• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Who's smart idea was it to not have Santa at the Eaton Centre this year? He's only there from 9-10 am on Saturday and Sunday. If kids want to talk to him then they have to Skype him and even then it's only M-F 6-8pm and by appointment only. What the fuck?

The Eaton Centre gets so friggen packed on normal days that they couldn't possibly want to add a lineup of 80 children and their parents and their pets into the mix.

That, or some helicopter parent is worried that some evil Toronto mall-goer is going to swipe their child right from under their arm.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
the party doesn't make parliamentary nominations (well, not explicitly). Individual MPPs nominate a colleague who may choose to stand for nomination.

The speaker is currently a Liberal (this guy) though Klees was considering a run (which might well have been successful; the guy's well-respected across the board, despite being somewhere to the right of Randy Hillier wrt social politics).

Here's what I think happened: in a tie vote, the speaker is asked to vote, and most always votes with the government. PC Party brass would have seen this as an MPP trying to undermine them (and at least in part, they'd be right) so they put the kaibosh on him so the man wouldn't have to end his political career as a pariah of the party he served well for 30 years.

I suspect there's more to it than that, and it's not being published. But ultimately, that's what it amounts to.

I just find it funny because the Australian Parliament went through this exact scenario. Pretty much tied house and the Liberal MP betrayed the party (because he was being pushed out) and decided to become speaker, giving Labour a clean majority. It was just uncannily similar.

soultron

Banned
“I have no respect for the Toronto Star whatsoever. If people want to read a paper, pick up the Globe, Post or Sun. That’s what I encourage people to do,” Ford said on Friday morning.
The Sun? HAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAAHA.

When Sun Media decided to pose their provincial election coverage as a sporting event, I lost the last tiny shred of respect I had for them.

Fuck that noise.

cbox

The Sun? HAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAAHA.

When Sun Media decided to pose their provincial election coverage as a sporting event, I lost the last tiny shred of respect I had for them.

Fuck that noise.

Didn't the sun do that welcome to hell spread after McGuinty won?

Didn't the sun do that welcome to hell spread after McGuinty won?

E2o3V.jpg

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I used to defend the toronto sun, but when I saw that cover- I got so pissed off- WE VOTED IN THE GOVERNMENT

So after that point I curse that piece of shit tabloid, because that was a direct attack on the population, regardless if they were intending to bash the liberal party

I'd much prefer to have anybody in there besides that useless bowel of flesh hudak

Another day, another dumb idea from the Fords. This time Doug wants to invite the UFC to get involved with the public school board.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...gests-schools-explore-ufc-linked-program?bn=1

This is the kicker, though:

The email was sent Thursday, one day after Premier Dalton McGuinty announced bold new anti-bullying legislation that seeks to curb aggressive behaviour in Ontario schools. Some TDSB trustees were left questioning the sense of proposing a program backed by UFC.

The Fords have absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Roto13

So hey, I think we've discussed B. Zone Games here a bit before. It's a shitty little games store that somehow manages to stay in business just down the street from Game Centre, even though everything in it is overpriced. They have a Yelp rating of one star with five one-star reviews, one of which is mine from some months back. Here's my original review:

Me earlier this year said:
Why on earth would anyone come here when Game Centre is just down the street? Any time I've gone in there to check the price of something, Game Centre has had it for cheaper. I've never actually seen a customer in there. Even on Boxing Day, their sales pretty much just bumped some prices down to something reasonable. (Speaking of sales, why do they constantly have a big "SALE" sign in their window? It's not usually true.) Stay away from here.

Well I got a message yesterday saying the owner of the store had replied to my review.

Daniel Z. of B. Zone Games said:
If you only ask as to match the price of another store we will gladly do it if we can.

He also wrote replies to a couple of other reviews, which were quite a bit nastier than the one he wrote to mine. Of course, price matching against a store that's literally half a block away is a stupid idea, so I wrote an update:

Me yesterday said:
EDIT (12/3/11): Why would I price match with a store across the street and not just go to that other store with the lower prices in the first place? I'd have to want a reason to spend my money at B. Zone Games, and I absolutely do not.

When I walk past with my husband, sometimes I joke that this place must be a front for selling drugs or guns or something, because it seriously makes no sense that they've managed to stay open as long as they have.

Of course, that wasn't the end of it. I got a message in my Yelp inbox a few minutes ago.

Look at He said:
in that case don' t bring your ugly face to my store ever again! not like you can afford anything anyways:))) hate stupid dick heads like you. My sales guy will be told to through you out if your fat ass will ever be seen here again

I don't take that shit. So I updated my review once more.

Me Again said:
EDIT 2 (12/4/11): Our new BFF Daniel Z of B. Zone Games (see the one hilariously trying to refuse all of these negative reviews) is none to happy with my review in particular. Maybe he should have just posted his dumbass message to me in his rebuttal. Then he could at least delete it when he realizes what a terrible idea it was to send it in the first place.

"in that case don' t bring your ugly face to my store ever again! not like you can afford anything anyways:))) hate stupid dick heads like you. My sales guy will be told to through you out if your fat ass will ever be seen here again"

Oh no, I can't go to the worst video game store in the city any more. Woe is me! Woe!

This is going on NeoGAF.

You can see all the drama yourself here. Dude does not know what he's doing.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
A bit off topic, but since I started actually using my 3DS online, anyone from Toronto-Age wanting to add me; 2964-8578-2643

So hey, I think we've discussed B. Zone Games here a bit before. It's a shitty little games store that somehow manages to stay in business just down the street from Game Centre, even though everything in it is overpriced. They have a Yelp rating of one star with five one-star reviews, one of which is mine from some months back. Here's my original review:
-snip

I haven't been to this place in years, despite walking by it all the time. There's just no point. The person working there, I guess the owner, doesn't give a shit, everything is over priced and there's no selection. I always wondered how they stayed in business.

Hilarious the way he responses to people online. I guess I'll be writing a Yelp review soon!

Takao

Banned
I've never even heard of that store before...

As for 3DS friend codes, I've added everyone so far. My FC is 0001-3432-3734

Roto13

Just got a message from one of his friends or his other account or something. Called me a faggot. Lovely. What a great way to win customers.

Roto13

Now I'm getting threats.

All you can do is block people because you too much of a pussy to answer for yourself. How about you go shuv a banana up your fat angly faggot ass and go fuck yourself. Morons like you are not customers and we are
Doing just fine with out you fucking low life creatures. If you wanna be a man come and face me so i can dreak some bones in your fat or just shut up and drop dead you stupid ugly fat faggot

Boogie

I was like, "He can't possibly mean that UFC, can he?" Oh, but he does.

Wow. There are no words.

All right, kids.

As much as we all justifiably hate the Fords, it's time for me, as GAF's resident MMA fanatic, to put on my "devil's advocate" hat and drop some truth bombs up in this biatch.

The only issue I have with the above is that it is somewhat distasteful with the whole UFC corporate sponsorship/branding thing.

Otherwise, give me a fucking break.

I consider it as axiomatic that sports, whatever the sport, has always been one of the most effective ways at instilling in kids qualities of motivation, discipline, hard work, etc, and that goes double for martial arts.

For God's sake, boxing has been a way for inner city youth in America to "get off the streets" and make something of themselves for a century. None of y'all watched seasons 3 and 4 of The Wire, did you?

The constituent martial arts which make up MMA, whether they be Brazilian jiu-jitsu, boxing, kickboxing, karate, wrestling, judo, etc. are all capable of instilling such positive qualities in youths as any other sport is. Martial arts training does not make children into violent bullies. Quite the opposite, from my experience.

If and when I have children, they will absolutely be enrolled in some aspect of these martial arts.

As for the "meeting UFC fighters" aspect of the program? I dare anyone to try and argue that Georges St. Pierre is not the gold standard of a role model for kids.

It is unfortunate that MMA has not yet reached the level of widespread public acceptance for this idea to be a non-story, and as an MMA fan I am upset at The Star's blatant fearmongering with this story. I coached bantam competitive hockey for a couple of years, and the dark side of the fighting/thug culture of our national sport was far more poisonous and ingrained than exposing high school students to Brazilian Jiu-jitsu.

But go ahead, everyone, keep up with your ignorant knee-jerk reactions just because the Fords like UFC.

http://it.ufc.com/news/UFC-Launches-Community-Initiative+

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I love when Boogie jumps in, usually to fly off the handle, but for once it's not about TPS. ;)
I kid because I love, Boogie.

UFC influence could be used in a good way in schools, especially if they go in with a message like 'bullying shouldn't be tolerated'. It would be excellent for these guys to carry that message, and kids might actually listen. I don't really have an issue with them coming in to preach good messages.

But it should really be up to the parents, and whether, or not they want the the organization having an influence in the school their child is attending.

The Ford's issues are the way they present it. They lay it out there too easily for the media to eat up, especially after a string of bully reports and suicides across GTA schools. If they would for once get ahead of something and actually present it within a decent light, maybe it wouldn't have received the same amount of criticism.

Of course, given both Rob and Doug Ford's history, their presentation and outlook on inviting the UFC into schools might not come across the way that would really sell it.

I won't argue that "discipline and respect" aren't a large part of MMA, but honestly, why do people tune into it? To see two burly men in a cage beat each other bloody and into submission.

You cannot go into school with a program carrying that sort of subtext with it.

If you want martial arts training, go the dignified route with it. Not the route lined with douchebags in TapOut shirts.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I won't argue that "discipline and respect" aren't a large part of MMA, but honestly, why do people tune into it? To see two burly men in a cage beat each other bloody and into submission.

If you want martial arts training, go the dignified route with it. Not the route lined with douchebags in TapOut shirts.

Some parents also have issues with the perception of corporations and businesses advertising to their kids within schools. Uproar when Pepsi wants to start selling kids pop and sponsoring lunch, etc.

Quick

Banned
I won't argue that "discipline and respect" are a large part of MMA, but honestly, why do people tune into it? To see two burly men in a cage beat each other bloody and into submission.

It's the same argument with watching boxing, and boxing is less controversial.

I'm with Boogie for the most part. I'm still a bit leery on it, but if done properly with proper educators, it wouldn't be so bad. And GSP's a classy guy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's the same argument with watching boxing, and boxing is less controversial.

I'm with Boogie for the most part. I'm still a bit leery on it, but if done properly with proper educators, it wouldn't be so bad. And GSP's a classy guy.
Well, it's probably because boxing is called the "sweet science" while UFC glorifies the violence aspect. I mean, technically they're the same, but one is marketed way differently than the other.

Quick

Banned
Well, it's probably because boxing is called the "sweet science" while UFC glorifies the violence aspect. I mean, technically they're the same, but one is marketed way differently than the other.

Lunaworks makes a strong argument with those douchebaggy TapOut shirts, though. I really hate those shirts.

Dyno

I love when Boogie jumps in, usually to fly off the handle, but for once it's not about TPS. ;)
I kid because I love, Boogie.

UFC influence could be used in a good way in schools, especially if they go in with a message like 'bullying shouldn't be tolerated'. It would be excellent for these guys to carry that message, and kids might actually listen. I don't really have an issue with them coming in to preach good messages.

But it should really be up to the parents, and whether, or not they want the the organization having an influence in the school their child is attending.

The Ford's issues are the way they present it. They lay it out there too easily for the media to eat up, especially after a string of bully reports and suicides across GTA schools. If they would for once get ahead of something and actually present it within a decent light, maybe it wouldn't have received the same amount of criticism.

Of course, given both Rob and Doug Ford's history, their presentation and outlook on inviting the UFC into schools might not come across the way that would really sell it.

I was on the high school wrestling team and I loved it but I think those days are long gone.

Schools are orienting themselves to be non-violent places. That includes cutting down on violent sports. I don't think UFC is going to get a pass on that.

Doug Ford reveals yet again how horribly out of touch he is. I don't have a problem with a kid-oriented UFC program but it's probably better as a private activity rather than something the school should get involved in, especially with the city under budget restraints.

My wife took me to Woodlot restaurant for my birthday over the weekend. I liked it even better this time around! Such great food in an atmosphere that isn't snooty. The crostini appetizer they have is so good that I almost fell on the floor eating it!

I love eating fancy food and not feeling like I have to wear an uncomfortable suit! I was wearing just some blue jeans and a black hooded sweater and I said to my wife "I hope I won't look underdressed" but when we walked in I spotted some guy wearing a Ghostbusters t-shirt and said "whew, good!"

Blackhead

Redarse
Noted in an article on the cuts afflicting American public libraries:
These are arduous times for public library systems. More people are using libraries during the economic downturn, but state and local legislators are steadily cutting their budgets. The American Library Association notes that since 2008, "more than half the states have reported a decrease in funding, with cumulative cuts averaging greater than ten percent." Library systems of all sizes are under pressure. The Los Angeles County public library system, which serves 3.7 million citizens, faces a structural deficit of $22 million a year for the next decade. Budget cuts have forced the Seattle Public Library, one of the nation's finest, to shut down for a week in late summer. Thomas Galante, CEO of the bustling Queens Library, which serves hundreds of thousands of immigrants in New York City, spoke reverently about one healthy and outstanding public library—in Toronto.
Do you use the library often?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
My wife took me to Woodlot restaurant for my birthday over the weekend. I liked it even better this time around! Such great food in an atmosphere that isn't snooty. The crostini appetizer they have is so good that I almost fell on the floor eating it!

I love eating fancy food and not feeling like I have to wear an uncomfortable suit! I was wearing just some blue jeans and a black hooded sweater and I said to my wife "I hope I won't look underdressed" but when we walked in I spotted some guy wearing a Ghostbusters t-shirt and said "whew, good!"
Ummm...I've been to a ton of fancy places in TO, and never have I seen a dress code. This includes harbour sixty steakhouse...

Top Bottom