• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome 2 |OT| I Came, I Saw, I Came

taoofjord

They clearly did not include the highest resolution textures we've been seeing in all the screens in the final version. I'm assuming they'll come post launch due to optimization issues. Regardless... They should have told us. And AA setting is only on/off. On isn't nearly high enough to be worthwhile in a game where you are typically looking at objects that are far away.

Also, the game looks nowhere near as good as the official screenshots. I knew they were bullshots, but the difference is substantial.

Loris146

They clearly did not include the highest resolution textures we've been seeing in all the screens in the final version. I'm assuming they'll come post launch due to optimization issues. Regardless... They should have told us. And AAA setting is only on/off. On isn't nearly high enough to be worthwhile in a game where you are typically looking at objects that are far away.

Also, the game looks nowhere near as good as the official screenshots. I knew they were bull shots, but the difference is substantial.

Agree and the perfomances are horrible.

panda21

playing the pro-log and having an ewesome time. I'm a total war newbie though so that doesnt say much.

the GFX are clearly downgraded from the promo mats unless theres just some major pop in going on. troops and stuff look awful up close even on extreme.

cripterion

They clearly did not include the highest resolution textures we've been seeing in all the screens in the final version. I'm assuming they'll come post launch due to optimization issues. Regardless... They should have told us. And AAA setting is only on/off. On isn't nearly high enough to be worthwhile in a game where you are typically looking at objects that are far away.

Also, the game looks nowhere near as good as the official screenshots. I knew they were bull shots, but the difference is substantial.

Yup that's pretty much exact. What's funny is that the game seemed to be running fine when shown by CA and played on modest settings. How can retail versions be worse than beta/older builds? Especially when it doesn't have all the eye candy in it?

I ran Shogun 2 just to make sure and got an average of 125fps @1080P on max settings for what seems like better visuals overall...

Facism

haha oh wow loaded a save from the prologue where you merge your forces with the fleet, but my forces don't have enough action to merge so the game gets stuck and won't let you do anything.

I ran Shogun 2 just to make sure and got an average of 125fps @1080P on max settings for what seems like better visuals overall...

Yeah. Im running 1080p with mostly very high, and the graphics to me looks worse than Shogun 2. I feel its a combination of sluggish map performance and some hits. when I zoom in during battles I see the fps drops.

as for the game: Not really sure yet. I feel its annoying I cant make armies without generals. and since I cant have men by themselves in my towns, i have only a single army to micro manage everywhere. what makes it more annoying that right from the getgo I am facing enemies with dual armies who dwarfs mine despite its ultimate size.

In the other games I could just make endless armies of whatever I wanted, and then sometimes a potential general would pop up. not here.. :/

also, why did they remove the family tree? I dislike these general portraits as well. (playing Scubi). I liked the family tree as it made you connect more with your characters.

I love the faster fights though. More action packed and impressive looking.

DrBo42

Yeah the graphics are really underwhelming despite whatever setting you select. Performance is awful. I'm wondering what they were doing the last few months instead of optimization.

Inversive

I found one of the causes for my fps stutters on the campaign map is the cursor being held over a hostile army/town/fleet but there's literally zero reasons why this should cause a 50 frame drop in fps...all that happens in a small red circle appears showing their radius of influence.
A few other little niggles are that the AI will attack my town with puny armies/fleets that get autoresolved crushed by the far more numerous garrisons and I saw the AI in Massilia having a full stack army of slingers, I hope this is an isolated case as modders needed to fix AI army balance in Shogun 2 (too many archers).

cripterion

Wow oh wow. The game won't launch anymore now, it just crashes as soon as I press play in their launcher.

After 5 crashes in a row finally got inside the game. Hope it will be stable, I have yet to try the campaign...

EDIT : Crash as soon as there is movement on the campaign map. Goddamn it.

Giran

Man, this new UI is all kinds of bad. Quite a disappointment after Shogun 2's excellent one. Also, my texture settings are on the highest but the unit textures still look like ass. I don't know what's up with that.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I agree the graphics (in some areas) are underwhelming. Still feel the water/sky/that kind of stuff looks great.

Performance is not an issue for me. I get ~25-30 on fully maxed out, which is in line with what I expect from my specs. Bump down a few choice things and I maintain ~45 which is fine with me.

Can't speak to the game itself yet.

How do you disembark a single unit from an army? Feel I'm missing something obvious.

I've only played the prologue but from what I've understood units can only be commanded by generals so if you want to move a even a single unit you'll need a general to do so.

This is a major since since previous TWs.

How do you disembark a single unit from an army? Feel I'm missing something obvious.

This is driving me nuts. I just wanna place a few soldiers in each of my provinces! Goddammit I can't have my generals be idle so much!

Also my success rate with scouts/champions are all over the map. Even with 80-95% certainty their action fails. Someone screwed up some algohiritims

Also.. The map turn time. Jesus Christ. Not a good first impression for me but I might just not get it.

I also agree the naval change is great . I also am confused by UI

SparkTR

runs like shit on my 760 and OCi5 :( it's not fair

Well, expectations are relative, I'm keeping around 35-45fps the majority of the time on my aging card and running better than Shogun 2 is so I'm happy.

Settings and frames?

Edit: I feel like we should have an official performance thread.

I did a bit of tweaking, kept my shadows to 'Very high', turned off SSAO, 'vegetation alpha' and kept DoF to low. Everything else is between ultra and Extreme, but mostly ultra.

I've only played the prologue but from what I've understood units can only be commanded by generals so if you want to move a even a single unit you'll need a general to do so.

This is a major since since previous TWs.

That's right, was asking specifically because I wanted to remove my veteran from the army so he could return to his business but I suppose he doesn't have the same ranking as a general and still acts as any other unit in that way.

tmespe

This post on the official forum seems to indicate that the performance issues might be a driver problem as I suspected, at least on Nvidia hardware. Hopefully we'll get an updated driver soon.

Merino

Really none of this is unexpected seeing as it's a TW/CA game.

Empire was even worse at launch.

Wait for patches/mods, it's been the same thing ever since the original rome.

Really none of this is unexpected seeing as it's a TW/CA game.

Empire was even worse at launch.

Wait for patches/mods, it's been the same thing ever since the original rome.

Yuuuuuuuuup.... You people do it to yourselves.

Although all of this TW talk has kind of made me want to reinstall Shogun 2. Surely that one is about finished now.

Can we get some more impressions from people with somewhat aging rigs? I haven't installed yet and wonder if I should wait for a patch. For reference I have an overclocked Core 2 Q6600, 8 gigs RAM, a 7200 hdd, and a Radeon 4870 1GB. Hoping to get around 30 fps on 1600x1200 using medium-ish settings.

Seems most complaints/disappointment so far are from people expecting a 1080p/Ultra experience on newer cards.

Looks like a winter sale worthy title. Should give the devs enough time to fix a lot of the issues. Performance is honestly unacceptable to me at this time.

Bummer, completed the campaign tutorial thing and after the siege it called my clear victory a close defeat, put me at the main menu, had only the prologue unlocked, and didn't give me the achievements for finishing it. Booooo!

Can someone upload this file " manifest.txt" ?You cand find on C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War Rome II\data\)

The missing of this files are causing CTD for many users. Someone that playing can help please? It is just a txt file.

Martian

Whoops, this game runs really bad on my laptop. Should have known, but I hope they will patch a few things so it makes it a bit more playable

Hystzen

I wonder with this game being scale able for different specs maybe its detection system is borked. Might be best tweaking the preferences file yourself and overriding settings.

Can someone upload this file " manifest.txt" ?You cand find on C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War Rome II\data\)

The missing of this files are causing CTD for many users. Someone that playing can help please? It is just a txt file.

If it is a txt file, someone can just copy and paste the contents, and you could create one yourself I would think (I do not have the game yet so don't look to me, sorry).

IvorB

Okay this is disappointing. I was really hyped for this game, even to the point of bootcamping my MacBook Pro so I could run it. But reading all these comments seems to indicate it's a buggy mess that is still in need of QA. No matter how much I want to play something I can't support developers who take the p*ss with buggy code and for that reason I'm out.

Hystzen

Okay this is disappointing. I was really hyped for this game, even to the point of bootcamping my MacBook Pro so I could run it. But reading all these comments seems to indicate it's a buggy mess that is still in need of QA. No matter how much I want to play something I can't support developers who take the p*ss with buggy code and for that reason I'm out.

never experienced a Total War game at launch before huh?

it always rough at start then patches clean it up

Martian

Yeah the bugs are always a factor. Heck Empire sucked before the patches. This isnt even the worst of launches for CA, so wait a week or so before judging the game finally

Check back for winter sale. Should have some extra DLC too.

If it is still worse then previous games by then, well, I don't know what to tell you then...

OK, I'm out.

Not only do the developers need more time to fix bugs, but they also need to work on clearer tutorials for those of use not au fait with Total War games.

Top Bottom