• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome 2 |OT| I Came, I Saw, I Came

Loomba

35 minutes now, not even halfway.

I got up 40 minutes before I normal on a work day to play a skirmish because steam told me I could play it immediately.

Completed the install then I needed to leave! Least it will be ready for tonight.

Inversive

Whats with the shitty campaign map performance? My frames go from 13 (!!?!?!) to 60 WITHOUT even moving the fucking camera!

i5 3570k OC to 4.4ghz
GTX760
8GB ram

This game is just not optimised. At all.

isual

OK. I'm playing the prologue campaign, and one thing i am loving:

you can upgrade units to the next tier (i.e. hastiti to legionaries to veterans)

well done CA, you did SOMETHING RIGHT

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I'm in the Prologue and have control of Salernum. Optional objective is take another town using ships - how do I create a fleet do this?

I have a Shipwright capable of building ships, but I go to the Raise Forces menu and there's no option to create a fleet. Any ideas?

diamount

Banned
Anyone who ordered from Amazon UK received their pre-order code yet? It's not a major issue for me as I plan to play Rome first but it's a tad annoying nonetheless.

F!ReW!Re

I'm in the Prologue and have control of Salernum. Optional objective is take another town using ships - how do I create a fleet do this?

I have a Shipwright capable of building ships, but I go to the Raise Forces menu and there's no option to create a fleet. Any ideas?

You don't need to build ships anymore to transport units, when an army reaches water it just transforms into a fleet.

Sethos

Banned
May be a good change from a gameplay perspective(I can't judge), but seeing an army regiment becoming a fleet sounds pretty weird.

It's on the campaign map, you have towns the size of countries, 300ft tall soldiers, 6 months going by in a second, armies counting 2000 men strong seen as a single soldier - Don't see why one of the representative army icons turning into a boat is weird.

FACE

Banned
It's on the campaign map, you have towns the size of countries, 300ft tall soldiers, 6 months going by in a second, armies counting 2000 men strong seen as a single soldier - Don't see why one of the representative army icons turning into a boat is weird.

Makes more sense. For whatever reason I was thinking it happened in the battle map.

F!ReW!Re

May be a good change from a gameplay perspective(I can't judge), but seeing an army regiment becoming a fleet sounds pretty weird.

It's a great change IMO. Hated that I had to build up a large fleet to transport my main army off of Shikoku...

Sethos

Banned
Makes more sense. For whatever reason I was thinking it happened in the battle map.

This is how it looks

untitled-1crsfj.gif

Sibylus

Banned
Big banners have a size slider and can be made contextual (ie won't obstruct most of the screen). Praise the lawd.

DrBo42

Whats with the shitty campaign map performance? My frames go from 13 (!!?!?!) to 60 WITHOUT even moving the fucking camera!

i5 3570k OC to 4.4ghz
GTX760
8GB ram

This game is just not optimised. At all.

My 650M will fall this day... Fucking hell.

Lingitiz

Turned down shadows to very high and things have gotten a bit smoother. The huge FPS drops are still unacceptable, especially those in the campaign map.

Game seems to be doing well as expected. 65k concurrent players and rising.

So for those of you who've completed the tutorial, what am I supposed to do after destroying the siege weapons? At first, I sent my men across the river, where the game sort-of-hinted, but the mission was failed by the time they arrived on the other side. The second time around, I didn't cross the river, but instead attacked the waiting army. I decimated them all in no time, but still failed.

Also, is anyone else experiencing UI oddness? When dragging out a formation, the first click should be the front left corner, but sometimes it's the right corner for me, weird.

Finally, occasionally my troops don't obey formation orders and will only ever want to all stand in a single line, no matter how many times I tell them to arrange themselves in three lines, with range troops at the rear.

So I played some Rome II, closed it to make some dinner, try to open it again and it's going through another unpacking phase, 15 mins to go.

I've never had this happen with a game before. wtf is going on.

Azulsky

Not really gonna have time to play until after work but I messed with graphical settings and ran the benchmark.

avg 45.1 fps @ 1200p on full everything with a 780. Definitely looks gorgeous and I'm way more tolerant of lower framerate on a rts game than a shooter. Will have to see how it pans out in the campaign.

I notice it wont let me select DRA(Direct Rendering Access) on the graphical settings and I am running a 4770k, anyone else having this problem?

Twinduct

Oooo no idea if that was mentioned, but you can directly jump back into the campaign from the launcher!

Skipping everything (Logos, Main menu etc) except a single art load!

Kidna awesome!

After having played the prologue here's a few changes I noticed from previous Total War games:

• Land armies can set sail and break port sieges without having a ship in port.
  • You can't munster armies without generals.
  • There are a lot more rebels and I couldn't grasp how to effectively reduce unrest in cities. Rebel armies got crushed easily by city levies though.
  • The UI during battles is more intrusive and bloated.
  • Generals have stances in the campaign map that affects your movement range and upkeep.

Performance seemed worse if compared to Shogun 2. I'm playing at 1440x900 with everything on High (except unit details at Ultra) on a 7850 and i5 3750k @3.4GHZ with 45~ fps average with benchmark but during actual gameplays it stabilizes at 30~ with small armies.

Later I'm gonna tackle some campaign and maybe some multi.

Pinktaco

Need some gaf advice here..

SO a friend of mine, who is also playing Rome, was worried. His CPU ran at 70 degrees celsius.

So I figured I would check on my on and I realised that in a battle (roughly 2000 vs 3000 units) my own I5 760 would run as high a 90 degrees !!

I used 3 different programs to make sure. I took the side of my case (a decent antec case if I'm not mistakening) and all fans were running as they should and the inside of the case wasn't hot at all - I figured it would be with those temperatures. My GPU (gtx 580) was btw at 44 degrees.

The strange thing his that only two of the cores were at 70% load and 2 of them at roughly 50%. At those temperatures I just figured it would've been much higher.

I've just quit the game and it now runs at 38-42 degree.

It's just that.. I've had this CPU for 2-3 years. Played Medieval 2, Empire and shogun 2 along with other games on it. Never has it crashed on me, or run slow or anything really.
I've never had any issues and while playing Rome 2 in the battle I checked I didn't have any issues either. It all runs smooth.

So yeah.. It just baffles me. At 90 degrees celcius shouldn't the pc slow down and be quite hot inside?

Or maybe the sensor is just thermal broken lol ._.

Herne

Playing as Carthage and nobody - nobody - will trade with me. Not even my protectorates. The Etruscan League won't ally despite us both being at war with Carthage... damn even on normal this is much harder than I expected.

Pinktaco

After having played the prologue here's a few changes I noticed from previous Total War games:

• Land armies can set sail and break port sieges without having a ship in port.
  • You can't munster armies without generals.

[*]There are a lot more rebels and I couldn't grasp how to effectively reduce unrest in cities. Rebel armies got crushed easily by city levies though.
  • The UI during battles is more intrusive and bloated.
  • Generals have stances in the campaign map that affects your movement range and upkeep.

Performance seemed worse if compared to Shogun 2. I'm playing at 1440x900 with everything on High (except unit details at Ultra) on a 7850 and i5 3750k @3.4GHZ.

Later I'm gonna tackle some campaign and maybe some multi.

There's a civil technology (really not far into one of the trees) that'll let you buy an agent to help you lower unrest. Also remove tax from specific regions and have guards stationed there.

After a couple of rounds you should be fine. Always remove tax if they aren't eactly thrilled about you and bump it up once they acknowledge you.

Also remember if it's a different culture I believe you have to destroy their current buildings and build buildings from YOUR culture (although I'm a bit uncertain of this).

Top Bottom