 a.m. and 5:30 a.m.”

“Please be advised that if all tents and other structures, equipment and debris are not removed immediately, the City will take the necessary steps to itself remove the tents and other structures,” it states. “In so doing, the City relies on its rights under the Trespass to Property Act and the City of Toronto Act, 2006. The City is willing to offer its assistance to ensure the safe and orderly removal of tents and other structures if requested.

The City respectfully asks Occupy Toronto and others occupying St. James Park for their co-operation in this matter.”

— Brendan Kennedy, Toronto Star, with files from David Rider

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hooray. I'm officially a Canadian.

EObyhl.jpg

Top Bottom