• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Law Enforcement

Well she said it's pretty basic stuff. She didn't do law enforcement though, and her test had some basic calculations for determining interest, but her position was more of a financial thing. No idea what law enforcement would need.

Willectro

Banned

PBR.

Oh man. Yeah I could see how that might colour your opinion. Ottawa after a hockey game was sort of pathetic, too.

That said I figure if the euros can "handle it", so can we. There would probably be a bit of a crazy period at first but then I think it would basically settle down again.

The crazy period is what I would be worried about. Tough to sacrifice public safety for convenience, IMO.

You were the one who originally brought up selection because you somehow assume that supermarkets and convenience stores would have a worse selection than the LCBO. All it takes is a trip across the border to realize how flawed that thinking is. The issue with Canadian liquor laws is that even when they are privatized, they're still mandated by an absurd provincial liquor control board that shops are forced to buy from in the first place. The first step is to remove them from the marketplace entirely and the next step is to do away with the puritanical liquor laws we have in place to increase buying freedom to the point where specialized private stores can stock anything they want (like stores should be able to do).

Even Québécois convenience stores have better beer selection than most LCBOs and Beer Stores. The best part? If one store doesn't have it, try the store next door.

How about the fact that a small-batch whiskey from upstate New York costs $45 if you buy it in the U.S. but $75 from the LCBO? You actually think the LCBO is keeping prices down? I'd rather pay 15% sales tax on booze than justify high prices so that they can pay unionized workers to give me alcohol and take money.

Where would the average grocery store/convenience store fit the current selection at the LCBO, or an even better/bigger selection? I'm not sure how that is physically possible. And they are of course only going to stock popular options which I'm sure will be deemed poor.

And the whole 'US is doing it' argument is terrible. I can't believe that was even brought up. The US is beyond fucked up, and on top of that they know nothing about beer. What are so "puritanical" about our laws? They are created with public safety and revenue generation in mind. You claim you want a US system, but they just allow corporations to call the shots and collect the revenue. Molson and Anheuser-Busch are as capitalist as it gets.

Which Quebec convenience stores have a better selection than LCBO/Beer Store? Because if they do, at that point they are a glorified liquor store.

I don't think the LCBO is keeping the prices down, its a well known fact. The prices increasing in Alberta was brought up earlier and is amazingly ironic. Pretty hard to argue with that. And yea, the booze is cheaper in the US because they barely pay tax, and because of that they get fuck all in terms of social services. If I have to decide between saving $30 on whiskey or LCBO employees getting good wages and not having to pay for health care, I guess whiskey is going to be more expensive. You also realize if you pay employees good wages and not minimum wage it betters the entire community, right? How much do you think an LCBO employee makes realistically? It's good, but it isn't amazing.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
How much do you think an LCBO employee makes realistically? It's good, but it isn't amazing.
IIRC Store workers make between $12 and $16 per hour.

BTW, after some of your posts about Ford in the past I never thought I'd agree with you as much as I do right now. I'm a little scared. :p

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

BTW, after some of your posts about Ford in the past I never thought I'd agree with you as much as I do right now. I'm a little scared. :p

Those are part time contractors, I believe.

My friend who works for them makes more than that. Just a regular cashier.

On another note,

jhe8nQsi6Jxn2.png

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So waht the heck am I supposed to do when starting Monster Hunter?

I ended up on some port and am fighting some monster who just ran away.

Yea, I know in Canada/Ontario this may be shocking as everyone seems to have this misconception that domestic products are automatically inferior. I only buy VQA wine for the most part anyway. But yea, I know supporting local businesses is blasphemy to some.

It's not that Wine Rack sells "only Ontario" wines that makes it less than ideal; it's the fact that the Ontario wines that they *do* choose to sell generally taste better on waffles than in a glass.

Also: The wines they sell are only bottled by Ontario wineries. They also sell Ontario-international blends (Australia, for one) and other regional alcohols that are bottled in the province.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So waht the heck am I supposed to do when starting Monster Hunter?

I ended up on some port and am fighting some monster who just ran away.

Read the text early on, or you'll get lost. You're suppose to go into the woods and get some raw meat. Then meet the chief's kid in the camp site.

Toronto Test: Name as many restaurants as you can within a 10-minute walk from the ACC. No search engines, no mapping software. Straight from memory. Go.

I've just had an interaction with someone who has supposedly lived in Toronto all her life and "doesn't know" anything in that neighbourhood. I rhymed off 15 restaurants in a minute before giving up and wondering if this is a common thing. I came here to test my hypothesis.

Boogie

Toronto Test: Name as many restaurants as you can within a 10-minute walk from the ACC. No search engines, no mapping software. Straight from memory. Go.

I've just had an interaction with someone who has supposedly lived in Toronto all her life and "doesn't know" anything in that neighbourhood. I rhymed off 15 restaurants in a minute before giving up and wondering if this is a common thing. I came here to test my hypothesis.

Harbour Sixty!

Joe Badali's, Jack Astor's, Loose Moose, Casey's, Real Sports, that fancy-looking restaurant just north of Real Sports, Harbour street grille, spaghetti factory, all those pubs near spaghetti factory, that steakhouse on York street with the funky-coloured sign, the Keg, Hy's.....

Willectro

Banned

Haha, yea unfortunately Ford was truly not humbled by the entire thing. I hate to say he actually may have become worse.

In regards to the Liquor debate, people are going to be very divided on this subject, as this thread has proven. I could make
poor
arguments for either position really.

It's not that Wine Rack sells "only Ontario" wines that makes it less than ideal; it's the fact that the Ontario wines that they *do* choose to sell generally taste better on waffles than in a glass.

Also: The wines they sell are only bottled by Ontario wineries. They also sell Ontario-international blends (Australia, for one) and other regional alcohols that are bottled in the province.

That's true. I usually buy wine at the LCBO anyway.

Read the text early on, or you'll get lost. You're suppose to go into the woods and get some raw meat. Then meet the chief's kid in the camp site.

I haven't bought MH for the 3DS yet, but this is off-putting. They did really odd things with the text, making it poor to read, imo. Otherwise it seems like a decent game.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Those are part time contractors, I believe.

My friend who works for them makes more than that. Just a regular cashier.

On another note,

jhe8nQsi6Jxn2.png
Dear god, my brand new niece shares a b-day with you. :(

RE: Wine. I never buy wine because my uncle makes his own. It's super smooth while drinking then it knocks you on your ass after 2 glasses. I usually don't drink too much of it or else I have a killer hangover the next day.

Sober

Well you always have people who don't live in Toronto proper (like myself in Markham) or never leave their own neighbourhood but say they live in Toronto until they're asked to prove it.

I never tell a Torontonian I'm from Toronto though, that's asking for it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Dear god, my brand new niece shares a b-day with you. :(

RE: Wine. I never buy wine because my uncle makes his own. It's super smooth while drinking then it knocks you on your ass after 2 glasses. I usually don't drink too much of it or else I have a killer hangover the next day.
;)
Well you always have people who don't live in Toronto proper (like myself in Markham) or never leave their own neighbourhood but say they live in Toronto until they're asked to prove it.

I never tell a Torontonian I'm from Toronto though, that's asking for it.
Eh, I'm not super familiar with the area around ACC.

Ask me about Leslieville though and I can name 10 coffee places here...it's insane.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The text, not the game itself.
Text on the gamepad still blows.

And I fucking hate how if you're using the game pad as a display you can't dedicate one of those fucking buttons to center on the monster. :(

Dammit Krafty! When is this next meet up so I can interfere with everyone's attacks with my long sword!

Bier market, Scotland Yard, old spaghetti factory, flat iron and firkin, twisted kilt or something, Jack actors, azure, loose moose, Joe badalis, lone star, Chipotle Boston pizza, baton rouge, real sports, the place beside real sports, McDonald's, hoops, armadillo, shopsys, caseys, East side marcos, sushi place at royal York, harbor 60, the fox, captain john's lol.......

whitehawk

Banned

Hot Dog Stand...and...uh... Another Hot Dog Stand.

explodet

I dunno if you can legally call Captain John's a restaurant anymore.
Is that guy still shacked up in there?

And don't forget the e11even restaurant, with its $16 hot dogs.

LMN

Hi fellow gaffer, I have some questions concerning internet provider, is Teksavvy better than Roger, in term of speed, connection, and service? I have been using Roger internet since I move here, however my contract with Roger will end soon and I'm thinking of changing to Teksavvy instead.

Thanks ^^

Azih

Hi fellow gaffer, I have some questions concerning internet provider, is Teksavvy better than Roger, in term of speed, connection, and service? I have been using Roger internet since I move here, however my contract with Roger will end soon and I'm thinking of changing to Teksavvy instead.

Thanks ^^

Can't speak to speed, but they're reliable, cheaper, and I'm happier with their service.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Thanks ^^

Get Teksavvy for sure. You won't regret it. Get away from the big red devil.

LMN

Thank for your suggestion Divvy and Azih =), btw I forget to mention that I lived in downtown Toronto, how is Teksavvy's service and internet there? Is it all the same around Toronto? Or depend on location too?

I really do want to get away from the big red devil =P

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Thanks ^^

You're in essence using the same service, since they share a lot (but not all) of the infrastructure. Speeds will be comparable, depending on the package of course (Rogers has added 'premium' packages recently, Teksavvy is catching up. See Willectro below). If you want to stick it to Rogers, go with Teksavvy. Some people complain about their customer service, but they are very active on Twitter and DSLreports when it comes to resolving issues. Our cable internet with Teksavvy is never down, save for their overnight maintenance which I never run into. So I only have good things to say about them.

Willectro

Banned
Thank for your suggestion Divvy and Azih =), btw I forget to mention that I lived in downtown Toronto, how is Teksavvy's service and internet there? Is it all the same around Toronto? Or depend on location too?

I really do want to get away from the big red devil =P

Teksavvy is available in most parts of Toronto. The highest max speeds over cable from Rogers (250 Mbps) are not yet available from Teksavvy. But if you are just using your internet for standard stuff (netflix, gaming but not streaming, browsing, etc) you should be fine. Check out www.teksavvy.com and enter your postal code. It will tell you what is available in your area.

LMN

Thanks Willectro and EvilMario =), I just check the website, and I'm thinking of using the Highspeed DSL 25, I usually use internet for watching Youtube, browsing forum (GAF) and playing my PS Vita online (Soul sacrifice is coming out next week, so hype), I hope everything is okay then when I change to Teksavvy.

Anyhow Thanks everyone for the suggestion =) I'm really appreciated ^^

Quadratic

I'm still Hunter Rank 1. Waiting to see if Kraftwerk is planning something but if any prospective Monster Hunters with 3DS' want to meet up for some local Co-op give me some times and boundaries you're comfortable traveling to. I'm thinking maybe a divey bar or a less frequented coffee shop to meet up at. Annex? Since it's midway-ish between east and west end on a subway line. Lets do this! All longsword party hitting each other out of combos :)

EDIT: We can take this to PM's if necessary.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still Hunter Rank 1. Waiting to see if Kraftwerk is planning something but if any prospective Monster Hunters with 3DS' want to meet up for some local Co-op give me some times and boundaries you're comfortable traveling to. I'm thinking maybe a divey bar or a less frequented coffee shop to meet up at. Annex? Since it's midway-ish between east and west end on a subway line. Lets do this! All longsword party hitting each other out of combos :)

EDIT: We can take this to PM's if necessary.
Well, I have the week of May 6th off so that could be a start. I guess we can try to work a meet in-between Leafs playoff games or we can go to a bar and be the nerds into the corner playing games and watching hockey.

Kavey, EM, you guys up for it along with anyone else? If there's enough interest maybe I can make a Monster Hunter Ultimate Leaf fan Unofficial Meet Up V: Kraftwerk X Kave_Man Age of Heroes and Long Swords thread.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Regarding Monhan: Meeting in the Annex is good for me. I don't really have any recommendations about where to meetup though, so I'll leave that up to you guys.

Should we make a thread on Gaming side to attract more Gaming-side only Toronto lurkers that play it, or do we want to keep it the few of us. I guess it depends on how many people we have. If it's more than 4, it's going to be awkward taking turns sitting out.

May 17th and I may actually be able to go......

Oh, is this a monster hunter meet up and not a Toronto-Gaf?

When is the next Toronto-Gaf fest

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I want to give people more time, ergo two weeks lead time. Also to get proper reservations this time.
Bah! More rejections from the Sausage Place!
Regarding Monhan: Meeting in the Annex is good for me. I don't really have any recommendations about where to meetup though, so I'll leave that up to you guys.

Should we make a thread on Gaming side to attract more Gaming-side only Toronto lurkers that play it, or do we want to keep it the few of us. I guess it depends on how many people we have. If it's more than 4, it's going to be awkward taking turns sitting out.
We can have 3 on one and 2 on another spreading that long sword around...man that sounds dirty. :(

Well if you guys want, we can do an early meet up the week I'm off. EM, you can arrange and do the honors! :D

Quadratic

Bah! More rejections from the Sausage Place!

We can have 3 on one and 2 on another spreading that long sword around...man that sounds dirty. :(

Well if you guys want, we can do an early meet up the week I'm off. EM, you can arrange and do the honors! :D

Done. May 10th or 11th? Beer Station (always looks dead in there). 6pm? Just before a leafs game if it's a Saturday. Hopefully there's outlets somewhere because with the 3DS' battery life it might only be an hour of playtime ;)

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Done. May 10th or 11th? Beer Station (always looks dead in there). 6pm? Just before a leafs game if it's a Saturday. Hopefully there's outlets somewhere because with the 3DS' battery life it might only be an hour of playtime ;)
I'm fine with either or even the 4th or 5th as well. Any day is good that week. So it's up to EM, Kavey, and any of you other dirty lurkers...YOU know who you are... >=[

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
We can go with Friday (10th) if that avoids conflict with the Leafs game, but I'd be okay with either. My wife might want to come too, as she is a Monster Hunter as well.

We can go with Friday (10th) if that avoids conflict with the Leafs game, but I'd be okay with either. My wife might want to come too, as she is a Monster Hunter as well.

My wife might be coming with me to the real meetup... not the fake monster hunter one.. they are gonna be seperate right? I could see the MonHun one being pretty boring for people that don't have the game!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
My wife might be coming with me to the real meetup... not the fake monster hunter one.. they are gonna be seperate right? I could see the MonHun one being pretty boring for people that don't have the game!
The 10th is the Monhun one. Krafty will lose his soul at the one after

Top Bottom