• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazylegs

opticalmace said:
I'm moving to London, ON this fall. I've never been east of Alberta so I have no idea what it's like. Anyone have any recommended links so I can read up about the city? Wikipedia wasn't really that useful. Thanks.

Hey! I'm London ON GAF.

Not sure what exactly you're looking for, but start with http://london.ca, I guess.

I'm assuming you'll be going to school here, perhaps? Anyways, any questions, just ask!

Crazylegs said:
Hey! I'm London ON GAF.

Not sure what exactly you're looking for, but start with http://london.ca, I guess.

I'm assuming you'll be going to school here, perhaps? Anyways, any questions, just ask!
Oh awesome, thanks.

Yeah I'm starting grad school at UWO. Super excited to head out east for the first time.

How is the transit system there? Is it easy to get around town and to school? Are there any areas to avoid when I'm looking for housing? First questions that come to mind. Thanks!

Willectro

Banned
This was on reddit earlier, thought it might interest Toronto-Gaf.

New Subway train:
bWd2d.jpg

Other pics:

Doesn't sound like they are operational yet.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
They've been running test on them for half a year now. Hopefully they'll be rolled out soon. Apparently, the Bloor-Danforth older models will be replaced with the YUS models now. I'll miss those old orange seats.

will52 said:

New Subway train:
[IM G]http://i.imgur.com/bWd2d.jpg[/IMG]

Other pics:
[U RL="http://imgur.com/JlIZm&j9Ngh"]2[/URL]
[U RL="http://imgur.com/JlIZm&j9Nghl"]3[/URL]

Oh wow, we're slowly getting there. Slowly.

Now, if we can get those smartcard passes working. God damn Presto takes forever to phase in.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Firestorm said:
Wait the YUS models aren't old? That's the only line I've ever taken.

They might be old, but not as old. :p

All the trains are pretty similar, but the interiors are vary quite a bit.

Look at these soft seats:

118562264_48ac0675fa.jpg

Firestorm

Roto13 said:
Anyone planing to attend the Toronto Comic Arts Festival at the Toronto Reference Library this weekend? I'm excited about it. Specifically about Chris Ware (Acme Novelty Library, Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth) as a featured guest. A bunch of other great artists/cartoonists are going to be there, like Kate Beaton (Hark! A Vagrant), Dave Kellett (Sheldon), John Campbell (Pictures for Sad Children), and Rick Stevens (Diesel Sweeties). Should be a good time for fans of these kinds of comics.

Free admission is a plus. :p
I might be there on Saturday for a bit. Two of my friends are going to it and I may tag along.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Firestorm said:
I might be there on Saturday for a bit. Two of my friends are going to it and I may tag along.

Make sure to stop by Game Centre (just south of Bloor on Yonge, at the Charles St lights). We'll probably be there too. Maybe I'll bring a 'WELCOME, FIRESTORM' sign.

explodet

Just signed up and was accepted to Autoshare, grabbed my starter package.
Now if only I had somplace to be!

EvilMario said:
Holy shit.

1278677836.png
Hey EM, how're you finding the performance so far? Any hiccups? Been thinking of switching from Rogers to TekSavvy but I think the only thing holding me back is the potential downtime and that whole 250GB to 25GB debacle a few months ago.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I had 20 seconds of down time this morning, and that's been it so far. Compared to the Dry Loop DSL which would die a few times per week off and on, it's been an improvement.

Speeds seem constant, no decreases even during the peak hours. If you don't plan on moving soon, I'd switch over. It cost us around $200.00, including the $99 modem (get the good one) to move over. And they're pro-rating us for the first 10 days of May on DSL, as I asked them to.. just so we didn't have a chance of downtime.

explodet

Hmm, the modem is nice but looks like I'd have to buy a wireless router (cable modem with Rogers has that built in). Still, having to pay almost $150 a month for internet really sucks.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm writing up a second edition to this thread, although I don't imagine it'll be finished until next week. The OP will be filled out a lot more and cleaned up. I'd like to flesh out information about the city, including neighborhoods, what there is to do in the city, and a bit of history.

I'll expand and spruce up the most popular 'where to eat' section as well. And the graphics should be a bit more robust. More information, but less clutter. We'll see if it works.

Recommendations on anything else people would want to see would be appreciated.

EvilMario said:
I'm writing up a second edition to this thread, although I don't imagine it'll be finished until next week. The OP will be filled out a lot more and cleaned up. I'd like to flesh out information about the city, including neighborhoods, what there is to do in the city, and a bit of history.

I'll expand and spruce up the most popular 'where to eat' section as well. And the graphics should be a bit more robust. More information, but less clutter. We'll see if it works.

Recommendations on anything else people would want to see would be appreciated.

Well, you are missing some good places to eat :)

mexican/burritos
Bandidos Burritos, have 2 locations (120 Peter St., 416 593-9191; 362 Bloor St., 416 944-9061)
New York Subway (queen street, near Bathurst). Groundbeef one is the best.

Indian
Gandhi - very good rotis. Butter chicken is really good. 554 Queen St. W, 416 504 8155

Fish & Chips
The One That Got Away - King near Bathurst. I was impressed.

[edit] Oh, i see that Gandhi was listed under general.

Good shawarma sandwhiches and other middle eastern stuff - Nora (Richmond/Spadina) and Ali Baba (sandwhiches mostly i would say, multiple locations).

Flash

crown and dragon is a fantasic wings place. i've been going there for a while now. are there any other wing places you guys recommend checking out?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Soulcatcher said:
Well, you are missing some good places to eat :)

mexican/burritos
Bandidos Burritos, have 2 locations (120 Peter St., 416 593-9191; 362 Bloor St., 416 944-9061)
New York Subway (queen street, near Bathurst). Groundbeef one is the best.

Indian
Gandhi - very good rotis. Butter chicken is really good. 554 Queen St. W, 416 504 8155

Fish & Chips
The One That Got Away - King near Bathurst. I was impressed.

[edit] Oh, i see that Gandhi was listed under general.

Good shawarma sandwhiches and other middle eastern stuff - Nora (Richmond/Spadina) and Ali Baba (sandwhiches mostly i would say, multiple locations).

Thanks for the recommendations. If you want to write up well rounded paragraph on your favorites, be my guess. I'm going to trim the list down quite a bit though to places I either know myself (so I can write on them a bit), or places people have recommended and thus, written up a small piece themselves.

We had lots of recommendations at first, but people would only say they were 'super good', etc. Being able to give us a little insight into a place, what dishes you enjoy, price range, like a mini-review.. is definitely more 'readable'.

hoverX

Crown and Dragon does have some pretty good wings. Probably the best out of all the places that offer a large variety of flavors.

I don't think New York Sub is there any more. The building went under renovation a few weeks back. I don't know if they are reopening or moving or what.

There is also a new 3rd burrito Bandito at Yonge and grosvenor (college).

Also, has anyone heard about the Saints possibly coming to Toronto?
Link

I don't really watch much sports but I fucking love the New Orleans Saints. I'd hate to see them moved. I'd rather have the Jaguars move.

cbox

EvilMario said:
They might be old, but not as old. :p

All the trains are pretty similar, but the interiors are vary quite a bit.

Look at these soft seats:

118562264_48ac0675fa.jpg

The seats are comfy but the train is sooo much louder.

Been living in Toronto for about a week now. Really like it so far, but holy fuck, the drivers are unbelievably bad. Seriously not used to this shit. Absolutely no one shoulder checks.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Buba Big Guns said:
Been living in Toronto for about a week now. Really like it so far, but holy fuck, the drivers are unbelievably bad. Seriously not used to this shit. Absolutely no one shoulder checks.

Avoid driving is possible, transit is not as horrible as it's made out to be, but driving is a thousand times worse than you could imagine. :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Buba Big Guns said:
Takes me almost 2 hours to get to work using the TTC...

Where do you live, and why is it not closer to your job? The myth about renting downtown being incredibly expensive are false. Unless of course you own, then I guess you're stuck.

Personally, even if it took me an hour and a half street car ride, I'd take it over 45 minutes to an hour of driving in the city, dealing with drivers, bikes, parking, construction. And I can sleep on the TTC, or even do work if I must.

Roto13

Speaking of Free Comic Book Day, they're giving away free comics at TCAF from 9 to 10 this morning. And from 10 to 11 tomorrow morning, I believe.

cbox

EvilMario said:
Where do you live, and why is it not closer to your job? The myth about renting downtown being incredibly expensive are false. Unless of course you own, then I guess you're stuck.

Personally, even if it took me an hour and a half street car ride, I'd take it over 45 minutes to an hour of driving in the city, dealing with drivers, bikes, parking, construction. And I can sleep on the TTC, or even do work if I must.
It takes me about an hour and a half to get to wOrk everyday. My office is at yonge/bloor and I live in Mississauga. I've been doing it for a year now and I just put up with it because I refuse to live downtown, just too hectic for me.

Most mornings I get the sleep I missed the previous night, or catch up son some reading, it's not all that bad.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
ConvenientBox said:
It takes me about an hour and a half to get to wOrk everyday. My office is at yonge/bloor and I live in Mississauga. I've been doing it for a year now and I just put up with it because I refuse to live downtown, just too hectic for me.

Most mornings I get the sleep I missed the previous night, or catch up son some reading, it's not all that bad.

GO Train I take it?

will52 said:

New Subway train:

Other pics:

I assume that a lot of the shutdowns and testing have to do with these trains. They are looking good though.

scogoth

Just saw Senna at Hot Docs. Its great film and my first film at that festival. Not quite as wild a crowd as TIFF but very cool none the less.

Firestorm

Just about in Toronto. Gonna be at that comic Thimbu for probably an hour or two.

PS: fuck bell fuck bell fuck bell
Worst company in Canada.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
ConvenientBox said:
Naw one bus to Kipling then subway to yonge, some days I park at Kipling as it really melts away the stress of taking the bus

Mississauga downtown would be much more appealing to me if they either extended the subway to Huontario, or actually push forward with the LRT (Square One to Port Credit GO.. Brampton is just too far for an LRT), with an arm of the LRT splitting off and connecting to Kipling from Dundas.

The project apparently has some funding from MoveOntario 2020, but they can't seem to push forward. What's outlined in the document for MO2020 is basically just what I want:

New Light Rail Transit lines
Dundas Street West Light Rail Transit from Kipling station to Hurontario Street
Hurontario Light Rail Transit from Queen Street in Brampton to Lakeshore Road in Mississauga

I guess the demand is not that high in Mississauga, where people love the car. But as they continue to build condos in the area, the roads are just going to become even more of a nightmare. And Huontario is actually wide enough to support LRTs with right of way.

I enjoy the look of downtown Mississauga and how it's developed.. but it just doesn't have enough life.. or convenient shopping within walking distance (mini marts under condos? meh). And if I can avoid owning a car ever again, I will.

cbox

EvilMario said:
Mississauga downtown would be much more appealing to me if they either extended the subway to Huontario, or actually push forward with the LRT (Square One to Port Credit GO.. Brampton is just too far for an LRT), with an arm of the LRT splitting off and connecting to Kipling from Dundas.

The project apparently has some funding from MoveOntario 2020, but they can't seem to push forward. What's outlined in the document for MO2020 is basically just what I want:

I guess the demand is not that high in Mississauga, where people love the car. But as they continue to build condos in the area, the roads are just going to become even more of a nightmare. And Huontario is actually wide enough to support LRTs with right of way.

I enjoy the look of downtown Mississauga and how it's developed.. but it just doesn't have enough life.. or convenient shopping within walking distance (mini marts under condos? meh). And if I can avoid owning a car ever again, I will.
Itd be awesome to have a lone extend that far though it wouldn't really effect mr as I'm closer to rexdale (Pearson) . We really need a line to or very close to the airport

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
ConvenientBox said:
Itd be awesome to have a lone extend that far though it wouldn't really effect mr as I'm closer to rexdale (Pearson) . We really need a line to or very close to the airport

Is the Eglinton LRT not reaching the airport any longer? I thought the only change was the increased underground portion.

Markster

EvilMario said:
Is the Eglinton LRT not reaching the airport any longer? I thought the only change was the increased underground portion.
Once Transit City got scaled back, the Eglinton line wasn't reaching the airport anymore. (i.e. when they stopped talking about the Don Mills and Jane lines)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Markster said:
Once Transit City got scaled back, the Eglinton line wasn't reaching the airport anymore. (i.e. when they stopped talking about the Don Mills and Jane lines)

Such a disappointment. Transit to and from the airport should be priority for the city. But instead we're receiving the Scarborough extension. lol

DoctorWho said:
I assume that a lot of the shutdowns and testing have to do with these trains. They are looking good though.
Maybe, there's also quite a lot of track repairs and tunnel repairs that seems to be an ongoing issue.

hoverX

EvilMario said:
Don't fret over transit though, our mayor's priority is securing an NFL team within the next 20 years. Yes..
I want this too. I just hope that it isn't the saints. I love them just where they are.

added_time said:
Cherry%20bird2.jpg

Alright nature lovers:
The cherry blossom trees and in full bloom right now at High Park!

The flowers only peak for a week or two so go check it out and relax while you still can!

more info here

I'm right across the road from High Park but sick with the flu. The torture!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom