• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Boogie

Bought some tickets for Giants vs Jays in a couple of weeks.

Just checked the Jays record after the weekend.

Oh dear.

Who was it in here who said at the beginning of the month that the Jays would finish April with a 10-20 record?

We all chuckled at the time, and yet here we are... :-/

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You'll see next year, EM. Now that he's fixed his vision problems, 8th seed here we come. =D

I don't know how I missed that article, but it's pretty hilarious in hindsight.

Who was it in here who said at the beginning of the month that the Jays would finish April with a 10-20 record?

And I was pretty spot on about my Raptors assessment post trade. I think our prognostication skills qualify us for a show on the FAN590.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
New burger place. Burgers for under $6. Mmmm. Someone visit and tell me how disappointing it is.

http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/tat-burger-toronto

ireYe4oXj01SN.jpg

rinse82

I think it was me.

Along the lines of:

"Hey guys what happens if they're 10-20 after April lulz!"

Oh, my.

Azih

I don't know how I missed that article, but it's pretty hilarious in hindsight.

And I was pretty spot on about my Raptors assessment post trade. I think our prognostication skills qualify us for a show on the FAN590.

So will the new head of MLSE kick Coangelo out?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Everytime I think Colangelo is done, he manages to talk himself into an extension. My guess is he'll get another year. Then of course we'll make it to the 8th seed next year and they'll give him a 5 year extension.

Looking forward to another year of Dwane Casey's rotation. Bwohoho... :(

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Everytime I think Colangelo is done, he manages to talk himself into an extension. My guess is he'll get another year. Then of course we'll make it to the 8th seed next year and they'll give him a 5 year extension.

Looking forward to another year of Dwane Casey's rotation. Bwohoho... :(

I'm hoping with the new guy coming in he's ready to just clean house. And although I know it's a hoop dream I still do hope that he is able to lure Phil Jackson in as the new president of the Raptors. Does Phil really know what he's doing in the front office? Hell if I know but he'll at least for a short time at least start building us towards credibility just with him being here. Heck his influence alone would be enough to potentially land some higher tier free agents that are actually worth a damn.

Raptors are the only team so far that the new ownership (Bell/Rogers) hasn't touched as yet, I'd expect them to make some moves in the front office.

Samyy

Does anyone know a good used game type of place in Mississauga/Toronto
Im trying to find Persona 4 (cant buy things online), but I need to play this game :(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Does anyone know a good used game type of place in Mississauga/Toronto
Im trying to find Persona 4 (cant buy things online), but I need to play this game :(

Check out the OP. A few places listed there in Toronto. Maybe someone else can list a few in Mississauga. Game Centre will do custom orders for you for games, and they shouldn't charge you much more than the $19.99 than P4 is on Amazon.ca

Willectro

Banned
there is no sarcasm in my voice when I say that it is heartening that, in spite of most of our differences, all of Toronto-GAF can come together and declare with one voice that Tim Hudak is a complete douchnozzle when it comes to public policy and Lord help us if he ever comes into any position of any actual power in this province.

He's the best troll in Canada, bar none.

Here's the thing: the laws that were created with "public safety and revenue generation in mind" date back to 1930 and have been systematically and quietly repealed over the last 80 years because they were wacky and overbearing. Want to get alcohol? Hope you have your alcohol license. Bought too much this month? You're cut off by the province. It's taken this long to get to a system that's still inherently broken.

You also still harp on selection like you haven't experienced anything else. You do know that retailers will fill the gap when others won't, right? If the majority of convenience stores stock only the most popular beers, there will also be the stores that strive to be the haven for selection and will make bank based on that. The difference is that the choice is open to literally anyone, not just the government.

In regards to the government, I think the laws that are in place are pretty realistic for a first world country. Alcohol consumption is unfortunately (like it or not) a privilege. Vehicles, firearms, cigarettes, prescription drugs (to a lesser extent), etc, are all somewhat restricted in various ways, but not completely prohibited. I would love to be able to go to a convenience store and get a box of .223, shop around for some new AR's, update my driver's licence, and maybe pick up a prescription or two, but that just ain't going to happen. To that point, look at cannabis. I've heard anecdotes from a police officer that they would rather deal with someone who got high than a drunk. Yet that's still illegal, so yea the legal system isn't perfect. Bars/restaurants unfortunately have to deal with the laws too. The smart serve course I took was pretty eye opening in terms of social issues created by alcohol. Like I said before, I could argue either way on laws, but I would prefer the government err on the side of caution (and maybe generate some revenue to offset the social issues at the same time).

The issue of selection at retailers we could debate infinitely, I think. Increased selection wasn't exactly my experience in the US and Quebec, just larger cans. The current selection at the LCBO/Beer Store suits my needs pretty well. I wish every location was more consistent, but overall I think they do pretty well. You're correct that retailers would no doubt capitalize on the niche market, but I still can't decide about how the prices would fluctuate. The brewers may up their prices and buying power is of course important. Given my poor experiences across many different markets in Toronto, I would hazard a guess that the consumer would get the short end of the stick, at least in terms of price. Letting a free market dictate price isn't always the best course of action.

Quadratic

I'm going to the Mariner/Jays on Friday. Oh lawd, I'm going to get drunk before the 4th inning. Getting to .500 one game at a time.

Brinbe

Ha, I went to both a Mets and Yankee games this post week (Mets on a Thursday 1 PM start/Yanks-Jays on Sat afternoon) and (small sample size, I know) what they've been saying about our crazy Jays crowds are absolutely true, at least compared to my experience in those two other parts.

Just a heck of a lot more drinking, booing/hostility, and hilarity. I'll attribute that to the difference in drinking age, demographics (cross section of emerging young adult pop in Toronto/Jays fans) and perhaps an established baseball culture (fans aren't going down to Yankee stadium primarily to get bombed out of their minds). It's only get worse the more we tank out this season.

Sober

Oh wow, I knew Sara Bareilles was going to be on tour but I didn't expect 1) it started today and 2) the first stop was going to be Toronto. Now I feel a bit dumb missing it. :\

Aright, guys, don't laugh. I'm still stuck on bell.

Was just upgraded to the Sagemcom modem, and now it's randomly cutting out. Any idea what I should do?

Aright, guys, don't laugh. I'm still stuck on bell.

Was just upgraded to the Sagemcom modem, and now it's randomly cutting out. Any idea what I should do?

Mine was cutting out until I turned off the wireless- N and just used G.. I don't know if that is what is causing your problems though

Dyno

The issue of selection at retailers we could debate infinitely, I think. Increased selection wasn't exactly my experience in the US and Quebec, just larger cans. The current selection at the LCBO/Beer Store suits my needs pretty well. I wish every location was more consistent, but overall I think they do pretty well. You're correct that retailers would no doubt capitalize on the niche market, but I still can't decide about how the prices would fluctuate. The brewers may up their prices and buying power is of course important. Given my poor experiences across many different markets in Toronto, I would hazard a guess that the consumer would get the short end of the stick, at least in terms of price. Letting a free market dictate price isn't always the best course of action.

Fun Fact: The LCBO remains the largest liquor purchasing agent on the planet. With that buying power we get an excellent selection. Privatizing sales would see a lot of rare vintages disappear. Maybe in time internet sales can rectify this but online alcohol purchases remains fledgling at best.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Man, it just hit 20 with the sun out and lovely little breeze on the west end. Welcome, Spring. Maybe the High Park cherry blossoms will be out this week.

Magnus

Friends! You may remember I work with Universal Pictures Canada in their Publicity/Promo department. Next round of passes I have (I know the timing's rough due to work schedules):

Fast and the Furious 6
Tuesday May 7th
4:00pm (arrive early, like 3pm, seating isn't guaranteed)
Yonge/Eglinton Silvercity Cineplex

Each pass admits TWO people.
Cell phones checked in at the entrance to the theatre.

Get at me if you'd like a pass for TWO. I have a few left. I'd be able to meet while on the job this Saturday at the Eaton Centre. We'll be coordinating an event there from noon to 3pm walking around with the Minions from Despicable Me 2! Bring your kids to take a photo, lol!

two-eyed-minion-despicabl_4fc7471914643-p.jpg

Brinbe

Tuck it back in you pervert!
Oh, I'm out there, Kave, and I'm loving every minute of it! (seriously, this weather is perfect)

And that sounds awesome, Magnus! I'm iffy if I could wrangle someone else during that time (though I suppose I could split it with another TO-GAFer), otherwise I'd be up for a pass for sure.

Blackhead

Redarse
Friends! You may remember I work with Universal Pictures Canada in their Publicity/Promo department. Next round of passes I have (I know the timing's rough due to work schedules):

Fast and the Furious 6
Tuesday May 7th
4:00pm (arrive early, like 3pm, seating isn't guaranteed)
Yonge/Eglinton Silvercity Cineplex

Each pass admits TWO people.
Cell phones checked in at the entrance to the theatre.

Get at me if you'd like a pass for TWO. I have a few left. I'd be able to meet while on the job this Saturday at the Eaton Centre. We'll be coordinating an event there from noon to 3pm walking around with the Minions from Despicable Me 2! Bring your kids to take a photo, lol!

That's nice of you. Isn't there a mailing list for this?

Anth0ny

Predictions for Leafs/Bruins:

Leafs lose series 4-1. Get blown out in games 1 and 2.

Game 3 in Toronto is close the entire game, Boston wins 1-0. Heartbreaker.

Leafs get the pathetic game 4 win after already being down 3-0 in a series.

Bruins blow us out in Game 5 to advance.

yay :)

Top Bottom