• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome 2 |OT| I Came, I Saw, I Came

isual

Finally started switching from Hastati to Legionaries. Now we're getting somewhere! Praetorians must just be Terminators. Syracuse has been the hard point so far, I lost 3 armies to them.

I have praetorians, but somehow I only want ONE in my legions, while the rest are veteran legionaires and ONE first cohort.

makes it realistic for me somehow. also, roman heavy infantry TIRES EASILY

Martian

Question to all the people playing on low settings: Compared to Shogun 2: how are the loading times?
For me it's a lot faster (even than Empire actually), but because I hear that on higher settings it's lower I wonder what CA did.

It looks like everything runs worse than Shogun 2 on every system except lower ones (patches may fix this of course)

Kainazzo

DAMN! 3 Armies?

Why didn't you just reload?

I usually do reload, but this time I want to see if I can still win with some otherwise unacceptable losses. Syracuse was loaded with hoplites and I was undermanned. They had over 3000 men when my combined forces were ~2200, and they overwhelmed me on Sicily. Lost two armies, then sent the last one in to clean up, only that didn't happen. In one turn the AI moved from Syracuse to Lilybaeum, took it, then moved BACK to Syracuse and replenished everything I'd done. That's a whack amount of movement, something was fishy there. Finally conquered them with three new armies in a combined assault. Everyone else in the game before or since has been a pushover.

If militia hoplites were that tough, I'm glad I'm not fighting Greece. Even when sandwiched between three hastati they didn't break easily.
I have praetorians, but somehow I only want ONE in my legions, while the rest are veteran legionaires and ONE first cohort.

makes it realistic for me somehow. also, roman heavy infantry TIRES EASILY

So you're saying you're not limited in how many praetorians you can recruit? Excellent.

isual

I usually do reload, but this time I want to see if I can still win with some otherwise unacceptable losses. Syracuse was loaded with hoplites and I was undermanned. They had over 3000 men when my combined forces were ~2200, and they overwhelmed me on Sicily. Lost two armies, then sent the last one in to clean up, only that didn't happen. In one turn the AI moved from Syracuse to Lilybaeum, took it, then moved BACK to Syracuse and replenished everything I'd done. That's a whack amount of movement, something was fishy there. Finally conquered them with three new armies in a combined assault. Everyone else in the game before or since has been a pushover.

If militia hoplites were that tough, I'm glad I'm not fighting Greece. Even when sandwiched between three hastati they didn't break easily.

So you're saying you're not limited in how many praetorians you can recruit? Excellent.
yeah...but...it just looks so weird that an entire legion is compromised of praetorians...

Pinktaco

Question to all the people playing on low settings: Compared to Shogun 2: how are the loading times?
For me it's a lot faster (even than Empire actually), but because I hear that on higher settings it's lower I wonder what CA did.

It looks like everything runs worse than Shogun 2 on every system except lower ones (patches may fix this of course)

Loading to battles is super fast for me compared to other games (Higher settings) :p

isual

Ah, and if I may ask for a spoiler: has anything been found in the giant desert/tundra, or are they truly just wastelands?

if you mean south of Africa, just wastelands and attrition. Worthy to take the southern lands first if you're Rome so you can focus your might to either west europe or the greeks to the east

Lingitiz

Got a good 4 hour session in tonight. Restarted my campaign over twice since I was still getting used to some of the changes. Overall, bugs aside, I'm enjoying the changes and they do lend to a different feeling game overall.

Everything feels a bit too easy though (normal). Can game difficulty be changed in mid campaign? Battle times also feel a bit quick, although that's probably related to the difficulty.

Garibaldi

was messing with this just now...seems like unless I have Unlimited vram checked, the other settings don't change anything

unlimited vram off - http://abload.de/img/rome22013-09-0318-35-5xbx1.png
unlimited vram on - http://abload.de/img/rome22013-09-0318-35-n2y8a.png

everything else on ultra/extreme

If you go to the log files (I'm not on my home pc but on WIndows 7 it should be at %APPDATA%/Roaming/The Creative Assembly\Rome2\logs) there is a gfx log file. If you set the settings too high for your VRAM the first thing it does is reduce the shadows and the texture quality (going by my log anyways). Hence why most people's games look like shit. Setting the unlimited VRAM checkbox disables this feature I think. It's probably best to tweak your setting with unlimited enabled so that you know the engine isn't downgrading you.

Yes it loads much faster than Empire or Shogun for me.

Got a good 4 hour session in tonight. Restarted my campaign over twice since I was still getting used to some of the changes. Overall, bugs aside, I'm enjoying the changes and they do lend to a different feeling game overall.

Everything feels a bit too easy though (normal). Can game difficulty be changed in mid campaign? Battle times also feel a bit quick, although that's probably related to the difficulty.
So it's perfectly natural to restart campaign is a Total War game?

Lingitiz

So it's perfectly natural to restart campaign is a Total War game?

Sure, especially since this game has a lot more structural changes with the way cities and armies are handled. It's natural to be overwhelmed at first, but part of the fun for me is learning and doing things better the next time around.

Even in past games after I had finished the campaign, I'd still restart sometimes because I would back myself into a corner early on, or make some really stupid decisions.

cripterion

Haha the Geforce experience profile came up and what a a laugh at the recommended settings : It's low/off for all of them except water, sky, trees, textures and terrain on medium + the unlimited memory on.

Provided I don't have the top of the line pc but if that's what it takes to play on an i5 3570K @4.2ghz, 16GB ram and GTX670 SLI I can only imagine they would recommend ultra/extreme settings on NASA computers only.

Interestingly enough, yesterday I deactivated my 2nd screen and closed firefox while playing and game stopped crashing, my ultra/extreme settings took effect and the game became fluid (it's still dips in huge meaty battles). It's kinda baffling that for this type of game CA still doesn't have proper support for SLI, multimonitor configs out of the box, especially since they've been pimping out they're "largest screen ever!" throughout months prior to the release.

F495748BB01660872F63A3612AD3E45E1C4F3F0E
F3A9D27C68FD73768FFB92A6E2309B953FE40FB9

Sethos

Banned
You have got to be shitting me. On the campaign map, it's pushing my Titan well beyond 70* which is throttling territory - Goes to like 73* before it really settles. The most demanding games I play today don't even get it up there ...

What the fuck.

F!ReW!Re

So was able to finish the prologue yesterday + start a campaign as the Iceni.

Prologue was pretty good, even though the hand-holding gets annoying (but that's why it's a tutorial).
I must say I'm really pleased with the maps I've played on. Most look absolutely gorgeous and the layout / diversity within a map is great IMO.
Especially the battlefields I've seen in Britain have been great!

Game doesn't run that good but most people in here have already addressed this issue.
The AI is just plain stupid (what a surprise) and all of the battles have been cake walks.
I would send in my slingers to unload all of their ammo on the enemy and they just sit there and get hammered.
If the AI finally decides to send in Units, you just send in the Spear/Sword infantry and watch the massacre.
The AI keeps sending 1 or 2 stacked armies to my towns/cities and I would just auto resolve those battles.

Anyway started my first campaign as Iceni (Love the barbarians look and fighting style) and I'll probably do a campaign as Sparta after this.
Had a fun time "liberating" the rest of Great Britain last night, even though it was easy, it's still fun play some battles where you are vastly outnumbered but manage to pull through with minimal loses;
Had a single inexperienced sword band kill 524 units in a single battle. They had like 40 survivors after the battle and they started with 160 men in that single unit so it seems like a good deal :)

I'm loving some of the new additions though:
- Able to rename your armies + select banners + select traits/traditions that stay with the army
- Armies automatically change to transport ships once they hit water
- The different army stances
- The recruitment while not in a city.

The only thing I found really annoying was that most of my provinces have a very low public order rating.
I don't understand why upgrading your city/buildings give you so much squalor (public order penalty), like I have 4 buildings ready for upgrades but each of the upgrades will give me a -6 to public order PER TURN.
I mean why? It's just annoying and it forces me to keep the province bonuses on that "bread and games" mode where it will increase public order/happiness.

I have been having fun though, that's the important part right? :)

Sibylus

Banned
You have got to be shitting me. On the campaign map, it's pushing my Titan well beyond 70* which is throttling territory - Goes to like 73* before it really settles. The most demanding games I play today don't even get it up there ...

What the fuck.
Edward Snowden somehow found his way inside your computer enclosure, and now he's leaking all your memory.

cripterion

What the fuck.

My GTX670 is at the same temps as well. The 2nd one is sitting at 40 with 7 to 9% usage.
If anything this game made me realize the 2GB on my cards won't be enough to help me go through next gen titles if R2TW is any indication.

So was able to finish the prologue yesterday + start a campaign as the Iceni.

Prologue was pretty good, even though the hand-holding gets annoying (but that's why it's a tutorial).
I must say I'm really pleased with the maps I've played on. Most look absolutely gorgeous and the layout / diversity within a map is great IMO.
Especially the battlefields I've seen in Britain have been great!

Game doesn't run that good but most people in here have already addressed this issue.
The AI is just plain stupid (what a surprise) and all of the battles have been cake walks.
I would send in my slingers to unload all of their ammo on the enemy and they just sit there and get hammered.
If the AI finally decides to send in Units, you just send in the Spear/Sword infantry and watch the massacre.
The AI keeps sending 1 or 2 stacked armies to my towns/cities and I would just auto resolve those battles.

So far on my Gaul Campaign I've only witnessed the lonely hero attacking my town.
The AI has been decent in the battlemap but in the campaign map it's just plain dumb. And while it's a nice having a feature where you can point out a target for your allies to focus on would be good if it works, I've played like 20 turns after doing so and they sit idle next to their town (with large numbers) and won't even come and help when I siege lol

LTWheels

Christ this runs terrible compared to Shogun 2. On low I'm only getting 15-20fps. Whilst in Shogun I can get a healthy framerate on medium/high.

Gonna have to wait until I either upgrade my PC or it's patched. A shame.

Sethos

Banned
If anything this game made me realize the 2GB on my cards won't be enough to help me go through next gen titles if R2TW is any indication.

Oh promise me you won't base anything off of this unoptimized junk. It's an indicator of nothing, except shoddy developers.

Addnan

What the fuck.

Pushes my CPU to about 73. Prime95 gets it to about 64. That's intel burn test territory. GPU get a little warmer than normal too, around 68. Usually games get it to about 60 at most.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Yo so does anyone have a solution for slavery unhappiness? I won a bunch of battles and just hit enslave captured people, and then three turns later Rome is getting -35 unhappiness a turn and a slave revolt every 3 turns. It was straight up bullshit. Is it better to just not enslave at all? My Rome has basically been stuck in a never ending unhappiness cycle even after ending 4 slave revolts, thirty to forty years of no growth because of this shit.

Raytow

Oh promise me you won't base anything off of this unoptimized junk. It's an indicator of nothing, except shoddy developers.
Hear, hear.
Better to buy CA games a year or two after, bug squashed, modders fixing the gameplay, and perhaps some optimization(Shogun II still takes a year to load) as well.

cripterion

Not going to take the plunge now cause I don't want to switch to AMD but when Maxwell cards are out, I'm in!

Anyways, anyone try the Arverni campagin yet? It's considered hard.
You start off with one ally and 3 or 4 ennemies after pretty much 8 turns. I'm trading with Massilia to boost my economy but time to time I have shortages of food. Been spending way too much money trying to assassinate my ennemies left and right (3 fails in a row with 85% chance...). I managed to to take Tolosa with a handful of troops well armed troops with lots of xp, our ennemies had 3 times our numbers. I kinda want the town north west of it but they have a massive armies idling in front of town.
My ally is worthless, he just sits there, I haven't seen him get into a fight yet :(

F!ReW!Re

Yo so does anyone have a solution for slavery unhappiness? I won a bunch of battles and just hit enslave captured people, and then three turns later Rome is getting -35 unhappiness a turn and a slave revolt every 3 turns. It was straight up bullshit. Is it better to just not enslave at all? My Rome has basically been stuck in a never ending unhappiness cycle even after ending 4 slave revolts, thirty to forty years of no growth because of this shit.

Guess it's better to either release them or execute all of them.
I haven't found a screen where this whole slave situation gets measured or where you have a explanation about the current number of slaves / public disorder you get from the amount you have at that moment + maximum amount of slaves??

Like I said in my post a couple posts up I'm having problems with public disorder as well (playing as Iceni) and having occupied the whole of britain, my whole southern province is having a major penalty for public order.
Weird thing is; all the buildings that are ready for upgrades are gonna cost me -6 to public order PER TURN. WTF....

demolitio

I just want to know what they were running this game on in all of the media for this game. I don't get how it can run this poorly all across the board on all sorts of specs while looking worse than the old media no matter what settings you're on. I mean, we know of bullshots of course, but some of the videos are drastically different too.

How could Shogun 2 AT LAUNCH possibly LOOK AND RUN BETTER than Rome 2? How is it possible to upgrade an engine's visuals without it being upgraded currently?

I'm just really curious as to what's happened here. We expect some bugs and performance issues at launch with a Total War game since it's kind of a tradition, but this is the worst yet considering I could run Shogun 2 at max and get at least over 30-40 and went to constantly over 60 after the patch but now can't run Rome 2 on all sorts of mixed settings at a consistent 30? People keep saying it's all driver related, but I don't understand how that's an excuse for everything right now and how they seemed to run it fine in all pre-release videos. Most of the time, you can say it's because the devs were running the video on a monster PC to hide the performance issues, but something tells me your PC is beastly enough to confirm that's not the issue this time...

It's still a good game but they only hurt themselves launching in this state and word of mouth will be taking away a few sales from them for a while. How could they think it was a good idea to launch right now? All you can really do is pray that's just one random bug that will magically transform the game once it's fixed.

Anyway, Sparta is calling me.

Shogun 2 at launch didn't look better. It had the same automatic downgrading settings thing, with no way to turn it off. It had no AA, and was dx9 only.

FGMPR

Banned
CA need to seriously consider a public beta of some sort for pre-orders in the future games. This release isn't far off Empire's, which was appalling.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Hmmm I guess I just got lucky with this title. I'm playing on a laptop with decent specs and getting 25-30 fps on high.

Not going to take the plunge now cause I don't want to switch to AMD but when Maxwell cards are out, I'm in!

Anyways, anyone try the Arverni campagin yet? It's considered hard.
You start off with one ally and 3 or 4 ennemies after pretty much 8 turns. I'm trading with Massilia to boost my economy but time to time I have shortages of food. Been spending way too much money trying to assassinate my ennemies left and right (3 fails in a row with 85% chance...). I managed to to take Tolosa with a handful of troops well armed troops with lots of xp, our ennemies had 3 times our numbers. I kinda want the town north west of it but they have a massive armies idling in front of town.
My ally is worthless, he just sits there, I haven't seen him get into a fight yet :(

I've got an Arverni campaign on the go and have conquered all of Aquitania and Provincia. I struggled a bit early on just losing fights to enemies straight out and struggling with public order but I will have to build some buildings to increase public order.
I left my ally alone until I had conquered Burgildaria then went and took him out cause I wanted the province. I got lucky with Provincia as I had two stacks ready to attack and the AI attacked in the previous turn so I could take them relatively easily but now I'm fighting off spaniards form the South.

cripterion

I've got an Arverni campaign on the go and have conquered all of Aquitania and Provincia. I struggled a bit early on just losing fights to enemies straight out and struggling with public order but I will have to build some buildings to increase public order.
I left my ally alone until I had conquered Burgildaria then went and took him out cause I wanted the province. I got lucky with Provincia as I had two stacks ready to attack and the AI attacked in the previous turn so I could take them relatively easily but now I'm fighting off spaniards form the South.

Nice, I think I'll do the same thing, I'll just keep him for now and take him out later on to complete the province.
Germans give you any trouble yet? They have a hard on for me somehow and didn't even go into their territory.
I also want Massilia but I'm guessing it will be well defended as they always got 3 stacks of heroes even though they are waging war against german tribes. Looking for the right opportunity to strike. Obviously getting a port would open up some nice trade routes.

Germans haven't given me any troubles yet but the romans are starting to encroach. Not sure which way I am going to expand yet but I might end up going and taking all of Spain before starting to push East and North further and just play a defensive game.
I've ended up trying to research military strength early as I just find I was loosing fights really easily.

Also what do people think of the fight speed in the game so far? I think it might be a tad too quick for my liking, even on normal speed after I engage there isn't much actually fighting before units start routing. I'm not sure if that is just early game and due to low morale and it might change later on.

Inversive

Also what do people think of the fight speed in the game so far? I think it might be a tad too quick for my liking, even on normal speed after I engage there isn't much actually fighting before units start routing. I'm not sure if that is just early game and due to low morale and it might change later on.
It needs slowing down by like 50%...I've seen units break in in literally 1 second, it's stupidly fast.

Martian

Fight speed is definitely something thats bothering me. No fight I have fought has lasted longer than 5-10 minutes.
This is something I noticed in newer games, so should it get fixed I dont think they will last much longer

Addnan

Don't laugh, still pretty new to Total War games. I keep getting a "this character has an unassigned skill: Gnaeus Tadius Bulbus"when trying to end a turn. For the life of me I can't work out how to assign a skill.

edit: Damn I am stupid, just needed to click on general guy and apply it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Don't laugh, still pretty new to Total War games. I keep getting a "this character has an unassigned skill: Gnaeus Tadius Bulbus"when trying to end a turn. For the life of me I can't work out how to assign a skill.

Find the unit (you can click the arrows in the bottom left to switch between them), and then click Unit Details, it'll have an icon on it showing you can level it up.

Addnan

Find the unit (you can click the arrows in the bottom left to switch between them), and then click Unit Details, it'll have an icon on it showing you can level it up.

Yeah, just worked it out. Probably should have concentrated a bit more playing the prologue :p. Thanks!

Hystzen

edit: Damn I am stupid, just needed to click on general guy and apply it.

Don't worry it just the shitty UI making things harder then should be it must be worst attempt seen at streamlining for a while. Shogun 2 was streamlined and perfect no idea why they threw it all out of window

don't save scum, just take the losses with the victories! You think all great empires had success after success? NO SIR. Dealing with setbacks is all part of the game.

RTS need a Roguelike mode just to push the players to try this kind of experience. I'm one of the few that don't reload, is much much better.

GeoGonzo

It's weird how the skill trees are hidden in this game. You promote units exactly like in Civilization V.

I can see why they did it and how it tries to make your choice more straightforward instead of the Shogun 2 route, where you'd open the general/ninja/geisha skill tree with their first promotion and then stood there for a while, planning their eventual built... but I'm still debating if it is a good change. I liked knowing where things are going.

Im having huge slowdowns on the campaign map even in the lowest setting... this and the abyssal time it takes to wait between each turn... damn this game is slooooow

Top Bottom