• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Sober said:
Why change the stop announcement voices with a computer generated one anyway? Sounds baffling to me.
Exactly, it's not like the street/station names are changing.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
TTC has money to burn. If they start making a surplus, $121 metro passes would sure look silly.

Maybe this is why we don't receive federal funding for transit ;_;

Sober

EvilMario said:
I posted a thread for it, but this is Toronto related; School bans 'hard' balls (footballs, soccer balls, etc) because of safety concerns.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ainst-schoolyard-ban-on-balls/article2238736/
Not to sound like "Old man yells at cloud", but really? I remember back in the day (even when I first got my glasses) where I would get a soccer ball drilled into my face during recess while playing soccer (and all I did was take it, suck it up and get back in the game).

Fuzzy

All because a parent, not even a student, got hurt. smh

BTW, any word on which US investment firm that wants to buy MLSE?

Spl1nter

Sober said:
Not to sound like "Old man yells at cloud", but really? I remember back in the day (even when I first got my glasses) where I would get a soccer ball drilled into my face during recess while playing soccer (and all I did was take it, suck it up and get back in the game).

They teachers always tried to stop us from playing red ass but we never listened to them!

Oppo

Fuzzy said:
All because a parent, not even a student, got hurt. smh

As someone with a parent who taught young kids for many years, I can tell you that these schools basically live in constant fear of litigation from psycho parents. It's the cause of most of these stupid decisions.

At my mom's school, the kids could not touch each other, unless in a sanctioned game. That's correct. No touching.

Spl1nter said:
They teachers always tried to stop us from playing red ass but we never listened to them!

hahaha I just laughed so hard reading this! I totally forgot about playing red ass as a kid until just reading that now!

The other awesome thing about growing up and playing recess games in junior public school was when we would play a game that was clearly a version of soccer where we kick around a tennis ball with our feet... but instead it was called "foot hockey".. so awesomely Canadian!

Spl1nter

added_time said:
hahaha I just laughed so hard reading this! I totally forgot about playing red ass as a kid until just reading that now!

The other awesome thing about growing up and playing recess games in junior public school was when we would play a game that was clearly a version of soccer where we kick around a tennis ball with our feet... but instead it was called "foot hockey".. so awesomely Canadian!

yep played that as well. that game was baller in the winter because you could body check and it didnt hurt at all to fall on the compact snow.

Rinoa

Red ass, foot hockey and "murderball" (dodgeball with 2 teams) were staples.

I don't know if murderball was called that everywhere else though it made for epic times, especially when the ground is iced over.

When I was in elementary school, they always allowed the grade 7 and 8 students to go off property for lunch, until an incident happened where 1 guy started shit and there was a fight somewhere off school grounds. Anyway school felt responsible or something and banned off property lunches for all future gr7 and 8 students. Needless to say when we reached those grades, we said fuck you and went off anyway every single day, eventually the teachers figured we can't keep making you guys in trouble every single day so you can go off, just don't start shit.

Problem solved. Moral of the story, if it's a stupid ban just do it anyway.

Fuzzy

-Pyromaniac- said:
When I was in elementary school, they always allowed the grade 7 and 8 students to go off property for lunch, until an incident happened where 1 guy started shit and there was a fight somewhere off school grounds. Anyway school felt responsible or something and banned off property lunches for all future gr7 and 8 students. Needless to say when we reached those grades, we said fuck you and went off anyway every single day, eventually the teachers figured we can't keep making you guys in trouble every single day so you can go off, just don't start shit.

I went home for lunch every day since 1st grade. Almost nobody stayed at my school since it didn't have a real cafeteria.

cbox

Rinoa said:
Red ass, foot hockey and "murderball" (dodgeball with 2 teams) were staples.

I don't know if murderball was called that everywhere else though it made for epic times, especially when the ground is iced over.

haha we had redass and whipass, and foot hockey while using our jackets as goalie equipment. No murderball. We had a game called challenge, it was basically who can throw the tennis ball the furthest between 2 teams. That and handball, we actually had teams in our last few years of elementary. Me and my friends and then some other kids from a year below, we'd battle it out sometimes during recess.

good times.

whitehawk

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:

I was able to go out for lunch in elementary school as long as you had your parents permission at the end of the year. And we were supposed to tell the lunch supervisor before we left everyday.. But after that, we were free!

Anth0ny

ConvenientBox said:
haha we had redass and whipass, and foot hockey while using our jackets as goalie equipment. No murderball. We had a game called challenge, it was basically who can throw the tennis ball the furthest between 2 teams. That and handball, we actually had teams in our last few years of elementary. Me and my friends and then some other kids from a year below, we'd battle it out sometimes during recess.

good times.

whipass

best game ever. until someone roofed the ball.

Fuzzy

lunarworks said:
Ah, the '80s. When throwing a ball as hard as you could at the opposing team, "King's Court", was part of the provincial curriculum.
We used to have handicap wrestling matches in the winter. My cousin was 4 years older and him and his friends would square off against two of the kids in my class. We had a ref who would enforce the rules (no hits to the face or groin, no biting, etc). My cousin would do the Ultimate Warrior move on me and drop me into the snow. It was awesome.

Fuzzy

Sober said:
Finally 0C today, flurries are a bit weak, at least in Markham. What about south of Steeles?
I saw a little bit while I was driving but it only lasted a couple of minutes and didn't even wet my windshield. Then again that was only on McNicoll so that's barely south of Steeles. :p

cbox

Anth0ny said:
whipass

best game ever. until someone roofed the ball.

So true, though we really respected the Janitor at our school and were friends with him. Once a week he'd go up to the roof and throw all the balls down, it was the most exciting thing to ever happen during recess.

Fuzzy

ConvenientBox said:
So true, though we really respected the Janitor at our school and were friends with him. Once a week he'd go up to the roof and throw all the balls down, it was the most exciting thing to ever happen during recess.
My school it was once a year. It was the most glorious day of the year.

Stet

Banned
I once got detention for a full straight week for "bullying" because our rules dictated that if you got R-E-D-A-S-S everyone got to line up and whip the ball at you. I was the last one in line and the only one caught.

I'm back, by the way.

Anth0ny said:
until someone roofed the ball.

HAHA! So many memories... it always seemed so disappointing when someone roofed the ball! But it was like Christmas coming early when the school's janitor would go up on the roof and throw down dozens of tennis balls at once for all the kids!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Here's one of the more controversial moves in the last few years by the TDSB, popping back up as they look to expand to Africentric high schools.

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ved-but-it-still-needs-a-home/article2240491/

It’s believed it will be a first for Canadian public education – an Africentric high school approved by the Toronto District School Board this week – but it will need to find a home before it can become a reality.

Staff are seeking an existing school that has extra space to share, easy access to public transit and a parent council in place that views the Africentric model favourably.

The new search is expected to take months. Manon Gardner, the TDSB’s Chief Academic Officer, said the board will be looking primarily in the northwest and east ends of the city, where a number of elementary Africentric school students live.

It’s been two years since the city’s Africentric elementary school opened its doors, sharing space with Sheppard Public School, and it’s widely considered a success. Students beat the provincial average on standardized tests, enrolment is booming with 185 students and there’s a waiting list about 20 names long.

Parents say their children are thriving. They feel a sense of belonging, have found role models in their teachers, and gained self confidence.

“With this school our kids are supported all around,” said Nicole Osbourne James, who has three children who attend the school and hopes to send them on to the high school. “There’s a tremendous sense of inclusion.”

But separating students based on race makes many people uncomfortable. It can look like segregation, not support. After the board approved a task force to look at the possibility of a Portuguese-focused school earlier this year, some parents were left wondering how far the TDSB will go.

And some doubts linger.

“There is a real concern about kids moving from an Africentric elementary school to an Africentric high school,” said Kevin Gosine, a sociologist at Brock University. “Will they be learning to operate in a diverse society? They’re not likely going to end up working in an all-black work environment.”

The school was envisioned as a way to tackle the problem that black students are among the most likely within the TDSB to live in poverty, with as many as 40 per cent dropping out.

To help engage black students more in the classroom, the Africentric school developed a fresh take on the Ontario curriculum – one that curbed the European biases in classes such as history and English, and used culturally relevant props in math.

Principal Thando Hyman-Aman said it was a major undertaking to rethink the curriculum, and that high school courses, which are more diverse, will likely be even more labour intensive to change.

However, parents are enthusiastic about the results. And at Wednesday’s meeting, trustees began discussing ways to import parts of the Africentric curriculum to schools throughout the board.

Many of the adjustments are subtle. In the classrooms and hallways of the Africentric Alternative School, near Sheppard Avenue West and Keele Street, portraits of Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King hang in the prominent places usually reserved for the likes of Queen Elizabeth and Stephen Harper. Students wear a basic blue and white uniform with a colourful African-print vest overtop.

Lorna Blake has a grandson in Grade 5 at the school who she said is reading at a Grade 12 level. At his old school, she believes his teachers didn’t push him.

“Now he has a teacher who he can look at as a role model and who has high expectations of him,” she said.

Ms. Blake has five family members, grandchildren and nieces, who attend the school. She is hopeful that the high school will open in the fall of 2013, in time to admit the elementary school’s oldest pupils.

-------------------------------------------------

Test scores

The Toronto District School Board’s Africentric alternative schools are envisioned as a way to reach at-risk students, and shrink the 40 per cent dropout rate among black students.

The elementary school now has 185 students who are posting above-average scores on standardized tests, but critics question whether the school, which boasts one of the most active parent councils in the GTA, is reaching high-needs students.

The data suggest they are, according to the TDSB’s Chief Academic Officer, Manon Gardner.

Elementary schools within the board are ranked on a scale known as the Learning Opportunities Index. The scale looks at socioeconomic factors, including household income and education levels, in order to measure factors external to the classroom that influence student success.

The schools are ranked, and the lower the ranking, the more challenges the students face.

The Africentric Alternative School earns a 56, according to Ms. Gardner. That means it students are at relatively high risk of struggling in school or dropping out, compared to the other 450 elementary schools within the board.

Sober

To help engage black students more in the classroom, the Africentric school developed a fresh take on the Ontario curriculum – one that curbed the European biases in classes such as history and English, and used culturally relevant props in math.
History I can understand but even then it's elementary level. I ended up doing a major in history but during grade school I hated the crap out of it. What did we learn? Canadian history (which I also later enjoyed in uni), and we did more than plenty especially in our involvement in the Underground Railroad and everything (only for those lessons later destroyed when studying it at the University level anyway). English you'll have to explain to me since it's pretty much British spellings with occasional Americanisms more or less ... how is it different in Afrocentric schools? Or math?

I can understand the problem with troubled black youth trying to fit into the public school system but also to echo what the article says, how does it prepare them for a multicultural society if you spend 30 hours a week - in what I consider a segregated community - at school. What exactly is the problem, is it that their parents cannot do the job of teaching their children the culture that school must do it for them? I am a minority and pretty white-washed too but I have respect for my culture (even before learning more about it), so the concept behind Afrocentric schooling is confusing to me even when you should be looking at the larger issues behind why black (or low income) youth are doing poorly in the public school system.

As someone who is of white British ancestry it's hard to criticize an Africentric school without sounding at least a little like a flaming racist. Personally, I don't see what net good a segregated school could do in a community like Toronto, which needs more integration of minority communities, not segregation and insularly-behaving diaspora, lest it become even more of a "pocket-based" city than it already is. But on the following point:

Sober said:
What exactly is the problem, is it that their parents cannot do the job of teaching their children the culture that school must do it for them?

from what I understand, yes. It is now the school's job to teach children how to tie their shoes, blow their own noses, play nice in the sandbox, and wipe their own ... well, you get the picture.

I get that culture is an integral part of the teaching of social studies and the humanities, and in Toronto in particular, there's a unique challenge of trying to teach one (well, three) culture(s) to a classroom of no fewer than 30 culturally differing students. I also see a great deal of value in trying to make the curriculum relevant to students: inspiring students and helping them to identify with particular events or people in history is a fantastic way to get kids to seek out information independent of the school - so I can an argument in favour.

That being said, a great deal of the political and social events in Canada's history - in particular, the ones that have to do with nation-building and citizenship - come from traditions and cultures that have been here for a couple hundred years; to suggest that all of a sudden people of a different background will suddenly "get it" better if you put it in different cultural terms sounds like wild speculation to me. And, it still doesn't really address the problem that all this is trying to solve: dropout rates and crime rates and gang participation isn't most closely correlated with culture alone - which, let's face it, has become the PC proxy term for race - but with socioeconomic status.

Let's flip that coin again: the effects of lower SES (from a statistical standpoint...everyone's a number bla bla bla) can be mitigated by mentorship (among other things). This may be the strongest argument in favour of an Africentric school, which will undoubtedly have smaller class sizes. Smaller class sizes -> more individual student attention -> greater likelihood of connecting with students and making them feel accountable and empowered -> greater likelihood of graduation.

Now that I've fully digressed into a meditation on education, why the hell not: the high school graduation rate in Ontario has increased 13 percentage points in eight years. That's no small feat. If that trend continues as specific Charter-style schools are introduced, however, it's going to be hard to directly attribute the increased graduation rate directly to the new schools alone. After all, logical fallacy of post hoc ergo propter hoc. So, again, while there are some good arguments in favour (and some weak ones), to me they still don't establish the inherent value of the separate school that outweighs the risk to overall community cohesion, as I outlined above.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
We still have publicly funded Catholic school in Ontario, so we really don't have anything to complain about.

The other fact is that cultural "integration" usually means assimilation. Whether you are okay with that is a whole other can of worms.

I wonder if the real issue is that it's harder to integrate poor areas than black areas. It just so happens that some of the poorest areas are black.
In my schools in Scarborough, there were a lot of black students and I don't remember them having any trouble fitting in our learning the curriculum. I went to some pretty good schools though in middle class neighborhoods.
I have no doubt in my mind that it would be more difficult to care about school if you grow up poor so maybe the focus should be on helping the children of poor families more than making it seem like black students need a different learning environment.

firehawk12 said:
We still have publicly funded Catholic school in Ontario, so we really don't have anything to complain about.

Yes we do! We can complain about both! Those funded Catholic schools have pissed me off my entire life!

Azih

I don't like this AT ALL. But you can't argue with results *sigh*. I guess we need Native-centric schools as well.

Dyno

Azih said:
I don't like this AT ALL. But you can't argue with results *sigh*. I guess we need Native-centric schools as well.

We have them. There is a Native high school that I pass by all the time.

I don't like the idea in principle and I definitely don't want this going further with a segregated school system. Ethnic learning centres should come from the community, not the government. That said this case was targetting a particular problem: a disproportionate rate of drop-outs. It had to be addressed. Other ethnicities don't necessarily have these problems so hopefully these kinds of initiatives will be as infrequent as possible.

Takao

Banned
Tangentially related rant (sparked by the idea that the city should have other schools like this):

As a person of full Portuguese descent living in Toronto, who has gone to school his entire life with Portuguese people, I can tell you this, the fact many are not performing well isn't due to the curriculum not being tailored for their needs. It isn't due to using hockey references in a math problem instead of a soccer one. It isn't due to us learning more about Samuel De Champlain than we do Henry The Navigator. It's due to the size of the classes. When I was in elementary school, it was about 25-32 kids per teacher. That's just too much for a single teacher to handle properly. I say that, because my elementary school was about 500 kids, and is well known for not performing well in standardized tests like EQAO, and CAT3.

I say this because the article has quotes like this:

Parents say their children are thriving. They feel a sense of belonging, have found role models in their teachers, and gained self confidence.

“With this school our kids are supported all around,” said Nicole Osbourne James, who has three children who attend the school and hopes to send them on to the high school. “There’s a tremendous sense of inclusion.”

This school has 185 students. To me this sounds like a considerably higher teacher per student ratio than my school had. In my opinion, that's the key to success. Students need attention, and the will to be motivated. A single teacher can't provide that for 32 people. I think that's a universal thing, and not just for Portuguese, or black people. So the fact that these school exist makes me shake my head.

That's not just because I think there's a better solution, but because I think there's a problem in separating cultures and races. I'm Portuguese, so I have no qualms in saying this, many of us make incredibly ignorant, and racist comments. Separating us from the rest of the world is only going to make that worse. That's largely because we grow up in neighbor hoods, and go to schools where the predominant race is our own. As such, many don't have the tolerance or understanding needed to see how stupid some of the stuff we're saying is.

firehawk12 said:

But you don't have to be a Catholic to attend a Catholic school. If I was of the age of an elementary school student, could I attend the Africentric school despite being white?

(and yes, I attended Catholic schools too)

Things are going in reverse. We've got all these "multicultural" communities that all live together in the same neighbourhood with other people of their own culture, socialize only with people of their own culture, read newspapers and watch TV of their own culture, shop at stores of their own culture, and now will go to schools of their own culture.

Fucking stupid. Go down the road in 20 years and the results will be clear.

Sober

Holmes said:
I went to a publicly funded Catholic school, you mad? And I ain't even practicing. :p
Pretty much the same, but I got moved into the public school system by high school.

Dyno said:
We have them. There is a Native high school that I pass by all the time.

I don't like the idea in principle and I definitely don't want this going further with a segregated school system. Ethnic learning centres should come from the community, not the government. That said this case was targetting a particular problem: a disproportionate rate of drop-outs. It had to be addressed. Other ethnicities don't necessarily have these problems so hopefully these kinds of initiatives will be as infrequent as possible.
I think that coming from a Catholic school, there are possibly similar constraints (you mostly interact with a community with at least one thing in common) but the problem is that a Catholic school is still more ethnically diverse. I went to Catholic school in Markham but did not really meet any Jewish people or Koreans for that matter until high school in the York Mills area. I mean, it came as a bit of a shock to me for a while after leaving Catholic school but it became business as usual.

I don't really know what I'm trying to say, but there is no arguing that these charter schools do produce good academic results, but I'm just worried that they don't have anything in place to help the students re-integrate (for the lack of a better term) them into a multicultural society. Not to exaggerate but Canada is one of the few places that has a successful multicultural society where many other places are deciding to give up on it.

lunarworks said:
Things are going in reverse. We've got all these "multicultural" communities that all live together in the same neighbourhood with other people of their own culture, socialize only with people of their own culture, read newspapers and watch TV of their own culture, shop at stores of their own culture, and now will go to schools of their own culture.

Enclaves and neighbourhoods are fine as long as the majority of the population interact with others on a daily basis. Are you talking specifically about the older generation/1st generation immigrants? It may also have to do with their previous(and current) socioeconomic status. My parents came to start a family so they had no choice but to integrate into society. I'm guessing you mean the older generation that follows afterwards and leaves their mother country to join their children,etc. Probably too old to learn any functional English or relies on their children to get them around (e.g. my grandparents).

Because if you are talking about the current generation (2nd generation immigrants, etc.) then I think you are wrong because that is more the minority in that case from what I've noticed.

Azih

lunarworks said:

First generation and second generation aren't the same thing. Seriously. Plus don't you note how the 'ethnic' food section of your standard grocery store has exploded? That's because people shop in places where they find the stuff they want to buy.

Edit: I don't like segregated schools either, but your post is a bit hysterical.

Rinoa

I don't like the idea of schools with segregation based on skin colour, as it goes against what Canada means to me.

Children should grow up surrounded by different races. As a child, I never realized people are of different skin colour/race until it was pointed out. People were just people. This is how I'm naturally able to treat/expect/understand people equally in my old age while my parents (despite them being an interracial relationship) aren't. This is what makes Canada awesome.

If I grew up at a school where everyone looked more or less the same and came from similar backgrounds, I can only think of the subliminal aversion to difference it would bring about in an older age. I'd probably grow up hella conservative and full of prejudices.

Anyways, I went to Catholic schools but lucked out as the schools I went to were "normal". Normal in my words: very liberal, pro-gay/bi/trans, pro-choice, gave proper sex education, etc. and not extreme.

The only difference between it and public school was that it was all girls, had kilt uniforms (hellyea), had to attend mass for major festivities, and had to take 1 required religion course each year in HS. The course was easy work and we studied other religions as well.. which is why I turned into a mixed bag religion-wise now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
AlphaTwo00 said:
Ditto.

You do know that in your property tax, you fill in where your money goes, right?
That's not really my issue. It's just the idea that we've accepted Catholic school as a fact of life is the strange part to me.

I'm going to be ignorant here, but even just in terms of sexual education in Catholic schools - do they teach about same sex relationships? Safe sex using contraceptives? There are lots of seemingly hot button social issues that, as someone who observes Catholic policies simply as an outsider, seem to run counter to a productive public education.

Takao

Banned
firehawk12 said:
I'm going to be ignorant here, but even just in terms of sexual education in Catholic schools - do they teach about same sex relationships? Safe sex using contraceptives? There are lots of seemingly hot button social issues that, as someone who observes Catholic policies simply as an outsider, seem to run counter to a productive public education.

Uh, yes. The Catholic curriculum isn't aimed at making students right wing followers of Glen Beck or something.

Sober

firehawk12 said:
That's not really my issue. It's just the idea that we've accepted Catholic school as a fact of life is the strange part to me.

Not in elementary school but we did get taught about our genitals and sorta on what they do. Hell, I didn't even learn about the mechanics of sex until a conversation we had one day with some friends (oh, penis goes hard and stiff, pussy is wet and lubricated? makes sense after that)

High school I can only faintly remember but we did run the gamut of pretty much anything like safe-sex and STIs, etc.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Takao said:
Uh, yes. The Catholic curriculum isn't aimed at making students right wing followers of Glen Beck or something.
Haha, I just hear stories about American Catholic schools where female teachers are fired for getting pregnant out of marriage, so...

Sober said:
Not in elementary school but we did get taught about our genitals and sorta on what they do. Hell, I didn't even learn about the mechanics of sex until a conversation we had one day with some friends (oh, penis goes hard and stiff, pussy is wet and lubricated? makes sense after that)

High school I can only faintly remember but we did run the gamut of pretty much anything like safe-sex and STIs, etc.
What exactly makes the curriculum "Catholic" then? There's a small part of me that is imagining junior seminary school with uniforms and strict teachers - which is my problem, admittedly.

Top Bottom