• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

The constituent martial arts which make up MMA, whether they be Brazilian jiu-jitsu, boxing, kickboxing, karate, wrestling, judo, etc. are all capable of instilling such positive qualities in youths as any other sport is. Martial arts training does not make children into violent bullies. Quite the opposite, from my experience.

I very much agree with you here Boogie. Also, was GSP not also explicit that he was bullied as a kid, and this motivated him to take up martial arts? Or, am I mistaking him for someone else?

But all this aside, these kids don't idolize GSP and Machida and whoever else because of their technique and discipline. They idolize them for their ability to rain down hell on their opponents. And, I'd argue that while many kids do, at some point in their lives, take some form of martial arts, they still count for a small minority of children.

At a certain age, they may be smart enough to grasp the difference between bullying and raining down hell (and "raining down hell" and technique/discipline, for that matter), but that's not enough to justify an icon of an inherently violent sport coming into classrooms and saying "don't beat people up because it's not cool." It's a contradictory message to what kids see on television and it makes little sense coming from someone whose job it is to ...beat people up.

And I say that as a casual fan of the sport.

Regardless, so much of what bullying consists of these days isn't schoolyard fighting, it's cyber-oriented and emotional harassment. Neither of which have anything in particular to do with the UFC.

Should this stop the UFC from offering a community program to at-risk youth to teach them the techniques that comprise MMA? Certainly not. And, they could have a great deal of value in that context.

But let's not pretend that the images that the UFC projects - of fighters who use their anger to beat the living daylights out of their opponents - make a natural partner for the anti-violence efforts of schools.

So, ultimately, is this news? I shouldn't think so. But, IMO, neither is it a particularly well-thought-out idea.

Anyone like gritty urban photos?

6453237773_15c31b52ca_o.jpg

(just a disclaimer - I don't take any of the photos I post on here.. I just find ones I like in random threads on urbantoronto.ca)

Speaking of UFC........Britney Palmer is going to be at Real Sports from 4-6

I'm going to the Leafs game, I might see if I can get her autograph before the game :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Urban Toronto is always my favorite site for shots of the city. I can't wait for the winter, because the icy / snow covered photos of the city are amazing.

Azih

Anyone like gritty urban photos?

6453237773_15c31b52ca_o.jpg

(just a disclaimer - I don't take any of the photos I post on here.. I just find ones I like in random threads on urbantoronto.ca)

That's a beautiful pic. But I wouldn't call it gritty. It's pretty cheery what with the lighted trees and splashes of colour.

Azih

That did inspire me to look up an old favourite photoblog of mine, topleftpixel. Dude's been posting a pic a day for years now.
city_from-above_fog_x-condo_01.jpg

Gritty

So, I'm going to the Leafs game tonight. First time I've ever been to one.

I'm actually not sure who to cheer for, since my cousin plays for the Devils. :p

soultron

Banned
So, I'm going to the Leafs game tonight. First time I've ever been to one.

I'm actually not sure who to cheer for, since my cousin plays for the Devils. :p

So jelly. Going to Red Wings at TO on January 9th. Pretty pumped.

---

I need to get out of Hamilton. I want to move to TO really badly but doubt I'll be able to afford it.

My roommates are all basically parting ways (one buying a house, don't want to live with him because he's moving to Stoney Creek and I don't want to feel like a mooch, even though he's offered; another back to Aurora with his family; etc. etc.) and Hamilton doesn't really offer that much in my job field (software development) so I want to get the hell out. Toronto seems tempting, yet expensive. Haha.

I hope Scarborough voters are happy, because their transit is now fucked:

Scarborough residents will be without rail transit for four years starting in 2015, when the Scarborough RT light rail system running between Kennedy Station and McCowan Road is take off the rails, said Toronto Transit Commission Chief General Manager Gary Webster Tuesday afternoon.

"The phase-in of Scarborough will be from the fall of 2015 to 2019," Webster told reporters outside the city's budget committee meeting.

Webster had been responding to questions at the budget committee meeting about the plans to rebuild the aging SRT line. Prior to the last election, the line was scheduled to be shut down and rebuilt as a light rail line in 2015, as soon as the Sheppard LRT went on line as a part of former Mayor David Miller's Transit City plan.

But when Rob Ford was elected mayor last year, work on the Sheppard LRT ceased, and according to a memorandum of understanding the entirety of the $8.3-billion Transit City budget went to turning the Eglinton crosstown line into an underground light rail line. The city, meanwhile, is looking for a way to fund a $4.2-billion-plus subway line along Sheppard. But it is unlikely construction of such a subway could be underway by 2015.

There has been some confusion as to how long the SRT was to be out of service, because the Eglinton plan would have joined that line to the SRT, making it a continuous service. Webster himself initially forecast the transit drought in Scarborough to be seven years, and told that to both the committee and reporters.

Whether seven years or four years, however, this was the first time that Webster had put a timeline to how long Scarborough residents would be without rapid transit service throughout.

Ward 41 Councillor Chin Lee said Scarborough residents would simply have to "deal with it."

Lee, who supported the Sheppard LRT, said residents groups who fought hard against the LRT and supported Mayor Rob Ford in promising to scrap it have gotten what they asked for.

"Unfortunately the subway advocates were a very vocal group and the mayor listened to them, so we've got to deal with this situation now - this situation of no rapid transit north in Scarborough until the SRT is rebuilt," he said. "Just be careful what you ask for, and think of all the implications."

Mlatador

Banned
Where do you live now, Mlatador?

Frankfurt, Germany :) It's pretty good here as well, but nothing compared to Toronto. I really liked the cultural diversity. The people I met there during my trip (little less than 1,5 years) added to making the place being something extra-special for me as well of course.

All in all, GREAT City, GREAT people, GREAT nightlife. Treated me very well, whether I was studying or working. On the streets I felt always save, no matter the hour.

And, because of the diversity, it's really easy to get authentic food almost everywhere (koran food and sushi were awesome, with the latter being almost as good as the one you can get in Vancouver - a very nice place as well)

The Conservatives aren't concerned with crime, they're concerned with unreported crime.

Indeed. We have to punish the unreported criminals with years upon years in prisons for crimes they may or may not have committed.

We don't really know, but if someone would just report them we could find out.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Anyone want to post a quick "history of events" here? Cause this has to go deeper than just Ford and Fordites.

Planning for the City has been terrible for years with rails on Roncesvalles, and St Clair.. and just working on streets in the city in general. Hydro will dig up a street to do pipe repairs, pave it over, then six months later TTC will dig it up to do more repairs, and then leave it patched over for two years with cheap uneven asphalt.

They had to dig up sections of Roncesvalles three times in some cases. Nightmare planning by the city, as always. Scarborough commuters will probably have to live with bus routes providing service along the former rail line.

BKXB

Economist
Anyone want to post a quick "history of events" here? Cause this has to go deeper than just Ford and Fordites.

I forget the details, but essentially it was known that the SRT is/was falling apart and needed an overhaul. Transit City would have replaced (?) it. Ford scrapped Transit City.

Azih

Scarborough has always gotten screwed on transit affairs. Which is why David Miller flipped his lid when the Ontario government scaled back and delayed Transit City lines going to Scarborough due to budget issues (which confused the province as I recall no doubt thinking that Scarberians don't care that they get screwed all the time so why does Miller give a fuck?)

http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/0...ric-or-project-at-risk-province-tells-miller/

Of course Transit City is deeeeead now so I don't know.

I mean everybody should know by now that Nobody in Canada wants to fund anything in Toronto so that should kill the myopic "we need subways" line of thinking. For some reason it doesn't. Toronto lucked out with McGuinty but proceeded to throw it all away by voting Ford.

It's one thing to read about the horrors in Toronto's transit past. TO SEE IT HAPPEN RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME is crazy depressing.

The Leafs game last night was fun... but I was waaaaay to fucking drunk to enjoy it properly.

My brother and sister are heavy drinkers, and kept giving me beers. When they cost that much, you can't put it down and not drink it.

We'll see how Scarborough votes on October 27, 2014.

If you think the voters will be any wiser, think again.

It's like all the people here who didn't disagree with Smitherman's policies, but voted against him simply because he was gay.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

It's like all the people here who didn't disagree with Smitherman's policies, but voted against him simply because he was gay.
Someone just needs a catchphrase that can beat Ford.

The Leafs game last night was fun... but I was waaaaay to fucking drunk to enjoy it properly.

My brother and sister are heavy drinkers, and kept giving me beers. When they cost that much, you can't put it down and not drink it.

I was at the game too, tough loss, but the Leafs were zombies in the first

My friend won a signed Schenn jersey from the Loose Moose, I was so jealous

I just got a notice from the owner of my apartment building saying they plan on demolishing it to replace it with a new rental unit.

FUCK!!!

FUCK!!!!!!!

I hate moving. There is going to be a meeting in a couple of weeks for tenants to meet with ownership but I assume we are SOL.

How long do I have? I guess they can say GTFO in sixty days as that's what it says on my lease.

FUCKERS.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
More public hearings on budget cuts today at City Hill

I just started watching. Not sure if the executive committee is pulling the same stunts, but looks like they're giving the speakers full time (?!). They're a bit depressing to watch after a while, knowing they'll make little difference.

http://www.680news.com/news/local/article/307027

I just got a notice from the owner of my apartment building saying they plan on demolishing it to replace it with a new rental unit.

FUCK!!!

FUCK!!!!!!!

I hate moving. There is going to be a meeting in a couple of weeks for tenants to meet with ownership but I assume we are SOL.

How long do I have? I guess they can say GTFO in sixty days as that's what it says on my lease.

FUCKERS.

Damn Doctor. Sorry to hear about that. I'm not sure what's legal when it comes to eviction because of building demolition. It looks like they probably have the right, with the 60 days notice, but if they don't follow through with the demo, you can press charges against them.

For more: http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/STEL02_111281.html

Boogie

But all this aside, these kids don't idolize GSP and Machida and whoever else because of their technique and discipline. They idolize them for their ability to rain down hell on their opponents. And, I'd argue that while many kids do, at some point in their lives, take some form of martial arts, they still count for a small minority of children.

At a certain age, they may be smart enough to grasp the difference between bullying and raining down hell (and "raining down hell" and technique/discipline, for that matter), but that's not enough to justify an icon of an inherently violent sport coming into classrooms and saying "don't beat people up because it's not cool." It's a contradictory message to what kids see on television and it makes little sense coming from someone whose job it is to ...beat people up.

Ah, but to that, I counter with an old Vulcan proverb:

Only Nixon could go to China.

More public hearings on budget cuts today at City Hill

I just started watching. Not sure if the executive committee is pulling the same stunts, but looks like they're giving the speakers full time (?!). They're a bit depressing to watch after a while, knowing they'll make little difference.

http://www.680news.com/news/local/article/307027

Damn Doctor. Sorry to hear about that. I'm not sure what's legal when it comes to eviction because of building demolition. It looks like they probably have the right, with the 60 days notice, but if they don't follow through with the demo, you can press chargers against them.

For more: http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/STEL02_111281.html

Thanks.

Roto13

FUCK!!!

FUCK!!!!!!!

FUCKERS.

I've been in this situation in Vancouver. It was so outrageously stressful and annoying. Ugh.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
A bit off topic, but since I started actually using my 3DS online, anyone from Toronto-Age wanting to add me; 2964-8578-2643

I'm 3609-1192-2134!

My friend code is 2878 9697 8191. I'ma add you both.

As for 3DS friend codes, I've added everyone so far. My FC is 0001-3432-3734

<- 1633-4181-9712
Added all you guys. I miss anyone in this thread?

Mine is 4725-7961-1749.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
There's almost no point in watching these public budget meetings anymore. Mammoliti up to his old tricks: "What frustrates me is that we are hearing from the same ppl over and over again, don't they work?"

Silent majority, right?

3DS update hit with Find Mii II.

Just another day in Ford Kingdom..

ut1fM.jpg

Do you really want to save him?

Also, I've noticed an abundance of ads with scantily clad women floating around downtown this morning.

60 days but I have no idea if that was legal. Also it was in BC where the laws don't favour renters as much as they seem to here.

The thought of trying to rent in the same area with all the other ousted tenants does not sound like fun. :( Especially if it's only 60 days away.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

FUCK!!!

FUCK!!!!!!!

FUCKERS.
Where do you live/want to live?

I have a basement for rent, so gimme a pm. Live in Riverdale, 2 rooms, separate entrance own bathroom...ummm...still not surr about stove and fridge situation, bit if you're serious I can check. No pets, cable though. My wifi is available if it goes down that far.

Though I offer, this next part may confuse.

I think I may be done with this city. I simply cannot find a full time decent job with prospects. I'm stuck with contracts. Might be I have to leave and will start job hunting in other cities soon.

Presco

The thought of trying to rent in the same area with all the other ousted tenants does not sound like fun. :( Especially if it's only 60 days away.

Think of it as an opportunity to shake things up and make some positive changes. Yes, on one hand it sucks. But you can end up somewhere great, especially if you're proactive about the search.

Going through something similar ourselves. We rent the main floor and basement of a house in Little Italy and our landlord lives upstairs. He and his wife also own a condo being built at King and Bathurst and they are looking to move to the condo next summer/fall and convert the house we all live in back to a single family home. They'll easily get > 900K for the place. Sucks that we have to move cause I really like the place and the neighborhood but at the same time, change can be good. We offered to leave even earlier than they requested cause we're cool like that :)

Might downsize a bit and try the condo lifestyle and rent a place in Liberty Village or down near Fort York....wife and I are going to tour a few neighborhoods this weekend.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Think of it as an opportunity to shake things up and make some positive changes. Yes, on one hand it sucks. But you can end up somewhere great, especially if you're proactive about the search.

Going through something similar ourselves. We rent the main floor and basement of a house in Little Italy and our landlord lives upstairs. He and his wife also own a condo being built at King and Bathurst and they are looking to move to the condo next summer/fall and convert the house we all live in back to a single family home. They'll easily get > 900K for the place. Sucks that we have to move cause I really like the place and the neighborhood but at the same time, change can be good. We offered to leave even earlier than they requested cause we're cool like that :)

Might downsize a bit and try the condo lifestyle and rent a place in Liberty Village or down near Fort York....wife and I are going to tour a few neighborhoods this weekend.
Well if you're interested, you can pm me too.

Ah, so that's who won that. Shame on them for knowing the name of that awful band.

No no no, the trivia was for other crap, the jersey you had to text in a name that was on a ballot on your table, and then after the game they texted/called the winner but you had to be in the bar............she was walking to her car and got the call and was close enough to the bar so she was able to get the jersey.........lucky

Top Bottom