• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome 2 |OT| I Came, I Saw, I Came

Few things I noticed:

• On normal factions are more active: they send economic treats, request to join wars, etc. compared to Shogun 2.
  • You can disband a unit and then rebuild it later to maintain its "legacy".
    myaZpna.png

Things to improve:
  • Enemy recruitment: I get attacked by armies consisting of mostly light ranged units. Can't resolve automatically because I get vvery low odds but if I manually play the battle my legionaries and cohorts slice through them like butter. Not fun to play because you're forced to engage in 5-8 minutes long battles that only the AI seems to pretend you're not gonna win.
  • Revamp sieges? I've yet to play a defensive and attacking siege in which the odds weren't heavily inn my favour, like 90-95% every time. Rebels and enemy armies simply don't pose a threat.
  • Tutorial. I had to play a few hours before realising Dignitaries are Shinsegumi and Champions are Foreign Advisors from Shogun 2. Just do a "you're a Shogun 2 player? Here's the differences!".
  • I still have no idea what's the purpose of the general overview tab: I sometimes arrange marriages and slander some of my generals but really have no idea what's the meaning of these actions. Except losing some senators every now and then.
  • Too many household traits with the same characteristics.

Jac_Solar

How much content does this game have? Like, different units, upgrades, content in general. And which is the most content rich Total War game without mods, and with mods?

Ticking the unlimited vram thing solved the whole looks like shit runs like shit issue for me. It looks good now and performance is solid with most settings on ultra with a gtx660. Had one crash so far during deployment phase of a siege but otherwise it's been smooth sailing.

was messing with this just now...seems like unless I have Unlimited vram checked, the other settings don't change anything

unlimited vram off - http://abload.de/img/rome22013-09-0318-35-5xbx1.png
unlimited vram on - http://abload.de/img/rome22013-09-0318-35-n2y8a.png

everything else on ultra/extreme

DrSlek

It certainly feels like more of a challenge than Shogun 2. The AI is less retarded, and creating a strong economy is more involved than just shoving a whole bunch of money making buildings into a city.

So as Britons I conquered all France and spain. Now going for Rome.

How do you win this game ? I'm so confused. I miss all my windows from shogun. I can't find half of the information I need... I play so safe and I feel i'm missing so much. I hate first playthrough haha

There's 3 ways to win. A cultural victory, a military victory, and I think the final one is an economic victory.
All require you to have complete control over certain regions, but each have different secondary objectives. A military victory might require you to have control of 80 regions on top of the 6 required. An economic victory might require that you maintain a certain level of income for a specific period of time.

Azulsky

Ticking the unlimited vram thing solved the whole looks like shit runs like shit issue for me. It looks good now and performance is solid with most settings on ultra with a gtx660. Had one crash so far during deployment phase of a siege but otherwise it's been smooth sailing.

This is what I have been reading around the net.

Its using up 2.6GB VRAM at the moment with Veg Alpha on, 2.3 without

Runs fine for me at full tilt 1200p. My card is set to throttle at 79C and I am hitting that but no noticeable framerate drops.

After spending a couple hours on it tonight and as a huge antiquity dork, it's an absolutely awesome beta.

Fiddling with the settings, most don't seem to impact that much the performance on my tired 560Ti, that is it doesn't run well anyway. I'll probably Dennis this shit, crank up everything, enjoy my 5 FPS and the smell of my card burning.

Also, fuck that prologue and being sent back to the title screen after winning battles. Without saving, obviously. Happened to me twice tonight.

Our folks will of course look at optimization; sometimes there isn't anything to find, but more often than not it's on the developer's end that things need to change. Then we can implement driver-end stuff.

In this case, I have nothing to report at this time.

Thanks for the response, wasn't trying to imply it was all on Nvidia of course but most major games these days seem to have drivers that launch with them so I suppose I was hoping for that sometime soon. Been a while since I've had a Total War game at launch :D

The unit detail really is insane, shame about how everything else is so inconsistent and the one AA solution so terrible. Hopefully the issues are ironed out some time soon.

Really don't understand why it launched with an AA on/off switch that doesn't seem to work. As I said I got the last few games past launch but they all had multiple AA settings and the like. The one Rome II has just doesn't work and I can't downsample because of the performance issues.

eznark

Banned
I don't understand the purpose of this launcher. Why does it exist? Why put another barrier to entering your game??

Ceebs

So number one thing I hate so far are the tooltips. They are worthless and contain no useful information forcing you to load up the slow TW encyclopedia.

DrSlek

The only major change I don't like so far is right clicking on a unit card bringing up the encyclopaedia instead of the unit stats & info.

I don't recall that happening in previous games, and I was only playing Shogun 2 a few days ago.

Facism

wait does the prologue end when you take the samanite capital or is there more? game quit to menu so i assumed that was it.

isual

Man,

I love the random battle conversations;

'have you seen my gladius ?'

also, is this right, later on its best to NOT BUILD any buildings because of squalor? Any only keep construction to a minimum ?

Azulsky

The projectile hits feel so much more organic and brutal than they have in the series.

The volley of Pilum before a legionary unit commits is just too good.

Pending that they get some things patched up with AI(CA) and even a bit of GFX tweaking(Nvidia) I think we have a winnar.

Smash88

Banned
As I predicted the game has the worst optimization.

And I get 1-2fps if I get a sea battle with rain. Unplayable.

Maxed out settings. 2560x1440.

i7 4770k
GTX Titan
16GB DDR3 2100MHz

Disappointed. Hopefully drivers can fix this.

eznark

Banned
Not sure if this was a bug or if this is just the way the prologue is set up. I finished the Defense of Visuvius and after the battle...am again asked to fortify my troops and defend Visuvius again? Like with the same dialogue and everything. I routed those fuckers in the first battle by the way so it's not like I failed the mission.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My i5 2500K is going to love this game!
Kill me.

Hearing disappointment about the anti-aliasing and UI is disappointing, if expected. Honestly, as much as I love Shogun 2, I've felt the presentation of the series has regressed pretty noticeably since Medieval II. I know it's not a favourite for many, but in terms of a clean, easy to understand UI and graphics engine that didn't alias to shit, and had a vibrant clean look, Medieval II was leaps and bounds above Empire, Napoleon, and Shogun 2.

The advent of heavy shader use has probably been detrimental to the series for aliasing.

Azulsky

I wonder if due to the crappy optimization this game will get the full multipage settings comparison by Nvidia like they did for Planetside 2.

Dmax3901

Finally played a good chunk of the campaign and it's awesome! Settings are turned down so forgetting that for a moment, I'm having a ball. Everything I do seems to have more purpose than previous Total Wars. There's an enemy army moving through my territory, in previous games I may have just let him go, but it's presence has taken such a huge toll on my cities public order that I pretty much have to attack him. I win the battle, my people are happy, my general goes up a rank, it all feels far more important than previous total wars.

Aranath

wait does the prologue end when you take the samanite capital or is there more? game quit to menu so i assumed that was it.

Same thing happened to me and I didn't get the achievement for completing the prologue. Seems to be a bit buggy. I've got my save from just before the final battle. I'll re-attempt it after a patch.

I haven't had too many problems so far in the 9 hours that I've played today (loving it, by the way). I've had a couple of crashes. One during the prologue when I brought up the recruit mercenary tab and then another when I was fiddling with graphical settings. With the latter my screen went red and my computer seemed to just shit itself.

My framerate has been pretty decent. I've got a mixture of Ultra and Extreme at 1080p with High unit size; AA, SSAO and distortion effects on; and vegetation alpha and DOF off. Ticking the 'unlimited video memory' box makes a huge difference. I didn't see a hit to my performance and the game looks significantly better. It's just a pity the AA is so damn blurry. By the way, changing unit size gave me a roughly 15fps boost in the benchmark going from Ultra to High. Otherwise, it's not as mind-blowingly gorgeous as I thought it would be, but it still has its moments of looking really pretty. The water, in particular, is amazing.

My specs, if anyone is interested for comparisons - i5 3570k @ 4.2, 7970 Ghz, 8GB RAM.

Lingitiz

Finally home to play more of this. I was able to find a good mix between very high/extreme settings last night to improve my FPS greatly, so not too many worries there. Hopefully they optimize it much more through patching and clean up the bugs/AI issues.

DrSlek

Man,

I love the random battle conversations;

'have you seen my gladius ?'

also, is this right, later on its best to NOT BUILD any buildings because of squalor? Any only keep construction to a minimum ?

My understanding is that you should try and offset high squalor buildings with cultural buildings that improve happiness. It would probably also pay to keep a few troops present in a high squalor town too.

I currently cannot build high level industrial and agricultural buildings in my capital as Iceni. I'm waiting for population growth so I can expand my capital and build a cultural building to make it safe to progress.

Edit: Also just figured out how to transport troops over the sea (didn't play much of the prologue). Took me a while to figure it out, but once I did I showed those Hibernians who rules Britannia
Had a great naval battle with the Hibernian natives. Close victory. Lost a lot of men. But conducted a beach landing against their village garrison with the remainder of my forces. According to the AI, I was outmatched, but I showed them!
Had to take care of their naval reinforcements before I could land. But once I did the rest of the battle was easy. The AI was so focused on holding the port capture point, that it allowed me to sneak my slingers and skirmishers op to the cliffs above them and shred them all to pieces while my melee forces bottles them in the port at both exits.

I love challenging battles like that. The last one I can think of that was similar was many years ago while playing Napoleon. Managed to take a region with 700 men against 3000 by holding the high ground.

eznark

Banned
Not sure if this was a bug or if this is just the way the prologue is set up. I finished the Defense of Visuvius and after the battle...am again asked to fortify my troops and defend Visuvius again? Like with the same dialogue and everything. I routed those fuckers in the first battle by the way so it's not like I failed the mission.

Same thing happened on the subsequent mission. Completed the battle, it spit me out to the campaign map as though the battle had never happened and now I need to fight it again.

Not sure if this helps performance but I'm quoting it anyway. Can anyone test this out?

The game does not auto detected and run using your GPU/Video Card. It uses your Integrated GPU. To fix this go to the Nvidia control panel, or whichever software your GPU uses, and force it to use your card.

Almighty

Well I think I am done with this game until I get a new computer or a patch or two has come out. Right now the only settings that are smooth look god awful, worse then Shogun 2 for me. Though that is not the worse part the shadows are bugged for me. They are as black as night and I found no way to fix them. Based on the forums I am not the only one who is having this problem either.

It's too bad I was looking forward to the game. Oh well. I am not really mad more disappointed. My PC is old so I knew this was a possibility , I took a chance and lost. Rome II will be the last major game I buy for the PC until my new rig.

Kainazzo

Finally started switching from Hastati to Legionaries. Now we're getting somewhere! Praetorians must just be Terminators. Syracuse has been the hard point so far, I lost 3 armies to them.

Top Bottom