• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome 2 |OT| I Came, I Saw, I Came

80 is fine.

That's just in the menus to clarify, and it doesn't go that high up with other titles. Think it stays around 60 for Castlevania for example. Might be alright I guess but I can actually hear my fans working which worries me.

I think something is actually wrong with the game in any case, textures look abysmal and there seems to be almost no aliasing being used.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Turn off Vegetation Alpha, it is essentially high-quality transparency anti-aliasing and it kills the frame rate even on a TITAN.

Also, OC the hell out of your CPU if you can.

Turn off Vegetation Alpha, it is essentially high-quality transparency anti-aliasing and it kills the frame rate even on a TITAN.

Also, OC the hell out of your CPU if you can.

Turned it off and I'm getting the exact same framerate within a few degrees.

teepo

32.1fps on Extreme
28.4fps on Extreme w/ DOF (low) & Vegetation Alpha

i7 930 @ 4.2ghz w/ HT
12gb RAM
GTX 760 Super Clock Edition 2gb RAM

demolitio

Besides running like shit, even on extreme settings, I don't find it to look as good as Shogun 2 for some reason either. Not as clean IQ-wise.

I'm hoping it's just a prologue thing because it looks underwhelming especially considering the performance. Hell, I can change settings and get no improvements in performance either.

So far so weird...

214950_2013-09-03_000y1amd.png
Not sure if it shows in the screenshot (posting this from an old laptop with crap 720P resolution) but there's almost no AA. It makes everything look kind of bad, units are still really detailed but other things not quite as much. This is at extreme with everything on except the Haswell optimization.

Gaz_RB

Yeah Shogun def looked and ran better... Was Shogun 2 bad at launch? Cause I didn't play it until a while after it came out and it ran great. This... Not so much.

DRA only works on notebooks when using the Haswell IGP. If you have a half decent discrete GPU I'd expect that to be faster.

I'm using a desktop with a GTX670, the laptop is just what I'm posting this comment on. Just made the comment to state that everything else is at max or turned on except the haswell which I obviously don't have so the game should look much better than it does there.

demolitio

Yeah Shogun def looked and ran better... Was Shogun 2 bad at launch? Cause I didn't play it until a while after it came out and it ran great. This... Not so much.

It wasn't nearly as bad as this and I could run it fine on mostly max settings with 30-45 until the performance patch hit and then I could definitely run it at max settings at 60 FPS.

The patch made a huge difference for a few of my buddies and made a decent difference for me, but the game was at least playable at launch and looked magnificent.

Something just seems off here besides the obvious performance issues.

uf0Fhye.jpg

This thing is taunting me!!

Getting ~55fps average at the benchmark, with highs in the +100s and as low as ~35fps during the last battle pan, but mostly 50-60fps.

Haven't tried anything but the benchmark and I would assume the actual game and battles would be more demanding.

Running on a 3570k @4.5GHz and a factory OC'ed GTX 670.

These are the settings I was using (when I tried everything on Ultra/on the framerate would drop to the single digits)

I'm honestly not sure if the game's graphics are actually as bad as they look(obviously via bugs or what have you) or if the IQ is just so buggered that it's making everything look terrible. Did check the logs in appdata to see if the auto-downgrade system they used for Shogun 2 might be bugging out but they're clear aside from one crash error.

cripterion

SLI not even working as of now, my second card is used at 9% while the first card 99%. And to me Shogun 2 looks as good but running flawlessly at 1080p. Oh Creative Assembly...

demolitio

I'm honestly not sure if the game's graphics are actually as bad as they look(obviously via bugs or what have you) or if the IQ is just so buggered that it's making everything look terrible. Did check the logs in appdata to see if the auto-downgrade system they used for Shogun 2 might be bugging out but they're clear aside from one crash error.

Yea, I personally think it's IQ right now that's really hurting the experience.

With that being said, I fucking love this era and it's the TW game of my dreams once they fix this shit. Of course, I haven't been able to play too much and I know there will be problems or negatives along the way, but the era is just too damn good!

Almighty

Well something is fucked up with the game or my system. First the game looks like ass worse then Shogun 2 and second all the shadows are too damn dark for me. They are almost pitch black so I can't see anything in shadow. It goes from all lit up normally in sunlight to as dark as the night during a new moon in any shadow.

Hopefully this is a bug that will be fixed and not just my card not being up to the task. I am fearing it is the latter though right now.

During the prologue gpu utilization is like 50% when the camera is zoomed in and fps drops to around 30, then as soon as i zoom the camera back out it goes up to 75% and fps hits about 45-50's

Also there are no shadows at all despite shadows being on high

Another example of the general blurriness and poor iq, the trees and troop armor in particular although it's not as extreme as when it's zoomed out. The benchmark itself looked great aside from some minor aliasing, but something is obviously wrong with the actual battles.

Edit: It's obviously not clear given it's a screenshot but the trees are shimmering and this is all running about 20 FPS at that zoomed in range.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Eh, I'm not worrying about the graphics atm. Just keeping everything on High. It looks pretty ugly, but I'm getting good frames on my 560ti so I can't complain.

The-Bean

Another example of the general blurriness and poor iq, the trees and troop armor in particular although it's not as extreme as when it's zoomed out. The benchmark itself looked great aside from some minor aliasing, but something is obviously wrong with the actual battles.

Edit: It's obviously not clear given it's a screenshot but the trees are shimmering and this is all running about 20 FPS at that zoomed in range.

What's with the orange filter? Makes it look awful, this looks much better IMO:

demolitio

Maybe its the "vignette" option?

No, I have vignette off and it's still like that. In one of the videos, they said they have different colors for the different regions to make it feel like that part of the world so the northern territories will have a more bluish tint to them.

isual

not impressed graphically. looks all brown.

shogun 2 is still the best.

played a custom game to see all the units, apparently ends at the praetorian guard for the romans.

KorrZ

I'm getting absolutely terrible performance. I hope they release a patch real soon, there is no reason I should need to drop down to high settings just to get 30 FPS. This is just bad optimization :\.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The frame drops on the campaign map are awful. I'm locking my framerate at 30 fps, and the map stays around there. As soon as I select a unit, it drops to 12 fps. What is going on with that?

Shogun was a disaster at launch, took about 6 months for the dx11 patch to add terrible post fx AA to the game, the shadows were a dithered mess and the fire effects looked shockingly low precision.

CA are a shit tier developer that sell beta software.

Oh and I forgot to add, game runs like shit.

Can you degrade your titans by running at a standard 1080P and see if it looks as poor as the screenshots I've posted? I mean there just really is seemingly no AA being used, image is washed out, runs terribly, and so on.

Just got to the campaign map and it lags to about 45 FPS in movement and holds at about 52 when still.

Sethos

Banned
Can you degrade your titans by running at a standard 1080P and see if it looks as poor as the screenshots I've posted? I mean there just really is seemingly no AA being used, image is washed out, runs terribly, and so on.

Just got to the campaign map and it lags to about 45 FPS in movement and holds at about 52 when still.

I get a BSOD with the error 000000xLOLstahpsethos when running at anything below native :(

RulkezX

I never know reading these threads if its just PCGAF and your massively high standards or if the games are actually shit.

Can't play this until I get home at 5bst :( I never had any real problems with Shogun 2 at launch , so hopefully my low standards will be met.

vazel

Banned
fuck me this unpack is taking so long.
Mine's been going for over an hour. It's a 5400RPM Samsung 2TB HD204UI. I've never had unpack times this long on any other Steam pre-load(last ones being Bioshock Infinite and Dishonored).

Edit: It finally finished just as I submitted this post! Off to play finally!

Addnan

I never know reading these threads if its just PCGAF and your massively high standards or if the games are actually shit.

Can't play this until I get home at 5bst :( I never had any real problems with Shogun 2 at launch , so hopefully my low standards will be met.
It's a mix of both. If you are happy with lower quality then the game is fine, runs great. Like Sethos if you have a 3930K and double Titans its kinda expected that no game should stand in its way.

Loomba

I'm the same, as long as it looks decent and doesn't run like a snail then I am happy.

Pinktaco

I have Low standards as well and tbh it has been running fine, however it do suddenly just drop on the campaign map every once in a while

Sethos

Banned
All the claims about the AI problems seem to be pretty much accurate. Me and my friend played 4 custom multiplayer battles, two land, a naval and port assault. In every single one of them the AI pulled some pretty herp-derp moves.

Worst one was during the port assault and we defended. We agreed just to do land troops and have them attack us in the city. I accidentally picked two ships in my line-up, so I decided to just park them near the city for backup.

We took out their tiny attacking force with 6 million siege towers ( give or take ) and then their 20+ ships just sat outside the town, after 15 minutes we tried to walk up to 'em and fire some flaming arrows etc. where we sunk a ship or two ... Still nothing.

Then my friend mentioned the ships, they probably won't attack with my ships on the ocean. So I ran them up there, they killed one or two of his, they got blasted and BOOM! His landing started. So the AI will just sit around until you zerg your ships, because they won't chase them.

Stupid.

Top Bottom